|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the industries of the native population near the military post?
(a) trading horses they caught and trained
(b) making lazo, or lassos, for the gauchos
(c) weaving ponchos for gauchos
(d) making the round stones for the bolas
2. At Botofogo Bay, what does Darwin find that interests him?
(a) many species of birds
(b) new kinds of bees
(c) many species of planaria (flatworms)
(d) strange flesh eating fish
3. Sailing away from Rio de Janeiro, what does Darwin see?
(a) shark infested waters
(b) giant squid
(c) hundreds of porpoises
(d) a pod of whales
4. Who invites Darwin to visit an estate near Rio de Janeiro?
(a) a Brazilian general
(b) a wealthy Brazilian
(c) a French explorer
(d) an English landowner
5. How does Darwin attempt to communicate with a large black man on a ferry?
(a) draws pictures
(c) points to what he wants
(d) talks loud and makes hand gestures
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Darwin's assessment of the natives on Tierra del Fuego?
2. What is a sporting way gauchos sometimes dismount?
3. Who are the people living on Tierra del Fuego?
4. What does Darwin find in the Santa Fe area?
5. What amusing thing does Darwin witness outside of Monte Video?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Darwin stunned by the docility of a large male slave?
2. On his trip to Buenos Aires, What does Darwin have to observe?
3. At the first stop after Sao Jago, what are Darwin's observations?
4. What does Darwin have to say about the Brazilian rain forest?
5. Describe the problem with getting three boats up the Santa Cruz River.
6. How does Darwin describe the behavior of the guanaco he finds at the ruins of an old Spanish settlement?
7. What strange phenomenon occurs on the way to Port Desire and how does Darwin rationalize it?
8. At the Rio Negro, about 300 miles to the south of Maldonado, what is the evidence of political turmoil in South America?
9. How do the people of Uruguay receive Darwin and what does he notice there?
10. Describe the beginning of Darwin's trip around the world.
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)