|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, "The Cult of Moral Grayness", Ayn Rand (1964).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rand believes that because of altruism, what is the only reason people help others?
(d) Public Recognition.
2. What year did Nathaniel Branden write his essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
3. From the altruist perspective, saving the life of a stranger is equivalent to saving the life of _________.
(a) A loved one.
(d) All humans.
4. What are the two things Branden claims that perpetuate within society and threaten self-esteem?
(a) Anxiety and guilt.
(b) Reason and control.
(c) Belief and guilt.
(d) Anxiety and frivolity.
5. What word does Rand use in "The Cult of Moral Grayness" to describe the common trend for people to believe there are not "blacks" and "whites," only grays?
Short Answer Questions
1. Complete the sentence: In order to act in self interest, man must refuse to sacrifice a ________ value for a _______ one.
2. According to Rand, a person who does not attempt to define what is right or wrong in a given situation, and acts as a mixture of the two is morally what?
3. What does self-esteem provide a person with according to Branden?
4. According to Ayn Rand, human error is _______________.
5. If a person saves a stranger from a burning building at the risk of their own life, then that person is acting upon which principles?
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)