|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Branden's essay on "The Psychology of Pleasure" he lists five avenues upon which ________ people find pleasure.
2. What does Rand claim is not a valid standard of value in her essay on "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests?"
3. In what year was "The Ethics of Emergencies" written?
4. Complete the sentence: In order to act in self interest, man must refuse to sacrifice a ________ value for a _______ one.
5. Which of the following areas is Nathaniel Branden's area of expertise?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ayn Rand's overall attempt in the writing of her essay, "The Cult of Moral Grayness?"
2. What are Branden's thoughts on anxiety and guilt as stated in his essay regarding Mental Health and Mysticism?
3. In "Isn't Everyone Selfish?", how does Branden describe the process upon which men act in their own self interest?
4. Describe what Rand states in "The Objectivist Ethics" that philosophers and scientists have never been able to do?
5. What does Rand say about the definition of society in her essay "The Objectivist Ethics?"
6. What is Ayn Rand's definition of judgment?
7. Explain Rand's idea of the four considerations of a rational man's thought and their function.
8. In Rand's essay, "Doesn't Life Require Compromise?", what does she claim is synonymous with compromise?
9. What is context-dropping, and who uses it?
10. How does Rand define "context" in her explanation of the four considerations described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nathaniel Branden claims that moralists and mystics contribute to the destruction of one's mental health. Explain his reasoning on this topic, regarding how morality and mysticism are directly related to one's mental health. Cite examples from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Ayn Rand mentions socialism and her feelings towards it throughout her essays. What is socialism? Why is Rand against it? Do you see any potential benefits of a socialist society?
Essay Topic 3
Using Rand's objectivist theory, explain why it is rational to aid others in an emergency situation. How does this differ from Rand's belief about helping others in a situation which is not considered an emergency?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)