|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are farms operated in Australia as Darwin rides through the countryside?
(a) with forced labor from convicted felons
(b) by large numbers of horseback managers
(c) with the use of child labor
(d) by large families who do all the work
2. Leaving Lima, where does the Beagle sail?
(a) back to Chile
(b) Panama City
(c) Baja California
(d) the Galapagos archipelago
3. What impresses Darwin about the Tahitians?
(a) their body covering tattoos
(b) their warlike nature
(c) their modesty of dress
(d) their friendliness and good looks, despite their tattoos
4. What do reddish brown clouds turn out to be?
(a) a mirage
(b) a destructive swarm of locusts
(c) a reflection of the setting sun
(d) a desert dust storm
5. How does Darwin compare the natives of New Zealand to the Tahitians?
(a) shorter and less attractive
(b) better educated and more peaceful
(c) about the same
(d) more warlike and unpleasant company
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a principal industry of Chile that Darwin observes?
2. Headed back towards Chiloe, what does Darwin observe at night?
3. Why must they stop regularly while ascending Peuquenes ridge?
4. What social condition does Darwin argue against at the end of his book?
5. What reception does the Beagle receive at New Zealand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence does Darwin find that sea beds are raised by nature to great heights?
2. How does Darwin describe the countryside coming down off the Blue Mountain plateau?
3. How does Darwin describe the dress of the Chilean miner?
4. Tell about Capt. Fitz Roy's talk with Patagonians before making it through the Magdalen Channel.
5. What are the things Darwin notices at Keeling Island?
6. How does Darwin sum up his voyage at its end?
7. Explain Darwin's observations in the Galapagos that will later influence his scientific theories.
8. Tell about the runaway sailors at the Chonos Archipelago.
9. How does Darwin react to Mauritius, known at that time as the Isle of France?
10. Explain what Darwin sees at Concepcion and why the houses are still standing.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)