|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The notion that many people define individualism as the action of not conforming to the standard actions or ideas of the group is _________.
2. What are the two benefits one can gain from living a social existence?
(a) Knowledge and happiness.
(b) Happiness and trade.
(c) Knowledge and trade.
(d) Supply and demand.
3. According to Ayn Rand, this is the only time physical force is warranted.
(b) Self defense.
(c) Government mandates.
(d) Crime of passion.
4. Which political system does Rand mention in "Collectivized Ethics," where she states men are free to produce and compete?
5. Finish the quotation: "Individual rights are the means of subordinating ________ to moral law."
(d) The individual.
6. According to Ayn Rand, on what basis must the individual give to public works?
7. Which country established a socialist system by vote?
(a) The United States.
(c) Nazi Germany.
(d) Soviet Russia.
8. Rand states in her essay, "Government Financing in a Free Society," that her proposal for government financing is ________ in practice.
(b) Not difficult.
(d) Not easy.
9. Which American group does Rand attack in her essay, "Collectivized Ethics?"
(a) 1960s Liberals.
10. In which political system does the government own all societal goods and provide the people with what they need?
11. In which year was the essay, "Government Financing in a Free Society" published?
12. According to Ayn Rand, the major problem of socialism is the denial of what type of rights?
13. Rand does not believe in public projects because the public project does not benefit whom?
(b) Every individual.
(c) Some individuals.
14. Which of the following is not considered a public project?
(a) A local coffee shop.
(b) Public health care.
(c) Public parks.
15. Rand believes that the socialist theory as a whole is _______.
(b) Morally correct.
(c) Honorably intended.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which country established a socialist system by force?
2. Historically, what did socialist economic planning come about as a reaction to?
3. What type of government financing does Ayn Rand propose in her essay, "Government Financing in a Free Society?"
4. Which country is said to have inspired Ayn Rand's objectivist theory, and caused her to reject all forms of collectivized government?
5. In Rand's essay, "Man's Rights," she describes a right as the freedom of _______.
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)