|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Branden write his essay, "Mental Health versus Mysticism and Self-Sacrifice?"
2. According to Rand, what does an act of good will require in the eyes of an altruist?
3. What country is Ayn Rand originally from?
4. What does Rand claim that Objectivists ethics are in the essay on Objectivist ethics?
5. Rand believes that because of altruism, what is the only reason people help others?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rand reject the widely accepted views of morals and values in regard to human existence?
2. Describe what Rand states in "The Objectivist Ethics" that philosophers and scientists have never been able to do?
3. What are Branden's thoughts on anxiety and guilt as stated in his essay regarding Mental Health and Mysticism?
4. How might one find pleasure in doing productive work?
5. What is Ayn Rand's definition of judgment?
6. How does altruism fit into Branden's essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
7. What commonly upheld principle does Rand deem evil in Western Society as stated in her essay on living a rational life?
8. What is Ayn Rand's overall attempt in the writing of her essay, "The Cult of Moral Grayness?"
9. What does Rand mean when she states that one must not achieve her own interests by her own efforts only and not at the expense of others?
10. According to Branden's essay, "The Psychology of Pleasure," how are a person's individual pleasures determined?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Rand's thoughts on American society and government? What are the benefits that Rand cites throughout her works?
Essay Topic 2
What does Nathanial Branden mean when he discusses, "The Divine Right of Stagnation?" How is this perpetuated in society?
Essay Topic 3
How does Ayn Rand feel a government should finance itself? What are some potential problems with Rand's proposal?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)