|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?" Nathaniel Branden (1962).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the two things Branden claims that perpetuate within society and threaten self-esteem?
(a) Anxiety and guilt.
(b) Reason and control.
(c) Anxiety and frivolity.
(d) Belief and guilt.
2. How does Rand define "society" in a basic sense?
(a) A collection of individuals.
(b) The downfall of the individual.
(c) The most efficient way of governing the earth.
(d) A group governed by a government.
3. According to Rand, what does an act of good will require in the eyes of the objectivist?
4. Finish the statement. "A" is _________.
(a) A in the Actual Reality.
(b) Proportionate to Z.
(c) To B as B is to C.
5. What type of scheme does Branden's essay on Mental Health versus Mysticism attempt to illustrate?
(b) Pros and cons.
(d) Cause and effect.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although Rand does not support altruistic belief, she does not ______against it.
2. What basis are you acting on If you audition for a Broadway show, you are a poor singer, but you have always have wanted to sing?
3. Complete the sentence: In order to act in self interest, man must refuse to sacrifice a ________ value for a _______ one.
4. According to Branden, which word is intellectually confused with "selfishness?"
5. Who created "good" and evil" according to Rand?
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)