|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a principal industry of Chile that Darwin observes?
(a) iron smelting
(b) jewelry making
(c) mining copper and gold
(d) ship building
2. Where is the Beagle after passing through the Strait of Magellan?
(a) headed toward New Zealand
(b) the Antarctic Sea
(c) the relatively calm Pacific Ocean
(d) the mouth of an unnamed river
3. Where does Darwin particularly admire the view?
(a) the Aqua del Guanaco spring
(b) the copper mines of Jajuel
(c) the Hacienda de San Isidro
(d) the summit of Bell Mountain
4. What does Darwin see on the way to a saltpeter mine?
(b) wild cattle
5. What is Darwin's assessment of New Zealand?
(a) It is too isolated.
(b) It is not a pleasant place.
(c) It is a paradise.
(d) It is not diverse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Darwin prepare to cross the Andes Mountains through the Portillo pass?
2. What does Darwin discover on the way back to Chile by way of the Uspallata pass north of Mendoza?
3. What does Darwin write about the Chilean miners?
4. What is the product of the ugly palms Darwin sees going up the mountain?
5. Why does the Beagle stop for three days at the Chonos Archipelago?
Short Essay Questions
1. Relate what Darwin finds at Chatham Island in the Galapagos archipelago.
2. Tell what Darwin thinks and observes about the rivers in the Andes Mountains.
3. What is Darwin's journal entry as they leave New Zealand?
4. Tell what has transpired on the trip from the Galapagos to Tahiti.
5. What route does Darwin take back to Chile and what he discovers on the way.
6. What comment does Darwin make about slavery in Australia?
7. Explain what Darwin observes after landing at Hobart Town on the island of Tasmania.
8. Describe Darwin's exploration of the interior of the Tahitian Island.
9. Tell something about the island of Chiloe.
10. What evidence does Darwin find that sea beds are raised by nature to great heights?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)