|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, "The Cult of Moral Grayness", Ayn Rand (1964).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does Rand state that philosophers substitute for God?
(b) The Church.
2. In Rand's essay on "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests," what are the two ways she claims that goals can be met?
(a) Directly and Indirectly.
(b) Complete and Incomplete.
(c) Purely and Directly.
(d) Directly and with proper intent.
3. Finish the sentence based upon Rand's theory: One must achieve interests by her own efforts only and not at the expense of another's ______.
4. Rand believes that altruism has destroyed the concept of authentic __________ among men.
5. Which fictional character from "Atlas Shrugged" does Ayn Rand constantly refer to in order to explain her Objectivist theory?
(a) Howard Roark.
(b) John Galt.
(c) Peter Keating.
(d) Nathanial Branden.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Rand, what are ideas of mysticism and morality based upon?
2. According to Branden, what must human beings have in order to have pleasure?
3. According to Rand, compromise is synonymous with relinquishing one's ____________.
4. At the conclusion of Rand's essay on the Objectivist ethics, what does she state is the standard value for the Objectivist?
5. In the act of conceding one's own reason in favor of another's, one commits an act of ______________.
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)