|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which country does Rand seek refuge after fleeing Soviet Russia?
2. In which year was Branden's essay, "Counterfeit Individualism" written?
3. Rand states that the alleged goal of socialism was to end ________.
4. Which major historical event ended just two decades before the essay, "The Monument Builders" was written?
5. Which country's monuments does Rand state have always been quite modest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Ayn Rand's thoughts on racism and how does she define it?
2. What is the definition of "power lust" as defined by Ayn Rand in her essay, "The Monument Builders?" Explain.
3. Explain why Ayn Rand is against collectivized ethics.
4. What does it mean to live an existence of stagnation, according to Nathaniel Branden? What scenarios does Nathaniel Branden present in his explanation?
5. Explain the idea of "Collectivized Rights" as Rand describes.
6. Does Ayn Rand believe that a society must devise a moral code? How should a society decide upon a moral code?
7. How must an individual justify his/her action, as stated by Nathaniel Branden in his essay, "Counterfeit Individualism?"
8. What does Nathaniel Branden discuss in his essay, "The Divine Right of Stagnation," in regard to human growth?
9. How does Louis XIV fit into Ayn Rand's discussion in her essay, "The Monument Builders?"
10. According to Rand, do humans need government? How does Ayn Rand define government?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ayn Rand mentions socialism and her feelings towards it throughout her essays. What is socialism? Why is Rand against it? Do you see any potential benefits of a socialist society?
Essay Topic 2
Typically, members of Western Society deem the passing of moral judgment as wrong. What does Rand say about the subject? How does she support her thoughts?
Essay Topic 3
In Rand's essay on "The Monument Builders," Rand challenges and rejects the socialist movement. What does Rand dislike about the socialist movement? What is the significance of the title?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)