|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not in violation of human survival as stated by the objectivist principle?
2. In Rand's essay, "The Monument Builders," what is the Moscow subway lined with?
3. Rand describes that socialism can be practiced totally or partially. Which country does she use as an example of a partial socialist government?
4. According to Rand, what do humans need if they are to live in a society?
5. Finish the sentence: Humans should think and judge __________, valuing their own intellect above all else.
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of projects does the principle of "collectivized ethics" support, and by which means are those tasks carried out? Explain.
2. What does Rand consider to be the source of rights and how does she describe the origin?
3. Explain the notion of "collectivized ethics" as mentioned in Ayn Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics."
4. Does Ayn Rand believe that a society must devise a moral code? How should a society decide upon a moral code?
5. Explain the idea of "Collectivized Rights" as Rand describes.
6. Explain why Ayn Rand is against collectivized ethics.
7. In Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics," Rand uses the principle to explain communism, communist thought, and society. Explain Ayn Rand's revulsion toward communism and how it pairs with collectivized ethics.
8. What does it mean to live an existence of stagnation, according to Nathaniel Branden? What scenarios does Nathaniel Branden present in his explanation?
9. What are Ayn Rand's thoughts on racism and how does she define it?
10. How does Rand define rights in her essay, "Man's Rights?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Typically, members of Western Society deem the passing of moral judgment as wrong. What does Rand say about the subject? How does she support her thoughts?
Essay Topic 2
Nathaniel Branden claims that moralists and mystics contribute to the destruction of one's mental health. Explain his reasoning on this topic, regarding how morality and mysticism are directly related to one's mental health. Cite examples from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Rand's reasoning for considering the irrationality of philosophy and philosophers.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)