|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "the notion of ascribing moral, social or political significance to a man's genetic lineage?"
2. According to Rand, which country was the first to establish a system in which the society was subordinated to the individual rights?
3. Denying an individual his right to property is synonymous with denying him his right to _______.
4. What political system punishes irrationality and rewards rational thought?
5. Rand believes that the socialist theory as a whole is _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Rand, do humans need government? How does Ayn Rand define government?
2. How do people falsely define Individualism, as stated by Nathaniel Branden?
3. According to Ayn Rand, what are the benefits one can gain from living a social existence?
4. What type of projects does the principle of "collectivized ethics" support, and by which means are those tasks carried out? Explain.
5. What does Rand consider to be the source of rights and how does she describe the origin?
6. In Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics," Rand uses the principle to explain communism, communist thought, and society. Explain Ayn Rand's revulsion toward communism and how it pairs with collectivized ethics.
7. What is Rand's view on the Civil Rights Bill of 1964?
8. How does Ayn Rand believe that a government should finance itself in a free society?
9. Explain the idea of "Collectivized Rights" as Rand describes.
10. What does Nathaniel Branden discuss in his essay, "The Divine Right of Stagnation," in regard to human growth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In one of her essays, Rand mentions the notion of "moral grayness." What is moral grayness according to Rand? Is the act of moral grayness an evil act? Why and when?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Ayn Rand's philosophy on Objectivism as stated in her essay on objectivist ethics. What are the main ideas of Objectivist ethics?
Essay Topic 3
Using Rand's objectivist theory, explain why it is rational to aid others in an emergency situation. How does this differ from Rand's belief about helping others in a situation which is not considered an emergency?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)