|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From the objectivist perspective, what should the risk on committing an act of good will be proportionate to?
2. According to Branden, "The Psychology of Pleasure," how many major avenues are there for one to seek pleasure?
3. According to Rand, what type of principles have ruled Western Society for years?
4. According to Rand, what are the notions of altruist thought perpetuated by?
5. In Rand's essay on "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests," what are the two ways she claims that goals can be met?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ayn Rand believe happens in the process of a compromise?
2. Why does Rand reject the widely accepted views of morals and values in regard to human existence?
3. How does altruism fit into Branden's essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
4. What would Rand say about a person who searches for the good in some situations but does "the wrong thing" by mistake?
5. According to Branden, what are the avenues where one would find pleasure, and why can one find pleasure in such avenues?
6. What is the answer to the question, "How does One Lead a Rational Life in an Irrational Society?"
7. According to Rand, how must people evaluate their own rational self interest in a given situation?
8. What are Branden's ideas of self-sacrifice regarding mental health?
9. What is Ayn Rand's overall attempt in the writing of her essay, "The Cult of Moral Grayness?"
10. What are Branden's thoughts on anxiety and guilt as stated in his essay regarding Mental Health and Mysticism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nathaniel Branden claims that moralists and mystics contribute to the destruction of one's mental health. Explain his reasoning on this topic, regarding how morality and mysticism are directly related to one's mental health. Cite examples from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
In Rand's essay on "The Monument Builders," Rand challenges and rejects the socialist movement. What does Rand dislike about the socialist movement? What is the significance of the title?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Ayn Rand's philosophy on Objectivism as stated in her essay on objectivist ethics. What are the main ideas of Objectivist ethics?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)