|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which form of government imposes laws of force and denies its citizens natural rights?
2. In which year was Branden's essay, "Counterfeit Individualism" written?
3. The notion that many people define individualism as the action of not conforming to the standard actions or ideas of the group is _________.
4. Which country's monuments does Rand state have always been quite modest?
5. In Rand's essay, "Man's Rights," she describes a right as the freedom of _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of projects does the principle of "collectivized ethics" support, and by which means are those tasks carried out? Explain.
2. How does Rand define rights in her essay, "Man's Rights?"
3. What does it mean to live an existence of stagnation, according to Nathaniel Branden? What scenarios does Nathaniel Branden present in his explanation?
4. What are Ayn Rand's views on mandatory taxation?
5. How must an individual justify his/her action, as stated by Nathaniel Branden in his essay, "Counterfeit Individualism?"
6. According to Rand, do humans need government? How does Ayn Rand define government?
7. Does Ayn Rand believe that a society must devise a moral code? How should a society decide upon a moral code?
8. Explain the notion of "collectivized ethics" as mentioned in Ayn Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics."
9. What is the definition of "power lust" as defined by Ayn Rand in her essay, "The Monument Builders?" Explain.
10. What is Rand's view on the Civil Rights Bill of 1964?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Rand's reasoning for considering the irrationality of philosophy and philosophers.
Essay Topic 2
Nathaniel Branden claims that moralists and mystics contribute to the destruction of one's mental health. Explain his reasoning on this topic, regarding how morality and mysticism are directly related to one's mental health. Cite examples from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Ayn Rand's philosophy on Objectivism as stated in her essay on objectivist ethics. What are the main ideas of Objectivist ethics?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)