|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Historically, what did socialist economic planning come about as a reaction to?
2. What does Rand blame on the notion that causes men to feel inferior?
3. In Rand's essay, "The Monument Builders," what is the Moscow subway lined with?
4. Rand believes that the enactment of socialism has contributed to the _______ and destruction of individuals.
5. What political system punishes irrationality and rewards rational thought?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of projects does the principle of "collectivized ethics" support, and by which means are those tasks carried out? Explain.
2. How does Louis XIV fit into Ayn Rand's discussion in her essay, "The Monument Builders?"
3. What does Nathaniel Branden discuss in his essay, "The Divine Right of Stagnation," in regard to human growth?
4. How does Ayn Rand believe that a government should finance itself in a free society?
5. What is Rand's view on the Civil Rights Bill of 1964?
6. What does Rand consider to be the source of rights and how does she describe the origin?
7. Explain why Ayn Rand is against collectivized ethics.
8. In Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics," Rand uses the principle to explain communism, communist thought, and society. Explain Ayn Rand's revulsion toward communism and how it pairs with collectivized ethics.
9. According to Ayn Rand, what are the benefits one can gain from living a social existence?
10. How do people falsely define Individualism, as stated by Nathaniel Branden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Rand's essay on "The Monument Builders," Rand challenges and rejects the socialist movement. What does Rand dislike about the socialist movement? What is the significance of the title?
Essay Topic 2
Is it racist to think in terms of black and white? What are the similarities between racism and thinking in terms of black and white? What are the major differences? What does Rand say about each?
Essay Topic 3
Explain self-interest and its connection to reason as well as in terms of the choices one may make when motivated by self-interest.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)