|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After leaving the Santa Cruz River, where does the Beagle make its next stop?
(a) Baja California
(b) East Falkland Island
(c) the Galapogas Islands
2. What are the dates of Charles Darwin's life span?
(a) May 14, 1850 to June 19, 1922
(b) Aug. 12, 1829 to Feb. 20, 1903
(c) Feb. 12, 1809 to April 19, 1882
(d) Jan. 6, 1818 to Dec. 3, 1900
3. What does Darwin see along the way where robbers hide and cattle can be lost?
(a) many rocky caves
(b) dark hollows
(c) vast expanses of thistles
(d) thick copses
4. What does Darwin find while exploring Cape de Verd?
(a) an amazing variety of strange plants
(b) remains of a forgotten 14th century civilization
(c) a cemetery with headstones dating back to the 16th century
(d) fossils of extremely large land animals
5. Upon Darwin's return to Buenos Aires, what is going on?
(a) a revolution
(b) an international meeting
(c) a serious drought
(d) a celebration
6. What do Gen. Rosa's soldiers do after killing the adult natives?
(a) Scalp the natives.
(b) Barbecue the natives.
(c) They keep the children to sell as slaves.
(d) Feed the natives to the crocodiles.
7. What does Darwin learn about the ostrich?
(a) the ostrich lays six eggs at a time
(b) the ostrich swims long distances
(c) the ostrich mates only once in a lifetime
(d) the ostrich builds nests of clay
8. What do the inhabitants of a ranch north of the Polanco River find interesting when Darwin arrives?
(a) the odd clothes that Darwin wears
(b) the color of Darwin's skin
(c) Darwin's compass and maps and phosphorous matches
(d) the pictures Darwin draws of plants and insects
9. What is the composition of the Cape de Verd Islands?
(a) volcanic geology with lush vegetation
(b) tectonic geology with sparce vegetation
(c) volcanic geology and not much vegetation
(d) tectonic geology and biological diversity
10. Who takes Darwin and his gaucho companion to a mountain called the Sierra de la Ventana?
(a) a military guide
(b) a friendly native
(c) a local rancher
(d) a Portuguese priest
11. What small bird resembles quail in its habits and snipe in its looks?
(a) the avioticus imbicilus
(b) the South American mockingbird
(c) the flightless pheasant
(d) the tinochorus rumicivorous
12. Where does Darwin see a rocky, steep hill jutting about 1,000 feet into the sky?
(a) St. Paul's Rocks
(b) St. domingo
(c) Fernando Noronha Island
(d) Cape de Verd islands
13. What is the guanaco Darwin sees on the way to the Sauce military outpost?
(a) a large bird like a condor
(b) an extremely large lizard
(c) a black toad with a red underbelly
(d) the wild version of the domesticated llama
14. What causes the different colored water Darwin sees after leaving Bahia?
(a) color from iron oxide deposits
(b) variance in temperature
(c) small interlocking organisms
(d) undersea volcano eruptions
15. Where does Darwin spend ten weeks at the mouth of the Plata River?
(a) a small town named Maldonado
(b) in a Brazilian fort
(c) a camp set up especially for him
(d) at a British outpost
Short Answer Questions
1. On the way after Monte Video, what surrounds the Beagle?
2. What does Darwin do during his three-day stay in Socego?
3. What has Darwin observed on the ship that lets out silk into the wind and takes flight over the ocean?
4. What does Darwin collect traveling around Argentina?
5. What is the composition of Sierra de la Ventana?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)