|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Darwin describe Gen. Rosas?
(a) as a tall thin man who does not wear his uniform well
(b) as a fat, jolly man who loves to talk
(c) as a masterful horseman who dresses like the gauchos
(d) as a disturbed man who wants to be in Buenos Aires
2. What is Darwin's profession?
(a) a 19th century map maker
(b) a 19th century chemist
(c) a 19th century ship's captain
(d) a 19th century naturalist
3. What is the guanaco Darwin sees on the way to the Sauce military outpost?
(a) an extremely large lizard
(b) a black toad with a red underbelly
(c) a large bird like a condor
(d) the wild version of the domesticated llama
4. What is an important occupation for the gauchos?
(a) breaking horses
(b) carrying the mail
(c) making whisky
(d) trapping pumas
5. What happened at Sierra Tapalguen the night before Darwin and company arrive at the nearby outpost?
(a) an electrical storm that set the forest ablaze
(b) a hailstorm with hail as large as apples
(c) an eclipse of the moon
(d) a tornado a mile wide
6. What is the sociological condition in Brazil that disturbs Darwin?
7. Where does Darwin get his first walk through a rain forest?
(a) the interior of Uruguay
(b) the south of Chile
(c) Fernando Noronha Island
(d) the Brazilian state of Bahia
8. Who are York Minster, Jemmy Button and Fuegia Basket?
(a) Gauchos from Argentina
(b) Crewmen on the Beagle
(c) Natives of the Tierra del Fuego area
(d) guides on Tierra del Fuego
9. Who are the people living on Tierra del Fuego?
(a) Spanish settlers
(b) primitive and impoverished natives
(c) abandoned African slaves
10. What is Capt. Fitz Roy's plan after anchoring at the mouth of the Santa Cruz River?
(a) to take boats up the river as far as he can
(b) to anchor there for the winter
(c) to trade with natives who come in canoes
(d) to spend a few weeks fishing
11. What animal life does Darwin observe on the trail?
(a) llamas and ostriches
(b) a rabbit-like creature called a bizcacha and a small owl
(c) pumas and wolves
(d) mustangs and pheasants
12. How does Darwin attempt to communicate with a large black man on a ferry?
(a) talks loud and makes hand gestures
(b) points to what he wants
(c) draws pictures
13. What does the kingfisher use to collect its food?
(a) a scissor beak used to skim the water and catch small fish
(b) a high sound that paralyzes fish
(c) sharp eyesight to spot fish near the surface
(d) sharp talons to catch small fish
14. What do the inhabitants of a ranch north of the Polanco River find interesting when Darwin arrives?
(a) the pictures Darwin draws of plants and insects
(b) Darwin's compass and maps and phosphorous matches
(c) the odd clothes that Darwin wears
(d) the color of Darwin's skin
15. What does Darwin see along the way where robbers hide and cattle can be lost?
(a) many rocky caves
(b) vast expanses of thistles
(c) thick copses
(d) dark hollows
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the gauchos prepare for a meal on the island?
2. What are the dates of Charles Darwin's life span?
3. What are two important items used by the gauchos?
4. What does Darwin discover about fifteen miles from Patagones?
5. Why is a tree Darwin comes across famous among the natives?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)