|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics," Rand mentions which system of government in relation to collectivized ethics?
2. According to Rand, what is the only cure for racism?
3. Which country does Rand seek refuge after fleeing Soviet Russia?
4. Rand believes that the enactment of socialism has contributed to the _______ and destruction of individuals.
5. What is "an institution that holds exclusive power to enforce certain rules for social conduct in a given geographical area?"
Short Essay Questions
1. In Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics," Rand uses the principle to explain communism, communist thought, and society. Explain Ayn Rand's revulsion toward communism and how it pairs with collectivized ethics.
2. What does it mean to live an existence of stagnation, according to Nathaniel Branden? What scenarios does Nathaniel Branden present in his explanation?
3. What type of projects does the principle of "collectivized ethics" support, and by which means are those tasks carried out? Explain.
4. How does Rand define rights in her essay, "Man's Rights?"
5. Does Ayn Rand believe that a society must devise a moral code? How should a society decide upon a moral code?
6. What is Rand's view on the Civil Rights Bill of 1964?
7. How does Louis XIV fit into Ayn Rand's discussion in her essay, "The Monument Builders?"
8. How must an individual justify his/her action, as stated by Nathaniel Branden in his essay, "Counterfeit Individualism?"
9. What does Rand consider to be the source of rights and how does she describe the origin?
10. What is the definition of "power lust" as defined by Ayn Rand in her essay, "The Monument Builders?" Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Rand's thoughts on American society and government? What are the benefits that Rand cites throughout her works?
Essay Topic 2
Is it racist to think in terms of black and white? What are the similarities between racism and thinking in terms of black and white? What are the major differences? What does Rand say about each?
Essay Topic 3
Explain what the term "rational morality" means in regard to Ayn Rand's theory of Objectivism.
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)