|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?" Nathaniel Branden (1962).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Branden, which word is intellectually confused with "selfishness?"
(b) Self amorous.
2. What does Rand claim is not a valid standard of value in her essay on "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests?"
3. According to Rand, every interest that a person employs must be based in ________.
(c) Careful consideration.
4. What notion does Branden attempt to refute in his essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish"?
(a) That everyone is selfish.
(b) That selfishness is cruel and wrong.
(c) That selfishness is the right way.
(d) That not all people are selfish.
5. Complete the quote: "_____ is a desire experienced by a person who does not know and does not care to discover its cause."
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not included in the hierarchy Rand gives in the objectivist evaluation of committing an act of good will?
2. What does self-esteem provide a person with according to Branden?
3. Which of the following words is not included in those Rand uses to describe desire?
4. According to Branden, which concept is used by Mystics to encourage human self-sacrifice?
5. In what year did Branden write his essay, "Mental Health versus Mysticism and Self-Sacrifice?"
This section contains 211 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)