|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which law does Rand propose should be used to determine man's interests?
(a) Law of Actual Reality.
(b) Laws of the Self.
(c) Law of Identity.
(d) Law of the Land.
2. From the altruist perspective, saving the life of a stranger is equivalent to saving the life of _________.
(a) A loved one.
(b) All humans.
3. To be selfish is not simply to act on the basis of a __________.
4. In what year did Ayn Rand write, "How Does One Lead a Rational Life in an Irrational Society?"
5. Which instinct does self-sacrifice directly contradict?
6. What is necessary for the existence of self-esteem according to Branden?
7. In which publication did "The Virtue of Selfishness" first appear?
(a) The Times.
(b) The Objectivist Newsletter.
(c) The Objectivist Quarterly.
(d) The Journal of Behavioral Psychology.
8. Although Rand does not support altruistic belief, she does not ______against it.
9. Which of the following does not fall into the category of what Branden would consider a proper avenue for seeking pleasure?
(a) Writing a song.
(b) Working on a project.
(d) Watching television.
10. What year did Nathaniel Branden write his essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
11. What was Ayn Rand's last work of fiction?
(a) The Objectivist Ethics.
(b) Atlas Shrugged.
(c) The Fountainhead.
(d) The Virtue of Selfishness.
12. In Rand's essay, "How Does One Lead a Rational Life in an Irrational Society?" Rand states that people often dismiss evil around them out of what?
13. In what year did Branden write his essay, "Mental Health versus Mysticism and Self-Sacrifice?"
14. According to Rand, what term is used to describe a method in which one refuses to base his or her interests on context?
(b) A drop-key.
(c) Elimination of context.
15. What word does Rand use in "The Cult of Moral Grayness" to describe the common trend for people to believe there are not "blacks" and "whites," only grays?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a person considered to be who attempts to find the morally good in a given situation but acts incorrectly by honest mistake?
2. Branden's notion of pleasure being a psychological need also fits into which of his other notions?
3. On what principle is a person who steals something they want acting on?
4. Ayn Rand defines value as something that a person believes is necessary to do what?
5. What does self-esteem provide a person with according to Branden?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)