|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who advises the woman in the introduction to "The Flood", who had never seen her vagina, to take time and find her clitoris?
2. When does the author say she was raped, in the Preface?
3. What is described as a bundle of nerves in the book?
4. What does the investigator find to be evidence that a woman was a witch in the vagina fact?
5. What does the author say triggered change in the view of women across the world?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author say she was inspired to interview female victims of war in "My Vagina was My Village"?
2. Describe Gloria Steinem's discussion about female genitalia in the beginning of the Foreword.
3. What is the story of the 70-year-old woman described in "The Flood"?
4. How does the author describe V-Day activities in the introduction?
5. How does the author describe the affects of being raped as a child?
6. What does a woman claim her vagina wants at the end of "My Angry Vagina"?
7. What does the author note at the end of the Preface regarding the monologues?
8. Why does the author believe simply having a vagina makes someone a target for violence?
9. How does the author describe the way rape was used as a weapon of war in Bosnia?
10. What conclusion does the woman who is made to shave her private parts come to regarding the purpose of genital hair in "Hair"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In monologues like "Reclaiming Cunt" and "The Little Coochie Snorcher that Could", it is clear that the author has exhibited the great power words can have. Part 1.) What argument might the author be making about words based on her use of such vulgar language in many parts of the book? Part 2.) What might the author want for readers to learn about the power words can have over others, based on her use of them in the book, and what might she be hoping for others to do with that power?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role menstruation plays in the book. What place does menstruation have in the creation of the female identity, according to the monologue "When I was Twelve My Mother Slapped me"?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's use of personification in the book, especially in the descriptions of the vagina. How does the author make the vagina into a character in the book, and how is it humanized?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)