|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not included in Branden's list of avenues where people find pleasure?
2. What was Ayn Rand's last work of fiction?
(a) Atlas Shrugged.
(b) The Virtue of Selfishness.
(c) The Objectivist Ethics.
(d) The Fountainhead.
3. Which instinct does self-sacrifice directly contradict?
4. What type of scheme does Branden's essay on Mental Health versus Mysticism attempt to illustrate?
(c) Cause and effect.
(d) Pros and cons.
5. According to Branden, which concept is used by Mystics to encourage human self-sacrifice?
(c) Jesus Christ.
6. Which of the following is not included in the events of an emergency according to Rand's essay on "The Ethics of Emergencies"?
(c) Car accident.
7. According to Branden, "The Psychology of Pleasure," how many major avenues are there for one to seek pleasure?
8. What does Rand claim is not a valid standard of value in her essay on "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests?"
9. Which of the following vocabulary words were not defined in Branden's essay on Mental Health versus Mysticism?
10. What must one have before being able to find meaningful relationships with others?
(a) Self worth.
(b) Self interest.
11. What are the two things Branden claims that perpetuate within society and threaten self-esteem?
(a) Reason and control.
(b) Anxiety and frivolity.
(c) Anxiety and guilt.
(d) Belief and guilt.
12. According to Rand, what are the notions of altruist thought perpetuated by?
(c) Morality and mysticism.
13. At the conclusion of Rand's essay on the Objectivist ethics, what does she state is the standard value for the Objectivist?
(a) The development of the world.
(b) Man's life.
(c) The society.
(d) The creation of offspring.
14. On what principle is a person who steals something they want acting on?
(a) Rational thought.
15. What type of tools must one use in a real life situation?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to "Isn't Everyone Selfish?", one must ask which question about the desired action?
2. Ayn Rand defines value as something that a person believes is necessary to do what?
3. In which year was the "Psychology of Pleasure" written?
4. What notion does Branden attempt to refute in his essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish"?
5. In Rand's essay on "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests," what are the two ways she claims that goals can be met?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)