|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Darwin do during his three-day stay in Socego?
(a) climbs trees
(b) go hungry
(c) catch up on his sleep
(d) collects insects within the forest
2. What is one of the industries of the native population near the military post?
(a) making the round stones for the bolas
(b) weaving ponchos for gauchos
(c) making lazo, or lassos, for the gauchos
(d) trading horses they caught and trained
3. What does Darwin compare to the taste of veal?
(a) puma meat
(b) armadillo meat
(c) llama meat
(d) lizard meat
4. What does Darwin discover about fifteen miles from Patagones?
(a) a tar pit
(b) a sand dune mountain
(c) a volcanic crater
(d) a salt lake
5. What is the composition of most of the rock formations on the Brazilian coast?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darwin collect traveling around Argentina?
2. What do Darwin's discoveries cause him to think about?
3. What do Darwin and his gaucho companion hear at the Sauce outpost?
4. After the return to Rio de Janeiro, where does Darwin stay that is rich in resources for the naturalist?
5. What does Darwin observe that is formed by lightning hitting the hills and traversing through the sand?
Short Essay Questions
1. Relate the circumstances of returning natives of Tierra del Fuego island.
2. What does Darwin discover in the area of Bahia Blanca after the Beagle arrives and how does he theorize about his find?
3. On his trip to Buenos Aires, What does Darwin have to observe?
4. Describe the rodents Darwin encounters outside Maldonado.
5. How does Darwin react to the selling of children as slaves as opposed to what the soldiers and the settlers think about it.
6. What does Darwin write about how the gauchos break horses?
7. At the first stop after Sao Jago, what are Darwin's observations?
8. What is Darwin given to eat at Tapalguen River?
9. Briefly tell about the waterfowl Darwin catalogs on East Falkland Island.
10. How is Darwin stunned by the docility of a large male slave?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)