|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?" Nathaniel Branden (1962).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Rand, what are ideas of mysticism and morality based upon?
2. According to Rand, what does an act of good will require in the eyes of an altruist?
3. What are the two things Branden claims that perpetuate within society and threaten self-esteem?
(a) Anxiety and guilt.
(b) Reason and control.
(c) Belief and guilt.
(d) Anxiety and frivolity.
4. What does self-esteem provide a person with according to Branden?
(d) Superiority complexes.
5. How does Rand define "society" in a basic sense?
(a) A group governed by a government.
(b) A collection of individuals.
(c) The most efficient way of governing the earth.
(d) The downfall of the individual.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of need does "mental health" fall under?
2. According to "Isn't Everyone Selfish?", one must ask which question about the desired action?
3. Which law does Rand propose should be used to determine man's interests?
4. Which of the following vocabulary words were not defined in Branden's essay on Mental Health versus Mysticism?
5. No one ever really sacrifices oneself because every direct action is motivated by a person's desire. What does Branden say about this statement?
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)