|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Rand, compromise is synonymous with relinquishing one's ____________.
(b) Self interest.
2. What must the goals one chooses to pursue be in order to be a rational thinker?
3. What country is Ayn Rand originally from?
(c) The United States.
(d) The United Kingdom.
4. Who is Nathaniel Branden in the context of this collection?
(a) Rand's associate.
(b) Rand's favorite writer.
(c) The creator of Objectivism.
(d) Rand's husband.
5. Which of the following is included in the four considerations of man's view of rationality that Rand describes?
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Rand state that philosophers substitute for God?
2. Which fictional character from "Atlas Shrugged" does Ayn Rand constantly refer to in order to explain her Objectivist theory?
3. What basis are you acting on if you audition for a Broadway show, after wanting to become a singer, you are an extremely competent singer, and you have performed on stage before?
4. What is a person considered to be who attempts to find the morally good in a given situation but acts incorrectly by honest mistake?
5. In Branden's essay on "The Psychology of Pleasure" he lists five avenues upon which ________ people find pleasure.
Short Essay Questions
1. How must one first begin to identify what is gray, according to Ayn Rand?
2. What does Rand mean when she discusses the "cult of moral grayness?"
3. According to Rand, how must people evaluate their own rational self interest in a given situation?
4. What is Ayn Rand's overall attempt in the writing of her essay, "The Cult of Moral Grayness?"
5. What is context-dropping, and who uses it?
6. Why does Rand reject the widely accepted views of morals and values in regard to human existence?
7. What is faulty about the notion that everyone is selfish?
8. In "Isn't Everyone Selfish?", how does Branden describe the process upon which men act in their own self interest?
9. Explain Rand's idea of the four considerations of a rational man's thought and their function.
10. Explain the point Branden asserts at the beginning of "The Psychology of Pleasure."
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)