|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the wooden houses best withstand the effects of the massive earthquake?
(a) where there are solid foundations
(b) the houseboats of Chiloe
(c) the town of Concepcion
(d) the Island of Valdivia
2. Where does Darwin particularly admire the view?
(a) the copper mines of Jajuel
(b) the Aqua del Guanaco spring
(c) the summit of Bell Mountain
(d) the Hacienda de San Isidro
3. What feeds the inhabitants' pigs and a large kind of crab on Keeling Island?
(a) berry bushes
(b) coconut trees
(c) wild rice
4. What impresses Darwin about the Tahitians?
(a) their modesty of dress
(b) their warlike nature
(c) their body covering tattoos
(d) their friendliness and good looks, despite their tattoos
5. What is it in which a large wooden spoon seems to dance to the rhythm of the music being played?
(a) a wedding ceremony
(b) a superstitious play put on by the natives
(c) an entertainment for children
(d) a war dance put on to frighten the Beagle crew
Short Answer Questions
1. What has meant giving up his usual social circles and going off into unknown territories to meet unforeseen hardships?
2. What does Darwin say is too great and ambitious for affection, yet not great enough for respect?
3. What social condition does Darwin argue against at the end of his book?
4. What is the strange phenomenon Darwin sees at the mountain summit?
5. Where does Darwin find olive and orange trees and many varieties of vegetables?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Darwin sees at Concepcion and why the houses are still standing.
2. How does Darwin describe the countryside coming down off the Blue Mountain plateau?
3. What are the things Darwin notices at Keeling Island?
4. Describe Darwin's impressions at the bay of Valparaiso.
5. How does Darwin react to Sydney, Australia?
6. Tell something about the island of Chiloe.
7. Explain what Darwin observes after landing at Hobart Town on the island of Tasmania.
8. What are conditions like at the copper mines of Jajuel?
9. Explain the problem of distance perception and atmospheric effects in the mountains.
10. Describe Darwin's disappointment at the saltpeter mine.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)