|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Casarita meaning little house builder?
(a) a snake that builds mounds of rock
(b) a species of armadillo
(c) a bird that digs long holes into its underground nest
(d) a kind of rabbit that nests in trees
2. What is the sociological condition in Brazil that disturbs Darwin?
3. What do Darwin and his gaucho companion hear at the Sauce outpost?
(a) stories about the battles between the army and natives
(b) stories about strange animals in that area
(c) stories about a Spanish warship
(d) stories about a volcanic eruption in another area
4. What are the dates of Charles Darwin's life span?
(a) Jan. 6, 1818 to Dec. 3, 1900
(b) May 14, 1850 to June 19, 1922
(c) Aug. 12, 1829 to Feb. 20, 1903
(d) Feb. 12, 1809 to April 19, 1882
5. Why is a tree Darwin comes across famous among the natives?
(a) It is the largest tree in South America.
(b) It is revered as an altar to a god called Walleechu.
(c) It can be seen for miles in any direction.
(d) It bears a medicinal fruit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darwin find while exploring Cape de Verd?
2. What do the Brazilian villages remind Darwin of?
3. What does Darwin see along the way where robbers hide and cattle can be lost?
4. What does Darwin learn about the ostrich?
5. What are two important items used by the gauchos?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly tell about the waterfowl Darwin catalogs on East Falkland Island.
2. How does Darwin surmise that animals similar to Old World animals ended up in the Americas?
3. Why is Darwin fascinated to find the flatworm in the mud around the salt lake?
4. What does Darwin surmise about the geology of St. Jago?
5. On his trip to Buenos Aires, What does Darwin have to observe?
6. Describe the rodents Darwin encounters outside Maldonado.
7. Why does Darwin not stay long at Bahia Blanca?
8. Describe the problem Darwin faces when he returns to Buenos Aires.
9. What does Darwin write about a huge bird he kills up the Santa Cruz River?
10. Describe the problem with getting three boats up the Santa Cruz River.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)