|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which law does Rand propose should be used to determine man's interests?
(a) Law of the Land.
(b) Law of Actual Reality.
(c) Laws of the Self.
(d) Law of Identity.
2. Which of the following is not included in the hierarchy Rand gives in the objectivist evaluation of committing an act of good will?
3. Although Rand does not support altruistic belief, she does not ______against it.
4. In Rand's essay on "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests," what are the two ways she claims that goals can be met?
(a) Complete and Incomplete.
(b) Directly and Indirectly.
(c) Directly and with proper intent.
(d) Purely and Directly.
5. What is it impossible to pursue in a "non-free" society?
(b) Total freedom.
(c) Rational interests.
6. According to Rand, what does an act of good will require in the eyes of the objectivist?
7. What does self-esteem provide a person with according to Branden?
(b) Superiority complexes.
8. How does Rand define "society" in a basic sense?
(a) The downfall of the individual.
(b) A collection of individuals.
(c) A group governed by a government.
(d) The most efficient way of governing the earth.
9. According to Ayn Rand, one must pass moral judgment in order to live what kind of life?
10. From the altruist perspective, saving the life of a stranger is equivalent to saving the life of _________.
(a) All humans.
(d) A loved one.
11. What type of scheme does Branden's essay on Mental Health versus Mysticism attempt to illustrate?
(c) Pros and cons.
(d) Cause and effect.
12. According to Rand, a person who does not attempt to define what is right or wrong in a given situation, and acts as a mixture of the two is morally what?
13. What word does Rand use in "The Cult of Moral Grayness" to describe the common trend for people to believe there are not "blacks" and "whites," only grays?
14. Complete the sentence: In order to act in self interest, man must refuse to sacrifice a ________ value for a _______ one.
(a) Better, worse.
(b) Higher, lower.
(c) Worse, better.
(d) Lower, higher.
15. Which of the following is not included in Branden's list of avenues where people find pleasure?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to "Isn't Everyone Selfish?", one must ask which question about the desired action?
2. According to Rand, compromise is synonymous with relinquishing one's ____________.
3. Rand believes that altruism has destroyed the concept of authentic __________ among men.
4. What is a person considered to be who attempts to find the morally good in a given situation but acts incorrectly by honest mistake?
5. What basis are you acting on if you audition for a Broadway show, after wanting to become a singer, you are an extremely competent singer, and you have performed on stage before?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)