|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rand claim that Objectivists ethics are in the essay on Objectivist ethics?
(a) Basic morality.
(b) Relgious elixir.
(c) True morality.
(d) Only morality.
2. Which instinct does self-sacrifice directly contradict?
3. Which of the following vocabulary words were not defined in Branden's essay on Mental Health versus Mysticism?
4. According to Branden, "The Psychology of Pleasure," how many major avenues are there for one to seek pleasure?
5. According to Branden, what determines a person's individual pleasures?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Nathaniel Branden, what word is intellectually confused with "self-sacrifice?"
2. What word does Rand use in "The Cult of Moral Grayness" to describe the common trend for people to believe there are not "blacks" and "whites," only grays?
3. What is necessary for the existence of self-esteem according to Branden?
4. Rand defends her points by stating her belief that the mainstream practice of ethics goes against the reality of _________.
5. From the altruist perspective, saving the life of a stranger is equivalent to saving the life of _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Branden's purpose in writing the essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
2. What does Rand say about the definition of society in her essay "The Objectivist Ethics?"
3. What would Rand say about a person who searches for the good in some situations but does "the wrong thing" by mistake?
4. According to Branden's essay, "The Psychology of Pleasure," how are a person's individual pleasures determined?
5. What is Ayn Rand's overall attempt in the writing of her essay, "The Cult of Moral Grayness?"
6. What does Rand mean when she discusses the "cult of moral grayness?"
7. Explain Rand's idea of the four considerations of a rational man's thought and their function.
8. In Rand's essay, "Doesn't Life Require Compromise?", what does she claim is synonymous with compromise?
9. How does altruism fit into Branden's essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
10. According to Nathaniel Branden, why do mystics decree pride as an evil?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)