Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Complete the quote: "_____ is a desire experienced by a person who does not know and does not care to discover its cause."
2. What country is Ayn Rand originally from?
3. At the conclusion of Rand's essay on the Objectivist ethics, what does she state is the standard value for the Objectivist?
4. According to Rand, what term is used to describe a method in which one refuses to base his or her interests on context?
5. According to Rand, what is the vessel in which the government seizes property and goods of the individual?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rand describe the acts of good will committed by an altruist?
2. What is Ayn Rand's definition of judgment?
3. What does Rand consider to be the source of rights and how does she describe the origin?
4. Explain the idea of "Collectivized Rights" as Rand describes.
5. Describe what Rand states in "The Objectivist Ethics" that philosophers and scientists have never been able to do?
6. How must an individual justify his/her action, as stated by Nathaniel Branden in his essay, "Counterfeit Individualism?"
7. Why is Ayn Rand so against compromise?
8. What is the focus of the essay, "The Monument Builders?"
9. How does Louis XIV fit into Ayn Rand's discussion in her essay, "The Monument Builders?"
10. How does altruism fit into Branden's essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
Essay Topic 1
Is it racist to think in terms of black and white? What are the similarities between racism and thinking in terms of black and white? What are the major differences? What does Rand say about each?
Essay Topic 2
From what you know of Rand and her relationship with Branden, is it possible for a person to care for other human beings without violating the theory of Objectivism? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Ayn Rand's philosophy on Objectivism as stated in her essay on objectivist ethics. What are the main ideas of Objectivist ethics?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)