|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Rand, what type of principles have ruled Western Society for years?
2. What must one have before being able to find meaningful relationships with others?
(a) Self worth.
(c) Self interest.
3. Which of the following words is not included in those Rand uses to describe desire?
4. What are the two things Branden claims that perpetuate within society and threaten self-esteem?
(a) Belief and guilt.
(b) Reason and control.
(c) Anxiety and frivolity.
(d) Anxiety and guilt.
5. What book did Rand write to illustrate her objectivist views by setting up a scenario where the characters protest against collectivist ideals?
(a) The Virtue of Selfishness.
(b) Total Freedom.
(c) Atlas Shrugged.
(d) The Fountainhead.
6. According to Rand, what people define the standards for "good" in a society?
7. What year did Nathaniel Branden write his essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
8. According to Branden, which concept is used by Mystics to encourage human self-sacrifice?
(c) Jesus Christ.
9. If a person saves a stranger from a burning building at the risk of their own life, then that person is acting upon which principles?
(b) Self interest.
10. What does self-esteem provide a person with according to Branden?
(d) Superiority complexes.
11. What year did Ayn Rand write the essay, "The Cult of Moral Grayness?"
12. According to Rand, what is the vessel in which the government seizes property and goods of the individual?
13. Which philosopher does Rand mention in her essay on "The Objectivist Ethics?"
14. Who is Nathaniel Branden in the context of this collection?
(a) Rand's favorite writer.
(b) Rand's husband.
(c) The creator of Objectivism.
(d) Rand's associate.
15. Rand states that judgment is a ______ action to commit.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Branden, what do values in the context of ethics guide?
2. What word does Rand state that philosophers substitute for God?
3. In Rand's essay, "How Does One Lead a Rational Life in an Irrational Society?" Rand states that people often dismiss evil around them out of what?
4. Branden states in his essay, "The Psychology of Pleasure" that pleasure is not a _________, but a psychological need.
5. Which of the following vocabulary words were not defined in Branden's essay on Mental Health versus Mysticism?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)