|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From the objectivist perspective, what should the risk on committing an act of good will be proportionate to?
2. Who is the noble, true, infallible judge in Western society, according to Rand?
3. Branden's notion of pleasure being a psychological need also fits into which of his other notions?
4. According to Ayn Rand, one must pass moral judgment in order to live what kind of life?
5. Which Greek philosopher is mentioned once within the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Branden's thoughts on anxiety and guilt as stated in his essay regarding Mental Health and Mysticism?
2. Describe what Rand states in "The Objectivist Ethics" that philosophers and scientists have never been able to do?
3. How must one first begin to identify what is gray, according to Ayn Rand?
4. What does Rand say about an act of good will in the case of an emergency?
5. According to Branden, what are the avenues where one would find pleasure, and why can one find pleasure in such avenues?
6. How might society commonly define compromise?
7. How does Rand describe the objectivist's act of good will?
8. What are Branden's ideas of self-sacrifice regarding mental health?
9. According to Rand, how must people evaluate their own rational self interest in a given situation?
10. What is context-dropping, and who uses it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rand finds there are many problems with the government as well as the views of Western Society. Rand explains her solutions to the many problems that exist within the society. According to Rand, what does she consider to be the traits of a "free" society?
Essay Topic 2
How does Ayn Rand feel a government should finance itself? What are some potential problems with Rand's proposal?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Rand's thoughts about racism as well as her contrasting views of the Civil Rights Bill that was passed in 1964. How are her feelings toward both situations ironic?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)