|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not included in Branden's list of avenues where people find pleasure?
2. Complete the sentence: In order to act in self interest, man must refuse to sacrifice a ________ value for a _______ one.
(a) Better, worse.
(b) Higher, lower.
(c) Worse, better.
(d) Lower, higher.
3. The function of pleasure is to give a man his own sense of what?
4. According to Rand, what does an act of good will require in the eyes of the objectivist?
5. Branden states in his essay, "The Psychology of Pleasure" that pleasure is not a _________, but a psychological need.
6. What country is Ayn Rand originally from?
(a) The United States.
(d) The United Kingdom.
7. What was Ayn Rand's last work of fiction?
(a) Atlas Shrugged.
(b) The Fountainhead.
(c) The Objectivist Ethics.
(d) The Virtue of Selfishness.
8. Who created "good" and evil" according to Rand?
(a) Church Fathers.
(d) Various religions.
9. According to Rand, what are ideas of mysticism and morality based upon?
10. According to Rand, what are the notions of altruist thought perpetuated by?
(b) Morality and mysticism.
11. What basis are you acting on If you audition for a Broadway show, you are a poor singer, but you have always have wanted to sing?
12. Which German philosopher does Rand oppose within her own philosophical theory?
13. Which Greek philosopher is mentioned once within the book?
14. Complete the sentence. A _________ person's desire for pleasure is the desire to escape reality.
15. In the act of conceding one's own reason in favor of another's, one commits an act of ______________.
(a) Self destruction.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not examined by Rand within "The Virtue of Selfishness?"
2. In Rand's essay, "How Does One Lead a Rational Life in an Irrational Society?" Rand states that people often dismiss evil around them out of what?
3. Ayn Rand defines value as something that a person believes is necessary to do what?
4. What must one have before being able to find meaningful relationships with others?
5. According to Nathaniel Branden, what word is intellectually confused with "self-sacrifice?"
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)