|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which country is said to have inspired Ayn Rand's objectivist theory, and caused her to reject all forms of collectivized government?
(a) The United States.
(b) Soviet Russia.
(c) Nazi Germany.
2. What method does Rand give for implementing her government financing plan?
(b) Lottery basis.
(c) Taxation of those who make more than a specified amount.
3. Which political system does Rand mention in "Collectivized Ethics," where she states men are free to produce and compete?
4. Rand describes that socialism can be practiced totally or partially. Which country does she use as an example of a partial socialist government?
(c) Nazi Germany.
5. In Rand's essay, "The Monument Builders," what is the Moscow subway lined with?
6. In which year was Branden's essay, "Counterfeit Individualism" written?
7. What is "an institution that holds exclusive power to enforce certain rules for social conduct in a given geographical area?"
(d) Code of conduct.
8. What political system is characterized by private or corporate ownership of property?
9. Which country does Rand seek refuge after fleeing Soviet Russia?
(d) The United States.
10. Historically, what did socialist economic planning come about as a reaction to?
11. What does Rand blame on the notion that causes men to feel inferior?
12. Rand does not believe in public projects because the public project does not benefit whom?
(a) Some individuals.
(b) Every individual.
13. Which term is defined as "a manifestation of helplessness, of self-loathing and of the desire for the unearned?"
(a) Self affliction.
(b) Power lust.
(c) Power planning.
(d) Self preservation.
14. According to Rand, a nation has only the right to __________ of its individual citizens.
(a) Revoke the rights.
(b) Create the rights.
(c) Protect the rights.
(d) Decide the rights.
15. What political system punishes irrationality and rewards rational thought?
Short Answer Questions
1. In which year was Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics," published?
2. According to Ayn Rand, this is the only time physical force is warranted.
3. The notion that many people define individualism as the action of not conforming to the standard actions or ideas of the group is _________.
4. Which American group does Rand attack in her essay, "Collectivized Ethics?"
5. Which country established a socialist system by force?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)