|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the guanaco Darwin sees on the way to the Sauce military outpost?
(a) a large bird like a condor
(b) an extremely large lizard
(c) the wild version of the domesticated llama
(d) a black toad with a red underbelly
2. What amusing thing does Darwin witness outside of Monte Video?
(a) a rabbit hitching a rind on a crocodile
(b) a chicken trying to scare a fox
(c) a small owl trying to catch an anaconda
(d) a gaucho crossing a deep river with a reluctant horse
3. What are the only two insects Darwin locates on St. Paul's Rocks?
(a) ticks and fleas
(b) grasshoppers and flies
(c) spiders and parasites brought in on the birds
(d) moths and ants
4. What does Darwin find while exploring Cape de Verd?
(a) fossils of extremely large land animals
(b) an amazing variety of strange plants
(c) a cemetery with headstones dating back to the 16th century
(d) remains of a forgotten 14th century civilization
5. Where does Darwin see camphor, pepper, cinnamon and clove trees, along with breadfruit, jaca and mango?
(a) deep in the Brazilian jungle
(b) in a Brazilian marketplace
(c) the Botanical Garden
(d) the edge of the sea
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the gauchos prepare for a meal on the island?
2. Where do the people show hospitality and allow Darwin to stay at various outposts and ranches?
3. What do Darwin and his gaucho companion hear at the Sauce outpost?
4. What do the Brazilian villages remind Darwin of?
5. How do Darwin and the soldiers make their way toward Buenos Aires?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Darwin write about how the gauchos break horses?
2. How does Darwin surmise that animals similar to Old World animals ended up in the Americas?
3. Describe two species of birds Darwin locates after he finds the fossils.
4. How does Darwin describe the behavior of the guanaco he finds at the ruins of an old Spanish settlement?
5. In three days at Socego, where does Darwin find insects to collect?
6. How do the people of Uruguay receive Darwin and what does he notice there?
7. How is Darwin stunned by the docility of a large male slave?
8. Heading toward St. Fe, about 300 miles north of Buenos Aries along the Parana River, describe the strange animal Darwin observes.
9. In the area of St. Fe, Darwin examines the geology. What discovery does he make there?
10. What problem ensues after the Portuguese priest makes a kill in the forest?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)