|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the gauchos bring down using their bolas?
(a) game, cattle, horses, or humans
(b) birds, monkeys, or crocodiles
(c) trees, cacti, or boulders
(d) elephants, lions, and kangaroos
2. Where does Darwin see a rocky, steep hill jutting about 1,000 feet into the sky?
(a) Cape de Verd islands
(b) Fernando Noronha Island
(c) St. domingo
(d) St. Paul's Rocks
3. What do Gen. Rosa's soldiers do after killing the adult natives?
(a) They keep the children to sell as slaves.
(b) Feed the natives to the crocodiles.
(c) Barbecue the natives.
(d) Scalp the natives.
4. Where does Darwin travel with the company of a guide and five gauchos?
(a) Machu Picchu
(c) Buenos Aires
5. Upon Darwin's return to Buenos Aires, what is going on?
(a) a serious drought
(b) a celebration
(c) a revolution
(d) an international meeting
6. What is the Casarita meaning little house builder?
(a) a snake that builds mounds of rock
(b) a bird that digs long holes into its underground nest
(c) a kind of rabbit that nests in trees
(d) a species of armadillo
7. What do Darwin and his gaucho companion hear at the Sauce outpost?
(a) stories about a Spanish warship
(b) stories about a volcanic eruption in another area
(c) stories about the battles between the army and natives
(d) stories about strange animals in that area
8. Where does the Beagle anchor at Tierra del Fuego island?
(a) the Bay of Santiago
(b) the Bay of Good Success
(c) the Bay of Bengal
(d) the Bay of Good Hope
9. What is a particular riding skill of a gaucho?
(a) riding on the underside of the horse to avoid detection
(b) riding for days without getting out of the saddle
(c) standing up in the saddle at full gallop
(d) going around a post at full gallop touching a finger to the post
10. What does Darwin learn about the ostrich?
(a) the ostrich swims long distances
(b) the ostrich lays six eggs at a time
(c) the ostrich mates only once in a lifetime
(d) the ostrich builds nests of clay
11. What does Darwin find while exploring Cape de Verd?
(a) fossils of extremely large land animals
(b) an amazing variety of strange plants
(c) a cemetery with headstones dating back to the 16th century
(d) remains of a forgotten 14th century civilization
12. After leaving Las Minas, what does Darwin see near marble outcroppings?
(a) large flocks of ostriches roaming the land
(b) giant land turtles
(c) pygmie hippopotamuses
(d) kangaroos and wallabies
13. Who are the people living on Tierra del Fuego?
(a) abandoned African slaves
(b) primitive and impoverished natives
(c) Spanish settlers
14. What does Darwin do during his three-day stay in Socego?
(a) catch up on his sleep
(b) collects insects within the forest
(c) climbs trees
(d) go hungry
15. What do the Brazilian villages remind Darwin of?
(a) Scottish villages
(b) paintings of early Egypt
(c) the Hottentot dwellings of Southern Africa
(d) settlements on Cape de Verd
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened at Sierra Tapalguen the night before Darwin and company arrive at the nearby outpost?
2. What does Darwin discover about fifteen miles from Patagones?
3. What does Darwin have to do for two days at the military encampment?
4. What does Darwin see at Punta Alta?
5. Leaving Monte Video, where is the Beagle headed?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)