|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Darwin see along the way where robbers hide and cattle can be lost?
(a) dark hollows
(b) vast expanses of thistles
(c) thick copses
(d) many rocky caves
2. Where does the Beagle anchor at Tierra del Fuego island?
(a) the Bay of Good Success
(b) the Bay of Good Hope
(c) the Bay of Santiago
(d) the Bay of Bengal
3. What does Darwin collect traveling around Argentina?
(a) many species of quadrupeds, birds, lizards and snakes
(b) common rocks and precious stones
(c) leaves, parasites, and ledgends
(d) fresh fruit to take back to the Beagle
4. What does Darwin find while exploring Cape de Verd?
(a) an amazing variety of strange plants
(b) fossils of extremely large land animals
(c) a cemetery with headstones dating back to the 16th century
(d) remains of a forgotten 14th century civilization
5. Sailing away from Rio de Janeiro, what does Darwin see?
(a) hundreds of porpoises
(b) giant squid
(c) shark infested waters
(d) a pod of whales
6. What animals had been introduced on East Falkland Island?
(a) goats and koalas
(b) a herd of cattle and rabbits
(c) sheep and house cats
(d) kangaroos and ostriches
7. After leaving the Santa Cruz River, where does the Beagle make its next stop?
(a) the Galapogas Islands
(b) East Falkland Island
(c) Baja California
8. What are the two different styles Darwin uses in his journal?
(a) clergyman and scientist
(b) biologist and engineer
(c) scientist and journalist
(d) explorer and philosopher
9. What is Darwin's profession?
(a) a 19th century naturalist
(b) a 19th century map maker
(c) a 19th century chemist
(d) a 19th century ship's captain
10. What does the man think Darwin is going to do?
(a) push him into the water
(b) make him work
(c) strike him
(d) give him money
11. What does Darwin discover had happened at El Carmen or Patagones?
(a) a cyclone had flattened all the vegetation
(b) a volcano had erupted fifty miles away
(c) wild natives had attacked and destroyed the ranches
(d) forest fires had decimated the area
12. What is the guanaco Darwin sees on the way to the Sauce military outpost?
(a) an extremely large lizard
(b) a black toad with a red underbelly
(c) a large bird like a condor
(d) the wild version of the domesticated llama
13. What are the only two insects Darwin locates on St. Paul's Rocks?
(a) moths and ants
(b) ticks and fleas
(c) grasshoppers and flies
(d) spiders and parasites brought in on the birds
14. What is the composition of most of the rock formations on the Brazilian coast?
15. What animal life does Darwin observe on the trail?
(a) llamas and ostriches
(b) pumas and wolves
(c) mustangs and pheasants
(d) a rabbit-like creature called a bizcacha and a small owl
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Darwin and his companions find at the Colorado River?
2. How do Darwin and the soldiers make their way toward Buenos Aires?
3. How does Darwin speculate the craggy boulders around the mountains were moved?
4. What is the Casarita meaning little house builder?
5. What does Darwin find that thrives in the area around the salt lakes?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)