|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Darwin speculate the craggy boulders around the mountains were moved?
(a) by meteors
(b) by floating icebergs
(c) by volcanic eruptions
(d) by seismic activity
2. What does Darwin see at Punta Alta?
(a) a man called horse
(b) a skunk called a zorillo
(c) a cat called gatito
(d) a squirrel called rocky
3. What is the sociological condition in Brazil that disturbs Darwin?
4. What is Darwin's assessment of the natives on Tierra del Fuego?
(a) They are stupid because of inbreeding.
(b) They are an advanced civilization.
(c) They are intelligent enough to someday become civilized.
(d) They are too primitive to civilize.
5. What has Darwin observed on the ship that lets out silk into the wind and takes flight over the ocean?
(d) sea gulls
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do seals and penguins surround the ship and make noises that resemble cattle?
2. Leaving Monte Video, where is the Beagle headed?
3. Where does the Beagle anchor at Tierra del Fuego island?
4. What is one of the industries of the native population near the military post?
5. What do the inhabitants of a ranch north of the Polanco River find interesting when Darwin arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What occurs in the Plata estuary?
2. Describe the beginning of Darwin's trip around the world.
3. Why does Darwin not stay long at Bahia Blanca?
4. In three days at Socego, where does Darwin find insects to collect?
5. How do the people of Uruguay receive Darwin and what does he notice there?
6. What does Darwin find to write about just outside of Maldonado?
7. Describe the rodents Darwin encounters outside Maldonado.
8. In the area of St. Fe, Darwin examines the geology. What discovery does he make there?
9. What strange phenomenon occurs on the way to Port Desire and how does Darwin rationalize it?
10. Describe the problem with getting three boats up the Santa Cruz River.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)