|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What turns out to be a raised plain about 3,000 feet above sea level?
(a) the Blue Mountains
(b) Ayers Rock
(c) the inland sea bed
(d) the Blue Mountain foothills
2. What does Darwin come across that has all the trappings of an English farm?
(a) a settlement of Dutch reformers
(b) a missionary settlement
(c) a prison farm
(d) an experimental farm
3. What does Darwin see that is the size of a rabbit but looks like a kangaroo?
(a) a kangaroo rat
(b) a jackalope
(c) a jack rabbit
(d) a kangaroo cat
4. After sailing away from Chile, where does the Beagle go?
(a) Panama city
(b) Lima, Peru
(c) Iquique in Peru
(d) Bogata, Columbia
5. What does Darwin see as the disadvantages such as monetary inflation and a sense of personal anonymity in Sydney?
(a) the effects of rapid growth
(b) an ineffective government
(c) its distance from Europe
(d) the number of criminals there
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Darwin and Mariano Gonzales take ten pack mules on the trek across the Andes?
2. What is at the center of the atoll called Keeling Island?
3. What do reddish brown clouds turn out to be?
4. What does Darwin see from the Blue Mountains?
5. What must Darwin and his guide cross on the way back to Hacienda de San Isidro?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comment does Darwin make about slavery in Australia?
2. Explain what Darwin sees at Concepcion and why the houses are still standing.
3. Tell about Capt. Fitz Roy's talk with Patagonians before making it through the Magdalen Channel.
4. Explain Darwin's impression of the geology of New Zealand.
5. Summarize Darwin's classification of coral reefs.
6. What is Darwin's journal entry as they leave New Zealand?
7. How does Darwin describe the countryside coming down off the Blue Mountain plateau?
8. How does Darwin describe a staple food on Tierra del Fuego?
9. Describe Darwin's disappointment at the saltpeter mine.
10. How does Darwin describe the dress of the Chilean miner?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)