|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After sailing away from Chile, where does the Beagle go?
(a) Bogata, Columbia
(b) Lima, Peru
(c) Iquique in Peru
(d) Panama city
2. Why do they have a problem with making a meal at 11,000 feet?
(a) There are few sticks to use for making a fire.
(b) Their supplies are all frozen.
(c) The wind blows out their fire.
(d) Water boils at a very low temperature at this altitude.
3. How does Darwin describe the water at the lagoon?
(a) canary yellow
(b) light blue
(c) deep green
(d) almost white
4. To what does Darwin compare the convict slave laborers in Australia?
(a) the exiles on Devil's Rock
(b) the slum dwellers of London
(c) the slaves of Africa
(d) the conscripted military
5. What theory of Darwin's after observing the atolls is still considered valid today?
(a) how the atolls were formed
(b) what makes coral grow in a circle
(c) why atolls are disappearing
(d) how atolls help the ocean ecology
Short Answer Questions
1. What is located at the Bay of Valparaiso?
2. Who demonstrates their prowess with their spears launched with throwing sticks?
3. Where does Darwin find mostly desert with a few mines of low quality here and there?
4. What does Darwin see as they continue through the Andes mountains?
5. Where does Darwin spend the night after descending the Blue Mountain plateau?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are conditions like at the copper mines of Jajuel?
2. Tell what Darwin sees back off the coast of Chile and how he assesses the sight.
3. Tell about Capt. Fitz Roy's talk with Patagonians before making it through the Magdalen Channel.
4. Explain Darwin's impression of the geology of New Zealand.
5. What is Darwin's journal entry as they leave New Zealand?
6. How does Darwin describe the dress of the Chilean miner?
7. Summarize Darwin's classification of coral reefs.
8. How does Darwin describe the countryside coming down off the Blue Mountain plateau?
9. Describe Darwin's disappointment at the saltpeter mine.
10. Tell something about the island of Chiloe.
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)