|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Darwin spend the night after descending the Blue Mountain plateau?
(a) at a modern inn
(b) at a mission
(c) at a sheep ranch
(d) at a cotton plantation
2. What does Darwin see from the Blue Mountains?
(a) vast areas of farmland
(b) cliffs with magnificent views of a harbor
(c) many ships sailing around the continent
(d) tall trees growing in the valleys below
3. What do Darwin and some crew members walk on when they visit the island of San Pedro?
(a) soft, black sand
(b) layers of dry salt
(c) layers of logs several yards thick
(d) hot rocks from a volcano
4. Where does Darwin see plants and animals similar to what he saw on the plains of Patagonia?
(a) at Machu Picchu
(b) at the summit of the mountains
(c) in mountain caves
(d) at their camp at Los Arenales
5. Why do they have a problem with making a meal at 11,000 feet?
(a) Their supplies are all frozen.
(b) The wind blows out their fire.
(c) There are few sticks to use for making a fire.
(d) Water boils at a very low temperature at this altitude.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the modern name of the large island off the eastern coast of Africa, known at the time Darwin was there as the Isle of France?
2. Why does the Beagle stop for three days at the Chonos Archipelago?
3. What does Darwin write about the Chilean miners?
4. Headed back towards Chiloe, what does Darwin observe at night?
5. What must the people do at Iquique?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Darwin's exploration of the interior of the Tahitian Island.
2. How does Darwin react to Mauritius, known at that time as the Isle of France?
3. Tell what Darwin thinks and observes about the rivers in the Andes Mountains.
4. Relate what Darwin finds at Chatham Island in the Galapagos archipelago.
5. How does Darwin describe the dress of the Chilean miner?
6. Tell what has transpired on the trip from the Galapagos to Tahiti.
7. What is Darwin's journal entry as they leave New Zealand?
8. What evidence does Darwin find that sea beds are raised by nature to great heights?
9. Explain Darwin's observations in the Galapagos that will later influence his scientific theories.
10. Tell about the runaway sailors at the Chonos Archipelago.
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)