|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must the goals one chooses to pursue be in order to be a rational thinker?
2. What does Rand claim that Objectivists ethics are in the essay on Objectivist ethics?
3. At the conclusion of Rand's essay on the Objectivist ethics, what does she state is the standard value for the Objectivist?
4. What basis are you acting on If you audition for a Broadway show, you are a poor singer, but you have always have wanted to sing?
5. According to Ayn Rand, one must pass moral judgment in order to live what kind of life?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does altruism fit into Branden's essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
2. What would Rand say about a person who searches for the good in some situations but does "the wrong thing" by mistake?
3. How does Rand describe the acts of good will committed by an altruist?
4. What does Ayn Rand say about the creation and origins of good and evil in her essay "The Objectivist Ethics?"
5. How must one first begin to identify what is gray, according to Ayn Rand?
6. How does Rand define "context" in her explanation of the four considerations described?
7. According to Rand, how must people evaluate their own rational self interest in a given situation?
8. According to Branden, what are the avenues where one would find pleasure, and why can one find pleasure in such avenues?
9. What is the answer to the question, "How does One Lead a Rational Life in an Irrational Society?"
10. What are Branden's ideas of self-sacrifice regarding mental health?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rand finds there are many problems with the government as well as the views of Western Society. Rand explains her solutions to the many problems that exist within the society. According to Rand, what does she consider to be the traits of a "free" society?
Essay Topic 2
Typically, members of Western Society deem the passing of moral judgment as wrong. What does Rand say about the subject? How does she support her thoughts?
Essay Topic 3
How does Ayn Rand feel a government should finance itself? What are some potential problems with Rand's proposal?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)