|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Rand, what are the notions of altruist thought perpetuated by?
2. To be selfish is not simply to act on the basis of a __________.
3. How does Rand define "society" in a basic sense?
4. According to Rand, what does an act of good will require in the eyes of an altruist?
5. What word does Rand state that philosophers substitute for God?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rand describe the acts of good will committed by an altruist?
2. What are Branden's ideas of self-sacrifice regarding mental health?
3. According to Nathaniel Branden, why is mental health needed for human life and survival?
4. What are Rand's thoughts on human error?
5. According to Branden's essay, "The Psychology of Pleasure," how are a person's individual pleasures determined?
6. What is context-dropping, and who uses it?
7. How does altruism fit into Branden's essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
8. What does Rand say about the definition of society in her essay "The Objectivist Ethics?"
9. According to Nathaniel Branden, why do mystics decree pride as an evil?
10. According to Rand, how must people evaluate their own rational self interest in a given situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain self-interest and its connection to reason as well as in terms of the choices one may make when motivated by self-interest.
Essay Topic 2
From what you know of Rand and her relationship with Branden, is it possible for a person to care for other human beings without violating the theory of Objectivism? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Is it racist to think in terms of black and white? What are the similarities between racism and thinking in terms of black and white? What are the major differences? What does Rand say about each?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)