|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are farms operated in Australia as Darwin rides through the countryside?
(a) by large families who do all the work
(b) with the use of child labor
(c) with forced labor from convicted felons
(d) by large numbers of horseback managers
2. Why must they stop regularly while ascending Peuquenes ridge?
(a) because the mules get tired
(b) because of plants Darwin discovers
(c) because the rock formations shift
(d) because of the thin air
3. What social condition does Darwin argue against at the end of his book?
4. What is the modern name of the large island off the eastern coast of Africa, known at the time Darwin was there as the Isle of France?
5. What provides Darwin with more evidence of the relationships between volcanic activity and earthquakes?
(a) the shape of the coast after the volcanoes erupt
(b) the stories people tell about past disasters
(c) the temperature of the water after the tsunami
(d) the destruction after the Valdivia earthquake
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Darwin and some crew members walk on when they visit the island of San Pedro?
2. Arriving in Matavai Bay, what do they see coming toward the Beagle?
3. What turns out to be a raised plain about 3,000 feet above sea level?
4. What does Darwin see at Chatham Island?
5. What does Darwin see from the Blue Mountains?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Darwin observes after landing at Hobart Town on the island of Tasmania.
2. Explain Darwin's observations in the Galapagos that will later influence his scientific theories.
3. Explain what Darwin sees at Concepcion and why the houses are still standing.
4. Tell what Darwin thinks and observes about the rivers in the Andes Mountains.
5. What comment does Darwin make about slavery in Australia?
6. Describe Darwin's exploration of the interior of the Tahitian Island.
7. Explain the problem of distance perception and atmospheric effects in the mountains.
8. What evidence does Darwin find that sea beds are raised by nature to great heights?
9. Relate what Darwin finds at Chatham Island in the Galapagos archipelago.
10. Explain Darwin's impression of the geology of New Zealand.
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)