|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Darwin describe Gen. Rosas?
(a) as a fat, jolly man who loves to talk
(b) as a tall thin man who does not wear his uniform well
(c) as a disturbed man who wants to be in Buenos Aires
(d) as a masterful horseman who dresses like the gauchos
2. Who takes Darwin and his gaucho companion to a mountain called the Sierra de la Ventana?
(a) a local rancher
(b) a Portuguese priest
(c) a friendly native
(d) a military guide
3. What does Darwin have to do for two days at the military encampment?
(a) classify the various fish caught in the Colorado
(b) catch up on entries in his journal
(c) listen to stories about native religion
(d) little else but observe the natives
4. Why can two dead monkeys not be shaken out of a tree?
(a) the grip of their prehensile tails
(b) they are held by other monkeys
(c) the grip of their large hands
(d) they are wedged in the branches
5. What does the man think Darwin is going to do?
(a) push him into the water
(b) make him work
(c) strike him
(d) give him money
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the people show hospitality and allow Darwin to stay at various outposts and ranches?
2. Where does Darwin see a rocky, steep hill jutting about 1,000 feet into the sky?
3. What does Darwin learn about the ostrich?
4. Where does the Beagle anchor at Tierra del Fuego island?
5. What does Darwin write that he found along the banks of the Santa Cruz River?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Darwin not stay long at Bahia Blanca?
2. What does Darwin write about a huge bird he kills up the Santa Cruz River?
3. Why is Darwin fascinated to find the flatworm in the mud around the salt lake?
4. On his trip to Buenos Aires, What does Darwin have to observe?
5. Briefly tell about the waterfowl Darwin catalogs on East Falkland Island.
6. Describe the beginning of Darwin's trip around the world.
7. At the Rio Negro, about 300 miles to the south of Maldonado, what is the evidence of political turmoil in South America?
8. At the first stop after Sao Jago, what are Darwin's observations?
9. What does Darwin write about how the gauchos break horses?
10. What is Darwin given to eat at Tapalguen River?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)