|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Branden, what do values in the context of ethics guide?
2. Which Greek philosopher is mentioned once within the book?
3. Which fictional character from "Atlas Shrugged" does Ayn Rand constantly refer to in order to explain her Objectivist theory?
4. Rand believes that altruism has destroyed the concept of authentic __________ among men.
5. What type of need does "mental health" fall under?
Short Essay Questions
1. What commonly upheld principle does Rand deem evil in Western Society as stated in her essay on living a rational life?
2. What is Branden's purpose in writing the essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
3. According to Branden's essay, "The Psychology of Pleasure," how are a person's individual pleasures determined?
4. What does Ayn Rand say about the creation and origins of good and evil in her essay "The Objectivist Ethics?"
5. According to Rand, how must people evaluate their own rational self interest in a given situation?
6. What does Rand say about the definition of society in her essay "The Objectivist Ethics?"
7. What are Rand's thoughts on human error?
8. What does Rand say about an act of good will in the case of an emergency?
9. What are Branden's thoughts on anxiety and guilt as stated in his essay regarding Mental Health and Mysticism?
10. What is context-dropping, and who uses it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain self-interest and its connection to reason as well as in terms of the choices one may make when motivated by self-interest.
Essay Topic 2
Using Rand's objectivist theory, explain why it is rational to aid others in an emergency situation. How does this differ from Rand's belief about helping others in a situation which is not considered an emergency?
Essay Topic 3
What are Rand's thoughts on American society and government? What are the benefits that Rand cites throughout her works?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)