|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ayn Rand, human error is _______________.
2. Who created "good" and evil" according to Rand?
(a) Church Fathers.
(b) Various religions.
3. Which of the following words is not included in those Rand uses to describe desire?
4. Branden's notion of pleasure being a psychological need also fits into which of his other notions?
(a) Mental health.
5. No one ever really sacrifices oneself because every direct action is motivated by a person's desire. What does Branden say about this statement?
(a) That it is absolutely correct.
(b) That it is faulty.
(c) That is needs to be proven.
(d) That it is absolutely incorrect.
6. According to the principles of selfishness, what would be the correct route for convincing an employer that you are the proper candidate for a job?
(a) Only apply for a job in which you are extremely over-qualified.
(b) Flatter your prospective employer.
(c) Tell the employer of your competitor's incompetence.
(d) Explain your competence.
7. According to Rand, compromise is synonymous with relinquishing one's ____________.
(c) Self interest.
8. What is a person considered to be who attempts to find the morally good in a given situation but acts incorrectly by honest mistake?
9. According to Rand, what people define the standards for "good" in a society?
10. According to Rand, every interest that a person employs must be based in ________.
(a) Careful consideration.
11. What is necessary for the existence of self-esteem according to Branden?
12. According to Rand, what does an act of good will require in the eyes of the objectivist?
13. Which of the following is not included in the hierarchy Rand gives in the objectivist evaluation of committing an act of good will?
14. Finish the statement: According to Rand, " One must _____, and prepare to be _______."
(a) Act, questioned.
(b) Judge, judged.
(c) Love, loved.
(d) Act, judged.
15. According to Branden, "The Psychology of Pleasure," how many major avenues are there for one to seek pleasure?
Short Answer Questions
1. Branden states in his essay, "The Psychology of Pleasure" that pleasure is not a _________, but a psychological need.
2. In which year was "Doesn't Life Require Compromise?" written?
3. In what year did Branden write his essay, "Mental Health versus Mysticism and Self-Sacrifice?"
4. From the altruist perspective, saving the life of a stranger is equivalent to saving the life of _________.
5. The function of pleasure is to give a man his own sense of what?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)