|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Darwin's assessment of New Zealand?
(a) It is not a pleasant place.
(b) It is too isolated.
(c) It is not diverse.
(d) It is a paradise.
2. What does Darwin see on the way to a saltpeter mine?
(a) wild cattle
3. Where does Darwin find fossil rich deposits and evidence of a recent land elevation?
(a) Ayers Rock
(c) near Perth
(d) New South Wales
4. What is at the center of the atoll called Keeling Island?
(a) several small coral reefs
(b) the shallow and calm waters of a lagoon
(c) a fresh water lake
(d) evidence of a volcanic origin
5. What reception does the Beagle receive at New Zealand?
(a) a lackluster welcome from one canoe
(b) a thousand canoes of Maori
(c) a war party in canoes
(d) no welcome at all
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Darwin compare the natives of New Zealand to the Tahitians?
2. What does Darwin see as they continue through the Andes mountains?
3. Why does the Beagle stop for three days at the Chonos Archipelago?
4. How are farms operated in Australia as Darwin rides through the countryside?
5. On his second attempt, what is Capt. Fitz Roy able to navigate successfully?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Darwin observes after landing at Hobart Town on the island of Tasmania.
2. Tell about Capt. Fitz Roy's talk with Patagonians before making it through the Magdalen Channel.
3. How does Darwin describe the dress of the Chilean miner?
4. How does Darwin describe the countryside coming down off the Blue Mountain plateau?
5. What are conditions like at the copper mines of Jajuel?
6. Describe Darwin's impressions at the bay of Valparaiso.
7. What is Darwin's journal entry as they leave New Zealand?
8. Explain Darwin's impression of the geology of New Zealand.
9. How does Darwin sum up his voyage at its end?
10. Relate what Darwin finds at Chatham Island in the Galapagos archipelago.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)