|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Rand, a nation has only the right to __________ of its individual citizens.
2. In which year was Branden's essay, "Counterfeit Individualism" written?
3. Denying an individual his right to property is synonymous with denying him his right to _______.
4. What does Rand blame on the notion that causes men to feel inferior?
5. According to Ayn Rand, the major problem of socialism is the denial of what type of rights?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Ayn Rand believe that a society must devise a moral code? How should a society decide upon a moral code?
2. How does Ayn Rand believe that a government should finance itself in a free society?
3. How does Rand define rights in her essay, "Man's Rights?"
4. What does it mean to live an existence of stagnation, according to Nathaniel Branden? What scenarios does Nathaniel Branden present in his explanation?
5. According to Rand, do humans need government? How does Ayn Rand define government?
6. How do people falsely define Individualism, as stated by Nathaniel Branden?
7. In Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics," Rand uses the principle to explain communism, communist thought, and society. Explain Ayn Rand's revulsion toward communism and how it pairs with collectivized ethics.
8. What are Ayn Rand's views on mandatory taxation?
9. What is the focus of the essay, "The Monument Builders?"
10. Explain the notion of "collectivized ethics" as mentioned in Ayn Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rand finds there are many problems with the government as well as the views of Western Society. Rand explains her solutions to the many problems that exist within the society. According to Rand, what does she consider to be the traits of a "free" society?
Essay Topic 2
In Rand's essay on "The Monument Builders," Rand challenges and rejects the socialist movement. What does Rand dislike about the socialist movement? What is the significance of the title?
Essay Topic 3
What are Rand's thoughts on American society and government? What are the benefits that Rand cites throughout her works?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)