|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Darwin observe that is formed by lightning hitting the hills and traversing through the sand?
(a) black glass
(b) silicone balls
(c) glass tubes
(d) veins of gold
2. What does Darwin discover that some small owls eat by examining the contents of their stomachs?
(a) grain and insects
(b) mice and snakes
(c) fruit and vegetables
(d) eggs and other birds
3. What small bird resembles quail in its habits and snipe in its looks?
(a) the South American mockingbird
(b) the tinochorus rumicivorous
(c) the avioticus imbicilus
(d) the flightless pheasant
4. What does Darwin speculate about the continents?
(a) why they are so different
(b) volcanic anctions in all of them
(c) shifts in the earth's teutonic plates
(d) a land bridge across what is now the Bering Strait
5. What do the inhabitants of a ranch north of the Polanco River find interesting when Darwin arrives?
(a) the odd clothes that Darwin wears
(b) Darwin's compass and maps and phosphorous matches
(c) the color of Darwin's skin
(d) the pictures Darwin draws of plants and insects
6. What does Darwin learn about the ostrich?
(a) the ostrich lays six eggs at a time
(b) the ostrich mates only once in a lifetime
(c) the ostrich builds nests of clay
(d) the ostrich swims long distances
7. What affirmation does Darwin make about the earth?
(a) life on earth is only near wateer
(b) every part of the world is habitable
(c) there is no life in a salt lake bed
(d) some of the earth is inhabitable
8. After leaving the Santa Cruz River, where does the Beagle make its next stop?
(a) the Galapogas Islands
(b) Baja California
(d) East Falkland Island
9. What marine creature does Darwin discover off of St. Domingo that he keeps in his cabin?
(a) an octopus
(b) a cuttlefish
(c) a starfish
(d) a sea slug
10. What do the gauchos bring down using their bolas?
(a) game, cattle, horses, or humans
(b) trees, cacti, or boulders
(c) elephants, lions, and kangaroos
(d) birds, monkeys, or crocodiles
11. What is the composition of Sierra de la Ventana?
(a) largely white quartz
(b) mostly ignecious rock
(c) mostly granite
(d) largely limestone
12. Where does Darwin see a rocky, steep hill jutting about 1,000 feet into the sky?
(a) Fernando Noronha Island
(b) St. domingo
(c) St. Paul's Rocks
(d) Cape de Verd islands
13. Where does Darwin get his first walk through a rain forest?
(a) the interior of Uruguay
(b) the south of Chile
(c) Fernando Noronha Island
(d) the Brazilian state of Bahia
14. Who are York Minster, Jemmy Button and Fuegia Basket?
(a) Crewmen on the Beagle
(b) Natives of the Tierra del Fuego area
(c) guides on Tierra del Fuego
(d) Gauchos from Argentina
15. Who invites Darwin to visit an estate near Rio de Janeiro?
(a) a wealthy Brazilian
(b) a French explorer
(c) an English landowner
(d) a Brazilian general
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Darwin's assessment of the natives on Tierra del Fuego?
2. On the way after Monte Video, what surrounds the Beagle?
3. Who does Darwin encounter in the village of Las Minas?
4. Who does Darwin accompany while exploring around Botofogo Bay?
5. What do Darwin and his companions find at the Colorado River?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)