|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of need does "mental health" fall under?
2. In which publication did "The Virtue of Selfishness" first appear?
3. According to Rand, compromise is synonymous with relinquishing one's ____________.
4. Which instinct does self-sacrifice directly contradict?
5. According to Rand, what are ideas of mysticism and morality based upon?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Rand's essay, "Doesn't Life Require Compromise?", what does she claim is synonymous with compromise?
2. What are Branden's thoughts on anxiety and guilt as stated in his essay regarding Mental Health and Mysticism?
3. What are Rand's thoughts on human error?
4. Explain Rand's idea of the four considerations of a rational man's thought and their function.
5. In "Isn't Everyone Selfish?", how does Branden describe the process upon which men act in their own self interest?
6. How might society commonly define compromise?
7. What does Ayn Rand believe happens in the process of a compromise?
8. According to Nathaniel Branden, why is mental health needed for human life and survival?
9. According to Branden's essay, "The Psychology of Pleasure," how are a person's individual pleasures determined?
10. What is Ayn Rand's overall attempt in the writing of her essay, "The Cult of Moral Grayness?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ayn Rand mentions socialism and her feelings towards it throughout her essays. What is socialism? Why is Rand against it? Do you see any potential benefits of a socialist society?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Rand's reasoning for considering the irrationality of philosophy and philosophers.
Essay Topic 3
Nathaniel Branden claims that moralists and mystics contribute to the destruction of one's mental health. Explain his reasoning on this topic, regarding how morality and mysticism are directly related to one's mental health. Cite examples from the text to support your response.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)