|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rand claim that Objectivists ethics are in the essay on Objectivist ethics?
(a) Basic morality.
(b) Relgious elixir.
(c) Only morality.
(d) True morality.
2. What word does Rand state that philosophers substitute for God?
(b) The Church.
3. What concept is mentioned once in the book that according to Rand, largely influences collectivist, Western thought?
4. According to Rand, what people define the standards for "good" in a society?
5. What is it impossible to pursue in a "non-free" society?
(b) Rational interests.
(d) Total freedom.
6. What does Branden acknowledge as being one of the major causes of mental degradation?
(a) Traditional doctrines.
(c) The government.
(d) Christian dogma.
7. According to Rand, every interest that a person employs must be based in ________.
(a) Careful consideration.
8. In which year was the "Psychology of Pleasure" written?
9. Which of the following words is not included in those Rand uses to describe desire?
10. If a person saves a stranger from a burning building at the risk of their own life, then that person is acting upon which principles?
(b) Self interest.
11. Finish the sentence based upon Rand's theory: One must achieve interests by her own efforts only and not at the expense of another's ______.
12. Which of the following is not included in the hierarchy Rand gives in the objectivist evaluation of committing an act of good will?
13. In what year was "Atlas Shrugged" published?
14. To be selfish is not simply to act on the basis of a __________.
15. According to Rand, what does an act of good will require in the eyes of an altruist?
Short Answer Questions
1. What book did Rand write to illustrate her objectivist views by setting up a scenario where the characters protest against collectivist ideals?
2. Which of the following does not fall into the category of what Branden would consider a proper avenue for seeking pleasure?
3. Although Rand does not support altruistic belief, she does not ______against it.
4. From the objectivist perspective, what should the risk on committing an act of good will be proportionate to?
5. Ayn Rand defines value as something that a person believes is necessary to do what?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)