|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?" Nathaniel Branden (1962).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rand define "society" in a basic sense?
(a) The downfall of the individual.
(b) The most efficient way of governing the earth.
(c) A collection of individuals.
(d) A group governed by a government.
2. From the objectivist perspective, what should the risk on committing an act of good will be proportionate to?
(a) A reward.
(b) One's happiness.
(c) Public recognition.
(d) Nothing, it should be a selfless act.
3. In what year was "The Ethics of Emergencies" written?
4. Which philosopher does Rand mention in her essay on "The Objectivist Ethics?"
5. In what year did Branden write his essay, "Mental Health versus Mysticism and Self-Sacrifice?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of need does "mental health" fall under?
2. According to Branden, what do values in the context of ethics guide?
3. What notion does Branden attempt to refute in his essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish"?
4. What basis are you acting on if you audition for a Broadway show, after wanting to become a singer, you are an extremely competent singer, and you have performed on stage before?
5. To be selfish is not simply to act on the basis of a __________.
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)