|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the evening meal consist of at Don Juan Fuentes' house?
(a) nothing but meat and water
(b) barbecued goat and wine
(c) only a variety of vegetables
(d) fried eggs and flying fish
2. What small bird resembles quail in its habits and snipe in its looks?
(a) the South American mockingbird
(b) the avioticus imbicilus
(c) the tinochorus rumicivorous
(d) the flightless pheasant
3. Where does Darwin spend ten weeks at the mouth of the Plata River?
(a) a camp set up especially for him
(b) in a Brazilian fort
(c) at a British outpost
(d) a small town named Maldonado
4. What does Darwin find that thrives in the area around the salt lakes?
(a) a species of birds
(b) a species of worms
(c) a species of snakes
(d) a species of mammals
5. Why is a tree Darwin comes across famous among the natives?
(a) It is revered as an altar to a god called Walleechu.
(b) It bears a medicinal fruit.
(c) It can be seen for miles in any direction.
(d) It is the largest tree in South America.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Darwin and his companions find at the Colorado River?
2. Upon Darwin's return to Buenos Aires, what is going on?
3. What do the Brazilian villages remind Darwin of?
4. What has Darwin observed on the ship that lets out silk into the wind and takes flight over the ocean?
5. What are the only two insects Darwin locates on St. Paul's Rocks?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the people of Uruguay receive Darwin and what does he notice there?
2. How is Darwin stunned by the docility of a large male slave?
3. How does Darwin regard the Brazilian horses?
4. What is Darwin given to eat at Tapalguen River?
5. Who does Darwin encounter at Las Minas and how does he size them up?
6. Describe two species of birds Darwin locates after he finds the fossils.
7. What strange phenomenon occurs on the way to Port Desire and how does Darwin rationalize it?
8. What problem ensues after the Portuguese priest makes a kill in the forest?
9. What does Darwin write about a huge bird he kills up the Santa Cruz River?
10. How does Darwin surmise that animals similar to Old World animals ended up in the Americas?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)