|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the stormy place the Beagle visits where the people raise pigs and potatoes and catch fish?
(a) the island of Chiloe
(b) the Virgin Islands
(c) the island of Santiago
(d) the Isle of Man
2. Who are the six sailors who show up at the Beagle?
(a) guards from a prisoner ship
(b) runaways from a whaling ship
(c) survivors of a shipwreck
(d) keepers of a lighthouse
3. What is the modern name of the large island off the eastern coast of Africa, known at the time Darwin was there as the Isle of France?
4. What feeds the inhabitants' pigs and a large kind of crab on Keeling Island?
(a) berry bushes
(b) coconut trees
(d) wild rice
5. What disturbs Darwin about the corn harvest in the area?
(a) the color of the corn
(b) the convict slave labor
(c) the way it is harvested
(d) the poor quality of the corn
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Darwin describe the dress of the Chilean miners?
2. How does Darwin get to the Blue Mountains?
3. What is a principal industry of Chile that Darwin observes?
4. After sailing away from Chile, where does the Beagle go?
5. What do reddish brown clouds turn out to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Darwin's journal entry as they leave New Zealand?
2. What are conditions like at the copper mines of Jajuel?
3. How does Darwin sum up his voyage at its end?
4. Tell something about the island of Chiloe.
5. Relate what Darwin finds at Chatham Island in the Galapagos archipelago.
6. Describe Darwin's disappointment at the saltpeter mine.
7. What evidence does Darwin find that sea beds are raised by nature to great heights?
8. Explain the problem of distance perception and atmospheric effects in the mountains.
9. What comment does Darwin make about slavery in Australia?
10. Tell about Capt. Fitz Roy's talk with Patagonians before making it through the Magdalen Channel.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)