|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not examined by Rand within "The Virtue of Selfishness?"
2. What type of need does "mental health" fall under?
3. In Rand's essay, "How Does One Lead a Rational Life in an Irrational Society?" Rand states that people often dismiss evil around them out of what?
4. According to the principles of selfishness, what would be the correct route for convincing an employer that you are the proper candidate for a job?
5. In which year was "Doesn't Life Require Compromise?" written?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rand say about the definition of society in her essay "The Objectivist Ethics?"
2. What does Ayn Rand believe happens in the process of a compromise?
3. What does Rand mean when she states that one must not achieve her own interests by her own efforts only and not at the expense of others?
4. What commonly upheld principle does Rand deem evil in Western Society as stated in her essay on living a rational life?
5. According to Branden, what are the avenues where one would find pleasure, and why can one find pleasure in such avenues?
6. What does Rand mean when she discusses the "cult of moral grayness?"
7. What is context-dropping, and who uses it?
8. How does Rand define "context" in her explanation of the four considerations described?
9. What is Branden's purpose in writing the essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
10. What is Ayn Rand's overall attempt in the writing of her essay, "The Cult of Moral Grayness?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Nathanial Branden mean when he discusses, "The Divine Right of Stagnation?" How is this perpetuated in society?
Essay Topic 2
Using Rand's objectivist theory, explain why it is rational to aid others in an emergency situation. How does this differ from Rand's belief about helping others in a situation which is not considered an emergency?
Essay Topic 3
How does Ayn Rand feel a government should finance itself? What are some potential problems with Rand's proposal?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)