|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the Beagle after passing through the Strait of Magellan?
(a) headed toward New Zealand
(b) the Antarctic Sea
(c) the relatively calm Pacific Ocean
(d) the mouth of an unnamed river
2. How does Darwin get to the Blue Mountains?
(a) riding a camel
(b) across the Nepean River in a ferry boat
(c) in a buckboard wagon
(d) across the Australian desert
3. On his way up the coast of Chile toward Copiapo, why does Darwin turn inland toward the mining area?
(a) He is bored looking at the sea all the time.
(b) He does not find much of interest along the coast.
(c) The coastline becomes impassable.
(d) He hears about strange plant life at the mines.
4. What unusual thing exists on another island some miles away from Keeling Island?
(a) strange monoliths
(b) hot spring geysers
(c) deciduous trees
(d) fresh water wells
5. What must Darwin and his guide cross on the way back to Hacienda de San Isidro?
(a) a suspension bridge made of rope and hide
(b) a rapids in a mountain river
(c) a dry, parched desert
(d) a line of military guarding the border
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darwin discover at the saltpeter mine?
2. Where does Darwin prepare to cross the Andes Mountains through the Portillo pass?
3. Why does the Beagle stop for three days at the Chonos Archipelago?
4. What reception does the Beagle receive at New Zealand?
5. Where does Darwin find fossil rich deposits and evidence of a recent land elevation?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)