|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which year was the essay, "Government Financing in a Free Society" published?
2. According to Ayn Rand, the major problem of socialism is the denial of what type of rights?
3. Which monarch erected the palace of Versailles, as stated in Rand's essay "The Monument Builders?"
4. Which term is defined as "a manifestation of helplessness, of self-loathing and of the desire for the unearned?"
5. According to Objectivist thought, what does the individual live for?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Ayn Rand, what are the benefits one can gain from living a social existence?
2. What does Nathaniel Branden discuss in his essay, "The Divine Right of Stagnation," in regard to human growth?
3. What is the definition of "power lust" as defined by Ayn Rand in her essay, "The Monument Builders?" Explain.
4. How do people falsely define Individualism, as stated by Nathaniel Branden?
5. Explain the notion of "collectivized ethics" as mentioned in Ayn Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics."
6. Does Ayn Rand believe that a society must devise a moral code? How should a society decide upon a moral code?
7. Explain why Ayn Rand is against collectivized ethics.
8. In Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics," Rand uses the principle to explain communism, communist thought, and society. Explain Ayn Rand's revulsion toward communism and how it pairs with collectivized ethics.
9. What does it mean to live an existence of stagnation, according to Nathaniel Branden? What scenarios does Nathaniel Branden present in his explanation?
10. How does Rand define rights in her essay, "Man's Rights?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ayn Rand mentions socialism and her feelings towards it throughout her essays. What is socialism? Why is Rand against it? Do you see any potential benefits of a socialist society?
Essay Topic 2
How does fiction serve as an outlet for Ayn Rand to spread and further explain her Objectivist philosophy? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
Rand finds there are many problems with the government as well as the views of Western Society. Rand explains her solutions to the many problems that exist within the society. According to Rand, what does she consider to be the traits of a "free" society?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)