|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Darwin encounter in the village of Las Minas?
(a) the military
(b) the Incas
(c) the gauchos
(d) some bandits
2. What does Darwin find in the area of Bahia Blanca?
(a) large reptiles that attack cattle
(b) the dry bed of an inland sea
(c) evidence of a major earthquake
(d) the fossilized skeletons of huge animals
3. What do Gen. Rosa's soldiers do after killing the adult natives?
(a) They keep the children to sell as slaves.
(b) Feed the natives to the crocodiles.
(c) Barbecue the natives.
(d) Scalp the natives.
4. Where do seals and penguins surround the ship and make noises that resemble cattle?
(a) just of the coast from Rio de Janeiro
(b) off the coast of Antarctica
(c) the Plata estuary
(d) headed north from Rio de Janeiro
5. What amusing thing does Darwin witness outside of Monte Video?
(a) a rabbit hitching a rind on a crocodile
(b) a small owl trying to catch an anaconda
(c) a chicken trying to scare a fox
(d) a gaucho crossing a deep river with a reluctant horse
6. What animals had been introduced on East Falkland Island?
(a) a herd of cattle and rabbits
(b) kangaroos and ostriches
(c) sheep and house cats
(d) goats and koalas
7. What does Darwin discover about fifteen miles from Patagones?
(a) a sand dune mountain
(b) a volcanic crater
(c) a tar pit
(d) a salt lake
8. What does the kingfisher use to collect its food?
(a) sharp eyesight to spot fish near the surface
(b) a high sound that paralyzes fish
(c) a scissor beak used to skim the water and catch small fish
(d) sharp talons to catch small fish
9. Sailing away from Rio de Janeiro, what does Darwin see?
(a) giant squid
(b) shark infested waters
(c) hundreds of porpoises
(d) a pod of whales
10. On the way to Santa Fe, what makes the road very difficult, especially for the many carts with huge wheels?
(a) occasional battles with natives
(b) recent heavy rains
(c) very narrow trails in some places
(d) rockslides off the mountains
11. What is an important occupation for the gauchos?
(a) trapping pumas
(b) carrying the mail
(c) making whisky
(d) breaking horses
12. What does Darwin compare to the taste of veal?
(a) lizard meat
(b) puma meat
(c) llama meat
(d) armadillo meat
13. Why is a puppy that will become a sheep dog put in with a herd to grow up?
(a) It grows up antagonistic to sheep.
(b) It grows up understanding what sheep say.
(c) It grows up believing it is a sheep.
(d) It grows up loving sheep.
14. How do Darwin and the soldiers make their way toward Buenos Aires?
(a) riding llamas over the mountains
(b) moving from outpost to outpost
(c) mostly hiking over the mountains
(d) moving down and following the coastline
15. What does Darwin write that he found along the banks of the Santa Cruz River?
(a) large apes
(b) prehistoric fossils
(c) kangaroo tracks
(d) nothing new or of great interest
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the sociological condition in Brazil that disturbs Darwin?
2. What happened at Sierra Tapalguen the night before Darwin and company arrive at the nearby outpost?
3. How does Darwin make it to Monte Video and the Beagle?
4. On the way after Monte Video, what surrounds the Beagle?
5. What does Darwin find while exploring Cape de Verd?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)