|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Branden, what determines a person's individual pleasures?
2. What word does Rand state that philosophers substitute for God?
(d) The Church.
3. According to Rand, what type of principles have ruled Western Society for years?
4. In what year was "The Ethics of Emergencies" written?
5. What does Branden acknowledge as being one of the major causes of mental degradation?
(a) Traditional doctrines.
(b) The government.
(d) Christian dogma.
6. If a person saves a stranger from a burning building at the risk of their own life, then that person is acting upon which principles?
(c) Self interest.
7. Which German philosopher does Rand oppose within her own philosophical theory?
8. According to Rand, what are ideas of mysticism and morality based upon?
9. Which fictional character from "Atlas Shrugged" does Ayn Rand constantly refer to in order to explain her Objectivist theory?
(a) Nathanial Branden.
(b) John Galt.
(c) Peter Keating.
(d) Howard Roark.
10. How does Western Society deem moral judgment?
11. According to Rand, without these two things there can be no gray.
(a) Black and white.
(b) Reason and self-interest.
(c) Gray and white.
(d) Reason and rationality.
12. What type of tools must one use in a real life situation?
13. What basis are you acting on If you audition for a Broadway show, you are a poor singer, but you have always have wanted to sing?
14. Rand defends her points by stating her belief that the mainstream practice of ethics goes against the reality of _________.
(b) Human existence.
(d) Human peace and experience.
15. What type of need does "mental health" fall under?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Nathaniel Branden, what word is intellectually confused with "self-sacrifice?"
2. According to Rand, compromise is similar to what?
3. According to Rand, a person who does not attempt to define what is right or wrong in a given situation, and acts as a mixture of the two is morally what?
4. According to the principles of selfishness, what would be the correct route for convincing an employer that you are the proper candidate for a job?
5. In what year did Rand write the essay, "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests?"
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)