|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Finish the statement: According to Rand, " One must _____, and prepare to be _______."
(a) Act, questioned.
(b) Love, loved.
(c) Judge, judged.
(d) Act, judged.
2. What does Rand claim is not a valid standard of value in her essay on "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests?"
3. What does Branden identify as being referred to as an "evil" by Mystics?
4. Which Greek philosopher is mentioned once within the book?
5. What country is Ayn Rand originally from?
(b) The United Kingdom.
(c) The United States.
6. What is the enemy of Individualism according to Rand and the objectivist theory?
7. Rand believes that because of altruism, what is the only reason people help others?
(b) Public Recognition.
8. In the act of conceding one's own reason in favor of another's, one commits an act of ______________.
(c) Self destruction.
9. What word does Rand state that philosophers substitute for God?
(a) The Church.
10. What are the two things Branden claims that perpetuate within society and threaten self-esteem?
(a) Anxiety and guilt.
(b) Belief and guilt.
(c) Anxiety and frivolity.
(d) Reason and control.
11. According to Branden, which word is intellectually confused with "selfishness?"
(d) Self amorous.
12. Which of the following is not included in the events of an emergency according to Rand's essay on "The Ethics of Emergencies"?
(a) Car accident.
13. Which fictional character from "Atlas Shrugged" does Ayn Rand constantly refer to in order to explain her Objectivist theory?
(a) John Galt.
(b) Peter Keating.
(c) Howard Roark.
(d) Nathanial Branden.
14. Which instinct does self-sacrifice directly contradict?
15. What must the goals one chooses to pursue be in order to be a rational thinker?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Branden's essay on "The Psychology of Pleasure" he lists five avenues upon which ________ people find pleasure.
2. The function of pleasure is to give a man his own sense of what?
3. According to Rand, what term is used to describe a method in which one refuses to base his or her interests on context?
4. In what year was "Atlas Shrugged" published?
5. According to Rand, without these two things there can be no gray.
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)