|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, "The Ethics of Emergencies", Ayn Rand (1963).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rand believe the nature of the human mind to be?
(a) A mystery.
(c) Driven by basic needs.
2. Which of the following is not included in the hierarchy Rand gives in the objectivist evaluation of committing an act of good will?
3. According to Branden, which concept is used by Mystics to encourage human self-sacrifice?
(a) Jesus Christ.
4. What does Branden acknowledge as being one of the major causes of mental degradation?
(a) Traditional doctrines.
(b) Christian dogma.
(d) The government.
5. Which instinct does self-sacrifice directly contradict?
Short Answer Questions
1. Rand believes that because of altruism, what is the only reason people help others?
2. At the conclusion of Rand's essay on the Objectivist ethics, what does she state is the standard value for the Objectivist?
3. Complete the quote: "_____ is a desire experienced by a person who does not know and does not care to discover its cause."
4. According to Rand, what people define the standards for "good" in a society?
5. What are the two things Branden claims that perpetuate within society and threaten self-esteem?
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)