|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Complete the quote: "_____ is a desire experienced by a person who does not know and does not care to discover its cause."
2. What country is Ayn Rand originally from?
(b) The United Kingdom.
(d) The United States.
3. At the conclusion of Rand's essay on the Objectivist ethics, what does she state is the standard value for the Objectivist?
(a) Man's life.
(b) The development of the world.
(c) The creation of offspring.
(d) The society.
4. According to Rand, what term is used to describe a method in which one refuses to base his or her interests on context?
(c) Elimination of context.
(d) A drop-key.
5. According to Rand, what is the vessel in which the government seizes property and goods of the individual?
6. What does Rand claim is not a valid standard of value in her essay on "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests?"
7. Branden states in his essay, "The Psychology of Pleasure" that pleasure is not a _________, but a psychological need.
8. Ayn Rand defines value as something that a person believes is necessary to do what?
(a) Obtain and obey.
(b) Obtain and keep.
(c) Keep and follow.
(d) Learn and keep.
9. In what year did Branden write his essay, "Mental Health versus Mysticism and Self-Sacrifice?"
10. Which of the following is not examined by Rand within "The Virtue of Selfishness?"
11. Finish the sentence based upon Rand's theory: One must achieve interests by her own efforts only and not at the expense of another's ______.
12. What is a person considered to be who attempts to find the morally good in a given situation but acts incorrectly by honest mistake?
13. According to Rand, a person who does not attempt to define what is right or wrong in a given situation, and acts as a mixture of the two is morally what?
14. Which of the following is not included in Branden's list of avenues where people find pleasure?
15. What type of need does "mental health" fall under?
Short Answer Questions
1. What year did Ayn Rand write the essay, "The Cult of Moral Grayness?"
2. The function of pleasure is to give a man his own sense of what?
3. Which of the following words is not included in those Rand uses to describe desire?
4. Finish the statement. "A" is _________.
5. What does Rand claim that Objectivists ethics are in the essay on Objectivist ethics?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)