|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal does Darwin find in small herds after arriving at Port Desire?
(a) the guanaco, rarely seen to the north, is abundant
(b) the bizcacha, in communal burrows
(c) the llama, rarely seen outside of Peru
(d) the deer, usually found in jungles
2. Upon Darwin's return to Buenos Aires, what is going on?
(a) an international meeting
(b) a celebration
(c) a serious drought
(d) a revolution
3. After leaving the Santa Cruz River, where does the Beagle make its next stop?
(a) East Falkland Island
(b) the Galapogas Islands
(c) Baja California
4. What has Darwin observed on the ship that lets out silk into the wind and takes flight over the ocean?
(a) sea gulls
5. Who invites Darwin to visit an estate near Rio de Janeiro?
(a) a Brazilian general
(b) a wealthy Brazilian
(c) an English landowner
(d) a French explorer
6. On the way after Monte Video, what surrounds the Beagle?
(a) schools of dolphins
(b) man eating sharks
(c) a swarm of butterflies and other flying insects
(d) hostile natives in canoes
7. Where does Darwin travel with the company of a guide and five gauchos?
(a) Buenos Aires
(c) Machu Picchu
8. What are the dates of Charles Darwin's life span?
(a) Feb. 12, 1809 to April 19, 1882
(b) May 14, 1850 to June 19, 1922
(c) Jan. 6, 1818 to Dec. 3, 1900
(d) Aug. 12, 1829 to Feb. 20, 1903
9. Where does Darwin stay at Socego?
(a) the Mandetiba inn
(b) in makeshift tents
(c) the estate of Manuel Figuireda
(d) with native Indians
10. What does the man think Darwin is going to do?
(a) make him work
(b) push him into the water
(c) give him money
(d) strike him
11. Who are York Minster, Jemmy Button and Fuegia Basket?
(a) Natives of the Tierra del Fuego area
(b) guides on Tierra del Fuego
(c) Crewmen on the Beagle
(d) Gauchos from Argentina
12. What animal is a scavenger for hard objects it piles at the entrance to its burrows?
(a) the iguana
(b) the bizcacha
(c) the packrat
(d) the toucan
13. In addition to the volcanic formation of St. Domingo, what does Darwin notice about the island?
(a) large mud floes
(b) a band of chalk
(c) evidence of diamond formations
(d) strange stratas of slate
14. What does the evening meal consist of at Don Juan Fuentes' house?
(a) barbecued goat and wine
(b) fried eggs and flying fish
(c) only a variety of vegetables
(d) nothing but meat and water
15. What do Gen. Rosa's soldiers do after killing the adult natives?
(a) Scalp the natives.
(b) Feed the natives to the crocodiles.
(c) They keep the children to sell as slaves.
(d) Barbecue the natives.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do seals and penguins surround the ship and make noises that resemble cattle?
2. What are the only two insects Darwin locates on St. Paul's Rocks?
3. What does Darwin find while exploring Cape de Verd?
4. How does Darwin make it to Monte Video and the Beagle?
5. What is the guanaco Darwin sees on the way to the Sauce military outpost?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)