|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rand believe the nature of the human mind to be?
2. In which publication did "The Virtue of Selfishness" first appear?
3. According to Rand, what are ideas of mysticism and morality based upon?
4. According to Branden, what must human beings have in order to have pleasure?
5. Finish the statement: According to Rand, " One must _____, and prepare to be _______."
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rand describe the objectivist's act of good will?
2. According to Rand, how must people evaluate their own rational self interest in a given situation?
3. According to Nathaniel Branden, why is mental health needed for human life and survival?
4. What does Rand say about the definition of society in her essay "The Objectivist Ethics?"
5. According to Branden, what are the avenues where one would find pleasure, and why can one find pleasure in such avenues?
6. How does altruism fit into Branden's essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
7. According to Nathaniel Branden, why do mystics decree pride as an evil?
8. What is the answer to the question, "How does One Lead a Rational Life in an Irrational Society?"
9. What are Branden's ideas of self-sacrifice regarding mental health?
10. How might one find pleasure in doing productive work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Nathanial Branden mean when he discusses, "The Divine Right of Stagnation?" How is this perpetuated in society?
Essay Topic 2
What are the reasons Rand gives about why it is beneficial to live within a society? Does her reasoning conflict with objectivist thought?
Essay Topic 3
How does fiction serve as an outlet for Ayn Rand to spread and further explain her Objectivist philosophy? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)