Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After leaving the Santa Cruz River, where does the Beagle make its next stop?
(a) Baja California
(b) East Falkland Island
(c) the Galapogas Islands
2. What are the dates of Charles Darwin's life span?
(a) May 14, 1850 to June 19, 1922
(b) Aug. 12, 1829 to Feb. 20, 1903
(c) Feb. 12, 1809 to April 19, 1882
(d) Jan. 6, 1818 to Dec. 3, 1900
3. What does Darwin see along the way where robbers hide and cattle can be lost?
(a) many rocky caves
(b) dark hollows
(c) vast expanses of thistles
(d) thick copses
4. What does Darwin find while exploring Cape de Verd?
(a) an amazing variety of strange plants
(b) remains of a forgotten 14th century civilization
(c) a cemetery with headstones dating back to the 16th century
(d) fossils of extremely large land animals
5. Upon Darwin's return to Buenos Aires, what is going on?
(a) a revolution
(b) an international meeting
(c) a serious drought
(d) a celebration
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Gen. Rosa's soldiers do after killing the adult natives?
2. What does Darwin learn about the ostrich?
3. What do the inhabitants of a ranch north of the Polanco River find interesting when Darwin arrives?
4. What is the composition of the Cape de Verd Islands?
5. Who takes Darwin and his gaucho companion to a mountain called the Sierra de la Ventana?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Darwin react to the selling of children as slaves as opposed to what the soldiers and the settlers think about it.
2. At the first stop after Sao Jago, what are Darwin's observations?
3. Describe Darwin's exploration of the interior of the Tahitian Island.
4. Explain what Darwin sees at Concepcion and why the houses are still standing.
5. At the Rio Negro, about 300 miles to the south of Maldonado, what is the evidence of political turmoil in South America?
6. What are conditions like at the copper mines of Jajuel?
7. Describe Darwin's impressions at the bay of Valparaiso.
8. What does Darwin discover in the area of Bahia Blanca after the Beagle arrives and how does he theorize about his find?
9. Describe two species of birds Darwin locates after he finds the fossils.
10. Heading toward St. Fe, about 300 miles north of Buenos Aries along the Parana River, describe the strange animal Darwin observes.
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)