|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Darwin learn about the ostrich?
(a) the ostrich builds nests of clay
(b) the ostrich swims long distances
(c) the ostrich mates only once in a lifetime
(d) the ostrich lays six eggs at a time
2. Who are York Minster, Jemmy Button and Fuegia Basket?
(a) Crewmen on the Beagle
(b) Natives of the Tierra del Fuego area
(c) guides on Tierra del Fuego
(d) Gauchos from Argentina
3. Why is a tree Darwin comes across famous among the natives?
(a) It bears a medicinal fruit.
(b) It is the largest tree in South America.
(c) It can be seen for miles in any direction.
(d) It is revered as an altar to a god called Walleechu.
4. What happened at Sierra Tapalguen the night before Darwin and company arrive at the nearby outpost?
(a) a hailstorm with hail as large as apples
(b) a tornado a mile wide
(c) an electrical storm that set the forest ablaze
(d) an eclipse of the moon
5. What animal is a scavenger for hard objects it piles at the entrance to its burrows?
(a) the bizcacha
(b) the packrat
(c) the iguana
(d) the toucan
6. How does the Santa Cruz River bed change as Darwin moves upstream?
(a) from stones to marshy sand
(b) from red clay to smooth stones
(c) from stones to black volcanic rock
(d) from sand and silt to polished granite
7. Where does Darwin spend ten weeks at the mouth of the Plata River?
(a) in a Brazilian fort
(b) a small town named Maldonado
(c) at a British outpost
(d) a camp set up especially for him
8. How does Darwin describe Gen. Rosas?
(a) as a masterful horseman who dresses like the gauchos
(b) as a fat, jolly man who loves to talk
(c) as a disturbed man who wants to be in Buenos Aires
(d) as a tall thin man who does not wear his uniform well
9. What does Darwin discover that some small owls eat by examining the contents of their stomachs?
(a) grain and insects
(b) fruit and vegetables
(c) eggs and other birds
(d) mice and snakes
10. What large bird does Darwin shoot up the Santa Cruz River?
(a) an ostrich
(b) an eagle
(c) a pelican
(d) a condor
11. Why is a puppy that will become a sheep dog put in with a herd to grow up?
(a) It grows up loving sheep.
(b) It grows up antagonistic to sheep.
(c) It grows up believing it is a sheep.
(d) It grows up understanding what sheep say.
12. What are the dates of Charles Darwin's life span?
(a) May 14, 1850 to June 19, 1922
(b) Jan. 6, 1818 to Dec. 3, 1900
(c) Feb. 12, 1809 to April 19, 1882
(d) Aug. 12, 1829 to Feb. 20, 1903
13. How do Darwin and the soldiers make their way toward Buenos Aires?
(a) riding llamas over the mountains
(b) mostly hiking over the mountains
(c) moving down and following the coastline
(d) moving from outpost to outpost
14. What is Darwin's assessment of the natives on Tierra del Fuego?
(a) They are stupid because of inbreeding.
(b) They are intelligent enough to someday become civilized.
(c) They are too primitive to civilize.
(d) They are an advanced civilization.
15. What causes the different colored water Darwin sees after leaving Bahia?
(a) variance in temperature
(b) small interlocking organisms
(c) undersea volcano eruptions
(d) color from iron oxide deposits
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the composition of Sierra de la Ventana?
2. What is the composition of the Cape de Verd Islands?
3. What animals had been introduced on East Falkland Island?
4. What do Darwin and his companions find at the Colorado River?
5. What is the Casarita meaning little house builder?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)