|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to "Isn't Everyone Selfish?", one must ask which question about the desired action?
2. According to Branden, which concept is used by Mystics to encourage human self-sacrifice?
(a) Jesus Christ.
3. From the altruist perspective, saving the life of a stranger is equivalent to saving the life of _________.
(c) All humans.
(d) A loved one.
4. In what year did Branden write his essay, "Mental Health versus Mysticism and Self-Sacrifice?"
5. What type of need does "mental health" fall under?
6. According to Rand, a person who does not attempt to define what is right or wrong in a given situation, and acts as a mixture of the two is morally what?
7. Finish the statement: According to Rand, " One must _____, and prepare to be _______."
(a) Love, loved.
(b) Act, judged.
(c) Act, questioned.
(d) Judge, judged.
8. What word does Rand state that philosophers substitute for God?
(b) The Church.
9. What does Branden identify as being referred to as an "evil" by Mystics?
10. The function of pleasure is to give a man his own sense of what?
11. What year did Ayn Rand write the essay, "The Cult of Moral Grayness?"
12. What must one have before being able to find meaningful relationships with others?
(b) Self interest.
(c) Self worth.
13. In which year was "Doesn't Life Require Compromise?" written?
14. According to Rand, without these two things there can be no gray.
(a) Gray and white.
(b) Reason and self-interest.
(c) Reason and rationality.
(d) Black and white.
15. Which Greek philosopher is mentioned once within the book?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two things Branden claims that perpetuate within society and threaten self-esteem?
2. In what year did Rand write the essay, "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests?"
3. If a person saves a stranger from a burning building at the risk of their own life, then that person is acting upon which principles?
4. Finish the sentence based upon Rand's theory: One must achieve interests by her own efforts only and not at the expense of another's ______.
5. According to Rand, what does an act of good will require in the eyes of an altruist?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)