|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the movement created by the author aim to raise awareness of and bring an end to?
2. What kind of accent does the speaker of the monologue "The Flood" have?
3. Where does the vagina fact quote from when discussing women's roles in the witch trials?
4. Apart from having their clitorises removed, what does a newspaper article say was also a common surgery involved in genital mutilation?
5. What weapon of war does the author wish to raise awareness of in the introductions to "My Vagina was a Village"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does "Woman: An Intimate Geography" describe the vagina?
2. Describe Gloria Steinem's discussion about female genitalia in the beginning of the Foreword.
3. How does Gloria Steinem describe the religious ties female genitalia has in India?
4. What does the author note at the end of the Preface regarding the monologues?
5. How does the author describe the way rape was used as a weapon of war in Bosnia?
6. How does a woman describe the hair around her vagina and its role in her relationship with her husband in the monologue "Hair"?
7. How was the last clitoridectomy performed in the United States described in the book?
8. What is the nature of the quote used at the beginning of "The Vagina Workshop"?
9. How does the author describe the affects of being raped as a child?
10. What is the purpose of the workshop discussed in "The Vagina Workshop"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The subject of birth is fully examined in the book, namely in the monologue "I Was There in the Room". What connection does the author say that the vagina and the heart have that she realized after witnessing the birth of her granddaughter?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the author's portrayal of war in the play and the impact it has on the characters discussed in the monologues. What impact does the war have on the women living in the regions where the war was going on, according to the author's portrayal of the Bosnian war victims in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Lesbianism is a theme heavily discussed throughout the book, especially in monologues like "The Woman that Loved to Make Vaginas Happy" and "The Little Coochie Snorcher that Could ". Compare and contrast the portrayals of lesbianism in these two monologues and discuss what reason the author had for creating juxtaposition between these two lesbian speakers.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)