|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, "The Ethics of Emergencies", Ayn Rand (1963).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rand define "society" in a basic sense?
(a) A collection of individuals.
(b) The downfall of the individual.
(c) A group governed by a government.
(d) The most efficient way of governing the earth.
2. Rand defends her points by stating her belief that the mainstream practice of ethics goes against the reality of _________.
(b) Human peace and experience.
(d) Human existence.
3. According to Rand, what does an act of good will require in the eyes of an altruist?
4. What are the two things Branden claims that perpetuate within society and threaten self-esteem?
(a) Anxiety and frivolity.
(b) Belief and guilt.
(c) Reason and control.
(d) Anxiety and guilt.
5. What does self-esteem provide a person with according to Branden?
(a) Superiority complexes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ayn Rand defines value as something that a person believes is necessary to do what?
2. Which of the following is not examined by Rand within "The Virtue of Selfishness?"
3. At the conclusion of Rand's essay on the Objectivist ethics, what does she state is the standard value for the Objectivist?
4. What does Branden acknowledge as being one of the major causes of mental degradation?
5. Rand believes that altruism has destroyed the concept of authentic __________ among men.
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)