|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rand states that the alleged goal of socialism was to end ________.
2. In Rand's essay, "Man's Rights," she describes several societies that exhibited a collectivist system. Which society is not included?
(a) Ancient Egypt.
(b) Roman Empire.
(c) Ottoman Empire.
(d) Ancient Greece.
3. According to Ayn Rand, the major problem of socialism is the denial of what type of rights?
4. What is the extreme example Rand uses to illustrate what can go wrong in a society that doesn't uphold the rights of the individual?
(a) Nazi Germany.
(b) The United States.
(c) Soviet Russia.
5. Denying an individual his right to property is synonymous with denying him his right to _______.
6. Rand does not believe in public projects because the public project does not benefit whom?
(a) Every individual.
(d) Some individuals.
7. According to Rand, a nation has only the right to __________ of its individual citizens.
(a) Create the rights.
(b) Decide the rights.
(c) Revoke the rights.
(d) Protect the rights.
8. In which year was the essay, "Government Financing in a Free Society" published?
9. Which of the following is not in violation of human survival as stated by the objectivist principle?
10. Which form of government imposes laws of force and denies its citizens natural rights?
(a) Free nation.
11. Which political system does Rand mention in "Collectivized Ethics," where she states men are free to produce and compete?
12. The principle of collectivized ethics supposes that one must live for the benefit of what?
(a) Collective whole.
13. According to Ayn Rand, this is the only time physical force is warranted.
(b) Self defense.
(c) Government mandates.
(d) Crime of passion.
14. What does Nathaniel Branden state is a concept of ethics and politics and simultaneously a concept of ethics and psychology?
(b) Counterfeit individualism.
15. Rand vies for a political system in which public projects are not ________ society.
(a) Completed within.
(b) Forced upon.
(c) Achieved by.
(d) Created by.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which country established a socialist system by force?
2. In which year was Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics," published?
3. Rand believes that the enactment of socialism has contributed to the _______ and destruction of individuals.
4. What political system punishes irrationality and rewards rational thought?
5. In Rand's essay, "The Monument Builders," what is the Moscow subway lined with?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)