|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which year was the essay, "Government Financing in a Free Society" published?
2. Which form of government imposes laws of force and denies its citizens natural rights?
(a) Free nation.
3. According to Ayn Rand, on what basis must the individual give to public works?
4. Which major historical event ended just two decades before the essay, "The Monument Builders" was written?
(a) The Korean Conflict.
(b) World War I.
(c) The Cold War.
(d) World War II.
5. Which political system does Rand mention in "Collectivized Ethics," where she states men are free to produce and compete?
6. According to Ayn Rand, this is the only time physical force is warranted.
(a) Crime of passion.
(c) Government mandates.
(d) Self defense.
7. Which country is said to have inspired Ayn Rand's objectivist theory, and caused her to reject all forms of collectivized government?
(a) The United States.
(b) Nazi Germany.
(c) Soviet Russia.
8. Which term is defined as "a manifestation of helplessness, of self-loathing and of the desire for the unearned?"
(a) Power lust.
(b) Self affliction.
(c) Self preservation.
(d) Power planning.
9. In which year was Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics," published?
10. Which monarch erected the palace of Versailles, as stated in Rand's essay "The Monument Builders?"
(a) Louis XVII.
(d) Louis XIV.
11. What does Rand blame on the notion that causes men to feel inferior?
12. Rand states that the alleged goal of socialism was to end ________.
13. According to Rand, what do humans need if they are to live in a society?
(a) Total Freedom.
14. In Rand's essay, "Man's Rights," she describes several societies that exhibited a collectivist system. Which society is not included?
(a) Ancient Greece.
(b) Roman Empire.
(c) Ancient Egypt.
(d) Ottoman Empire.
15. What is "an institution that holds exclusive power to enforce certain rules for social conduct in a given geographical area?"
(b) Code of conduct.
Short Answer Questions
1. The notion that many people define individualism as the action of not conforming to the standard actions or ideas of the group is _________.
2. In which year was the essay, "The Divine Right of Stagnation," written?
3. According to Rand, a nation has only the right to __________ of its individual citizens.
4. Rand describes that socialism can be practiced totally or partially. Which country does she use as an example of a partial socialist government?
5. Denying an individual his right to property is synonymous with denying him his right to _______.
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)