|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish the statement: According to Rand, " One must _____, and prepare to be _______."
2. In what year did Branden write his essay, "Mental Health versus Mysticism and Self-Sacrifice?"
3. According to Rand, what type of principles have ruled Western Society for years?
4. What is necessary for the existence of self-esteem according to Branden?
5. How does Western Society deem moral judgment?
Short Essay Questions
1. How might society commonly define compromise?
2. According to Branden's essay, "The Psychology of Pleasure," how are a person's individual pleasures determined?
3. What is Ayn Rand's overall attempt in the writing of her essay, "The Cult of Moral Grayness?"
4. What does Ayn Rand believe happens in the process of a compromise?
5. What does Rand say about an act of good will in the case of an emergency?
6. In "Isn't Everyone Selfish?", how does Branden describe the process upon which men act in their own self interest?
7. According to Nathaniel Branden, why do mystics decree pride as an evil?
8. What would Rand say about a person who searches for the good in some situations but does "the wrong thing" by mistake?
9. In Rand's essay, "Doesn't Life Require Compromise?", what does she claim is synonymous with compromise?
10. What are Branden's thoughts on anxiety and guilt as stated in his essay regarding Mental Health and Mysticism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is it racist to think in terms of black and white? What are the similarities between racism and thinking in terms of black and white? What are the major differences? What does Rand say about each?
Essay Topic 2
Ayn Rand mentions socialism and her feelings towards it throughout her essays. What is socialism? Why is Rand against it? Do you see any potential benefits of a socialist society?
Essay Topic 3
Using Rand's objectivist theory, explain why it is rational to aid others in an emergency situation. How does this differ from Rand's belief about helping others in a situation which is not considered an emergency?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)