|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the two things Branden claims that perpetuate within society and threaten self-esteem?
(a) Belief and guilt.
(b) Anxiety and frivolity.
(c) Reason and control.
(d) Anxiety and guilt.
2. In what year did Ayn Rand write, "How Does One Lead a Rational Life in an Irrational Society?"
3. Who created "good" and evil" according to Rand?
(a) Various religions.
(c) Church Fathers.
4. What does Branden identify as being referred to as an "evil" by Mystics?
5. Which fictional character from "Atlas Shrugged" does Ayn Rand constantly refer to in order to explain her Objectivist theory?
(a) John Galt.
(b) Peter Keating.
(c) Howard Roark.
(d) Nathanial Branden.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Rand, every interest that a person employs must be based in ________.
2. What book did Rand write to illustrate her objectivist views by setting up a scenario where the characters protest against collectivist ideals?
3. What does Rand claim is not a valid standard of value in her essay on "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests?"
4. According to "Isn't Everyone Selfish?", one must ask which question about the desired action?
5. What year did Ayn Rand write the essay, "The Cult of Moral Grayness?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Branden's ideas of self-sacrifice regarding mental health?
2. What is faulty about the notion that everyone is selfish?
3. Describe what Rand states in "The Objectivist Ethics" that philosophers and scientists have never been able to do?
4. What are Rand's thoughts on human error?
5. In "Isn't Everyone Selfish?", how does Branden describe the process upon which men act in their own self interest?
6. According to Nathaniel Branden, why is mental health needed for human life and survival?
7. How must one first begin to identify what is gray, according to Ayn Rand?
8. How might one find pleasure in doing productive work?
9. What is Ayn Rand's overall attempt in the writing of her essay, "The Cult of Moral Grayness?"
10. According to Nathaniel Branden, why do mystics decree pride as an evil?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)