|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Darwin make it to Monte Video and the Beagle?
(a) on a stagecoach
(b) on a packet boat
(c) in a military convoy
(d) on horseback
2. What do the gauchos bring down using their bolas?
(a) game, cattle, horses, or humans
(b) birds, monkeys, or crocodiles
(c) trees, cacti, or boulders
(d) elephants, lions, and kangaroos
3. What amusing thing does Darwin witness outside of Monte Video?
(a) a chicken trying to scare a fox
(b) a gaucho crossing a deep river with a reluctant horse
(c) a rabbit hitching a rind on a crocodile
(d) a small owl trying to catch an anaconda
4. What does Darwin speculate about the continents?
(a) a land bridge across what is now the Bering Strait
(b) volcanic anctions in all of them
(c) why they are so different
(d) shifts in the earth's teutonic plates
5. What do the gauchos prepare for a meal on the island?
(a) a boneless roast with the hide still on the meat
(b) puma steaks
(c) a soup made with a large turtle
(d) a spit roasted wild goat
6. How does Darwin speculate the craggy boulders around the mountains were moved?
(a) by seismic activity
(b) by meteors
(c) by floating icebergs
(d) by volcanic eruptions
7. What is a sporting way gauchos sometimes dismount?
(a) step off a horse that is going down
(b) do a flip off the horse at a sudden stop
(c) jump off a gallopiing horse
(d) slip off the back end of the horse
8. Where does Darwin see a rocky, steep hill jutting about 1,000 feet into the sky?
(a) St. domingo
(b) St. Paul's Rocks
(c) Fernando Noronha Island
(d) Cape de Verd islands
9. Why is a puppy that will become a sheep dog put in with a herd to grow up?
(a) It grows up antagonistic to sheep.
(b) It grows up understanding what sheep say.
(c) It grows up loving sheep.
(d) It grows up believing it is a sheep.
10. What does Darwin find that thrives in the area around the salt lakes?
(a) a species of mammals
(b) a species of worms
(c) a species of birds
(d) a species of snakes
11. What is the Casarita meaning little house builder?
(a) a kind of rabbit that nests in trees
(b) a snake that builds mounds of rock
(c) a bird that digs long holes into its underground nest
(d) a species of armadillo
12. What are the only two insects Darwin locates on St. Paul's Rocks?
(a) spiders and parasites brought in on the birds
(b) ticks and fleas
(c) moths and ants
(d) grasshoppers and flies
13. How does Darwin end up bringing his own horse down?
(a) climbing up a ravine
(b) trying to lasso a steer
(c) jumping over a cactus
(d) attempting to use a bola
14. In addition to the volcanic formation of St. Domingo, what does Darwin notice about the island?
(a) a band of chalk
(b) strange stratas of slate
(c) evidence of diamond formations
(d) large mud floes
15. After the return to Rio de Janeiro, where does Darwin stay that is rich in resources for the naturalist?
(a) in a luxury hotel on Botofogo Bay
(b) with the governor of Rio de Janeiro
(c) in the center of the city
(d) in a cottage on Botofogo Bay
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darwin discover had happened at El Carmen or Patagones?
2. Why is a tree Darwin comes across famous among the natives?
3. What does Darwin find in the Santa Fe area?
4. How does Darwin attempt to communicate with a large black man on a ferry?
5. Who invites Darwin to visit an estate near Rio de Janeiro?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)