|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the product of the ugly palms Darwin sees going up the mountain?
(a) sweet sap from which syrup is made
(b) thatching for shack roofs
(c) fiber for making ropes
(d) large dates used to feed cattle
2. What does Darwin see as the disadvantages such as monetary inflation and a sense of personal anonymity in Sydney?
(a) the number of criminals there
(b) an ineffective government
(c) the effects of rapid growth
(d) its distance from Europe
3. Where does the Beagle head after New Zealand?
(b) Sydney, Australia
(c) the Philippines
4. How long has Darwin been at sea by the time he visits New Zealand?
(a) three years
(b) nine months
(c) four years
(d) a year and a half
5. What keeps Darwin on board the Beagle after it sails to Lima?
(a) a cholera epidemic in Peru
(b) his weakened health
(c) the political unrest in Peru
(d) his lost passport
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the six sailors who show up at the Beagle?
2. What does Darwin say is too great and ambitious for affection, yet not great enough for respect?
3. Why must they stop regularly while ascending Peuquenes ridge?
4. What theory about volcanic activity and earthquakes does Darwin form that is years ahead of his time?
5. How does Darwin compare the natives of New Zealand to the Tahitians?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Darwin's impressions at the bay of Valparaiso.
2. Tell about Capt. Fitz Roy's talk with Patagonians before making it through the Magdalen Channel.
3. Tell what Darwin thinks and observes about the rivers in the Andes Mountains.
4. Explain what Darwin observes after landing at Hobart Town on the island of Tasmania.
5. What evidence does Darwin find that sea beds are raised by nature to great heights?
6. Explain Darwin's observations in the Galapagos that will later influence his scientific theories.
7. How does Darwin describe a staple food on Tierra del Fuego?
8. What comment does Darwin make about slavery in Australia?
9. Relate what Darwin finds at Chatham Island in the Galapagos archipelago.
10. Summarize Darwin's classification of coral reefs.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)