|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Darwin encounter in the village of Las Minas?
(a) the gauchos
(b) some bandits
(c) the military
(d) the Incas
2. Who are the people living on Tierra del Fuego?
(b) primitive and impoverished natives
(c) abandoned African slaves
(d) Spanish settlers
3. What is Capt. Fitz Roy's plan after anchoring at the mouth of the Santa Cruz River?
(a) to spend a few weeks fishing
(b) to take boats up the river as far as he can
(c) to anchor there for the winter
(d) to trade with natives who come in canoes
4. Who takes Darwin and his gaucho companion to a mountain called the Sierra de la Ventana?
(a) a Portuguese priest
(b) a military guide
(c) a friendly native
(d) a local rancher
5. What causes the different colored water Darwin sees after leaving Bahia?
(a) small interlocking organisms
(b) variance in temperature
(c) undersea volcano eruptions
(d) color from iron oxide deposits
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the evening meal consist of at Don Juan Fuentes' house?
2. What does Darwin observe that is formed by lightning hitting the hills and traversing through the sand?
3. What marine creature does Darwin discover off of St. Domingo that he keeps in his cabin?
4. What does Darwin do during his three-day stay in Socego?
5. What is the guanaco Darwin sees on the way to the Sauce military outpost?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the rodents Darwin encounters outside Maldonado.
2. Tell what Darwin sees back off the coast of Chile and how he assesses the sight.
3. How does Darwin react to the selling of children as slaves as opposed to what the soldiers and the settlers think about it.
4. How does Darwin describe the countryside coming down off the Blue Mountain plateau?
5. Relate the circumstances of returning natives of Tierra del Fuego island.
6. Who does Darwin encounter at Las Minas and how does he size them up?
7. What route does Darwin take back to Chile and what he discovers on the way.
8. How does Darwin describe the behavior of the guanaco he finds at the ruins of an old Spanish settlement?
9. How does Darwin surmise that animals similar to Old World animals ended up in the Americas?
10. Explain Darwin's impression of the geology of New Zealand.
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)