|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rand states that judgment is a ______ action to commit.
2. Who created "good" and evil" according to Rand?
3. What does Rand claim about the existence of compromise?
4. What does self-esteem provide a person with according to Branden?
5. According to Ayn Rand, one must pass moral judgment in order to live what kind of life?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does altruism fit into Branden's essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
2. How does Rand describe the acts of good will committed by an altruist?
3. How must one first begin to identify what is gray, according to Ayn Rand?
4. What would Rand say about a person who searches for the good in some situations but does "the wrong thing" by mistake?
5. According to Rand, how must people evaluate their own rational self interest in a given situation?
6. What does Ayn Rand say about the creation and origins of good and evil in her essay "The Objectivist Ethics?"
7. What is faulty about the notion that everyone is selfish?
8. What does Rand mean when she states that one must not achieve her own interests by her own efforts only and not at the expense of others?
9. What commonly upheld principle does Rand deem evil in Western Society as stated in her essay on living a rational life?
10. How does Rand define "context" in her explanation of the four considerations described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is it racist to think in terms of black and white? What are the similarities between racism and thinking in terms of black and white? What are the major differences? What does Rand say about each?
Essay Topic 2
How does Ayn Rand feel a government should finance itself? What are some potential problems with Rand's proposal?
Essay Topic 3
How does fiction serve as an outlet for Ayn Rand to spread and further explain her Objectivist philosophy? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)