|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Darwin attempt to communicate with a large black man on a ferry?
(a) talks loud and makes hand gestures
(c) points to what he wants
(d) draws pictures
2. After leaving Las Minas, what does Darwin see near marble outcroppings?
(a) large flocks of ostriches roaming the land
(b) pygmie hippopotamuses
(c) kangaroos and wallabies
(d) giant land turtles
3. What does Darwin discover that some small owls eat by examining the contents of their stomachs?
(a) eggs and other birds
(b) grain and insects
(c) mice and snakes
(d) fruit and vegetables
4. What do Gen. Rosa's soldiers do after killing the adult natives?
(a) Scalp the natives.
(b) Barbecue the natives.
(c) They keep the children to sell as slaves.
(d) Feed the natives to the crocodiles.
5. What is the guanaco Darwin sees on the way to the Sauce military outpost?
(a) a large bird like a condor
(b) the wild version of the domesticated llama
(c) an extremely large lizard
(d) a black toad with a red underbelly
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darwin see at Punta Alta?
2. What does Darwin find that thrives in the area around the salt lakes?
3. Who does Darwin encounter in the village of Las Minas?
4. What affirmation does Darwin make about the earth?
5. On the way after Monte Video, what surrounds the Beagle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence does Darwin find that sea beds are raised by nature to great heights?
2. What does Darwin write about how the gauchos break horses?
3. Briefly tell about the waterfowl Darwin catalogs on East Falkland Island.
4. What are conditions like at the copper mines of Jajuel?
5. What occurs in the Plata estuary?
6. Describe the beginning of Darwin's trip around the world.
7. What does Darwin find to write about just outside of Maldonado?
8. Explain Darwin's impression of the geology of New Zealand.
9. At the first stop after Sao Jago, what are Darwin's observations?
10. Tell about Capt. Fitz Roy's talk with Patagonians before making it through the Magdalen Channel.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)