|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal does Darwin find in small herds after arriving at Port Desire?
(a) the deer, usually found in jungles
(b) the bizcacha, in communal burrows
(c) the guanaco, rarely seen to the north, is abundant
(d) the llama, rarely seen outside of Peru
2. What is Capt. Fitz Roy's plan after anchoring at the mouth of the Santa Cruz River?
(a) to spend a few weeks fishing
(b) to take boats up the river as far as he can
(c) to trade with natives who come in canoes
(d) to anchor there for the winter
3. What does Darwin speculate died out on the continent long before the Spanish arrived?
4. Where does Darwin see a rocky, steep hill jutting about 1,000 feet into the sky?
(a) Cape de Verd islands
(b) Fernando Noronha Island
(c) St. domingo
(d) St. Paul's Rocks
5. Who invites Darwin to visit an estate near Rio de Janeiro?
(a) a Brazilian general
(b) a French explorer
(c) an English landowner
(d) a wealthy Brazilian
Short Answer Questions
1. At Botofogo Bay, what does Darwin find that interests him?
2. Where does Darwin get his first walk through a rain forest?
3. What does Darwin find in the area of Bahia Blanca?
4. What do the inhabitants of a ranch north of the Polanco River find interesting when Darwin arrives?
5. What is the guanaco Darwin sees on the way to the Sauce military outpost?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Darwin discover in the area of Bahia Blanca after the Beagle arrives and how does he theorize about his find?
2. Relate the circumstances of returning natives of Tierra del Fuego island.
3. Briefly tell about the waterfowl Darwin catalogs on East Falkland Island.
4. What does Darwin write about how the gauchos break horses?
5. What does Darwin have to say about the Brazilian rain forest?
6. Describe the problem with getting three boats up the Santa Cruz River.
7. How does Darwin regard the Brazilian horses?
8. How is Darwin stunned by the docility of a large male slave?
9. How does Darwin surmise that animals similar to Old World animals ended up in the Americas?
10. Describe the problem Darwin faces when he returns to Buenos Aires.
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)