|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Darwin and his gaucho companion hear at the Sauce outpost?
(a) stories about strange animals in that area
(b) stories about the battles between the army and natives
(c) stories about a volcanic eruption in another area
(d) stories about a Spanish warship
2. What is Darwin's profession?
(a) a 19th century map maker
(b) a 19th century ship's captain
(c) a 19th century naturalist
(d) a 19th century chemist
3. Sailing away from Rio de Janeiro, what does Darwin see?
(a) a pod of whales
(b) hundreds of porpoises
(c) shark infested waters
(d) giant squid
4. What does Darwin find in the Santa Fe area?
(a) fossilized crustations from an inland sea
(b) the shell of a gigantic armadillo and a fossilized horse tooth.
(c) evidence of dinosaurs
(d) tar pits and mammoth tracks
5. Why can two dead monkeys not be shaken out of a tree?
(a) they are wedged in the branches
(b) the grip of their prehensile tails
(c) they are held by other monkeys
(d) the grip of their large hands
6. What does Darwin find while exploring Cape de Verd?
(a) a cemetery with headstones dating back to the 16th century
(b) fossils of extremely large land animals
(c) remains of a forgotten 14th century civilization
(d) an amazing variety of strange plants
7. What large bird does Darwin shoot up the Santa Cruz River?
(a) an ostrich
(b) a pelican
(c) a condor
(d) an eagle
8. How does Darwin describe Gen. Rosas?
(a) as a disturbed man who wants to be in Buenos Aires
(b) as a masterful horseman who dresses like the gauchos
(c) as a fat, jolly man who loves to talk
(d) as a tall thin man who does not wear his uniform well
9. How does Darwin make it to Monte Video and the Beagle?
(a) on horseback
(b) on a stagecoach
(c) in a military convoy
(d) on a packet boat
10. Where does Darwin see camphor, pepper, cinnamon and clove trees, along with breadfruit, jaca and mango?
(a) in a Brazilian marketplace
(b) the Botanical Garden
(c) the edge of the sea
(d) deep in the Brazilian jungle
11. What do Darwin's discoveries cause him to think about?
(a) the many different kins of one species
(b) species that have become extinct
(c) the pre-historic geology
(d) species unknown in Europe
12. What does Darwin see along the way where robbers hide and cattle can be lost?
(a) many rocky caves
(b) vast expanses of thistles
(c) dark hollows
(d) thick copses
13. What causes the different colored water Darwin sees after leaving Bahia?
(a) small interlocking organisms
(b) undersea volcano eruptions
(c) variance in temperature
(d) color from iron oxide deposits
14. Who does Darwin encounter in the village of Las Minas?
(a) the gauchos
(b) the military
(c) the Incas
(d) some bandits
15. What is the guanaco Darwin sees on the way to the Sauce military outpost?
(a) a black toad with a red underbelly
(b) a large bird like a condor
(c) an extremely large lizard
(d) the wild version of the domesticated llama
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened at Sierra Tapalguen the night before Darwin and company arrive at the nearby outpost?
2. Who are York Minster, Jemmy Button and Fuegia Basket?
3. After leaving the Santa Cruz River, where does the Beagle make its next stop?
4. Why is a tree Darwin comes across famous among the natives?
5. What does Darwin discover that some small owls eat by examining the contents of their stomachs?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)