|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Rand write the essay, "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests?"
2. What does Rand claim that Objectivists ethics are in the essay on Objectivist ethics?
(a) Relgious elixir.
(b) Basic morality.
(c) Only morality.
(d) True morality.
3. According to Branden, which word is intellectually confused with "selfishness?"
(b) Self amorous.
4. Complete the sentence: In order to act in self interest, man must refuse to sacrifice a ________ value for a _______ one.
(a) Worse, better.
(b) Better, worse.
(c) Lower, higher.
(d) Higher, lower.
5. How does Western Society deem moral judgment?
6. Which of the following does not fall into the category of what Branden would consider a proper avenue for seeking pleasure?
(a) Working on a project.
(b) Watching television.
(c) Writing a song.
7. Branden states in his essay, "The Psychology of Pleasure" that pleasure is not a _________, but a psychological need.
8. In Branden's essay on "The Psychology of Pleasure" he lists five avenues upon which ________ people find pleasure.
9. How does Rand define "society" in a basic sense?
(a) The most efficient way of governing the earth.
(b) A collection of individuals.
(c) A group governed by a government.
(d) The downfall of the individual.
10. In which publication did "The Virtue of Selfishness" first appear?
(a) The Journal of Behavioral Psychology.
(b) The Objectivist Newsletter.
(c) The Times.
(d) The Objectivist Quarterly.
11. According to Ayn Rand, one must pass moral judgment in order to live what kind of life?
12. What is the enemy of Individualism according to Rand and the objectivist theory?
13. Although Rand does not support altruistic belief, she does not ______against it.
14. In what year was "The Ethics of Emergencies" written?
15. In what year did Branden write his essay, "Mental Health versus Mysticism and Self-Sacrifice?"
Short Answer Questions
1. Rand clarifies her point about compromise when she asks the question about the compromise ______ and _______ along with the question of reason versus irrationality.
2. What notion does Branden attempt to refute in his essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish"?
3. Complete the quote: "_____ is a desire experienced by a person who does not know and does not care to discover its cause."
4. In what year was "Atlas Shrugged" published?
5. According to Rand, what term is used to describe a method in which one refuses to base his or her interests on context?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)