|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Darwin write that he found along the banks of the Santa Cruz River?
(a) large apes
(b) prehistoric fossils
(c) kangaroo tracks
(d) nothing new or of great interest
2. What is Darwin's assessment of the natives on Tierra del Fuego?
(a) They are an advanced civilization.
(b) They are stupid because of inbreeding.
(c) They are too primitive to civilize.
(d) They are intelligent enough to someday become civilized.
3. On the way after Monte Video, what surrounds the Beagle?
(a) hostile natives in canoes
(b) man eating sharks
(c) a swarm of butterflies and other flying insects
(d) schools of dolphins
4. What is the Casarita meaning little house builder?
(a) a kind of rabbit that nests in trees
(b) a bird that digs long holes into its underground nest
(c) a species of armadillo
(d) a snake that builds mounds of rock
5. Where do the people show hospitality and allow Darwin to stay at various outposts and ranches?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened at Sierra Tapalguen the night before Darwin and company arrive at the nearby outpost?
2. What is the composition of the Cape de Verd Islands?
3. What does the man think Darwin is going to do?
4. What are the only two insects Darwin locates on St. Paul's Rocks?
5. What are the two different styles Darwin uses in his journal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly tell about the waterfowl Darwin catalogs on East Falkland Island.
2. How do the people of Uruguay receive Darwin and what does he notice there?
3. What does Darwin write about a huge bird he kills up the Santa Cruz River?
4. In the area of St. Fe, Darwin examines the geology. What discovery does he make there?
5. Describe two species of birds Darwin locates after he finds the fossils.
6. How does Darwin regard the Brazilian horses?
7. What does Darwin find to write about just outside of Maldonado?
8. Why does Darwin not stay long at Bahia Blanca?
9. Describe the rodents Darwin encounters outside Maldonado.
10. Why is Darwin fascinated to find the flatworm in the mud around the salt lake?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)