|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rand claim about the existence of compromise?
(a) That it paves the way toward human reason.
(b) That there is no compromise.
(c) That it is possible.
(d) That it can only exist with very rational people.
2. If a person saves a stranger from a burning building at the risk of their own life, then that person is acting upon which principles?
(c) Self interest.
3. What is it impossible to pursue in a "non-free" society?
(b) Total freedom.
(d) Rational interests.
4. In what year did Rand write the essay, "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests?"
5. In what year did Ayn Rand write, "How Does One Lead a Rational Life in an Irrational Society?"
6. Which of the following is not included in Branden's list of avenues where people find pleasure?
7. What country is Ayn Rand originally from?
(a) The United States.
(d) The United Kingdom.
8. According to Rand, compromise is synonymous with relinquishing one's ____________.
(c) Self interest.
9. What type of tools must one use in a real life situation?
10. In the act of conceding one's own reason in favor of another's, one commits an act of ______________.
(b) Self destruction.
11. The function of pleasure is to give a man his own sense of what?
12. How does Rand define "society" in a basic sense?
(a) A group governed by a government.
(b) The downfall of the individual.
(c) The most efficient way of governing the earth.
(d) A collection of individuals.
13. What does Rand claim that Objectivists ethics are in the essay on Objectivist ethics?
(a) Only morality.
(b) True morality.
(c) Basic morality.
(d) Relgious elixir.
14. Who is Nathaniel Branden in the context of this collection?
(a) The creator of Objectivism.
(b) Rand's husband.
(c) Rand's associate.
(d) Rand's favorite writer.
15. What was Ayn Rand's last work of fiction?
(a) The Fountainhead.
(b) Atlas Shrugged.
(c) The Objectivist Ethics.
(d) The Virtue of Selfishness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What basis are you acting on if you audition for a Broadway show, after wanting to become a singer, you are an extremely competent singer, and you have performed on stage before?
2. What does self-esteem provide a person with according to Branden?
3. According to Branden, what do values in the context of ethics guide?
4. Which of the following areas is Nathaniel Branden's area of expertise?
5. According to Rand, what type of principles have ruled Western Society for years?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)