|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?" Nathaniel Branden (1962).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the principles of selfishness, what would be the correct route for convincing an employer that you are the proper candidate for a job?
(a) Tell the employer of your competitor's incompetence.
(b) Only apply for a job in which you are extremely over-qualified.
(c) Flatter your prospective employer.
(d) Explain your competence.
2. No one ever really sacrifices oneself because every direct action is motivated by a person's desire. What does Branden say about this statement?
(a) That it is faulty.
(b) That it is absolutely correct.
(c) That is needs to be proven.
(d) That it is absolutely incorrect.
3. What does Branden identify as being referred to as an "evil" by Mystics?
4. Which philosopher does Rand mention in her essay on "The Objectivist Ethics?"
5. Rand believes that because of altruism, what is the only reason people help others?
(b) Public Recognition.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Branden, which concept is used by Mystics to encourage human self-sacrifice?
2. What does self-esteem provide a person with according to Branden?
3. Complete the quote: "_____ is a desire experienced by a person who does not know and does not care to discover its cause."
4. What notion does Branden attempt to refute in his essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish"?
5. What is necessary for the existence of self-esteem according to Branden?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)