|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the composition of the Cape de Verd Islands?
(a) volcanic geology and not much vegetation
(b) tectonic geology with sparce vegetation
(c) volcanic geology with lush vegetation
(d) tectonic geology and biological diversity
2. What amusing thing does Darwin witness outside of Monte Video?
(a) a rabbit hitching a rind on a crocodile
(b) a small owl trying to catch an anaconda
(c) a gaucho crossing a deep river with a reluctant horse
(d) a chicken trying to scare a fox
3. What do Darwin and his companions find at the Colorado River?
(a) an abandoned military fort
(b) a ferry to get them to the other side
(c) many fishing villages
(d) a military encampment headed by General Rosas
4. At Botofogo Bay, what does Darwin find that interests him?
(a) many species of planaria (flatworms)
(b) new kinds of bees
(c) strange flesh eating fish
(d) many species of birds
5. What is the composition of Sierra de la Ventana?
(a) largely white quartz
(b) largely limestone
(c) mostly granite
(d) mostly ignecious rock
6. On the way after Monte Video, what surrounds the Beagle?
(a) a swarm of butterflies and other flying insects
(b) man eating sharks
(c) hostile natives in canoes
(d) schools of dolphins
7. What is a particular riding skill of a gaucho?
(a) riding on the underside of the horse to avoid detection
(b) riding for days without getting out of the saddle
(c) standing up in the saddle at full gallop
(d) going around a post at full gallop touching a finger to the post
8. What affirmation does Darwin make about the earth?
(a) there is no life in a salt lake bed
(b) every part of the world is habitable
(c) some of the earth is inhabitable
(d) life on earth is only near wateer
9. How do Darwin and the soldiers make their way toward Buenos Aires?
(a) mostly hiking over the mountains
(b) moving from outpost to outpost
(c) riding llamas over the mountains
(d) moving down and following the coastline
10. What does Darwin collect traveling around Argentina?
(a) leaves, parasites, and ledgends
(b) common rocks and precious stones
(c) fresh fruit to take back to the Beagle
(d) many species of quadrupeds, birds, lizards and snakes
11. What are the dates of Charles Darwin's life span?
(a) May 14, 1850 to June 19, 1922
(b) Feb. 12, 1809 to April 19, 1882
(c) Jan. 6, 1818 to Dec. 3, 1900
(d) Aug. 12, 1829 to Feb. 20, 1903
12. What is an important occupation for the gauchos?
(a) carrying the mail
(b) trapping pumas
(c) breaking horses
(d) making whisky
13. What does Darwin discover that some small owls eat by examining the contents of their stomachs?
(a) grain and insects
(b) fruit and vegetables
(c) mice and snakes
(d) eggs and other birds
14. Where does Darwin stay at Socego?
(a) in makeshift tents
(b) with native Indians
(c) the Mandetiba inn
(d) the estate of Manuel Figuireda
15. Upon Darwin's return to Buenos Aires, what is going on?
(a) a revolution
(b) a serious drought
(c) a celebration
(d) an international meeting
Short Answer Questions
1. What are two important items used by the gauchos?
2. Why can two dead monkeys not be shaken out of a tree?
3. Why does sea salt work better than lake salt as a preservative?
4. What does Darwin speculate died out on the continent long before the Spanish arrived?
5. What marine creature does Darwin discover off of St. Domingo that he keeps in his cabin?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)