|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Darwin spend the night after descending the Blue Mountain plateau?
(a) at a cotton plantation
(b) at a sheep ranch
(c) at a modern inn
(d) at a mission
2. What must the people do at Iquique?
(a) fight the natives
(b) import everything
(c) build strong houses
(d) grow their own food
3. What is the strange phenomenon Darwin sees at the mountain summit?
(a) red snow
(b) rock flowers
(c) ice castles
(d) black rain
4. From where do many of the people living in Port Louis come?
(a) South Africa
5. What does Darwin discover on the way back to Chile by way of the Uspallata pass north of Mendoza?
(a) quarts cliffs of many colors
(b) silicified wood in the form of standing tree trunks
(c) ruins of an ancient civilization
(d) hot springs where he stops to bathe
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Darwin find fossil rich deposits and evidence of a recent land elevation?
2. What does Darwin see on the way to a saltpeter mine?
3. What provides Darwin with more evidence of the relationships between volcanic activity and earthquakes?
4. What does Darwin see as the disadvantages such as monetary inflation and a sense of personal anonymity in Sydney?
5. Exploring the Chiloe eastern coastline, what does Darwin observe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Darwin's impression of the geology of New Zealand.
2. Tell about Capt. Fitz Roy's talk with Patagonians before making it through the Magdalen Channel.
3. Tell what Darwin sees back off the coast of Chile and how he assesses the sight.
4. What route does Darwin take back to Chile and what he discovers on the way.
5. What are conditions like at the copper mines of Jajuel?
6. How does Darwin describe the dress of the Chilean miner?
7. Describe Darwin's impressions at the bay of Valparaiso.
8. Tell what has transpired on the trip from the Galapagos to Tahiti.
9. Explain what Darwin observes after landing at Hobart Town on the island of Tasmania.
10. Summarize Darwin's classification of coral reefs.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)