|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In addition to the volcanic formation of St. Domingo, what does Darwin notice about the island?
(a) strange stratas of slate
(b) large mud floes
(c) a band of chalk
(d) evidence of diamond formations
2. What animal does Darwin find in small herds after arriving at Port Desire?
(a) the guanaco, rarely seen to the north, is abundant
(b) the bizcacha, in communal burrows
(c) the llama, rarely seen outside of Peru
(d) the deer, usually found in jungles
3. Upon Darwin's return to Buenos Aires, what is going on?
(a) a revolution
(b) a celebration
(c) an international meeting
(d) a serious drought
4. What is one of the industries of the native population near the military post?
(a) weaving ponchos for gauchos
(b) making lazo, or lassos, for the gauchos
(c) making the round stones for the bolas
(d) trading horses they caught and trained
5. What happened at Sierra Tapalguen the night before Darwin and company arrive at the nearby outpost?
(a) an eclipse of the moon
(b) a hailstorm with hail as large as apples
(c) a tornado a mile wide
(d) an electrical storm that set the forest ablaze
6. Sailing away from Rio de Janeiro, what does Darwin see?
(a) a pod of whales
(b) giant squid
(c) hundreds of porpoises
(d) shark infested waters
7. What does Darwin discover had happened at El Carmen or Patagones?
(a) a volcano had erupted fifty miles away
(b) forest fires had decimated the area
(c) a cyclone had flattened all the vegetation
(d) wild natives had attacked and destroyed the ranches
8. Who invites Darwin to visit an estate near Rio de Janeiro?
(a) an English landowner
(b) a wealthy Brazilian
(c) a Brazilian general
(d) a French explorer
9. How does the Santa Cruz River bed change as Darwin moves upstream?
(a) from stones to black volcanic rock
(b) from stones to marshy sand
(c) from sand and silt to polished granite
(d) from red clay to smooth stones
10. What do Darwin's discoveries cause him to think about?
(a) species unknown in Europe
(b) the pre-historic geology
(c) species that have become extinct
(d) the many different kins of one species
11. What do Gen. Rosa's soldiers do after killing the adult natives?
(a) They keep the children to sell as slaves.
(b) Scalp the natives.
(c) Feed the natives to the crocodiles.
(d) Barbecue the natives.
12. What affirmation does Darwin make about the earth?
(a) life on earth is only near wateer
(b) there is no life in a salt lake bed
(c) every part of the world is habitable
(d) some of the earth is inhabitable
13. What does the man think Darwin is going to do?
(a) give him money
(b) make him work
(c) strike him
(d) push him into the water
14. What large bird does Darwin shoot up the Santa Cruz River?
(a) an eagle
(b) a pelican
(c) an ostrich
(d) a condor
15. What does Darwin speculate died out on the continent long before the Spanish arrived?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Darwin travel with the company of a guide and five gauchos?
2. How does Darwin make it to Monte Video and the Beagle?
3. How does Darwin end up bringing his own horse down?
4. On the way to Santa Fe, what makes the road very difficult, especially for the many carts with huge wheels?
5. Where does Darwin spend ten weeks at the mouth of the Plata River?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)