|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens at Valdivia?
(a) a massive earthquake
(b) the Beagle hits a reef
(c) a hailstorm
(d) the Beagle runs aground
2. What is the stormy place the Beagle visits where the people raise pigs and potatoes and catch fish?
(a) the Virgin Islands
(b) the island of Chiloe
(c) the Isle of Man
(d) the island of Santiago
3. What provides Darwin with more evidence of the relationships between volcanic activity and earthquakes?
(a) the shape of the coast after the volcanoes erupt
(b) the stories people tell about past disasters
(c) the destruction after the Valdivia earthquake
(d) the temperature of the water after the tsunami
4. What does Darwin see on the way to a saltpeter mine?
(a) wild cattle
5. Where does Darwin find olive and orange trees and many varieties of vegetables?
(a) at the Bay of Valparaiso
(b) in the Valley of Paradise
(c) on the sides of Mount Compana
(d) in the Market of Santiago
Short Answer Questions
1. How are farms operated in Australia as Darwin rides through the countryside?
2. What is a principal industry of Chile that Darwin observes?
3. What does Darwin see that is the size of a rabbit but looks like a kangaroo?
4. How does Darwin get to the Blue Mountains?
5. Who are the unusually tall people compared to other natives of the area?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence does Darwin find that sea beds are raised by nature to great heights?
2. Tell about the runaway sailors at the Chonos Archipelago.
3. Tell what Darwin thinks and observes about the rivers in the Andes Mountains.
4. Tell about Capt. Fitz Roy's talk with Patagonians before making it through the Magdalen Channel.
5. What are the things Darwin notices at Keeling Island?
6. How does Darwin describe a staple food on Tierra del Fuego?
7. Describe Darwin's disappointment at the saltpeter mine.
8. Explain what Darwin sees at Concepcion and why the houses are still standing.
9. How does Darwin react to Sydney, Australia?
10. How does Darwin react to Mauritius, known at that time as the Isle of France?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)