|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, "Doesn't Life Require Compromise?" Ayn Rand (1962).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Rand, what does an act of good will require in the eyes of an altruist?
2. From the altruist perspective, saving the life of a stranger is equivalent to saving the life of _________.
(b) A loved one.
(d) All humans.
3. What year did Nathaniel Branden write his essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
4. What does self-esteem provide a person with according to Branden?
(a) Superiority complexes.
5. No one ever really sacrifices oneself because every direct action is motivated by a person's desire. What does Branden say about this statement?
(a) That it is faulty.
(b) That it is absolutely correct.
(c) That it is absolutely incorrect.
(d) That is needs to be proven.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rand defends her points by stating her belief that the mainstream practice of ethics goes against the reality of _________.
2. According to Rand, what term is used to describe a method in which one refuses to base his or her interests on context?
3. Complete the sentence: In order to act in self interest, man must refuse to sacrifice a ________ value for a _______ one.
4. What does Rand claim that Objectivists ethics are in the essay on Objectivist ethics?
5. According to Branden, which word is intellectually confused with "selfishness?"
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)