|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Complete the sentence: In order to act in self interest, man must refuse to sacrifice a ________ value for a _______ one.
(a) Lower, higher.
(b) Worse, better.
(c) Higher, lower.
(d) Better, worse.
2. What must one have before being able to find meaningful relationships with others?
(a) Self interest.
(b) Self worth.
3. Who is the noble, true, infallible judge in Western society, according to Rand?
(a) The President.
(b) Jesus Christ.
(c) Religious leaders.
4. Which of the following is not included in the events of an emergency according to Rand's essay on "The Ethics of Emergencies"?
(d) Car accident.
5. Finish the statement: According to Rand, " One must _____, and prepare to be _______."
(a) Judge, judged.
(b) Act, questioned.
(c) Love, loved.
(d) Act, judged.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Branden identify as being referred to as an "evil" by Mystics?
2. According to Ayn Rand, human error is _______________.
3. Complete the quote: "_____ is a desire experienced by a person who does not know and does not care to discover its cause."
4. Which Greek philosopher is mentioned once within the book?
5. What is a person considered to be who attempts to find the morally good in a given situation but acts incorrectly by honest mistake?
Short Essay Questions
1. How might society commonly define compromise?
2. How do people falsely define Individualism, as stated by Nathaniel Branden?
3. What type of projects does the principle of "collectivized ethics" support, and by which means are those tasks carried out? Explain.
4. What would Rand say about a person who searches for the good in some situations but does "the wrong thing" by mistake?
5. How must one first begin to identify what is gray, according to Ayn Rand?
6. Explain Rand's idea of the four considerations of a rational man's thought and their function.
7. How does Ayn Rand describe "Socialism" in her essay, "The Monument Builders?"
8. What is Branden's purpose in writing the essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
9. Explain the notion of "collectivized ethics" as mentioned in Ayn Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics."
10. According to Branden's essay, "The Psychology of Pleasure," how are a person's individual pleasures determined?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)