|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is a tree Darwin comes across famous among the natives?
(a) It can be seen for miles in any direction.
(b) It bears a medicinal fruit.
(c) It is the largest tree in South America.
(d) It is revered as an altar to a god called Walleechu.
2. Where does Darwin get his first walk through a rain forest?
(a) Fernando Noronha Island
(b) the Brazilian state of Bahia
(c) the south of Chile
(d) the interior of Uruguay
3. What does Darwin see at Punta Alta?
(a) a squirrel called rocky
(b) a skunk called a zorillo
(c) a man called horse
(d) a cat called gatito
4. How do Darwin and the soldiers make their way toward Buenos Aires?
(a) moving from outpost to outpost
(b) mostly hiking over the mountains
(c) riding llamas over the mountains
(d) moving down and following the coastline
5. After leaving Las Minas, what does Darwin see near marble outcroppings?
(a) giant land turtles
(b) kangaroos and wallabies
(c) pygmie hippopotamuses
(d) large flocks of ostriches roaming the land
6. Where does Darwin spend ten weeks at the mouth of the Plata River?
(a) a small town named Maldonado
(b) at a British outpost
(c) in a Brazilian fort
(d) a camp set up especially for him
7. What does Darwin have to do for two days at the military encampment?
(a) classify the various fish caught in the Colorado
(b) listen to stories about native religion
(c) catch up on entries in his journal
(d) little else but observe the natives
8. What does Darwin find in the Santa Fe area?
(a) tar pits and mammoth tracks
(b) fossilized crustations from an inland sea
(c) evidence of dinosaurs
(d) the shell of a gigantic armadillo and a fossilized horse tooth.
9. What does Darwin collect traveling around Argentina?
(a) common rocks and precious stones
(b) leaves, parasites, and ledgends
(c) fresh fruit to take back to the Beagle
(d) many species of quadrupeds, birds, lizards and snakes
10. What is Darwin told about climatic events in the area?
(a) drought followed by floods
(b) tidal waves and cyclones
(c) heatwaves and cold spells
(d) rainfall changes in the course of rivers
11. Upon Darwin's return to Buenos Aires, what is going on?
(a) a serious drought
(b) a revolution
(c) an international meeting
(d) a celebration
12. Where do the people show hospitality and allow Darwin to stay at various outposts and ranches?
13. What does Darwin find while exploring Cape de Verd?
(a) an amazing variety of strange plants
(b) remains of a forgotten 14th century civilization
(c) a cemetery with headstones dating back to the 16th century
(d) fossils of extremely large land animals
14. What is the Casarita meaning little house builder?
(a) a kind of rabbit that nests in trees
(b) a species of armadillo
(c) a bird that digs long holes into its underground nest
(d) a snake that builds mounds of rock
15. What is the guanaco Darwin sees on the way to the Sauce military outpost?
(a) the wild version of the domesticated llama
(b) a black toad with a red underbelly
(c) an extremely large lizard
(d) a large bird like a condor
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is a puppy that will become a sheep dog put in with a herd to grow up?
2. Where do seals and penguins surround the ship and make noises that resemble cattle?
3. How does the Santa Cruz River bed change as Darwin moves upstream?
4. What is Capt. Fitz Roy's plan after anchoring at the mouth of the Santa Cruz River?
5. What does Darwin speculate about the continents?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)