|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, "The Ethics of Emergencies", Ayn Rand (1963).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not examined by Rand within "The Virtue of Selfishness?"
2. Although Rand does not support altruistic belief, she does not ______against it.
3. What does Branden acknowledge as being one of the major causes of mental degradation?
(b) The government.
(c) Traditional doctrines.
(d) Christian dogma.
4. Which instinct does self-sacrifice directly contradict?
5. What does Rand believe the nature of the human mind to be?
(b) Driven by basic needs.
(d) A mystery.
Short Answer Questions
1. From the altruist perspective, saving the life of a stranger is equivalent to saving the life of _________.
2. According to Rand, what are ideas of mysticism and morality based upon?
3. Ayn Rand defines value as something that a person believes is necessary to do what?
4. What are the two things Branden claims that perpetuate within society and threaten self-esteem?
5. From the objectivist perspective, what should the risk on committing an act of good will be proportionate to?
This section contains 209 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)