|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Others believe that telling and supporting fairy tales may encourage a child to do what?
2. In the story who is the wolf's basic enemy?
3. Where are the main characters sent as a solution?
4. What animal had more sense than the main character(s) in the story?
5. Children are most likely to express these new feelings in what way?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the children gain from their ordeal with the witch?
2. How does Bettelheim separate the Oedipus Complex between boys and girls?
3. What is the reason that the number three is significant in fairy tales?
4. Why do some cultures insist on outlawing fairy tales?
5. Describe the realistic beginning of "Hansel and Gretel."
6. Why does Bettelheim say that fairy tales are meant to be told, not read?
7. What did the birds know about the situation that the children did not?
8. What is the basis of each version of Little Red Riding Hood? What is the main difference?
9. Which parts of the mind are addressed? Who studied this concept?
10. What is the moral involved with the children eating the gingerbread house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some adults have expressed concerns about the lack of reality and truthfulness in fairy tales. Write an essay discussing the level of truth in fairy tales. How does fantasy compare to lying? Why is one preferable to the other? Are they the same thing? How might a child take the fantasy and turn it into a habit of lying? How would it affect the child's life? How would it affect the parents? What stories seen in modern media could be viewed as fantasy and lies?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the purpose and use of fairy tales in these areas of development in a child's life such as intellect, family relationships, social interaction, skill sets, fantasizing, autonomy, and maturity. Write a 250-word essay on each item and give examples and references to the stories used in the book.
Essay Topic 3
The history of the Brothers Grimm is somewhat controversial. Write a biography on each brother and his input regarding the collections of fairy tales. Explore the use of plagiarism, copyright infringement, and misrepresentation. Include the contributions of the brothers and how their collections affected their personal and professional lives.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)