|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?" Nathaniel Branden (1962).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ayn Rand defines value as something that a person believes is necessary to do what?
(a) Obtain and obey.
(b) Learn and keep.
(c) Obtain and keep.
(d) Keep and follow.
2. Complete the sentence: In order to act in self interest, man must refuse to sacrifice a ________ value for a _______ one.
(a) Lower, higher.
(b) Higher, lower.
(c) Better, worse.
(d) Worse, better.
3. Who created "good" and evil" according to Rand?
(a) Church Fathers.
(b) Various religions.
4. What type of scheme does Branden's essay on Mental Health versus Mysticism attempt to illustrate?
(b) Cause and effect.
(c) Pros and cons.
5. What must the goals one chooses to pursue be in order to be a rational thinker?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Nathaniel Branden in the context of this collection?
2. In what year did Rand write the essay, "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests?"
3. What are the two things Branden claims that perpetuate within society and threaten self-esteem?
4. What basis are you acting on if you audition for a Broadway show, after wanting to become a singer, you are an extremely competent singer, and you have performed on stage before?
5. Rand believes that because of altruism, what is the only reason people help others?
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)