|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Darwin see camphor, pepper, cinnamon and clove trees, along with breadfruit, jaca and mango?
(a) the edge of the sea
(b) deep in the Brazilian jungle
(c) the Botanical Garden
(d) in a Brazilian marketplace
2. What does Darwin compare to the taste of veal?
(a) armadillo meat
(b) llama meat
(c) lizard meat
(d) puma meat
3. What are the two different styles Darwin uses in his journal?
(a) clergyman and scientist
(b) biologist and engineer
(c) explorer and philosopher
(d) scientist and journalist
4. Where does Darwin travel with the company of a guide and five gauchos?
(c) Machu Picchu
(d) Buenos Aires
5. What do the gauchos bring down using their bolas?
(a) trees, cacti, or boulders
(b) elephants, lions, and kangaroos
(c) birds, monkeys, or crocodiles
(d) game, cattle, horses, or humans
6. What do Gen. Rosa's soldiers do after killing the adult natives?
(a) Scalp the natives.
(b) They keep the children to sell as slaves.
(c) Feed the natives to the crocodiles.
(d) Barbecue the natives.
7. What small bird resembles quail in its habits and snipe in its looks?
(a) the South American mockingbird
(b) the avioticus imbicilus
(c) the flightless pheasant
(d) the tinochorus rumicivorous
8. After the return to Rio de Janeiro, where does Darwin stay that is rich in resources for the naturalist?
(a) with the governor of Rio de Janeiro
(b) in a cottage on Botofogo Bay
(c) in the center of the city
(d) in a luxury hotel on Botofogo Bay
9. Sailing away from Rio de Janeiro, what does Darwin see?
(a) shark infested waters
(b) hundreds of porpoises
(c) giant squid
(d) a pod of whales
10. Why can two dead monkeys not be shaken out of a tree?
(a) they are wedged in the branches
(b) the grip of their large hands
(c) the grip of their prehensile tails
(d) they are held by other monkeys
11. What are the dates of Charles Darwin's life span?
(a) May 14, 1850 to June 19, 1922
(b) Feb. 12, 1809 to April 19, 1882
(c) Jan. 6, 1818 to Dec. 3, 1900
(d) Aug. 12, 1829 to Feb. 20, 1903
12. Who are the people living on Tierra del Fuego?
(b) abandoned African slaves
(c) primitive and impoverished natives
(d) Spanish settlers
13. What does Darwin learn about the ostrich?
(a) the ostrich swims long distances
(b) the ostrich mates only once in a lifetime
(c) the ostrich lays six eggs at a time
(d) the ostrich builds nests of clay
14. What amusing thing does Darwin witness outside of Monte Video?
(a) a rabbit hitching a rind on a crocodile
(b) a small owl trying to catch an anaconda
(c) a chicken trying to scare a fox
(d) a gaucho crossing a deep river with a reluctant horse
15. What does Darwin speculate died out on the continent long before the Spanish arrived?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darwin collect traveling around Argentina?
2. What do Darwin and his companions find at the Colorado River?
3. After leaving Las Minas, what does Darwin see near marble outcroppings?
4. What does Darwin find in the Santa Fe area?
5. What does Darwin speculate about the continents?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)