|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, "The Monument Builders," Ayn Rand (1962).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the principles of selfishness, what would be the correct route for convincing an employer that you are the proper candidate for a job?
(a) Only apply for a job in which you are extremely over-qualified.
(b) Tell the employer of your competitor's incompetence.
(c) Flatter your prospective employer.
(d) Explain your competence.
2. Which major historical event ended just two decades before the essay, "The Monument Builders" was written?
(a) World War I.
(b) The Korean Conflict.
(c) World War II.
(d) The Cold War.
3. What is the enemy of Individualism according to Rand and the objectivist theory?
4. According to Branden, which word is intellectually confused with "selfishness?"
(b) Self amorous.
5. In what year was "The Ethics of Emergencies" written?
Short Answer Questions
1. In which publication did "The Virtue of Selfishness" first appear?
2. What word does Rand use in "The Cult of Moral Grayness" to describe the common trend for people to believe there are not "blacks" and "whites," only grays?
3. According to Rand, a person who does not attempt to define what is right or wrong in a given situation, and acts as a mixture of the two is morally what?
4. What year did Nathaniel Branden write his essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?"
5. Rand believes that altruism has destroyed the concept of authentic __________ among men.
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)