|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What basis are you acting on if you audition for a Broadway show, after wanting to become a singer, you are an extremely competent singer, and you have performed on stage before?
2. What was Ayn Rand's last work of fiction?
3. Although Rand does not support altruistic belief, she does not ______against it.
4. How does Western Society deem moral judgment?
5. Which Greek philosopher is mentioned once within the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ayn Rand believe happens in the process of a compromise?
2. What is context-dropping, and who uses it?
3. How might one find pleasure in doing productive work?
4. What are Branden's ideas of self-sacrifice regarding mental health?
5. In "Isn't Everyone Selfish?", how does Branden describe the process upon which men act in their own self interest?
6. How does Ayn Rand believe that a government should finance itself in a free society?
7. Explain the point Branden asserts at the beginning of "The Psychology of Pleasure."
8. What does Rand mean when she discusses the "cult of moral grayness?"
9. How does Rand describe the acts of good will committed by an altruist?
10. Describe what Rand states in "The Objectivist Ethics" that philosophers and scientists have never been able to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Ayn Rand feel a government should finance itself? What are some potential problems with Rand's proposal?
Essay Topic 2
What are Rand's thoughts on American society and government? What are the benefits that Rand cites throughout her works?
Essay Topic 3
Typically, members of Western Society deem the passing of moral judgment as wrong. What does Rand say about the subject? How does she support her thoughts?
This section contains 1,245 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)