|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Nathaniel Branden in the context of this collection?
(a) Rand's associate.
(b) The creator of Objectivism.
(c) Rand's husband.
(d) Rand's favorite writer.
2. Branden's notion of pleasure being a psychological need also fits into which of his other notions?
(d) Mental health.
3. What type of need does "mental health" fall under?
4. What concept is mentioned once in the book that according to Rand, largely influences collectivist, Western thought?
5. From the altruist perspective, saving the life of a stranger is equivalent to saving the life of _________.
(a) A loved one.
(c) All humans.
6. Branden states in his essay, "The Psychology of Pleasure" that pleasure is not a _________, but a psychological need.
7. According to Branden, what must human beings have in order to have pleasure?
(b) Self esteem.
(c) A sense of purpose.
8. Which of the following is not examined by Rand within "The Virtue of Selfishness?"
9. If a person saves a stranger from a burning building at the risk of their own life, then that person is acting upon which principles?
(a) Self interest.
10. What word does Rand state that philosophers substitute for God?
(a) The Church.
11. Complete the sentence. A _________ person's desire for pleasure is the desire to escape reality.
12. Which law does Rand propose should be used to determine man's interests?
(a) Law of the Land.
(b) Laws of the Self.
(c) Law of Actual Reality.
(d) Law of Identity.
13. What are the two things Branden claims that perpetuate within society and threaten self-esteem?
(a) Anxiety and frivolity.
(b) Anxiety and guilt.
(c) Reason and control.
(d) Belief and guilt.
14. What does Branden acknowledge as being one of the major causes of mental degradation?
(a) The government.
(b) Traditional doctrines.
(d) Christian dogma.
15. What basis are you acting on if you audition for a Broadway show, after wanting to become a singer, you are an extremely competent singer, and you have performed on stage before?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Rand's essay on "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests," what are the two ways she claims that goals can be met?
2. According to Rand, compromise is similar to what?
3. According to Branden, which word is intellectually confused with "selfishness?"
4. What year did Nathaniel Branden write his essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
5. Which instinct does self-sacrifice directly contradict?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)