|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, "The Ethics of Emergencies", Ayn Rand (1963).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is necessary for the existence of self-esteem according to Branden?
2. Rand defends her points by stating her belief that the mainstream practice of ethics goes against the reality of _________.
(b) Human peace and experience.
(c) Human existence.
3. According to Rand, what does an act of good will require in the eyes of an altruist?
4. According to Rand, what people define the standards for "good" in a society?
5. Rand believes that altruism has destroyed the concept of authentic __________ among men.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Rand, what are ideas of mysticism and morality based upon?
2. What word does Rand state that philosophers substitute for God?
3. What are the two things Branden claims that perpetuate within society and threaten self-esteem?
4. Which instinct does self-sacrifice directly contradict?
5. What does Rand believe the nature of the human mind to be?
This section contains 183 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)