|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rand believes that the enactment of socialism has contributed to the _______ and destruction of individuals.
2. Finish the sentence: According to Ayn Rand, society must provide an organized protection against _________.
3. According to Rand, what is defined as conducting one's life according to the divinity of nonexistent beings?
4. According to Objectivist thought, what does the individual live for?
5. Rand states that the alleged goal of socialism was to end ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How do people falsely define Individualism, as stated by Nathaniel Branden?
2. What is Rand's view on the Civil Rights Bill of 1964?
3. How does Louis XIV fit into Ayn Rand's discussion in her essay, "The Monument Builders?"
4. How does Ayn Rand describe "Socialism" in her essay, "The Monument Builders?"
5. In Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics," Rand uses the principle to explain communism, communist thought, and society. Explain Ayn Rand's revulsion toward communism and how it pairs with collectivized ethics.
6. What does Rand consider to be the source of rights and how does she describe the origin?
7. Does Ayn Rand believe that a society must devise a moral code? How should a society decide upon a moral code?
8. How must an individual justify his/her action, as stated by Nathaniel Branden in his essay, "Counterfeit Individualism?"
9. What does Nathaniel Branden discuss in his essay, "The Divine Right of Stagnation," in regard to human growth?
10. What is the focus of the essay, "The Monument Builders?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the reasons Rand gives about why it is beneficial to live within a society? Does her reasoning conflict with objectivist thought?
Essay Topic 2
In Rand's essay on "The Monument Builders," Rand challenges and rejects the socialist movement. What does Rand dislike about the socialist movement? What is the significance of the title?
Essay Topic 3
What does Nathanial Branden mean when he discusses, "The Divine Right of Stagnation?" How is this perpetuated in society?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)