|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, "Doesn't Life Require Compromise?" Ayn Rand (1962).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Rand, what are ideas of mysticism and morality based upon?
2. In Rand's essay on "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests," what are the two ways she claims that goals can be met?
(a) Directly and Indirectly.
(b) Directly and with proper intent.
(c) Purely and Directly.
(d) Complete and Incomplete.
3. What country is Ayn Rand originally from?
(b) The United States.
(d) The United Kingdom.
4. What is the enemy of Individualism according to Rand and the objectivist theory?
5. At the conclusion of Rand's essay on the Objectivist ethics, what does she state is the standard value for the Objectivist?
(a) Man's life.
(b) The development of the world.
(c) The creation of offspring.
(d) The society.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rand define "society" in a basic sense?
2. Rand believes that because of altruism, what is the only reason people help others?
3. In the act of conceding one's own reason in favor of another's, one commits an act of ______________.
4. Complete the sentence: In order to act in self interest, man must refuse to sacrifice a ________ value for a _______ one.
5. Although Rand does not support altruistic belief, she does not ______against it.
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)