|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After leaving the Santa Cruz River, where does the Beagle make its next stop?
(a) Baja California
(b) East Falkland Island
(c) the Galapogas Islands
2. How does Darwin end up bringing his own horse down?
(a) attempting to use a bola
(b) trying to lasso a steer
(c) jumping over a cactus
(d) climbing up a ravine
3. What do Gen. Rosa's soldiers do after killing the adult natives?
(a) Barbecue the natives.
(b) They keep the children to sell as slaves.
(c) Feed the natives to the crocodiles.
(d) Scalp the natives.
4. What is the composition of most of the rock formations on the Brazilian coast?
5. How does the Santa Cruz River bed change as Darwin moves upstream?
(a) from sand and silt to polished granite
(b) from stones to black volcanic rock
(c) from red clay to smooth stones
(d) from stones to marshy sand
6. Why is a tree Darwin comes across famous among the natives?
(a) It is the largest tree in South America.
(b) It bears a medicinal fruit.
(c) It can be seen for miles in any direction.
(d) It is revered as an altar to a god called Walleechu.
7. How do Darwin and the soldiers make their way toward Buenos Aires?
(a) mostly hiking over the mountains
(b) riding llamas over the mountains
(c) moving from outpost to outpost
(d) moving down and following the coastline
8. Upon Darwin's return to Buenos Aires, what is going on?
(a) an international meeting
(b) a revolution
(c) a serious drought
(d) a celebration
9. What is Darwin's assessment of the natives on Tierra del Fuego?
(a) They are intelligent enough to someday become civilized.
(b) They are stupid because of inbreeding.
(c) They are an advanced civilization.
(d) They are too primitive to civilize.
10. Who takes Darwin and his gaucho companion to a mountain called the Sierra de la Ventana?
(a) a military guide
(b) a Portuguese priest
(c) a local rancher
(d) a friendly native
11. Who does Darwin accompany while exploring around Botofogo Bay?
(a) Capt. Fitz Roy
(b) a large bearded monkey
(c) his hired native guide
(d) an old Portuguese priest
12. On the way after Monte Video, what surrounds the Beagle?
(a) a swarm of butterflies and other flying insects
(b) hostile natives in canoes
(c) schools of dolphins
(d) man eating sharks
13. What is a sporting way gauchos sometimes dismount?
(a) jump off a gallopiing horse
(b) do a flip off the horse at a sudden stop
(c) slip off the back end of the horse
(d) step off a horse that is going down
14. What large bird does Darwin shoot up the Santa Cruz River?
(a) a pelican
(b) a condor
(c) an ostrich
(d) an eagle
15. On the way to Santa Fe, what makes the road very difficult, especially for the many carts with huge wheels?
(a) recent heavy rains
(b) very narrow trails in some places
(c) occasional battles with natives
(d) rockslides off the mountains
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Darwin observed on the ship that lets out silk into the wind and takes flight over the ocean?
2. What does Darwin find while exploring Cape de Verd?
3. How does Darwin make it to Monte Video and the Beagle?
4. What does Darwin do during his three-day stay in Socego?
5. What does Darwin find that thrives in the area around the salt lakes?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)