|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The notion that many people define individualism as the action of not conforming to the standard actions or ideas of the group is _________.
2. In which year was Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics," published?
3. In which political system does the government own all societal goods and provide the people with what they need?
4. According to Rand, a nation has only the right to __________ of its individual citizens.
5. Rand states that the alleged goal of socialism was to end ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Ayn Rand's thoughts on racism and how does she define it?
2. What is the focus of the essay, "The Monument Builders?"
3. What does it mean to live an existence of stagnation, according to Nathaniel Branden? What scenarios does Nathaniel Branden present in his explanation?
4. Explain the idea of "Collectivized Rights" as Rand describes.
5. How does Louis XIV fit into Ayn Rand's discussion in her essay, "The Monument Builders?"
6. Explain the notion of "collectivized ethics" as mentioned in Ayn Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics."
7. How must an individual justify his/her action, as stated by Nathaniel Branden in his essay, "Counterfeit Individualism?"
8. How does Rand define rights in her essay, "Man's Rights?"
9. According to Ayn Rand, what are the benefits one can gain from living a social existence?
10. What are Ayn Rand's views on mandatory taxation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does it mean that someone should not attempt to further oneself at the expense of another? Cite some examples.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Ayn Rand's philosophy on Objectivism as stated in her essay on objectivist ethics. What are the main ideas of Objectivist ethics?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Rand's thoughts about racism as well as her contrasting views of the Civil Rights Bill that was passed in 1964. How are her feelings toward both situations ironic?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)