|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the composition of Sierra de la Ventana?
(a) largely limestone
(b) mostly ignecious rock
(c) mostly granite
(d) largely white quartz
2. What small bird resembles quail in its habits and snipe in its looks?
(a) the South American mockingbird
(b) the tinochorus rumicivorous
(c) the flightless pheasant
(d) the avioticus imbicilus
3. What is a particular riding skill of a gaucho?
(a) riding for days without getting out of the saddle
(b) standing up in the saddle at full gallop
(c) riding on the underside of the horse to avoid detection
(d) going around a post at full gallop touching a finger to the post
4. What does Darwin do during his three-day stay in Socego?
(a) go hungry
(b) catch up on his sleep
(c) collects insects within the forest
(d) climbs trees
5. What does Darwin discover that some small owls eat by examining the contents of their stomachs?
(a) grain and insects
(b) eggs and other birds
(c) fruit and vegetables
(d) mice and snakes
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Darwin speculate the craggy boulders around the mountains were moved?
2. How does Darwin end up bringing his own horse down?
3. What does Darwin discover had happened at El Carmen or Patagones?
4. Why can two dead monkeys not be shaken out of a tree?
5. What large bird does Darwin shoot up the Santa Cruz River?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strange phenomenon occurs on the way to Port Desire and how does Darwin rationalize it?
2. How is Darwin stunned by the docility of a large male slave?
3. What does Darwin surmise about the geology of St. Jago?
4. Relate the circumstances of returning natives of Tierra del Fuego island.
5. What does Darwin find to write about just outside of Maldonado?
6. How do the people of Uruguay receive Darwin and what does he notice there?
7. Describe the problem Darwin faces when he returns to Buenos Aires.
8. How does Darwin describe the behavior of the guanaco he finds at the ruins of an old Spanish settlement?
9. Heading toward St. Fe, about 300 miles north of Buenos Aries along the Parana River, describe the strange animal Darwin observes.
10. How does Darwin react to the selling of children as slaves as opposed to what the soldiers and the settlers think about it.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)