|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Darwin's assessment of the natives on Tierra del Fuego?
(a) They are stupid because of inbreeding.
(b) They are too primitive to civilize.
(c) They are intelligent enough to someday become civilized.
(d) They are an advanced civilization.
2. Where do seals and penguins surround the ship and make noises that resemble cattle?
(a) the Plata estuary
(b) just of the coast from Rio de Janeiro
(c) off the coast of Antarctica
(d) headed north from Rio de Janeiro
3. How does Darwin make it to Monte Video and the Beagle?
(a) on a packet boat
(b) on horseback
(c) on a stagecoach
(d) in a military convoy
4. What do the inhabitants of a ranch north of the Polanco River find interesting when Darwin arrives?
(a) the pictures Darwin draws of plants and insects
(b) Darwin's compass and maps and phosphorous matches
(c) the color of Darwin's skin
(d) the odd clothes that Darwin wears
5. What do Darwin and his gaucho companion hear at the Sauce outpost?
(a) stories about a volcanic eruption in another area
(b) stories about strange animals in that area
(c) stories about a Spanish warship
(d) stories about the battles between the army and natives
6. What does Darwin find in the area of Bahia Blanca?
(a) evidence of a major earthquake
(b) large reptiles that attack cattle
(c) the dry bed of an inland sea
(d) the fossilized skeletons of huge animals
7. What is one of the industries of the native population near the military post?
(a) making lazo, or lassos, for the gauchos
(b) making the round stones for the bolas
(c) weaving ponchos for gauchos
(d) trading horses they caught and trained
8. What is Darwin told about climatic events in the area?
(a) tidal waves and cyclones
(b) drought followed by floods
(c) heatwaves and cold spells
(d) rainfall changes in the course of rivers
9. What are two important items used by the gauchos?
(a) rifles and bows
(b) blow guns and spears
(c) the lazo (lasso) and the bola
(d) knives and pistols
10. Who are the people living on Tierra del Fuego?
(b) primitive and impoverished natives
(c) abandoned African slaves
(d) Spanish settlers
11. Upon Darwin's return to Buenos Aires, what is going on?
(a) an international meeting
(b) a celebration
(c) a serious drought
(d) a revolution
12. Where does Darwin spend ten weeks at the mouth of the Plata River?
(a) at a British outpost
(b) a small town named Maldonado
(c) a camp set up especially for him
(d) in a Brazilian fort
13. Why can two dead monkeys not be shaken out of a tree?
(a) the grip of their prehensile tails
(b) they are wedged in the branches
(c) the grip of their large hands
(d) they are held by other monkeys
14. What does Darwin find in the Santa Fe area?
(a) evidence of dinosaurs
(b) the shell of a gigantic armadillo and a fossilized horse tooth.
(c) tar pits and mammoth tracks
(d) fossilized crustations from an inland sea
15. What does Darwin compare to the taste of veal?
(a) llama meat
(b) lizard meat
(c) puma meat
(d) armadillo meat
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Darwin encounter in the village of Las Minas?
2. What is the composition of the Cape de Verd Islands?
3. What does Darwin observe that is formed by lightning hitting the hills and traversing through the sand?
4. What has Darwin observed on the ship that lets out silk into the wind and takes flight over the ocean?
5. How does Darwin end up bringing his own horse down?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)