|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?" Nathaniel Branden (1962).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Finish the statement. "A" is _________.
(a) To B as B is to C.
(b) A in the Actual Reality.
(c) Proportionate to Z.
2. No one ever really sacrifices oneself because every direct action is motivated by a person's desire. What does Branden say about this statement?
(a) That it is faulty.
(b) That is needs to be proven.
(c) That it is absolutely correct.
(d) That it is absolutely incorrect.
3. Complete the quote: "_____ is a desire experienced by a person who does not know and does not care to discover its cause."
4. Rand defends her points by stating her belief that the mainstream practice of ethics goes against the reality of _________.
(a) Human existence.
(d) Human peace and experience.
5. Which law does Rand propose should be used to determine man's interests?
(a) Law of the Land.
(b) Laws of the Self.
(c) Law of Actual Reality.
(d) Law of Identity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not included in the events of an emergency according to Rand's essay on "The Ethics of Emergencies"?
2. What does Branden acknowledge as being one of the major causes of mental degradation?
3. According to Rand, what people define the standards for "good" in a society?
4. According to "Isn't Everyone Selfish?", one must ask which question about the desired action?
5. Which of the following is not examined by Rand within "The Virtue of Selfishness?"
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)