|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What impresses Darwin about the Tahitians?
(a) their warlike nature
(b) their body covering tattoos
(c) their modesty of dress
(d) their friendliness and good looks, despite their tattoos
2. Why do they have a problem with making a meal at 11,000 feet?
(a) Water boils at a very low temperature at this altitude.
(b) There are few sticks to use for making a fire.
(c) The wind blows out their fire.
(d) Their supplies are all frozen.
3. What does Darwin do during his three-day stay in Socego?
(a) collects insects within the forest
(b) catch up on his sleep
(c) go hungry
(d) climbs trees
4. What does Darwin learn about the ostrich?
(a) the ostrich lays six eggs at a time
(b) the ostrich builds nests of clay
(c) the ostrich mates only once in a lifetime
(d) the ostrich swims long distances
5. Why can Darwin not explore the forest of Chiloe?
(a) It is held sacred by the natives.
(b) It is too wet to support horse or man,
(c) It is filled with poisonous plants.
(d) It is too thick to pass through.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does sea salt work better than lake salt as a preservative?
2. What is a principal industry of Chile that Darwin observes?
3. What does Darwin discover at the saltpeter mine?
4. What does Darwin see that is the size of a rabbit but looks like a kangaroo?
5. What do the gauchos bring down using their bolas?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)