|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, "Doesn't Life Require Compromise?" Ayn Rand (1962).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not included in the hierarchy Rand gives in the objectivist evaluation of committing an act of good will?
2. Rand clarifies her point about compromise when she asks the question about the compromise ______ and _______ along with the question of reason versus irrationality.
(a) Health, illness.
(b) Happiness, sadness.
(c) Life, death.
(d) Morality, mysticism.
3. What was Ayn Rand's last work of fiction?
(a) Atlas Shrugged.
(b) The Objectivist Ethics.
(c) The Virtue of Selfishness.
(d) The Fountainhead.
4. Which of the following is not included in the events of an emergency according to Rand's essay on "The Ethics of Emergencies"?
(c) Car accident.
5. According to the principles of selfishness, what would be the correct route for convincing an employer that you are the proper candidate for a job?
(a) Flatter your prospective employer.
(b) Explain your competence.
(c) Only apply for a job in which you are extremely over-qualified.
(d) Tell the employer of your competitor's incompetence.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does not fall into the category of what Branden would consider a proper avenue for seeking pleasure?
2. In what year was "The Ethics of Emergencies" written?
3. What basis are you acting on if you audition for a Broadway show, after wanting to become a singer, you are an extremely competent singer, and you have performed on stage before?
4. What does Rand claim is not a valid standard of value in her essay on "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests?"
5. What notion does Branden attempt to refute in his essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish"?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)