|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who invites Darwin to visit an estate near Rio de Janeiro?
(a) a French explorer
(b) an English landowner
(c) a Brazilian general
(d) a wealthy Brazilian
2. What does Darwin discover that some small owls eat by examining the contents of their stomachs?
(a) mice and snakes
(b) eggs and other birds
(c) grain and insects
(d) fruit and vegetables
3. Where does Darwin see a rocky, steep hill jutting about 1,000 feet into the sky?
(a) St. domingo
(b) St. Paul's Rocks
(c) Fernando Noronha Island
(d) Cape de Verd islands
4. What amusing thing does Darwin witness outside of Monte Video?
(a) a gaucho crossing a deep river with a reluctant horse
(b) a small owl trying to catch an anaconda
(c) a rabbit hitching a rind on a crocodile
(d) a chicken trying to scare a fox
5. Who does Darwin accompany while exploring around Botofogo Bay?
(a) Capt. Fitz Roy
(b) a large bearded monkey
(c) an old Portuguese priest
(d) his hired native guide
6. Where does Darwin spend ten weeks at the mouth of the Plata River?
(a) in a Brazilian fort
(b) a small town named Maldonado
(c) a camp set up especially for him
(d) at a British outpost
7. In addition to the volcanic formation of St. Domingo, what does Darwin notice about the island?
(a) a band of chalk
(b) evidence of diamond formations
(c) strange stratas of slate
(d) large mud floes
8. Leaving Monte Video, where is the Beagle headed?
(a) for Baja California
(b) for North America
(c) for Port Desire on the coast of Patagonia
(d) for Alaska
9. Sailing away from Rio de Janeiro, what does Darwin see?
(a) giant squid
(b) hundreds of porpoises
(c) shark infested waters
(d) a pod of whales
10. How does Darwin speculate the craggy boulders around the mountains were moved?
(a) by floating icebergs
(b) by volcanic eruptions
(c) by meteors
(d) by seismic activity
11. Who are the people living on Tierra del Fuego?
(a) primitive and impoverished natives
(c) Spanish settlers
(d) abandoned African slaves
12. What does Darwin discover about fifteen miles from Patagones?
(a) a salt lake
(b) a volcanic crater
(c) a sand dune mountain
(d) a tar pit
13. What is the sociological condition in Brazil that disturbs Darwin?
14. Where does the Beagle anchor at Tierra del Fuego island?
(a) the Bay of Good Success
(b) the Bay of Good Hope
(c) the Bay of Bengal
(d) the Bay of Santiago
15. What is the Casarita meaning little house builder?
(a) a species of armadillo
(b) a kind of rabbit that nests in trees
(c) a snake that builds mounds of rock
(d) a bird that digs long holes into its underground nest
Short Answer Questions
1. What are two important items used by the gauchos?
2. Upon Darwin's return to Buenos Aires, what is going on?
3. How does Darwin describe Gen. Rosas?
4. What is the composition of most of the rock formations on the Brazilian coast?
5. What do the gauchos bring down using their bolas?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)