|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which American group does Rand attack in her essay, "Collectivized Ethics?"
2. Rand believes that the socialist theory as a whole is _______.
3. What political system punishes irrationality and rewards rational thought?
4. What is the extreme example Rand uses to illustrate what can go wrong in a society that doesn't uphold the rights of the individual?
5. According to Ayn Rand, on what basis must the individual give to public works?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the notion of "collectivized ethics" as mentioned in Ayn Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics."
2. How does Rand define rights in her essay, "Man's Rights?"
3. What type of projects does the principle of "collectivized ethics" support, and by which means are those tasks carried out? Explain.
4. What does it mean to live an existence of stagnation, according to Nathaniel Branden? What scenarios does Nathaniel Branden present in his explanation?
5. How do people falsely define Individualism, as stated by Nathaniel Branden?
6. What is the definition of "power lust" as defined by Ayn Rand in her essay, "The Monument Builders?" Explain.
7. In Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics," Rand uses the principle to explain communism, communist thought, and society. Explain Ayn Rand's revulsion toward communism and how it pairs with collectivized ethics.
8. What does Nathaniel Branden discuss in his essay, "The Divine Right of Stagnation," in regard to human growth?
9. Explain the idea of "Collectivized Rights" as Rand describes.
10. How does Ayn Rand describe "Socialism" in her essay, "The Monument Builders?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using Rand's objectivist theory, explain why it is rational to aid others in an emergency situation. How does this differ from Rand's belief about helping others in a situation which is not considered an emergency?
Essay Topic 2
Is it racist to think in terms of black and white? What are the similarities between racism and thinking in terms of black and white? What are the major differences? What does Rand say about each?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Rand's reasoning for considering the irrationality of philosophy and philosophers.
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)