|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the modern name of the large island off the eastern coast of Africa, known at the time Darwin was there as the Isle of France?
2. On his second attempt, what is Capt. Fitz Roy able to navigate successfully?
(a) the Sea of Sighs
(b) the Great Barrier Reef
(c) the Strait of Magellan
(d) the Antarctic Channel
3. How does Darwin compare the natives of New Zealand to the Tahitians?
(a) about the same
(b) shorter and less attractive
(c) more warlike and unpleasant company
(d) better educated and more peaceful
4. What is located at the Bay of Valparaiso?
(a) the first of the southern islands
(b) Horsetail Falls
(c) the primary Chilean seaport
(d) the last Spanish trading post
5. Who demonstrates their prowess with their spears launched with throwing sticks?
(a) Australian aborigines
(b) Australian soldiers
(c) Australian school children
(d) Australian cowboys
Short Answer Questions
1. Leaving Lima, where does the Beagle sail?
2. What does Darwin discover at the saltpeter mine?
3. Where do the wooden houses best withstand the effects of the massive earthquake?
4. Who are the unusually tall people compared to other natives of the area?
5. What social condition does Darwin argue against at the end of his book?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)