|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?" Nathaniel Branden (1962).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ayn Rand defines value as something that a person believes is necessary to do what?
(a) Obtain and obey.
(b) Learn and keep.
(c) Keep and follow.
(d) Obtain and keep.
2. Although Rand does not support altruistic belief, she does not ______against it.
3. From the objectivist perspective, what should the risk on committing an act of good will be proportionate to?
(a) Nothing, it should be a selfless act.
(b) One's happiness.
(c) A reward.
(d) Public recognition.
4. Which of the following is not included in the events of an emergency according to Rand's essay on "The Ethics of Emergencies"?
(d) Car accident.
5. Which of the following vocabulary words were not defined in Branden's essay on Mental Health versus Mysticism?
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish the sentence based upon Rand's theory: One must achieve interests by her own efforts only and not at the expense of another's ______.
2. What type of scheme does Branden's essay on Mental Health versus Mysticism attempt to illustrate?
3. Which instinct does self-sacrifice directly contradict?
4. At the conclusion of Rand's essay on the Objectivist ethics, what does she state is the standard value for the Objectivist?
5. Which law does Rand propose should be used to determine man's interests?
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)