|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Rand, what are ideas of mysticism and morality based upon?
2. In which publication did "The Virtue of Selfishness" first appear?
(a) The Times.
(b) The Objectivist Quarterly.
(c) The Objectivist Newsletter.
(d) The Journal of Behavioral Psychology.
3. What does Rand claim that Objectivists ethics are in the essay on Objectivist ethics?
(a) Relgious elixir.
(b) True morality.
(c) Basic morality.
(d) Only morality.
4. According to Rand, every interest that a person employs must be based in ________.
(c) Careful consideration.
5. According to Branden, which word is intellectually confused with "selfishness?"
(a) Self amorous.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not included in the hierarchy Rand gives in the objectivist evaluation of committing an act of good will?
2. What basis are you acting on If you audition for a Broadway show, you are a poor singer, but you have always have wanted to sing?
3. Who is Nathaniel Branden in the context of this collection?
4. Complete the quote: "_____ is a desire experienced by a person who does not know and does not care to discover its cause."
5. Which fictional character from "Atlas Shrugged" does Ayn Rand constantly refer to in order to explain her Objectivist theory?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ayn Rand believe happens in the process of a compromise?
2. How does Rand define "context" in her explanation of the four considerations described?
3. In Rand's essay, "Doesn't Life Require Compromise?", what does she claim is synonymous with compromise?
4. How does Rand describe the objectivist's act of good will?
5. What is Branden's purpose in writing the essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
6. How does Rand describe the acts of good will committed by an altruist?
7. What is context-dropping, and who uses it?
8. Why does Rand reject the widely accepted views of morals and values in regard to human existence?
9. Explain the point Branden asserts at the beginning of "The Psychology of Pleasure."
10. What does Rand say about the definition of society in her essay "The Objectivist Ethics?"
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)