|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are York Minster, Jemmy Button and Fuegia Basket?
(a) Gauchos from Argentina
(b) guides on Tierra del Fuego
(c) Natives of the Tierra del Fuego area
(d) Crewmen on the Beagle
2. What is Darwin told about climatic events in the area?
(a) heatwaves and cold spells
(b) rainfall changes in the course of rivers
(c) tidal waves and cyclones
(d) drought followed by floods
3. What do Gen. Rosa's soldiers do after killing the adult natives?
(a) Barbecue the natives.
(b) Scalp the natives.
(c) Feed the natives to the crocodiles.
(d) They keep the children to sell as slaves.
4. How does Darwin speculate the craggy boulders around the mountains were moved?
(a) by volcanic eruptions
(b) by seismic activity
(c) by meteors
(d) by floating icebergs
5. What is the Casarita meaning little house builder?
(a) a kind of rabbit that nests in trees
(b) a species of armadillo
(c) a bird that digs long holes into its underground nest
(d) a snake that builds mounds of rock
6. Where does Darwin see a rocky, steep hill jutting about 1,000 feet into the sky?
(a) Fernando Noronha Island
(b) St. domingo
(c) Cape de Verd islands
(d) St. Paul's Rocks
7. What do the Brazilian villages remind Darwin of?
(a) settlements on Cape de Verd
(b) paintings of early Egypt
(c) the Hottentot dwellings of Southern Africa
(d) Scottish villages
8. What does Darwin see at Punta Alta?
(a) a squirrel called rocky
(b) a skunk called a zorillo
(c) a cat called gatito
(d) a man called horse
9. What causes the different colored water Darwin sees after leaving Bahia?
(a) variance in temperature
(b) color from iron oxide deposits
(c) small interlocking organisms
(d) undersea volcano eruptions
10. How do Darwin and the soldiers make their way toward Buenos Aires?
(a) riding llamas over the mountains
(b) moving down and following the coastline
(c) mostly hiking over the mountains
(d) moving from outpost to outpost
11. What does Darwin discover about fifteen miles from Patagones?
(a) a volcanic crater
(b) a tar pit
(c) a salt lake
(d) a sand dune mountain
12. In addition to the volcanic formation of St. Domingo, what does Darwin notice about the island?
(a) large mud floes
(b) strange stratas of slate
(c) evidence of diamond formations
(d) a band of chalk
13. At Botofogo Bay, what does Darwin find that interests him?
(a) many species of planaria (flatworms)
(b) new kinds of bees
(c) strange flesh eating fish
(d) many species of birds
14. How does Darwin attempt to communicate with a large black man on a ferry?
(b) draws pictures
(c) points to what he wants
(d) talks loud and makes hand gestures
15. Upon Darwin's return to Buenos Aires, what is going on?
(a) a celebration
(b) an international meeting
(c) a serious drought
(d) a revolution
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darwin discover had happened at El Carmen or Patagones?
2. What is Darwin's profession?
3. Where does Darwin see camphor, pepper, cinnamon and clove trees, along with breadfruit, jaca and mango?
4. What does Darwin have to do for two days at the military encampment?
5. How does Darwin describe Gen. Rosas?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)