|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Darwin have to do for two days at the military encampment?
(a) listen to stories about native religion
(b) catch up on entries in his journal
(c) little else but observe the natives
(d) classify the various fish caught in the Colorado
2. On the way after Monte Video, what surrounds the Beagle?
(a) schools of dolphins
(b) hostile natives in canoes
(c) a swarm of butterflies and other flying insects
(d) man eating sharks
3. Where do the people show hospitality and allow Darwin to stay at various outposts and ranches?
4. After leaving the Santa Cruz River, where does the Beagle make its next stop?
(a) the Galapogas Islands
(c) East Falkland Island
(d) Baja California
5. How does Darwin speculate the craggy boulders around the mountains were moved?
(a) by volcanic eruptions
(b) by meteors
(c) by floating icebergs
(d) by seismic activity
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Darwin and his gaucho companion to a mountain called the Sierra de la Ventana?
2. What large bird does Darwin shoot up the Santa Cruz River?
3. What does Darwin speculate about the continents?
4. What is Darwin told about climatic events in the area?
5. What are the only two insects Darwin locates on St. Paul's Rocks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Heading toward St. Fe, about 300 miles north of Buenos Aries along the Parana River, describe the strange animal Darwin observes.
2. Why is Darwin fascinated to find the flatworm in the mud around the salt lake?
3. How does Darwin regard the Brazilian horses?
4. Who does Darwin encounter at Las Minas and how does he size them up?
5. In three days at Socego, where does Darwin find insects to collect?
6. What strange phenomenon occurs on the way to Port Desire and how does Darwin rationalize it?
7. What does Darwin find to write about just outside of Maldonado?
8. At the first stop after Sao Jago, what are Darwin's observations?
9. What does Darwin surmise about the geology of St. Jago?
10. What is Darwin given to eat at Tapalguen River?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)