|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Darwin end up bringing his own horse down?
(a) attempting to use a bola
(b) climbing up a ravine
(c) trying to lasso a steer
(d) jumping over a cactus
2. What causes the different colored water Darwin sees after leaving Bahia?
(a) undersea volcano eruptions
(b) color from iron oxide deposits
(c) small interlocking organisms
(d) variance in temperature
3. What does Darwin find while exploring Cape de Verd?
(a) fossils of extremely large land animals
(b) remains of a forgotten 14th century civilization
(c) an amazing variety of strange plants
(d) a cemetery with headstones dating back to the 16th century
4. What does Darwin discover about fifteen miles from Patagones?
(a) a sand dune mountain
(b) a tar pit
(c) a salt lake
(d) a volcanic crater
5. Who are the people living on Tierra del Fuego?
(a) Spanish settlers
(b) primitive and impoverished natives
(d) abandoned African slaves
6. What are two important items used by the gauchos?
(a) the lazo (lasso) and the bola
(b) blow guns and spears
(c) knives and pistols
(d) rifles and bows
7. After leaving Las Minas, what does Darwin see near marble outcroppings?
(a) kangaroos and wallabies
(b) giant land turtles
(c) large flocks of ostriches roaming the land
(d) pygmie hippopotamuses
8. What do Gen. Rosa's soldiers do after killing the adult natives?
(a) Feed the natives to the crocodiles.
(b) Barbecue the natives.
(c) They keep the children to sell as slaves.
(d) Scalp the natives.
9. What does Darwin discover had happened at El Carmen or Patagones?
(a) forest fires had decimated the area
(b) wild natives had attacked and destroyed the ranches
(c) a volcano had erupted fifty miles away
(d) a cyclone had flattened all the vegetation
10. Where does Darwin get his first walk through a rain forest?
(a) the south of Chile
(b) the Brazilian state of Bahia
(c) Fernando Noronha Island
(d) the interior of Uruguay
11. What does Darwin find in the area of Bahia Blanca?
(a) large reptiles that attack cattle
(b) evidence of a major earthquake
(c) the fossilized skeletons of huge animals
(d) the dry bed of an inland sea
12. What is a sporting way gauchos sometimes dismount?
(a) jump off a gallopiing horse
(b) slip off the back end of the horse
(c) do a flip off the horse at a sudden stop
(d) step off a horse that is going down
13. Where do seals and penguins surround the ship and make noises that resemble cattle?
(a) the Plata estuary
(b) off the coast of Antarctica
(c) just of the coast from Rio de Janeiro
(d) headed north from Rio de Janeiro
14. What does Darwin find that thrives in the area around the salt lakes?
(a) a species of snakes
(b) a species of birds
(c) a species of mammals
(d) a species of worms
15. What does the kingfisher use to collect its food?
(a) a scissor beak used to skim the water and catch small fish
(b) a high sound that paralyzes fish
(c) sharp eyesight to spot fish near the surface
(d) sharp talons to catch small fish
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the guanaco Darwin sees on the way to the Sauce military outpost?
2. What happened at Sierra Tapalguen the night before Darwin and company arrive at the nearby outpost?
3. What is the sociological condition in Brazil that disturbs Darwin?
4. What does Darwin discover that some small owls eat by examining the contents of their stomachs?
5. What does Darwin speculate died out on the continent long before the Spanish arrived?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)