|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?" Nathaniel Branden (1962).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Complete the sentence: In order to act in self interest, man must refuse to sacrifice a ________ value for a _______ one.
(a) Better, worse.
(b) Worse, better.
(c) Lower, higher.
(d) Higher, lower.
2. Who is Nathaniel Branden in the context of this collection?
(a) Rand's husband.
(b) The creator of Objectivism.
(c) Rand's favorite writer.
(d) Rand's associate.
3. According to Rand, what are ideas of mysticism and morality based upon?
4. What basis are you acting on if you audition for a Broadway show, after wanting to become a singer, you are an extremely competent singer, and you have performed on stage before?
5. What notion does Branden attempt to refute in his essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish"?
(a) That not all people are selfish.
(b) That selfishness is the right way.
(c) That everyone is selfish.
(d) That selfishness is cruel and wrong.
Short Answer Questions
1. From the objectivist perspective, what should the risk on committing an act of good will be proportionate to?
2. From the altruist perspective, saving the life of a stranger is equivalent to saving the life of _________.
3. Which of the following vocabulary words were not defined in Branden's essay on Mental Health versus Mysticism?
4. What must the goals one chooses to pursue be in order to be a rational thinker?
5. Rand defends her points by stating her belief that the mainstream practice of ethics goes against the reality of _________.
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)