|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Darwin discover at the saltpeter mine?
(a) thistle forests
(b) crystal formations
(c) hot springs
(d) nothing remarkable
2. Where does Darwin find fossil rich deposits and evidence of a recent land elevation?
(a) New South Wales
(b) Ayers Rock
(d) near Perth
3. What does Darwin see on the way to a saltpeter mine?
(c) wild cattle
4. What is at the center of the atoll called Keeling Island?
(a) evidence of a volcanic origin
(b) several small coral reefs
(c) the shallow and calm waters of a lagoon
(d) a fresh water lake
5. What is located at the Bay of Valparaiso?
(a) the first of the southern islands
(b) Horsetail Falls
(c) the last Spanish trading post
(d) the primary Chilean seaport
Short Answer Questions
1. Leaving Lima, where does the Beagle sail?
2. Where does Darwin see plants and animals similar to what he saw on the plains of Patagonia?
3. How are farms operated in Australia as Darwin rides through the countryside?
4. What are the Kauai pine?
5. What turns out to be a raised plain about 3,000 feet above sea level?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comment does Darwin make about slavery in Australia?
2. How does Darwin describe the countryside coming down off the Blue Mountain plateau?
3. How does Darwin describe the dress of the Chilean miner?
4. Explain the problem of distance perception and atmospheric effects in the mountains.
5. Summarize Darwin's classification of coral reefs.
6. How does Darwin react to Sydney, Australia?
7. What evidence does Darwin find that sea beds are raised by nature to great heights?
8. How does Darwin sum up his voyage at its end?
9. How does Darwin react to Mauritius, known at that time as the Isle of France?
10. How does Darwin describe a staple food on Tierra del Fuego?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)