|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rand vies for a political system in which public projects are not ________ society.
2. What country did Rand live in throughout her adulthood?
3. What are the two benefits one can gain from living a social existence?
4. What political system is characterized by private or corporate ownership of property?
5. Rand believes that the enactment of socialism has contributed to the _______ and destruction of individuals.
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Ayn Rand, what are the benefits one can gain from living a social existence?
2. Explain why Ayn Rand is against collectivized ethics.
3. What is Rand's view on the Civil Rights Bill of 1964?
4. What are Ayn Rand's views on mandatory taxation?
5. What type of projects does the principle of "collectivized ethics" support, and by which means are those tasks carried out? Explain.
6. How must an individual justify his/her action, as stated by Nathaniel Branden in his essay, "Counterfeit Individualism?"
7. What is the focus of the essay, "The Monument Builders?"
8. What are Ayn Rand's thoughts on racism and how does she define it?
9. Explain the notion of "collectivized ethics" as mentioned in Ayn Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics."
10. Explain the idea of "Collectivized Rights" as Rand describes.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nathaniel Branden claims that moralists and mystics contribute to the destruction of one's mental health. Explain his reasoning on this topic, regarding how morality and mysticism are directly related to one's mental health. Cite examples from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Ayn Rand's philosophy on Objectivism as stated in her essay on objectivist ethics. What are the main ideas of Objectivist ethics?
Essay Topic 3
Explain what the term "rational morality" means in regard to Ayn Rand's theory of Objectivism.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)