|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, "The Divine Right of Stagnation", Nathaniel Branden (1963).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Branden write his essay, "Mental Health versus Mysticism and Self-Sacrifice?"
2. According to Rand, without these two things there can be no gray.
(a) Reason and rationality.
(b) Black and white.
(c) Gray and white.
(d) Reason and self-interest.
3. According to Branden, which concept is used by Mystics to encourage human self-sacrifice?
(b) Jesus Christ.
4. According to Branden, what must human beings have in order to have pleasure?
(b) Self esteem.
(c) A sense of purpose.
5. What book did Rand write to illustrate her objectivist views by setting up a scenario where the characters protest against collectivist ideals?
(a) The Virtue of Selfishness.
(b) The Fountainhead.
(c) Total Freedom.
(d) Atlas Shrugged.
Short Answer Questions
1. With which country's form of government does Rand largely agree?
2. As Rand states, how must a collectivist society be formed to operate morally?
3. What type of need does "mental health" fall under?
4. What does Rand claim is not a valid standard of value in her essay on "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests?"
5. According to Rand, what term is used to describe a method in which one refuses to base his or her interests on context?
This section contains 209 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)