|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?" Nathaniel Branden (1962).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Nathaniel Branden in the context of this collection?
(a) Rand's husband.
(b) Rand's favorite writer.
(c) Rand's associate.
(d) The creator of Objectivism.
2. Rand believes that altruism has destroyed the concept of authentic __________ among men.
3. What are the two things Branden claims that perpetuate within society and threaten self-esteem?
(a) Anxiety and frivolity.
(b) Belief and guilt.
(c) Anxiety and guilt.
(d) Reason and control.
4. According to Branden, which word is intellectually confused with "selfishness?"
(c) Self amorous.
5. According to the principles of selfishness, what would be the correct route for convincing an employer that you are the proper candidate for a job?
(a) Flatter your prospective employer.
(b) Only apply for a job in which you are extremely over-qualified.
(c) Explain your competence.
(d) Tell the employer of your competitor's incompetence.
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish the sentence based upon Rand's theory: One must achieve interests by her own efforts only and not at the expense of another's ______.
2. According to "Isn't Everyone Selfish?", one must ask which question about the desired action?
3. Although Rand does not support altruistic belief, she does not ______against it.
4. According to Rand, what does an act of good will require in the eyes of the objectivist?
5. According to Rand, what term is used to describe a method in which one refuses to base his or her interests on context?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)