|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following vocabulary words were not defined in Branden's essay on Mental Health versus Mysticism?
2. What year did Nathaniel Branden write his essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
3. According to Branden, "The Psychology of Pleasure," how many major avenues are there for one to seek pleasure?
4. In which year was "Doesn't Life Require Compromise?" written?
5. According to Rand, what are ideas of mysticism and morality based upon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Ayn Rand believe that a society must devise a moral code? How should a society decide upon a moral code?
2. Explain the notion of "collectivized ethics" as mentioned in Ayn Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics."
3. In Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics," Rand uses the principle to explain communism, communist thought, and society. Explain Ayn Rand's revulsion toward communism and how it pairs with collectivized ethics.
4. What does Rand mean when she states that one must not achieve her own interests by her own efforts only and not at the expense of others?
5. How does Ayn Rand believe that a government should finance itself in a free society?
6. What does the ad hominem argument state, as explained by Ayn Rand?
7. Describe what Rand states in "The Objectivist Ethics" that philosophers and scientists have never been able to do?
8. How does Rand define rights in her essay, "Man's Rights?"
9. What is Branden's purpose in writing the essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
10. Explain the idea of "Collectivized Rights" as Rand describes.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does it mean that someone should not attempt to further oneself at the expense of another? Cite some examples.
Essay Topic 2
In one of her essays, Rand mentions the notion of "moral grayness." What is moral grayness according to Rand? Is the act of moral grayness an evil act? Why and when?
Essay Topic 3
Rand finds there are many problems with the government as well as the views of Western Society. Rand explains her solutions to the many problems that exist within the society. According to Rand, what does she consider to be the traits of a "free" society?
This section contains 1,402 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)