|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following areas is Nathaniel Branden's area of expertise?
2. Rand believes that because of altruism, what is the only reason people help others?
3. What must the goals one chooses to pursue be in order to be a rational thinker?
4. What does self-esteem provide a person with according to Branden?
5. What does Branden acknowledge as being one of the major causes of mental degradation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rand define "context" in her explanation of the four considerations described?
2. What does Ayn Rand believe happens in the process of a compromise?
3. According to Nathaniel Branden, why is mental health needed for human life and survival?
4. How does Rand describe the objectivist's act of good will?
5. Explain the point Branden asserts at the beginning of "The Psychology of Pleasure."
6. What is the answer to the question, "How does One Lead a Rational Life in an Irrational Society?"
7. What is context-dropping, and who uses it?
8. What are Branden's thoughts on anxiety and guilt as stated in his essay regarding Mental Health and Mysticism?
9. What commonly upheld principle does Rand deem evil in Western Society as stated in her essay on living a rational life?
10. Explain Rand's idea of the four considerations of a rational man's thought and their function.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Rand's thoughts on American society and government? What are the benefits that Rand cites throughout her works?
Essay Topic 2
How does fiction serve as an outlet for Ayn Rand to spread and further explain her Objectivist philosophy? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Ayn Rand's philosophy on Objectivism as stated in her essay on objectivist ethics. What are the main ideas of Objectivist ethics?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)