|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Darwin come across that has all the trappings of an English farm?
(a) a prison farm
(b) an experimental farm
(c) a settlement of Dutch reformers
(d) a missionary settlement
2. How long has Darwin been at sea by the time he visits New Zealand?
(a) nine months
(b) three years
(c) a year and a half
(d) four years
3. Who are the six sailors who show up at the Beagle?
(a) guards from a prisoner ship
(b) keepers of a lighthouse
(c) runaways from a whaling ship
(d) survivors of a shipwreck
4. What does Darwin begin to notice about the different Galapagos islands?
(a) each island has different kinds of frogs
(b) the natural inhabitants of each island differ in slight ways
(c) the birds do not pass from one island to another
(d) the animals and plants are all the same
5. On his way up the coast of Chile toward Copiapo, why does Darwin turn inland toward the mining area?
(a) The coastline becomes impassable.
(b) He hears about strange plant life at the mines.
(c) He is bored looking at the sea all the time.
(d) He does not find much of interest along the coast.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darwin write about the Chilean miners?
2. What has Darwin observed on the 3,200 mile trip from the Galapagos?
3. How does Darwin describe the dress of the Chilean miners?
4. On his second attempt, what is Capt. Fitz Roy able to navigate successfully?
5. What notable landmark does Darwin see on St. Helen's Island?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Darwin's disappointment at the saltpeter mine.
2. Tell what Darwin thinks and observes about the rivers in the Andes Mountains.
3. Explain the problem of distance perception and atmospheric effects in the mountains.
4. Summarize Darwin's classification of coral reefs.
5. Describe Darwin's impressions at the bay of Valparaiso.
6. Relate what Darwin finds at Chatham Island in the Galapagos archipelago.
7. What comment does Darwin make about slavery in Australia?
8. How does Darwin react to Mauritius, known at that time as the Isle of France?
9. Explain Darwin's impression of the geology of New Zealand.
10. How does Darwin describe the dress of the Chilean miner?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)