|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Greek philosopher is mentioned once within the book?
2. What does Rand claim about the existence of compromise?
3. What is it impossible to pursue in a "non-free" society?
4. At the conclusion of Rand's essay on the Objectivist ethics, what does she state is the standard value for the Objectivist?
5. Which fictional character from "Atlas Shrugged" does Ayn Rand constantly refer to in order to explain her Objectivist theory?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rand mean when she states that one must not achieve her own interests by her own efforts only and not at the expense of others?
2. How does altruism fit into Branden's essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
3. What is context-dropping, and who uses it?
4. Explain the point Branden asserts at the beginning of "The Psychology of Pleasure."
5. What is Ayn Rand's definition of judgment?
6. What are Branden's ideas of self-sacrifice regarding mental health?
7. According to Rand, how must people evaluate their own rational self interest in a given situation?
8. According to Nathaniel Branden, why is mental health needed for human life and survival?
9. What is Branden's purpose in writing the essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
10. How does Rand describe the objectivist's act of good will?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Ayn Rand's philosophy on Objectivism as stated in her essay on objectivist ethics. What are the main ideas of Objectivist ethics?
Essay Topic 2
Ayn Rand mentions socialism and her feelings towards it throughout her essays. What is socialism? Why is Rand against it? Do you see any potential benefits of a socialist society?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Rand's reasoning for considering the irrationality of philosophy and philosophers.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)