|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, "The Ethics of Emergencies", Ayn Rand (1963).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Rand, what does an act of good will require in the eyes of the objectivist?
2. According to Rand, what people define the standards for "good" in a society?
3. What word does Rand state that philosophers substitute for God?
(d) The Church.
4. Who is Nathaniel Branden in the context of this collection?
(a) Rand's favorite writer.
(b) Rand's associate.
(c) Rand's husband.
(d) The creator of Objectivism.
5. From the objectivist perspective, what should the risk on committing an act of good will be proportionate to?
(a) Nothing, it should be a selfless act.
(b) One's happiness.
(c) Public recognition.
(d) A reward.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following vocabulary words were not defined in Branden's essay on Mental Health versus Mysticism?
2. What does Branden acknowledge as being one of the major causes of mental degradation?
3. Which philosopher does Rand mention in her essay on "The Objectivist Ethics?"
4. According to Branden, which concept is used by Mystics to encourage human self-sacrifice?
5. What does Branden identify as being referred to as an "evil" by Mystics?
This section contains 198 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)