|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, "The Monument Builders," Ayn Rand (1962).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What concept is mentioned once in the book that according to Rand, largely influences collectivist, Western thought?
2. What basis are you acting on if you audition for a Broadway show, after wanting to become a singer, you are an extremely competent singer, and you have performed on stage before?
3. According to the principles of selfishness, what would be the correct route for convincing an employer that you are the proper candidate for a job?
(a) Explain your competence.
(b) Tell the employer of your competitor's incompetence.
(c) Flatter your prospective employer.
(d) Only apply for a job in which you are extremely over-qualified.
4. According to Rand, what does an act of good will require in the eyes of an altruist?
5. Which of the following is not included in the hierarchy Rand gives in the objectivist evaluation of committing an act of good will?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Rand, what does an act of good will require in the eyes of the objectivist?
2. Rand believes that altruism has destroyed the concept of authentic __________ among men.
3. Which term is defined as "a manifestation of helplessness, of self-loathing and of the desire for the unearned?"
4. In what year was "Atlas Shrugged" published?
5. Rand believes that because of altruism, what is the only reason people help others?
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)