|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Branden's notion of pleasure being a psychological need also fits into which of his other notions?
(c) Mental health.
2. Which of the following is not included in the hierarchy Rand gives in the objectivist evaluation of committing an act of good will?
3. Although Rand does not support altruistic belief, she does not ______against it.
4. Complete the sentence: In order to act in self interest, man must refuse to sacrifice a ________ value for a _______ one.
(a) Worse, better.
(b) Better, worse.
(c) Higher, lower.
(d) Lower, higher.
5. What basis are you acting on if you audition for a Broadway show, after wanting to become a singer, you are an extremely competent singer, and you have performed on stage before?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Rand's essay on "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests," what are the two ways she claims that goals can be met?
2. In the act of conceding one's own reason in favor of another's, one commits an act of ______________.
3. Which of the following vocabulary words were not defined in Branden's essay on Mental Health versus Mysticism?
4. According to "Isn't Everyone Selfish?", one must ask which question about the desired action?
5. What does Branden identify as being referred to as an "evil" by Mystics?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rand say about the definition of society in her essay "The Objectivist Ethics?"
2. How do people falsely define Individualism, as stated by Nathaniel Branden?
3. According to Rand, how must people evaluate their own rational self interest in a given situation?
4. What does Ayn Rand believe happens in the process of a compromise?
5. What does Rand say about an act of good will in the case of an emergency?
6. What is the focus of the essay, "The Monument Builders?"
7. What commonly upheld principle does Rand deem evil in Western Society as stated in her essay on living a rational life?
8. How must one first begin to identify what is gray, according to Ayn Rand?
9. What is context-dropping, and who uses it?
10. What are Branden's thoughts on anxiety and guilt as stated in his essay regarding Mental Health and Mysticism?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)