|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not considered a public project?
2. In which year was the essay, "Government Financing in a Free Society" published?
3. Rand does not believe in public projects because the public project does not benefit whom?
4. Which term is defined as "a manifestation of helplessness, of self-loathing and of the desire for the unearned?"
5. In Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics," Rand mentions which system of government in relation to collectivized ethics?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Ayn Rand, what are the benefits one can gain from living a social existence?
2. How does Louis XIV fit into Ayn Rand's discussion in her essay, "The Monument Builders?"
3. How does Ayn Rand believe that a government should finance itself in a free society?
4. Does Ayn Rand believe that a society must devise a moral code? How should a society decide upon a moral code?
5. What is the focus of the essay, "The Monument Builders?"
6. In Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics," Rand uses the principle to explain communism, communist thought, and society. Explain Ayn Rand's revulsion toward communism and how it pairs with collectivized ethics.
7. What does Rand consider to be the source of rights and how does she describe the origin?
8. What are Ayn Rand's thoughts on racism and how does she define it?
9. What is the definition of "power lust" as defined by Ayn Rand in her essay, "The Monument Builders?" Explain.
10. What does Nathaniel Branden discuss in his essay, "The Divine Right of Stagnation," in regard to human growth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is it racist to think in terms of black and white? What are the similarities between racism and thinking in terms of black and white? What are the major differences? What does Rand say about each?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Rand's thoughts about racism as well as her contrasting views of the Civil Rights Bill that was passed in 1964. How are her feelings toward both situations ironic?
Essay Topic 3
How does fiction serve as an outlet for Ayn Rand to spread and further explain her Objectivist philosophy? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)