|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, "The Cult of Moral Grayness", Ayn Rand (1964).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year did Nathaniel Branden write his essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
2. According to the principles of selfishness, what would be the correct route for convincing an employer that you are the proper candidate for a job?
(a) Explain your competence.
(b) Tell the employer of your competitor's incompetence.
(c) Flatter your prospective employer.
(d) Only apply for a job in which you are extremely over-qualified.
3. In what year did Rand write the essay, "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests?"
4. According to Ayn Rand, one must pass moral judgment in order to live what kind of life?
5. In Branden's essay on "The Psychology of Pleasure" he lists five avenues upon which ________ people find pleasure.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Branden, which concept is used by Mystics to encourage human self-sacrifice?
2. Rand defends her points by stating her belief that the mainstream practice of ethics goes against the reality of _________.
3. According to Branden, what must human beings have in order to have pleasure?
4. Branden's notion of pleasure being a psychological need also fits into which of his other notions?
5. Which instinct does self-sacrifice directly contradict?
This section contains 213 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)