|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What large bird does Darwin shoot up the Santa Cruz River?
(a) an eagle
(b) an ostrich
(c) a condor
(d) a pelican
2. What does Darwin find in the Santa Fe area?
(a) tar pits and mammoth tracks
(b) fossilized crustations from an inland sea
(c) the shell of a gigantic armadillo and a fossilized horse tooth.
(d) evidence of dinosaurs
3. What does Darwin see along the way where robbers hide and cattle can be lost?
(a) many rocky caves
(b) thick copses
(c) dark hollows
(d) vast expanses of thistles
4. What is the sociological condition in Brazil that disturbs Darwin?
5. Why can two dead monkeys not be shaken out of a tree?
(a) the grip of their prehensile tails
(b) the grip of their large hands
(c) they are held by other monkeys
(d) they are wedged in the branches
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darwin see at Punta Alta?
2. What is the composition of Sierra de la Ventana?
3. Where does Darwin spend ten weeks at the mouth of the Plata River?
4. How does the Santa Cruz River bed change as Darwin moves upstream?
5. Who are York Minster, Jemmy Button and Fuegia Basket?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe two species of birds Darwin locates after he finds the fossils.
2. What does Darwin surmise about the geology of St. Jago?
3. How does Darwin describe the behavior of the guanaco he finds at the ruins of an old Spanish settlement?
4. How do the people of Uruguay receive Darwin and what does he notice there?
5. Heading toward St. Fe, about 300 miles north of Buenos Aries along the Parana River, describe the strange animal Darwin observes.
6. At the Rio Negro, about 300 miles to the south of Maldonado, what is the evidence of political turmoil in South America?
7. What does Darwin write about a huge bird he kills up the Santa Cruz River?
8. What does Darwin discover in the area of Bahia Blanca after the Beagle arrives and how does he theorize about his find?
9. How does Darwin surmise that animals similar to Old World animals ended up in the Americas?
10. What strange phenomenon occurs on the way to Port Desire and how does Darwin rationalize it?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)