|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rand believe the nature of the human mind to be?
2. Which fictional character from "Atlas Shrugged" does Ayn Rand constantly refer to in order to explain her Objectivist theory?
3. Which philosopher does Rand mention in her essay on "The Objectivist Ethics?"
4. According to Rand, what are ideas of mysticism and morality based upon?
5. What does Rand claim is not a valid standard of value in her essay on "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How might one find pleasure in doing productive work?
2. How might society commonly define compromise?
3. According to Branden's essay, "The Psychology of Pleasure," how are a person's individual pleasures determined?
4. Why does Rand reject the widely accepted views of morals and values in regard to human existence?
5. What does Rand mean when she states that one must not achieve her own interests by her own efforts only and not at the expense of others?
6. According to Nathaniel Branden, why is mental health needed for human life and survival?
7. In "Isn't Everyone Selfish?", how does Branden describe the process upon which men act in their own self interest?
8. Explain the point Branden asserts at the beginning of "The Psychology of Pleasure."
9. What is context-dropping, and who uses it?
10. How does Rand describe the acts of good will committed by an altruist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Rand's essay on "The Monument Builders," Rand challenges and rejects the socialist movement. What does Rand dislike about the socialist movement? What is the significance of the title?
Essay Topic 2
Explain self-interest and its connection to reason as well as in terms of the choices one may make when motivated by self-interest.
Essay Topic 3
What does it mean that someone should not attempt to further oneself at the expense of another? Cite some examples.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)