|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Rand, compromise is similar to what?
(a) Common ground.
2. What does Rand claim is not a valid standard of value in her essay on "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests?"
3. According to Branden, what determines a person's individual pleasures?
4. In which publication did "The Virtue of Selfishness" first appear?
(a) The Journal of Behavioral Psychology.
(b) The Times.
(c) The Objectivist Newsletter.
(d) The Objectivist Quarterly.
5. Which of the following is not examined by Rand within "The Virtue of Selfishness?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of scheme does Branden's essay on Mental Health versus Mysticism attempt to illustrate?
2. The function of pleasure is to give a man his own sense of what?
3. Rand clarifies her point about compromise when she asks the question about the compromise ______ and _______ along with the question of reason versus irrationality.
4. Which of the following vocabulary words were not defined in Branden's essay on Mental Health versus Mysticism?
5. Which of the following does not fall into the category of what Branden would consider a proper avenue for seeking pleasure?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does altruism fit into Branden's essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
2. In Rand's essay, "Doesn't Life Require Compromise?", what does she claim is synonymous with compromise?
3. What commonly upheld principle does Rand deem evil in Western Society as stated in her essay on living a rational life?
4. What are Branden's ideas of self-sacrifice regarding mental health?
5. Explain the point Branden asserts at the beginning of "The Psychology of Pleasure."
6. According to Branden's essay, "The Psychology of Pleasure," how are a person's individual pleasures determined?
7. What is Branden's purpose in writing the essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
8. According to Nathaniel Branden, why do mystics decree pride as an evil?
9. How might society commonly define compromise?
10. What is the answer to the question, "How does One Lead a Rational Life in an Irrational Society?"
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)