|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ayn Rand's last work of fiction?
2. What is it impossible to pursue in a "non-free" society?
3. In what year did Branden write his essay, "Mental Health versus Mysticism and Self-Sacrifice?"
4. Which of the following is not included in the events of an emergency according to Rand's essay on "The Ethics of Emergencies"?
5. From the objectivist perspective, what should the risk on committing an act of good will be proportionate to?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Branden's essay, "The Psychology of Pleasure," how are a person's individual pleasures determined?
2. What is Ayn Rand's overall attempt in the writing of her essay, "The Cult of Moral Grayness?"
3. How does Louis XIV fit into Ayn Rand's discussion in her essay, "The Monument Builders?"
4. Does Ayn Rand believe that a society must devise a moral code? How should a society decide upon a moral code?
5. How does Ayn Rand believe that a government should finance itself in a free society?
6. Explain Rand's idea of the four considerations of a rational man's thought and their function.
7. How might one find pleasure in doing productive work?
8. How do people falsely define Individualism, as stated by Nathaniel Branden?
9. What would Rand say about a person who searches for the good in some situations but does "the wrong thing" by mistake?
10. Explain why Ayn Rand is against collectivized ethics.
Essay Topic 1
How does Ayn Rand feel a government should finance itself? What are some potential problems with Rand's proposal?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Rand's reasoning for considering the irrationality of philosophy and philosophers.
Essay Topic 3
What are Rand's thoughts on American society and government? What are the benefits that Rand cites throughout her works?
This section contains 1,361 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)