Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Complete the quote: "_____ is a desire experienced by a person who does not know and does not care to discover its cause."
2. What country is Ayn Rand originally from?
(b) The United Kingdom.
(d) The United States.
3. At the conclusion of Rand's essay on the Objectivist ethics, what does she state is the standard value for the Objectivist?
(a) Man's life.
(b) The development of the world.
(c) The creation of offspring.
(d) The society.
4. According to Rand, what term is used to describe a method in which one refuses to base his or her interests on context?
(c) Elimination of context.
(d) A drop-key.
5. According to Rand, what is the vessel in which the government seizes property and goods of the individual?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rand claim is not a valid standard of value in her essay on "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests?"
2. Branden states in his essay, "The Psychology of Pleasure" that pleasure is not a _________, but a psychological need.
3. Ayn Rand defines value as something that a person believes is necessary to do what?
4. In what year did Branden write his essay, "Mental Health versus Mysticism and Self-Sacrifice?"
5. Which of the following is not examined by Rand within "The Virtue of Selfishness?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rand describe the acts of good will committed by an altruist?
2. What is Ayn Rand's definition of judgment?
3. What does Rand consider to be the source of rights and how does she describe the origin?
4. Explain the idea of "Collectivized Rights" as Rand describes.
5. Describe what Rand states in "The Objectivist Ethics" that philosophers and scientists have never been able to do?
6. How must an individual justify his/her action, as stated by Nathaniel Branden in his essay, "Counterfeit Individualism?"
7. Why is Ayn Rand so against compromise?
8. What is the focus of the essay, "The Monument Builders?"
9. How does Louis XIV fit into Ayn Rand's discussion in her essay, "The Monument Builders?"
10. How does altruism fit into Branden's essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)