|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what principle is a person who steals something they want acting on?
(c) Rational thought.
2. According to Rand, what people define the standards for "good" in a society?
3. What was Ayn Rand's last work of fiction?
(a) Atlas Shrugged.
(b) The Fountainhead.
(c) The Virtue of Selfishness.
(d) The Objectivist Ethics.
4. According to Nathaniel Branden, what word is intellectually confused with "self-sacrifice?"
5. Branden's notion of pleasure being a psychological need also fits into which of his other notions?
(d) Mental health.
6. According to Rand, every interest that a person employs must be based in ________.
(d) Careful consideration.
7. Which of the following areas is Nathaniel Branden's area of expertise?
8. What basis are you acting on if you audition for a Broadway show, after wanting to become a singer, you are an extremely competent singer, and you have performed on stage before?
9. Which of the following is included in the four considerations of man's view of rationality that Rand describes?
10. According to Branden, what must human beings have in order to have pleasure?
(a) A sense of purpose.
(d) Self esteem.
11. Finish the statement. "A" is _________.
(a) A in the Actual Reality.
(c) Proportionate to Z.
(d) To B as B is to C.
12. Which instinct does self-sacrifice directly contradict?
13. Branden states in his essay, "The Psychology of Pleasure" that pleasure is not a _________, but a psychological need.
14. Which German philosopher does Rand oppose within her own philosophical theory?
15. No one ever really sacrifices oneself because every direct action is motivated by a person's desire. What does Branden say about this statement?
(a) That it is faulty.
(b) That is needs to be proven.
(c) That it is absolutely incorrect.
(d) That it is absolutely correct.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Rand's essay, "How Does One Lead a Rational Life in an Irrational Society?" Rand states that people often dismiss evil around them out of what?
2. What are the two things Branden claims that perpetuate within society and threaten self-esteem?
3. In which publication did "The Virtue of Selfishness" first appear?
4. Which of the following is not included in Branden's list of avenues where people find pleasure?
5. Which of the following vocabulary words were not defined in Branden's essay on Mental Health versus Mysticism?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)