|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Branden states in his essay, "The Psychology of Pleasure" that pleasure is not a _________, but a psychological need.
2. According to Rand, what are ideas of mysticism and morality based upon?
3. To be selfish is not simply to act on the basis of a __________.
4. Rand clarifies her point about compromise when she asks the question about the compromise ______ and _______ along with the question of reason versus irrationality.
(a) Health, illness.
(b) Morality, mysticism.
(c) Life, death.
(d) Happiness, sadness.
5. In the act of conceding one's own reason in favor of another's, one commits an act of ______________.
(b) Self destruction.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the conclusion of Rand's essay on the Objectivist ethics, what does she state is the standard value for the Objectivist?
2. What word does Rand use in "The Cult of Moral Grayness" to describe the common trend for people to believe there are not "blacks" and "whites," only grays?
3. According to Rand, what is the vessel in which the government seizes property and goods of the individual?
4. According to Rand, what people define the standards for "good" in a society?
5. How does Rand define "society" in a basic sense?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Nathaniel Branden, why do mystics decree pride as an evil?
2. Describe what Rand states in "The Objectivist Ethics" that philosophers and scientists have never been able to do?
3. According to Nathaniel Branden, why is mental health needed for human life and survival?
4. How does Rand define "context" in her explanation of the four considerations described?
5. What would Rand say about a person who searches for the good in some situations but does "the wrong thing" by mistake?
6. What does Rand mean when she states that one must not achieve her own interests by her own efforts only and not at the expense of others?
7. How might one find pleasure in doing productive work?
8. What does Rand say about an act of good will in the case of an emergency?
9. In "Isn't Everyone Selfish?", how does Branden describe the process upon which men act in their own self interest?
10. How must one first begin to identify what is gray, according to Ayn Rand?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)