Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Complete the quote: "_____ is a desire experienced by a person who does not know and does not care to discover its cause."
2. What country is Ayn Rand originally from?
3. At the conclusion of Rand's essay on the Objectivist ethics, what does she state is the standard value for the Objectivist?
4. According to Rand, what term is used to describe a method in which one refuses to base his or her interests on context?
5. According to Rand, what is the vessel in which the government seizes property and goods of the individual?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rand describe the acts of good will committed by an altruist?
2. What is Ayn Rand's definition of judgment?
3. What does Rand consider to be the source of rights and how does she describe the origin?
4. Explain the idea of "Collectivized Rights" as Rand describes.
5. Describe what Rand states in "The Objectivist Ethics" that philosophers and scientists have never been able to do?
6. How must an individual justify his/her action, as stated by Nathaniel Branden in his essay, "Counterfeit Individualism?"
7. Why is Ayn Rand so against compromise?
8. What is the focus of the essay, "The Monument Builders?"
9. How does Louis XIV fit into Ayn Rand's discussion in her essay, "The Monument Builders?"
10. How does altruism fit into Branden's essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
Essay Topic 1
What are the reasons Rand gives about why it is beneficial to live within a society? Does her reasoning conflict with objectivist thought?
Essay Topic 2
Explain what the term "rational morality" means in regard to Ayn Rand's theory of Objectivism.
Essay Topic 3
Nathaniel Branden claims that moralists and mystics contribute to the destruction of one's mental health. Explain his reasoning on this topic, regarding how morality and mysticism are directly related to one's mental health. Cite examples from the text to support your response.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)