|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Darwin write about the Chilean miners?
(a) They spend all their money on drink and clothes.
(b) They work long hours and enjoy life.
(c) They get paid large salaries.
(d) They are allowed to keep part of what they mine.
2. Leaving Lima, where does the Beagle sail?
(a) the Galapagos archipelago
(b) back to Chile
(c) Panama City
(d) Baja California
3. What does Darwin say is too great and ambitious for affection, yet not great enough for respect?
(c) New Zealand
4. Where do the wooden houses best withstand the effects of the massive earthquake?
(a) the houseboats of Chiloe
(b) the Island of Valdivia
(c) where there are solid foundations
(d) the town of Concepcion
5. Why does the Beagle stop for three days at the Chonos Archipelago?
(a) to look for crew members
(b) to replenish its supplies
(c) because of a storm
(d) because of sickness
Short Answer Questions
1. What social condition does Darwin argue against at the end of his book?
2. What theory about volcanic activity and earthquakes does Darwin form that is years ahead of his time?
3. What do Darwin and some crew members walk on when they visit the island of San Pedro?
4. What provides Darwin with more evidence of the relationships between volcanic activity and earthquakes?
5. Who are the unusually tall people compared to other natives of the area?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Darwin's impression of the geology of New Zealand.
2. What route does Darwin take back to Chile and what he discovers on the way.
3. What evidence does Darwin find that sea beds are raised by nature to great heights?
4. Describe Darwin's exploration of the interior of the Tahitian Island.
5. Explain what Darwin sees at Concepcion and why the houses are still standing.
6. Tell what has transpired on the trip from the Galapagos to Tahiti.
7. Tell what Darwin thinks and observes about the rivers in the Andes Mountains.
8. How does Darwin describe the countryside coming down off the Blue Mountain plateau?
9. Summarize Darwin's classification of coral reefs.
10. What are the things Darwin notices at Keeling Island?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)