|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What unusual thing exists on another island some miles away from Keeling Island?
(a) fresh water wells
(b) strange monoliths
(c) hot spring geysers
(d) deciduous trees
2. What is at the center of the atoll called Keeling Island?
(a) the shallow and calm waters of a lagoon
(b) a fresh water lake
(c) evidence of a volcanic origin
(d) several small coral reefs
3. What is it in which a large wooden spoon seems to dance to the rhythm of the music being played?
(a) a war dance put on to frighten the Beagle crew
(b) a wedding ceremony
(c) a superstitious play put on by the natives
(d) an entertainment for children
4. Why do Darwin and Mariano Gonzales take ten pack mules on the trek across the Andes?
(a) in case they get lost
(b) in case they become snowed in
(c) in case they have to hire extra guides
(d) in case they stay longer than planned
5. Where does Darwin spend the night after descending the Blue Mountain plateau?
(a) at a mission
(b) at a cotton plantation
(c) at a sheep ranch
(d) at a modern inn
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Darwin not explore the forest of Chiloe?
2. What do reddish brown clouds turn out to be?
3. From where do many of the people living in Port Louis come?
4. What is the strange phenomenon Darwin sees at the mountain summit?
5. What do Darwin and some crew members walk on when they visit the island of San Pedro?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tell about the runaway sailors at the Chonos Archipelago.
2. Explain Darwin's observations in the Galapagos that will later influence his scientific theories.
3. Tell something about the island of Chiloe.
4. What are the things Darwin notices at Keeling Island?
5. How does Darwin sum up his voyage at its end?
6. How does Darwin react to Sydney, Australia?
7. How does Darwin describe the dress of the Chilean miner?
8. How does Darwin react to Mauritius, known at that time as the Isle of France?
9. What comment does Darwin make about slavery in Australia?
10. Explain what Darwin sees at Concepcion and why the houses are still standing.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)