|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Leaving Monte Video, where is the Beagle headed?
(a) for North America
(b) for Baja California
(c) for Port Desire on the coast of Patagonia
(d) for Alaska
2. After leaving the Santa Cruz River, where does the Beagle make its next stop?
(a) the Galapogas Islands
(c) Baja California
(d) East Falkland Island
3. Where does Darwin stay at Socego?
(a) the estate of Manuel Figuireda
(b) with native Indians
(c) the Mandetiba inn
(d) in makeshift tents
4. Who takes Darwin and his gaucho companion to a mountain called the Sierra de la Ventana?
(a) a friendly native
(b) a local rancher
(c) a military guide
(d) a Portuguese priest
5. What does Darwin observe that is formed by lightning hitting the hills and traversing through the sand?
(a) veins of gold
(b) silicone balls
(c) black glass
(d) glass tubes
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Darwin encounter in the village of Las Minas?
2. What animal does Darwin find in small herds after arriving at Port Desire?
3. On the way after Monte Video, what surrounds the Beagle?
4. Where does Darwin see a rocky, steep hill jutting about 1,000 feet into the sky?
5. What animal is a scavenger for hard objects it piles at the entrance to its burrows?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the rodents Darwin encounters outside Maldonado.
2. What does Darwin find to write about just outside of Maldonado?
3. What are the things Darwin notices at Keeling Island?
4. Heading toward St. Fe, about 300 miles north of Buenos Aries along the Parana River, describe the strange animal Darwin observes.
5. What evidence does Darwin find that sea beds are raised by nature to great heights?
6. In the area of St. Fe, Darwin examines the geology. What discovery does he make there?
7. Tell about the runaway sailors at the Chonos Archipelago.
8. On his trip to Buenos Aires, What does Darwin have to observe?
9. At the first stop after Sao Jago, what are Darwin's observations?
10. What does Darwin have to say about the Brazilian rain forest?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)