|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Darwin write that he found along the banks of the Santa Cruz River?
(a) prehistoric fossils
(b) kangaroo tracks
(c) large apes
(d) nothing new or of great interest
2. After the return to Rio de Janeiro, where does Darwin stay that is rich in resources for the naturalist?
(a) in a cottage on Botofogo Bay
(b) with the governor of Rio de Janeiro
(c) in the center of the city
(d) in a luxury hotel on Botofogo Bay
3. What is a particular riding skill of a gaucho?
(a) standing up in the saddle at full gallop
(b) riding on the underside of the horse to avoid detection
(c) riding for days without getting out of the saddle
(d) going around a post at full gallop touching a finger to the post
4. What is the sociological condition in Brazil that disturbs Darwin?
5. What are the only two insects Darwin locates on St. Paul's Rocks?
(a) grasshoppers and flies
(b) spiders and parasites brought in on the birds
(c) ticks and fleas
(d) moths and ants
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Darwin stay at Socego?
2. What is the composition of most of the rock formations on the Brazilian coast?
3. What animal is a scavenger for hard objects it piles at the entrance to its burrows?
4. What affirmation does Darwin make about the earth?
5. What does Darwin observe that is formed by lightning hitting the hills and traversing through the sand?
Short Essay Questions
1. In three days at Socego, where does Darwin find insects to collect?
2. What does Darwin surmise about the geology of St. Jago?
3. What problem ensues after the Portuguese priest makes a kill in the forest?
4. How does Darwin regard the Brazilian horses?
5. Relate the circumstances of returning natives of Tierra del Fuego island.
6. On his trip to Buenos Aires, What does Darwin have to observe?
7. Why does Darwin not stay long at Bahia Blanca?
8. Describe the rodents Darwin encounters outside Maldonado.
9. How does Darwin react to the selling of children as slaves as opposed to what the soldiers and the settlers think about it.
10. What occurs in the Plata estuary?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)