|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a particular riding skill of a gaucho?
(a) going around a post at full gallop touching a finger to the post
(b) standing up in the saddle at full gallop
(c) riding on the underside of the horse to avoid detection
(d) riding for days without getting out of the saddle
2. What does Darwin find in the area of Bahia Blanca?
(a) the dry bed of an inland sea
(b) large reptiles that attack cattle
(c) evidence of a major earthquake
(d) the fossilized skeletons of huge animals
3. How does Darwin speculate the craggy boulders around the mountains were moved?
(a) by seismic activity
(b) by floating icebergs
(c) by volcanic eruptions
(d) by meteors
4. What does Darwin compare to the taste of veal?
(a) armadillo meat
(b) puma meat
(c) llama meat
(d) lizard meat
5. What is the composition of most of the rock formations on the Brazilian coast?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened at Sierra Tapalguen the night before Darwin and company arrive at the nearby outpost?
2. Where does Darwin see camphor, pepper, cinnamon and clove trees, along with breadfruit, jaca and mango?
3. Why is a tree Darwin comes across famous among the natives?
4. What does Darwin see at Punta Alta?
5. What is Darwin's assessment of the natives on Tierra del Fuego?
Short Essay Questions
1. Relate the circumstances of returning natives of Tierra del Fuego island.
2. What occurs in the Plata estuary?
3. What is Darwin given to eat at Tapalguen River?
4. What does Darwin find to write about just outside of Maldonado?
5. Why does Darwin not stay long at Bahia Blanca?
6. Describe the rodents Darwin encounters outside Maldonado.
7. How do the people of Uruguay receive Darwin and what does he notice there?
8. How does Darwin surmise that animals similar to Old World animals ended up in the Americas?
9. Who does Darwin encounter at Las Minas and how does he size them up?
10. On his trip to Buenos Aires, What does Darwin have to observe?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)