|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, "The Ethics of Emergencies", Ayn Rand (1963).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although Rand does not support altruistic belief, she does not ______against it.
2. What does Rand believe the nature of the human mind to be?
(a) A mystery.
(b) Driven by basic needs.
3. What word does Rand state that philosophers substitute for God?
(d) The Church.
4. What are the two things Branden claims that perpetuate within society and threaten self-esteem?
(a) Anxiety and guilt.
(b) Anxiety and frivolity.
(c) Reason and control.
(d) Belief and guilt.
5. What does Branden acknowledge as being one of the major causes of mental degradation?
(a) The government.
(b) Christian dogma.
(c) Traditional doctrines.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the conclusion of Rand's essay on the Objectivist ethics, what does she state is the standard value for the Objectivist?
2. Rand believes that altruism has destroyed the concept of authentic __________ among men.
3. Which of the following vocabulary words were not defined in Branden's essay on Mental Health versus Mysticism?
4. Which of the following is not included in the events of an emergency according to Rand's essay on "The Ethics of Emergencies"?
5. Which instinct does self-sacrifice directly contradict?
This section contains 206 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)