|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?" Nathaniel Branden (1962).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Rand's essay on "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests," what are the two ways she claims that goals can be met?
(a) Purely and Directly.
(b) Directly and Indirectly.
(c) Complete and Incomplete.
(d) Directly and with proper intent.
2. What does self-esteem provide a person with according to Branden?
(d) Superiority complexes.
3. Which philosopher does Rand mention in her essay on "The Objectivist Ethics?"
4. What type of scheme does Branden's essay on Mental Health versus Mysticism attempt to illustrate?
(b) Cause and effect.
(d) Pros and cons.
5. According to the principles of selfishness, what would be the correct route for convincing an employer that you are the proper candidate for a job?
(a) Tell the employer of your competitor's incompetence.
(b) Explain your competence.
(c) Only apply for a job in which you are extremely over-qualified.
(d) Flatter your prospective employer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What notion does Branden attempt to refute in his essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish"?
2. According to Rand, every interest that a person employs must be based in ________.
3. Rand defends her points by stating her belief that the mainstream practice of ethics goes against the reality of _________.
4. What does Rand believe the nature of the human mind to be?
5. Which of the following is not examined by Rand within "The Virtue of Selfishness?"
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)