|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the noble, true, infallible judge in Western society, according to Rand?
(a) Religious leaders.
(c) Jesus Christ.
(d) The President.
2. According to Rand, compromise is similar to what?
(b) Common ground.
3. In which publication did "The Virtue of Selfishness" first appear?
(a) The Journal of Behavioral Psychology.
(b) The Objectivist Quarterly.
(c) The Objectivist Newsletter.
(d) The Times.
4. According to Rand, what type of principles have ruled Western Society for years?
5. What basis are you acting on if you audition for a Broadway show, after wanting to become a singer, you are an extremely competent singer, and you have performed on stage before?
6. Rand believes that altruism has destroyed the concept of authentic __________ among men.
7. According to Rand, what does an act of good will require in the eyes of the objectivist?
8. Which German philosopher does Rand oppose within her own philosophical theory?
9. According to Rand, what is the vessel in which the government seizes property and goods of the individual?
10. Who created "good" and evil" according to Rand?
(b) Various religions.
(c) Church Fathers.
11. What are the two things Branden claims that perpetuate within society and threaten self-esteem?
(a) Anxiety and guilt.
(b) Anxiety and frivolity.
(c) Reason and control.
(d) Belief and guilt.
12. In Rand's essay on "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests," what are the two ways she claims that goals can be met?
(a) Directly and with proper intent.
(b) Complete and Incomplete.
(c) Directly and Indirectly.
(d) Purely and Directly.
13. Rand believes that because of altruism, what is the only reason people help others?
(a) Public Recognition.
14. In what year did Ayn Rand write, "How Does One Lead a Rational Life in an Irrational Society?"
15. In Rand's essay, "How Does One Lead a Rational Life in an Irrational Society?" Rand states that people often dismiss evil around them out of what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is included in the four considerations of man's view of rationality that Rand describes?
2. What type of need does "mental health" fall under?
3. According to Branden, what must human beings have in order to have pleasure?
4. What does Rand claim is not a valid standard of value in her essay on "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests?"
5. According to Branden, what determines a person's individual pleasures?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)