|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Branden's essay on "The Psychology of Pleasure" he lists five avenues upon which ________ people find pleasure.
2. Who created "good" and evil" according to Rand?
(a) Church Fathers.
(d) Various religions.
3. What does Rand claim about the existence of compromise?
(a) That it paves the way toward human reason.
(b) That there is no compromise.
(c) That it can only exist with very rational people.
(d) That it is possible.
4. What word does Rand use in "The Cult of Moral Grayness" to describe the common trend for people to believe there are not "blacks" and "whites," only grays?
5. What is necessary for the existence of self-esteem according to Branden?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Rand, what is the vessel in which the government seizes property and goods of the individual?
2. Finish this argument as Rand presents it: X is ___________; therefore, his argument is false.
3. What is a person considered to be who attempts to find the morally good in a given situation but acts incorrectly by honest mistake?
4. What type of need does "mental health" fall under?
5. According to Rand, what does an act of good will require in the eyes of an altruist?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Branden's purpose in writing the essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
2. According to Nathaniel Branden, why do mystics decree pride as an evil?
3. What would Rand say about a person who searches for the good in some situations but does "the wrong thing" by mistake?
4. What does Rand mean when she states that one must not achieve her own interests by her own efforts only and not at the expense of others?
5. What commonly upheld principle does Rand deem evil in Western Society as stated in her essay on living a rational life?
6. What does Ayn Rand believe happens in the process of a compromise?
7. How might society commonly define compromise?
8. What does Rand say about an act of good will in the case of an emergency?
9. How does Rand describe the objectivist's act of good will?
10. What is Ayn Rand's overall attempt in the writing of her essay, "The Cult of Moral Grayness?"
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)