|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following vocabulary words were not defined in Branden's essay on Mental Health versus Mysticism?
2. In which publication did "The Virtue of Selfishness" first appear?
(a) The Journal of Behavioral Psychology.
(b) The Objectivist Newsletter.
(c) The Objectivist Quarterly.
(d) The Times.
3. To be selfish is not simply to act on the basis of a __________.
4. In which year was the "Psychology of Pleasure" written?
5. Which of the following is not examined by Rand within "The Virtue of Selfishness?"
6. What notion does Branden attempt to refute in his essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish"?
(a) That not all people are selfish.
(b) That selfishness is cruel and wrong.
(c) That selfishness is the right way.
(d) That everyone is selfish.
7. What year did Nathaniel Branden write his essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
8. According to Branden, which concept is used by Mystics to encourage human self-sacrifice?
(b) Jesus Christ.
9. Which of the following is not included in Branden's list of avenues where people find pleasure?
10. What is necessary for the existence of self-esteem according to Branden?
11. Ayn Rand defines value as something that a person believes is necessary to do what?
(a) Learn and keep.
(b) Obtain and obey.
(c) Keep and follow.
(d) Obtain and keep.
12. What country is Ayn Rand originally from?
(b) The United Kingdom.
(d) The United States.
13. What does Branden acknowledge as being one of the major causes of mental degradation?
(a) Christian dogma.
(b) Traditional doctrines.
(d) The government.
14. If a person saves a stranger from a burning building at the risk of their own life, then that person is acting upon which principles?
(c) Self interest.
15. Finish the statement: According to Rand, " One must _____, and prepare to be _______."
(a) Act, judged.
(b) Love, loved.
(c) Act, questioned.
(d) Judge, judged.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which year was "Doesn't Life Require Compromise?" written?
2. In Rand's essay, "How Does One Lead a Rational Life in an Irrational Society?" Rand states that people often dismiss evil around them out of what?
3. What does Rand claim is not a valid standard of value in her essay on "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests?"
4. According to Branden, which word is intellectually confused with "selfishness?"
5. Rand believes that altruism has destroyed the concept of authentic __________ among men.
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)