|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country did Rand live in throughout her adulthood?
2. What does Nathaniel Branden state is a concept of ethics and politics and simultaneously a concept of ethics and psychology?
3. Finish the sentence: According to Ayn Rand, society must provide an organized protection against _________.
4. Which monarch erected the palace of Versailles, as stated in Rand's essay "The Monument Builders?"
5. According to Rand, what is defined as conducting one's life according to the divinity of nonexistent beings?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Rand, do humans need government? How does Ayn Rand define government?
2. What is the focus of the essay, "The Monument Builders?"
3. How does Rand define rights in her essay, "Man's Rights?"
4. Explain the idea of "Collectivized Rights" as Rand describes.
5. In Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics," Rand uses the principle to explain communism, communist thought, and society. Explain Ayn Rand's revulsion toward communism and how it pairs with collectivized ethics.
6. Explain the notion of "collectivized ethics" as mentioned in Ayn Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics."
7. What does it mean to live an existence of stagnation, according to Nathaniel Branden? What scenarios does Nathaniel Branden present in his explanation?
8. What is Rand's view on the Civil Rights Bill of 1964?
9. What are Ayn Rand's views on mandatory taxation?
10. According to Ayn Rand, what are the benefits one can gain from living a social existence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain self-interest and its connection to reason as well as in terms of the choices one may make when motivated by self-interest.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Ayn Rand's philosophy on Objectivism as stated in her essay on objectivist ethics. What are the main ideas of Objectivist ethics?
Essay Topic 3
How does fiction serve as an outlet for Ayn Rand to spread and further explain her Objectivist philosophy? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)