|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, "The Monument Builders," Ayn Rand (1962).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Finish this argument as Rand presents it: X is ___________; therefore, his argument is false.
(c) Too religious.
2. According to the principles of selfishness, what would be the correct route for convincing an employer that you are the proper candidate for a job?
(a) Flatter your prospective employer.
(b) Explain your competence.
(c) Tell the employer of your competitor's incompetence.
(d) Only apply for a job in which you are extremely over-qualified.
3. Denying an individual his right to property is synonymous with denying him his right to _______.
4. No one ever really sacrifices oneself because every direct action is motivated by a person's desire. What does Branden say about this statement?
(a) That it is faulty.
(b) That it is absolutely correct.
(c) That is needs to be proven.
(d) That it is absolutely incorrect.
5. According to Branden, what do values in the context of ethics guide?
(a) A man's actions only.
(b) A man's life.
(c) A man's choice only.
(d) A man's actions and choices.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ayn Rand's last work of fiction?
2. What notion does Branden attempt to refute in his essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish"?
3. Which term is defined as "a manifestation of helplessness, of self-loathing and of the desire for the unearned?"
4. Which of the following is not included in the hierarchy Rand gives in the objectivist evaluation of committing an act of good will?
5. According to Rand, without these two things there can be no gray.
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)