|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, "The Monument Builders," Ayn Rand (1962).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which term is defined as "a manifestation of helplessness, of self-loathing and of the desire for the unearned?"
(a) Power planning.
(b) Power lust.
(c) Self preservation.
(d) Self affliction.
2. Which major historical event ended just two decades before the essay, "The Monument Builders" was written?
(a) The Cold War.
(b) World War II.
(c) World War I.
(d) The Korean Conflict.
3. Complete the sentence: In order to act in self interest, man must refuse to sacrifice a ________ value for a _______ one.
(a) Higher, lower.
(b) Better, worse.
(c) Lower, higher.
(d) Worse, better.
4. According to Rand, a person who does not attempt to define what is right or wrong in a given situation, and acts as a mixture of the two is morally what?
5. What word does Rand use in "The Cult of Moral Grayness" to describe the common trend for people to believe there are not "blacks" and "whites," only grays?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Rand, what does an act of good will require in the eyes of an altruist?
2. In what year was "Atlas Shrugged" published?
3. What does Rand claim about the existence of compromise?
4. According to the principles of selfishness, what would be the correct route for convincing an employer that you are the proper candidate for a job?
5. What basis are you acting on If you audition for a Broadway show, you are a poor singer, but you have always have wanted to sing?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)