|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The function of pleasure is to give a man his own sense of what?
2. What concept is mentioned once in the book that according to Rand, largely influences collectivist, Western thought?
3. What basis are you acting on if you audition for a Broadway show, after wanting to become a singer, you are an extremely competent singer, and you have performed on stage before?
4. According to Nathaniel Branden, what word is intellectually confused with "self-sacrifice?"
5. According to Branden, "The Psychology of Pleasure," how many major avenues are there for one to seek pleasure?
6. According to Rand, what term is used to describe a method in which one refuses to base his or her interests on context?
(a) A drop-key.
(c) Elimination of context.
7. According to Rand, what are the notions of altruist thought perpetuated by?
(a) Morality and mysticism.
8. What must one have before being able to find meaningful relationships with others?
(a) Self worth.
(d) Self interest.
9. Which of the following areas is Nathaniel Branden's area of expertise?
10. Finish the statement: According to Rand, " One must _____, and prepare to be _______."
(a) Act, judged.
(b) Love, loved.
(c) Judge, judged.
(d) Act, questioned.
11. Branden states in his essay, "The Psychology of Pleasure" that pleasure is not a _________, but a psychological need.
12. According to Branden, what do values in the context of ethics guide?
(a) A man's choice only.
(b) A man's actions and choices.
(c) A man's actions only.
(d) A man's life.
13. Which of the following words is not included in those Rand uses to describe desire?
14. In what year was "Atlas Shrugged" published?
15. According to the principles of selfishness, what would be the correct route for convincing an employer that you are the proper candidate for a job?
(a) Tell the employer of your competitor's incompetence.
(b) Explain your competence.
(c) Only apply for a job in which you are extremely over-qualified.
(d) Flatter your prospective employer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is included in the four considerations of man's view of rationality that Rand describes?
2. Which of the following is not examined by Rand within "The Virtue of Selfishness?"
3. From the altruist perspective, saving the life of a stranger is equivalent to saving the life of _________.
4. Finish the sentence based upon Rand's theory: One must achieve interests by her own efforts only and not at the expense of another's ______.
5. What year did Nathaniel Branden write his essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)