|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Rand, what does an act of good will require in the eyes of an altruist?
2. According to Branden, what do values in the context of ethics guide?
(a) A man's actions and choices.
(b) A man's choice only.
(c) A man's actions only.
(d) A man's life.
3. What word does Rand state that philosophers substitute for God?
(b) The Church.
4. What year did Nathaniel Branden write his essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
5. In which year was "Doesn't Life Require Compromise?" written?
Short Answer Questions
1. Ayn Rand defines value as something that a person believes is necessary to do what?
2. Rand defends her points by stating her belief that the mainstream practice of ethics goes against the reality of _________.
3. According to Rand, a person who does not attempt to define what is right or wrong in a given situation, and acts as a mixture of the two is morally what?
4. What does Rand claim that Objectivists ethics are in the essay on Objectivist ethics?
5. Which German philosopher does Rand oppose within her own philosophical theory?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does altruism fit into Branden's essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
2. According to Nathaniel Branden, why is mental health needed for human life and survival?
3. In "Isn't Everyone Selfish?", how does Branden describe the process upon which men act in their own self interest?
4. What is Ayn Rand's overall attempt in the writing of her essay, "The Cult of Moral Grayness?"
5. Explain the point Branden asserts at the beginning of "The Psychology of Pleasure."
6. What would Rand say about a person who searches for the good in some situations but does "the wrong thing" by mistake?
7. How must one first begin to identify what is gray, according to Ayn Rand?
8. How does Rand describe the acts of good will committed by an altruist?
9. What is faulty about the notion that everyone is selfish?
10. What does Rand say about an act of good will in the case of an emergency?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)