|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Denying an individual his right to property is synonymous with denying him his right to _______.
2. Which country's monuments does Rand state have always been quite modest?
3. Historically, what did socialist economic planning come about as a reaction to?
4. Which term is defined as "a manifestation of helplessness, of self-loathing and of the desire for the unearned?"
5. Which American group does Rand attack in her essay, "Collectivized Ethics?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the definition of "power lust" as defined by Ayn Rand in her essay, "The Monument Builders?" Explain.
2. Explain why Ayn Rand is against collectivized ethics.
3. What is Rand's view on the Civil Rights Bill of 1964?
4. What type of projects does the principle of "collectivized ethics" support, and by which means are those tasks carried out? Explain.
5. What are Ayn Rand's views on mandatory taxation?
6. According to Ayn Rand, what are the benefits one can gain from living a social existence?
7. In Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics," Rand uses the principle to explain communism, communist thought, and society. Explain Ayn Rand's revulsion toward communism and how it pairs with collectivized ethics.
8. What does Rand consider to be the source of rights and how does she describe the origin?
9. Does Ayn Rand believe that a society must devise a moral code? How should a society decide upon a moral code?
10. How must an individual justify his/her action, as stated by Nathaniel Branden in his essay, "Counterfeit Individualism?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Rand's thoughts about racism as well as her contrasting views of the Civil Rights Bill that was passed in 1964. How are her feelings toward both situations ironic?
Essay Topic 2
Is it racist to think in terms of black and white? What are the similarities between racism and thinking in terms of black and white? What are the major differences? What does Rand say about each?
Essay Topic 3
Rand finds there are many problems with the government as well as the views of Western Society. Rand explains her solutions to the many problems that exist within the society. According to Rand, what does she consider to be the traits of a "free" society?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)