|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Darwin end up bringing his own horse down?
(a) climbing up a ravine
(b) trying to lasso a steer
(c) attempting to use a bola
(d) jumping over a cactus
2. What amusing thing does Darwin witness outside of Monte Video?
(a) a chicken trying to scare a fox
(b) a rabbit hitching a rind on a crocodile
(c) a small owl trying to catch an anaconda
(d) a gaucho crossing a deep river with a reluctant horse
3. In addition to the volcanic formation of St. Domingo, what does Darwin notice about the island?
(a) a band of chalk
(b) large mud floes
(c) evidence of diamond formations
(d) strange stratas of slate
4. What do the Brazilian villages remind Darwin of?
(a) settlements on Cape de Verd
(b) the Hottentot dwellings of Southern Africa
(c) Scottish villages
(d) paintings of early Egypt
5. What is the Casarita meaning little house builder?
(a) a snake that builds mounds of rock
(b) a bird that digs long holes into its underground nest
(c) a kind of rabbit that nests in trees
(d) a species of armadillo
6. Sailing away from Rio de Janeiro, what does Darwin see?
(a) giant squid
(b) hundreds of porpoises
(c) a pod of whales
(d) shark infested waters
7. After the return to Rio de Janeiro, where does Darwin stay that is rich in resources for the naturalist?
(a) in a luxury hotel on Botofogo Bay
(b) in a cottage on Botofogo Bay
(c) with the governor of Rio de Janeiro
(d) in the center of the city
8. How does Darwin attempt to communicate with a large black man on a ferry?
(a) talks loud and makes hand gestures
(b) draws pictures
(d) points to what he wants
9. What large bird does Darwin shoot up the Santa Cruz River?
(a) a pelican
(b) an eagle
(c) a condor
(d) an ostrich
10. Leaving Monte Video, where is the Beagle headed?
(a) for Port Desire on the coast of Patagonia
(b) for Baja California
(c) for North America
(d) for Alaska
11. What does Darwin discover had happened at El Carmen or Patagones?
(a) a volcano had erupted fifty miles away
(b) a cyclone had flattened all the vegetation
(c) wild natives had attacked and destroyed the ranches
(d) forest fires had decimated the area
12. Who does Darwin encounter in the village of Las Minas?
(a) the Incas
(b) the gauchos
(c) some bandits
(d) the military
13. What is the composition of Sierra de la Ventana?
(a) largely white quartz
(b) mostly ignecious rock
(c) largely limestone
(d) mostly granite
14. How does the Santa Cruz River bed change as Darwin moves upstream?
(a) from red clay to smooth stones
(b) from sand and silt to polished granite
(c) from stones to black volcanic rock
(d) from stones to marshy sand
15. On the way after Monte Video, what surrounds the Beagle?
(a) a swarm of butterflies and other flying insects
(b) schools of dolphins
(c) man eating sharks
(d) hostile natives in canoes
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the inhabitants of a ranch north of the Polanco River find interesting when Darwin arrives?
2. How does Darwin surmise the butterflies and insects got to where the Beagle is?
3. What marine creature does Darwin discover off of St. Domingo that he keeps in his cabin?
4. Why is a tree Darwin comes across famous among the natives?
5. Where does Darwin stay at Socego?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)