|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish the quotation: "Individual rights are the means of subordinating ________ to moral law."
2. Denying an individual his right to property is synonymous with denying him his right to _______.
3. According to Rand, a nation has only the right to __________ of its individual citizens.
4. Rand states in her essay, "Government Financing in a Free Society," that her proposal for government financing is ________ in practice.
5. What is "an institution that holds exclusive power to enforce certain rules for social conduct in a given geographical area?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rand define rights in her essay, "Man's Rights?"
2. Does Ayn Rand believe that a society must devise a moral code? How should a society decide upon a moral code?
3. Explain the idea of "Collectivized Rights" as Rand describes.
4. What type of projects does the principle of "collectivized ethics" support, and by which means are those tasks carried out? Explain.
5. How does Louis XIV fit into Ayn Rand's discussion in her essay, "The Monument Builders?"
6. What is Rand's view on the Civil Rights Bill of 1964?
7. What are Ayn Rand's views on mandatory taxation?
8. Explain why Ayn Rand is against collectivized ethics.
9. How do people falsely define Individualism, as stated by Nathaniel Branden?
10. Explain the notion of "collectivized ethics" as mentioned in Ayn Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rand finds there are many problems with the government as well as the views of Western Society. Rand explains her solutions to the many problems that exist within the society. According to Rand, what does she consider to be the traits of a "free" society?
Essay Topic 2
Nathaniel Branden claims that moralists and mystics contribute to the destruction of one's mental health. Explain his reasoning on this topic, regarding how morality and mysticism are directly related to one's mental health. Cite examples from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Typically, members of Western Society deem the passing of moral judgment as wrong. What does Rand say about the subject? How does she support her thoughts?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)