|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What theory about volcanic activity and earthquakes does Darwin form that is years ahead of his time?
(a) fissures run along the same direction as the earthquake fault line
(b) volcanoes create fault lines in the earth
(c) fault lines come from underwater volcanoes
(d) volcanic activity has nothing to do with earthquakes
2. What keeps Darwin on board the Beagle after it sails to Lima?
(a) the political unrest in Peru
(b) a cholera epidemic in Peru
(c) his weakened health
(d) his lost passport
3. What causes massive destruction and takes many lives at Valdavia?
(a) the eruption of several volcanoes
(b) huge tsunamis
(c) a cyclone
(d) landslides off the mountains
4. Where is the Beagle after passing through the Strait of Magellan?
(a) the mouth of an unnamed river
(b) headed toward New Zealand
(c) the relatively calm Pacific Ocean
(d) the Antarctic Sea
5. From where do many of the people living in Port Louis come?
(a) South Africa
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Darwin not explore the forest of Chiloe?
2. What unusual thing exists on another island some miles away from Keeling Island?
3. After the miserable climate around Tierra del Fuego, what does Darwin enjoy about Chile?
4. What is the stormy place the Beagle visits where the people raise pigs and potatoes and catch fish?
5. What does Darwin find in relationship to his interest in plants and animals?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)