|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do seals and penguins surround the ship and make noises that resemble cattle?
(a) off the coast of Antarctica
(b) the Plata estuary
(c) headed north from Rio de Janeiro
(d) just of the coast from Rio de Janeiro
2. How does Darwin end up bringing his own horse down?
(a) climbing up a ravine
(b) attempting to use a bola
(c) trying to lasso a steer
(d) jumping over a cactus
3. What does the evening meal consist of at Don Juan Fuentes' house?
(a) barbecued goat and wine
(b) nothing but meat and water
(c) only a variety of vegetables
(d) fried eggs and flying fish
4. In addition to the volcanic formation of St. Domingo, what does Darwin notice about the island?
(a) large mud floes
(b) a band of chalk
(c) strange stratas of slate
(d) evidence of diamond formations
5. What is Capt. Fitz Roy's plan after anchoring at the mouth of the Santa Cruz River?
(a) to trade with natives who come in canoes
(b) to spend a few weeks fishing
(c) to take boats up the river as far as he can
(d) to anchor there for the winter
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Darwin describe Gen. Rosas?
2. What animal life does Darwin observe on the trail?
3. What does Darwin speculate about the continents?
4. What does Darwin see at Punta Alta?
5. What is a particular riding skill of a gaucho?
Short Essay Questions
1. What occurs in the Plata estuary?
2. What does Darwin surmise about the geology of St. Jago?
3. What problem ensues after the Portuguese priest makes a kill in the forest?
4. How does Darwin surmise that animals similar to Old World animals ended up in the Americas?
5. What does Darwin write about how the gauchos break horses?
6. What does Darwin discover in the area of Bahia Blanca after the Beagle arrives and how does he theorize about his find?
7. Briefly tell about the waterfowl Darwin catalogs on East Falkland Island.
8. Relate the circumstances of returning natives of Tierra del Fuego island.
9. How is Darwin stunned by the docility of a large male slave?
10. In the area of St. Fe, Darwin examines the geology. What discovery does he make there?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)