|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which form of government imposes laws of force and denies its citizens natural rights?
(a) Free nation.
2. What type of government financing does Ayn Rand propose in her essay, "Government Financing in a Free Society?"
(a) Voluntary taxation.
(b) Mandatory taxation.
(c) Dependent financing.
(d) Independent financing.
3. Which term is defined as "a manifestation of helplessness, of self-loathing and of the desire for the unearned?"
(a) Self preservation.
(b) Self affliction.
(c) Power lust.
(d) Power planning.
4. In which year was the essay, "The Monument Builders," published?
5. What does Rand blame on the notion that causes men to feel inferior?
6. According to Rand, what is defined as conducting one's life according to the divinity of nonexistent beings?
7. Historically, what did socialist economic planning come about as a reaction to?
8. According to Rand, a nation has only the right to __________ of its individual citizens.
(a) Revoke the rights.
(b) Protect the rights.
(c) Decide the rights.
(d) Create the rights.
9. Finish the sentence: Humans should think and judge __________, valuing their own intellect above all else.
10. Which country established a socialist system by force?
(a) Soviet Russia.
(c) The United States.
(d) Nazi Germany.
11. According to Rand, what do humans need if they are to live in a society?
(c) Total Freedom.
12. What are the two benefits one can gain from living a social existence?
(a) Supply and demand.
(b) Happiness and trade.
(c) Knowledge and happiness.
(d) Knowledge and trade.
13. In which year was Branden's essay, "Counterfeit Individualism" written?
14. What political system is characterized by private or corporate ownership of property?
15. According to Ayn Rand, on what basis must the individual give to public works?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which major historical event ended just two decades before the essay, "The Monument Builders" was written?
2. Rand believes that the socialist theory as a whole is _______.
3. In Rand's essay, "The Monument Builders," what is the Moscow subway lined with?
4. In which political system does the government own all societal goods and provide the people with what they need?
5. According to Rand, what is the only way that individuals' rights can be violated?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)