|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Finish the sentence based upon Rand's theory: One must achieve interests by her own efforts only and not at the expense of another's ______.
2. Which of the following is not included in the hierarchy Rand gives in the objectivist evaluation of committing an act of good will?
3. If a person saves a stranger from a burning building at the risk of their own life, then that person is acting upon which principles?
(d) Self interest.
4. No one ever really sacrifices oneself because every direct action is motivated by a person's desire. What does Branden say about this statement?
(a) That it is absolutely correct.
(b) That it is faulty.
(c) That it is absolutely incorrect.
(d) That is needs to be proven.
5. What does self-esteem provide a person with according to Branden?
(a) Superiority complexes.
6. In which publication did "The Virtue of Selfishness" first appear?
(a) The Journal of Behavioral Psychology.
(b) The Objectivist Quarterly.
(c) The Times.
(d) The Objectivist Newsletter.
7. What does Rand claim is not a valid standard of value in her essay on "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests?"
8. In which year was "Doesn't Life Require Compromise?" written?
9. The function of pleasure is to give a man his own sense of what?
10. According to Nathaniel Branden, what word is intellectually confused with "self-sacrifice?"
11. What year did Nathaniel Branden write his essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
12. What word does Rand use in "The Cult of Moral Grayness" to describe the common trend for people to believe there are not "blacks" and "whites," only grays?
13. According to Branden, which word is intellectually confused with "selfishness?"
(a) Self amorous.
14. What basis are you acting on if you audition for a Broadway show, after wanting to become a singer, you are an extremely competent singer, and you have performed on stage before?
15. To be selfish is not simply to act on the basis of a __________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it impossible to pursue in a "non-free" society?
2. According to Rand, what are ideas of mysticism and morality based upon?
3. Complete the sentence. A _________ person's desire for pleasure is the desire to escape reality.
4. What is necessary for the existence of self-esteem according to Branden?
5. Who is the noble, true, infallible judge in Western society, according to Rand?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)