|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is a puppy that will become a sheep dog put in with a herd to grow up?
(a) It grows up antagonistic to sheep.
(b) It grows up understanding what sheep say.
(c) It grows up believing it is a sheep.
(d) It grows up loving sheep.
2. What causes the different colored water Darwin sees after leaving Bahia?
(a) variance in temperature
(b) small interlocking organisms
(c) undersea volcano eruptions
(d) color from iron oxide deposits
3. What does Darwin collect traveling around Argentina?
(a) many species of quadrupeds, birds, lizards and snakes
(b) leaves, parasites, and ledgends
(c) common rocks and precious stones
(d) fresh fruit to take back to the Beagle
4. What are two important items used by the gauchos?
(a) knives and pistols
(b) the lazo (lasso) and the bola
(c) blow guns and spears
(d) rifles and bows
5. At Botofogo Bay, what does Darwin find that interests him?
(a) strange flesh eating fish
(b) many species of birds
(c) new kinds of bees
(d) many species of planaria (flatworms)
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Darwin describe Gen. Rosas?
2. What does Darwin discover had happened at El Carmen or Patagones?
3. What does Darwin compare to the taste of veal?
4. What animals had been introduced on East Falkland Island?
5. What large bird does Darwin shoot up the Santa Cruz River?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the rodents Darwin encounters outside Maldonado.
2. Relate what Darwin finds at Chatham Island in the Galapagos archipelago.
3. Tell something about the island of Chiloe.
4. How does Darwin react to Sydney, Australia?
5. Explain Darwin's impression of the geology of New Zealand.
6. Tell what Darwin sees back off the coast of Chile and how he assesses the sight.
7. Tell what Darwin thinks and observes about the rivers in the Andes Mountains.
8. What evidence does Darwin find that sea beds are raised by nature to great heights?
9. Briefly tell about the waterfowl Darwin catalogs on East Falkland Island.
10. What is Darwin's journal entry as they leave New Zealand?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)