|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Darwin see on the way to a saltpeter mine?
(c) wild cattle
2. What does Darwin see as they continue through the Andes mountains?
(b) loose diamonds
(c) mountain goats
(d) rock slides
3. What must the people do at Iquique?
(a) build strong houses
(b) import everything
(c) fight the natives
(d) grow their own food
4. Where does Darwin spend the night after descending the Blue Mountain plateau?
(a) at a mission
(b) at a sheep ranch
(c) at a cotton plantation
(d) at a modern inn
5. Arriving in Matavai Bay, what do they see coming toward the Beagle?
(a) floating logs from a recent tsunami
(b) schools of porpoises
(c) many canoes launching from Tahiti
(d) Tahitians swimming out to greet them
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darwin observe along the rivers of the Andes?
2. Walking along a road cut through the landscape, what does Darwin reflect on?
3. To what does Darwin compare the convict slave laborers in Australia?
4. Where does Darwin particularly admire the view?
5. What turns out to be a raised plain about 3,000 feet above sea level?
Short Essay Questions
1. What route does Darwin take back to Chile and what he discovers on the way.
2. Describe Darwin's disappointment at the saltpeter mine.
3. Tell what has transpired on the trip from the Galapagos to Tahiti.
4. Tell what Darwin thinks and observes about the rivers in the Andes Mountains.
5. Tell something about the island of Chiloe.
6. What are the things Darwin notices at Keeling Island?
7. Explain Darwin's observations in the Galapagos that will later influence his scientific theories.
8. Relate what Darwin finds at Chatham Island in the Galapagos archipelago.
9. Describe Darwin's impressions at the bay of Valparaiso.
10. Tell about the runaway sailors at the Chonos Archipelago.
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)