|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who takes Darwin and his gaucho companion to a mountain called the Sierra de la Ventana?
(a) a friendly native
(b) a military guide
(c) a Portuguese priest
(d) a local rancher
2. On the way after Monte Video, what surrounds the Beagle?
(a) man eating sharks
(b) a swarm of butterflies and other flying insects
(c) hostile natives in canoes
(d) schools of dolphins
3. What happened at Sierra Tapalguen the night before Darwin and company arrive at the nearby outpost?
(a) a hailstorm with hail as large as apples
(b) an electrical storm that set the forest ablaze
(c) a tornado a mile wide
(d) an eclipse of the moon
4. What is the composition of Sierra de la Ventana?
(a) mostly ignecious rock
(b) largely limestone
(c) mostly granite
(d) largely white quartz
5. What is Darwin told about climatic events in the area?
(a) drought followed by floods
(b) heatwaves and cold spells
(c) rainfall changes in the course of rivers
(d) tidal waves and cyclones
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a particular riding skill of a gaucho?
2. Where does Darwin spend ten weeks at the mouth of the Plata River?
3. What marine creature does Darwin discover off of St. Domingo that he keeps in his cabin?
4. What small bird resembles quail in its habits and snipe in its looks?
5. What does Darwin observe that is formed by lightning hitting the hills and traversing through the sand?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the people of Uruguay receive Darwin and what does he notice there?
2. At the Rio Negro, about 300 miles to the south of Maldonado, what is the evidence of political turmoil in South America?
3. What is Darwin given to eat at Tapalguen River?
4. How does Darwin regard the Brazilian horses?
5. What does Darwin have to say about the Brazilian rain forest?
6. What does Darwin write about how the gauchos break horses?
7. Relate the circumstances of returning natives of Tierra del Fuego island.
8. What does Darwin write about a huge bird he kills up the Santa Cruz River?
9. Describe two species of birds Darwin locates after he finds the fossils.
10. How does Darwin react to the selling of children as slaves as opposed to what the soldiers and the settlers think about it.
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)