|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Darwin and his gaucho companion hear at the Sauce outpost?
(a) stories about strange animals in that area
(b) stories about the battles between the army and natives
(c) stories about a volcanic eruption in another area
(d) stories about a Spanish warship
2. Why is a tree Darwin comes across famous among the natives?
(a) It is the largest tree in South America.
(b) It bears a medicinal fruit.
(c) It is revered as an altar to a god called Walleechu.
(d) It can be seen for miles in any direction.
3. What happened at Sierra Tapalguen the night before Darwin and company arrive at the nearby outpost?
(a) an electrical storm that set the forest ablaze
(b) a hailstorm with hail as large as apples
(c) a tornado a mile wide
(d) an eclipse of the moon
4. What does Darwin have to do for two days at the military encampment?
(a) listen to stories about native religion
(b) little else but observe the natives
(c) classify the various fish caught in the Colorado
(d) catch up on entries in his journal
5. What do the gauchos bring down using their bolas?
(a) game, cattle, horses, or humans
(b) birds, monkeys, or crocodiles
(c) trees, cacti, or boulders
(d) elephants, lions, and kangaroos
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darwin learn about the ostrich?
2. What are the only two insects Darwin locates on St. Paul's Rocks?
3. In addition to the volcanic formation of St. Domingo, what does Darwin notice about the island?
4. What is a particular riding skill of a gaucho?
5. What does Darwin find in the area of Bahia Blanca?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Darwin given to eat at Tapalguen River?
2. Who does Darwin encounter at Las Minas and how does he size them up?
3. Why is Darwin fascinated to find the flatworm in the mud around the salt lake?
4. Describe the beginning of Darwin's trip around the world.
5. What does Darwin write about a huge bird he kills up the Santa Cruz River?
6. How does Darwin react to the selling of children as slaves as opposed to what the soldiers and the settlers think about it.
7. What occurs in the Plata estuary?
8. Describe two species of birds Darwin locates after he finds the fossils.
9. In three days at Socego, where does Darwin find insects to collect?
10. In the area of St. Fe, Darwin examines the geology. What discovery does he make there?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)