|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Rand's essay, "Man's Rights," she describes several societies that exhibited a collectivist system. Which society is not included?
2. With which country's form of government does Rand largely agree?
3. Historically, what did socialist economic planning come about as a reaction to?
4. Rand does not believe in public projects because the public project does not benefit whom?
5. In which political system does the government own all societal goods and provide the people with what they need?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Rand, do humans need government? How does Ayn Rand define government?
2. What does it mean to live an existence of stagnation, according to Nathaniel Branden? What scenarios does Nathaniel Branden present in his explanation?
3. What does Nathaniel Branden discuss in his essay, "The Divine Right of Stagnation," in regard to human growth?
4. How must an individual justify his/her action, as stated by Nathaniel Branden in his essay, "Counterfeit Individualism?"
5. Does Ayn Rand believe that a society must devise a moral code? How should a society decide upon a moral code?
6. According to Ayn Rand, what are the benefits one can gain from living a social existence?
7. What is the focus of the essay, "The Monument Builders?"
8. What does Rand consider to be the source of rights and how does she describe the origin?
9. What are Ayn Rand's views on mandatory taxation?
10. Explain why Ayn Rand is against collectivized ethics.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Rand's thoughts about racism as well as her contrasting views of the Civil Rights Bill that was passed in 1964. How are her feelings toward both situations ironic?
Essay Topic 2
What are the reasons Rand gives about why it is beneficial to live within a society? Does her reasoning conflict with objectivist thought?
Essay Topic 3
Ayn Rand mentions socialism and her feelings towards it throughout her essays. What is socialism? Why is Rand against it? Do you see any potential benefits of a socialist society?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)