|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the host at the Hacienda de San Isidro provide for Darwin?
(a) clothes more suitable for the weather
(b) a secretary to transcribe his notes
(c) a fresh horse and a guide
(d) maps of the Chilean coastline
2. What is a principal industry of Chile that Darwin observes?
(a) jewelry making
(b) mining copper and gold
(c) ship building
(d) iron smelting
3. Why can Darwin not explore the forest of Chiloe?
(a) It is too thick to pass through.
(b) It is too wet to support horse or man,
(c) It is held sacred by the natives.
(d) It is filled with poisonous plants.
4. What does Darwin say is too great and ambitious for affection, yet not great enough for respect?
(d) New Zealand
5. Where does Darwin see plants and animals similar to what he saw on the plains of Patagonia?
(a) at their camp at Los Arenales
(b) at Machu Picchu
(c) in mountain caves
(d) at the summit of the mountains
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Beagle head after New Zealand?
2. Arriving in Matavai Bay, what do they see coming toward the Beagle?
3. On his second attempt, what is Capt. Fitz Roy able to navigate successfully?
4. What must Darwin and his guide cross on the way back to Hacienda de San Isidro?
5. What does Darwin begin to notice about the different Galapagos islands?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)