|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What method does Rand give for implementing her government financing plan?
2. Rand believes that the enactment of socialism has contributed to the _______ and destruction of individuals.
3. Which country's monuments does Rand state have always been quite modest?
4. In which year was the essay, "The Monument Builders," published?
5. Which term is defined as "a manifestation of helplessness, of self-loathing and of the desire for the unearned?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ayn Rand believe that a government should finance itself in a free society?
2. How does Ayn Rand describe "Socialism" in her essay, "The Monument Builders?"
3. According to Rand, do humans need government? How does Ayn Rand define government?
4. How must an individual justify his/her action, as stated by Nathaniel Branden in his essay, "Counterfeit Individualism?"
5. What is Rand's view on the Civil Rights Bill of 1964?
6. According to Ayn Rand, what are the benefits one can gain from living a social existence?
7. What does Rand consider to be the source of rights and how does she describe the origin?
8. How does Louis XIV fit into Ayn Rand's discussion in her essay, "The Monument Builders?"
9. Explain the notion of "collectivized ethics" as mentioned in Ayn Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics."
10. In Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics," Rand uses the principle to explain communism, communist thought, and society. Explain Ayn Rand's revulsion toward communism and how it pairs with collectivized ethics.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In one of her essays, Rand mentions the notion of "moral grayness." What is moral grayness according to Rand? Is the act of moral grayness an evil act? Why and when?
Essay Topic 2
How does Ayn Rand feel a government should finance itself? What are some potential problems with Rand's proposal?
Essay Topic 3
In Rand's essay on "The Monument Builders," Rand challenges and rejects the socialist movement. What does Rand dislike about the socialist movement? What is the significance of the title?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)