|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the six sailors who show up at the Beagle?
(a) keepers of a lighthouse
(b) survivors of a shipwreck
(c) runaways from a whaling ship
(d) guards from a prisoner ship
2. Why does the Beagle stop for three days at the Chonos Archipelago?
(a) to look for crew members
(b) because of a storm
(c) to replenish its supplies
(d) because of sickness
3. Where does Darwin see plants and animals similar to what he saw on the plains of Patagonia?
(a) at the summit of the mountains
(b) at Machu Picchu
(c) at their camp at Los Arenales
(d) in mountain caves
4. Why can Darwin not explore the forest of Chiloe?
(a) It is held sacred by the natives.
(b) It is filled with poisonous plants.
(c) It is too wet to support horse or man,
(d) It is too thick to pass through.
5. What does the host at the Hacienda de San Isidro provide for Darwin?
(a) clothes more suitable for the weather
(b) maps of the Chilean coastline
(c) a secretary to transcribe his notes
(d) a fresh horse and a guide
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Darwin find fossil rich deposits and evidence of a recent land elevation?
2. How long has Darwin been at sea by the time he visits New Zealand?
3. What does Darwin discover at the saltpeter mine?
4. What does Darwin come across that has all the trappings of an English farm?
5. What keeps Darwin on board the Beagle after it sails to Lima?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comment does Darwin make about slavery in Australia?
2. How does Darwin describe a staple food on Tierra del Fuego?
3. Tell about Capt. Fitz Roy's talk with Patagonians before making it through the Magdalen Channel.
4. What is Darwin's journal entry as they leave New Zealand?
5. What are the things Darwin notices at Keeling Island?
6. Summarize Darwin's classification of coral reefs.
7. Explain the problem of distance perception and atmospheric effects in the mountains.
8. Tell about the runaway sailors at the Chonos Archipelago.
9. What route does Darwin take back to Chile and what he discovers on the way.
10. Tell what Darwin thinks and observes about the rivers in the Andes Mountains.
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)