|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Darwin discover about fifteen miles from Patagones?
(a) a salt lake
(b) a sand dune mountain
(c) a tar pit
(d) a volcanic crater
2. What has Darwin observed on the ship that lets out silk into the wind and takes flight over the ocean?
(d) sea gulls
3. After leaving the Santa Cruz River, where does the Beagle make its next stop?
(b) East Falkland Island
(c) the Galapogas Islands
(d) Baja California
4. How does Darwin describe Gen. Rosas?
(a) as a tall thin man who does not wear his uniform well
(b) as a masterful horseman who dresses like the gauchos
(c) as a fat, jolly man who loves to talk
(d) as a disturbed man who wants to be in Buenos Aires
5. What is the composition of Sierra de la Ventana?
(a) mostly granite
(b) mostly ignecious rock
(c) largely white quartz
(d) largely limestone
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal life does Darwin observe on the trail?
2. Why is a puppy that will become a sheep dog put in with a herd to grow up?
3. What does Darwin see along the way where robbers hide and cattle can be lost?
4. What affirmation does Darwin make about the earth?
5. What are the only two insects Darwin locates on St. Paul's Rocks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Darwin's impression of the geology of New Zealand.
2. Describe Darwin's disappointment at the saltpeter mine.
3. At the first stop after Sao Jago, what are Darwin's observations?
4. What is Darwin given to eat at Tapalguen River?
5. What evidence does Darwin find that sea beds are raised by nature to great heights?
6. How does Darwin react to Sydney, Australia?
7. At the Rio Negro, about 300 miles to the south of Maldonado, what is the evidence of political turmoil in South America?
8. Describe Darwin's impressions at the bay of Valparaiso.
9. Describe the problem with getting three boats up the Santa Cruz River.
10. How does Darwin react to Mauritius, known at that time as the Isle of France?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)