|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, "Doesn't Life Require Compromise?" Ayn Rand (1962).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year did Nathaniel Branden write his essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
2. Branden states in his essay, "The Psychology of Pleasure" that pleasure is not a _________, but a psychological need.
3. Which philosopher does Rand mention in her essay on "The Objectivist Ethics?"
4. What are the two things Branden claims that perpetuate within society and threaten self-esteem?
(a) Belief and guilt.
(b) Anxiety and frivolity.
(c) Reason and control.
(d) Anxiety and guilt.
5. From the objectivist perspective, what should the risk on committing an act of good will be proportionate to?
(a) A reward.
(b) Nothing, it should be a selfless act.
(c) Public recognition.
(d) One's happiness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rand believes that altruism has destroyed the concept of authentic __________ among men.
2. Which of the following does not fall into the category of what Branden would consider a proper avenue for seeking pleasure?
3. Rand clarifies her point about compromise when she asks the question about the compromise ______ and _______ along with the question of reason versus irrationality.
4. From the altruist perspective, saving the life of a stranger is equivalent to saving the life of _________.
5. According to Nathaniel Branden, what word is intellectually confused with "self-sacrifice?"
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)