|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the stormy place the Beagle visits where the people raise pigs and potatoes and catch fish?
(a) the Virgin Islands
(b) the Isle of Man
(c) the island of Santiago
(d) the island of Chiloe
2. Who are the unusually tall people compared to other natives of the area?
(a) the Patagonians
(b) the Tierrans
(c) the Incas
(d) the Argentinians
3. What do reddish brown clouds turn out to be?
(a) a reflection of the setting sun
(b) a destructive swarm of locusts
(c) a mirage
(d) a desert dust storm
4. What does the host at the Hacienda de San Isidro provide for Darwin?
(a) a secretary to transcribe his notes
(b) maps of the Chilean coastline
(c) a fresh horse and a guide
(d) clothes more suitable for the weather
5. What does Darwin see as the disadvantages such as monetary inflation and a sense of personal anonymity in Sydney?
(a) an ineffective government
(b) the effects of rapid growth
(c) the number of criminals there
(d) its distance from Europe
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darwin speculate about as he observes the snow melt percolating and loosening rocks?
2. Where does Darwin spend the night after descending the Blue Mountain plateau?
3. What provides Darwin with more evidence of the relationships between volcanic activity and earthquakes?
4. On his way up the coast of Chile toward Copiapo, why does Darwin turn inland toward the mining area?
5. What keeps Darwin on board the Beagle after it sails to Lima?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Darwin's exploration of the interior of the Tahitian Island.
2. Tell what Darwin thinks and observes about the rivers in the Andes Mountains.
3. Tell about the runaway sailors at the Chonos Archipelago.
4. Tell about Capt. Fitz Roy's talk with Patagonians before making it through the Magdalen Channel.
5. What evidence does Darwin find that sea beds are raised by nature to great heights?
6. What are conditions like at the copper mines of Jajuel?
7. How does Darwin describe a staple food on Tierra del Fuego?
8. Summarize Darwin's classification of coral reefs.
9. Explain what Darwin observes after landing at Hobart Town on the island of Tasmania.
10. Tell what has transpired on the trip from the Galapagos to Tahiti.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)