|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?" Nathaniel Branden (1962).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Rand, what does an act of good will require in the eyes of the objectivist?
2. In Rand's essay on "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests," what are the two ways she claims that goals can be met?
(a) Directly and Indirectly.
(b) Directly and with proper intent.
(c) Complete and Incomplete.
(d) Purely and Directly.
3. According to Branden, which concept is used by Mystics to encourage human self-sacrifice?
(d) Jesus Christ.
4. Rand believes that altruism has destroyed the concept of authentic __________ among men.
5. How does Rand define "society" in a basic sense?
(a) A group governed by a government.
(b) A collection of individuals.
(c) The downfall of the individual.
(d) The most efficient way of governing the earth.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Rand write the essay, "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests?"
2. What does Rand believe the nature of the human mind to be?
3. At the conclusion of Rand's essay on the Objectivist ethics, what does she state is the standard value for the Objectivist?
4. In what year was "The Ethics of Emergencies" written?
5. What is necessary for the existence of self-esteem according to Branden?
This section contains 213 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)