|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What concept is mentioned once in the book that according to Rand, largely influences collectivist, Western thought?
2. In what year was "Atlas Shrugged" published?
3. Rand states that judgment is a ______ action to commit.
4. What is it impossible to pursue in a "non-free" society?
(c) Rational interests.
(d) Total freedom.
5. Finish the statement. "A" is _________.
(b) To B as B is to C.
(c) Proportionate to Z.
(d) A in the Actual Reality.
6. What does Branden acknowledge as being one of the major causes of mental degradation?
(a) Traditional doctrines.
(c) The government.
(d) Christian dogma.
7. What basis are you acting on if you audition for a Broadway show, after wanting to become a singer, you are an extremely competent singer, and you have performed on stage before?
8. What does Rand claim is not a valid standard of value in her essay on "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests?"
9. What was Ayn Rand's last work of fiction?
(a) The Objectivist Ethics.
(b) Atlas Shrugged.
(c) The Fountainhead.
(d) The Virtue of Selfishness.
10. No one ever really sacrifices oneself because every direct action is motivated by a person's desire. What does Branden say about this statement?
(a) That it is absolutely incorrect.
(b) That is needs to be proven.
(c) That it is absolutely correct.
(d) That it is faulty.
11. If a person saves a stranger from a burning building at the risk of their own life, then that person is acting upon which principles?
(b) Self interest.
12. According to Ayn Rand, one must pass moral judgment in order to live what kind of life?
13. Which of the following vocabulary words were not defined in Branden's essay on Mental Health versus Mysticism?
14. What is the enemy of Individualism according to Rand and the objectivist theory?
15. What does Rand believe the nature of the human mind to be?
(a) Driven by basic needs.
(d) A mystery.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Rand, compromise is similar to what?
2. Which of the following is included in the four considerations of man's view of rationality that Rand describes?
3. According to Branden, which word is intellectually confused with "selfishness?"
4. According to Rand, what are the notions of altruist thought perpetuated by?
5. According to Rand, what are ideas of mysticism and morality based upon?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)