|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?" Nathaniel Branden (1962).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. No one ever really sacrifices oneself because every direct action is motivated by a person's desire. What does Branden say about this statement?
(a) That it is absolutely correct.
(b) That it is absolutely incorrect.
(c) That is needs to be proven.
(d) That it is faulty.
2. In what year did Rand write the essay, "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests?"
3. What does Rand believe the nature of the human mind to be?
(a) Driven by basic needs.
(b) A mystery.
4. According to "Isn't Everyone Selfish?", one must ask which question about the desired action?
5. How does Rand define "society" in a basic sense?
(a) A collection of individuals.
(b) The downfall of the individual.
(c) The most efficient way of governing the earth.
(d) A group governed by a government.
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish the sentence based upon Rand's theory: One must achieve interests by her own efforts only and not at the expense of another's ______.
2. What year did Nathaniel Branden write his essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
3. Complete the sentence: In order to act in self interest, man must refuse to sacrifice a ________ value for a _______ one.
4. To be selfish is not simply to act on the basis of a __________.
5. Which of the following words is not included in those Rand uses to describe desire?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)