|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Separation from one's family helps a child to develop which trait?
2. What type of material was used to make Red's hood?
3. Who supposedly wrote the original version of the story?
4. In traditional roles, the father acts as which of the following?
5. Which body part of the wolf's is not mentioned in either version of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the birds know about the situation that the children did not?
2. Which parts of the mind are addressed? Who studied this concept?
3. What is the result of this change? How do the children view their mother?
4. What examples are given by Bettelheim in regards to oral fixation and the two stories?
5. Others object to the immersion in a world of fantasy. Why?
6. What is the opinion of the fantasies as they regard truth?
7. How does Bettelheim separate the Oedipus Complex between boys and girls?
8. What is the underlying moral of the story?
9. Why do some people object to fairy tales in relation to reality?
10. Why do some cultures insist on outlawing fairy tales?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one fairy tale from the book and modernize it according to the previous method. You may add in elements rather than subtracting them, as long as they reflect modern society and are appropriate for a child. Explain and change and its intended effect.
Essay Topic 2
Research and find an ancient myth of your choice. Convert the myth into a modern day fairy tale. Use Tolkien's outline for creating a successful story as well as Bettelheim's additions to the outline. What are the biggest changes that will need to be made? Which are the easiest? Which are the most difficult? How did the story change?
Essay Topic 3
Bettelheim addresses the "Pleasure Principle Versus Reality Principle." Discuss this principle and its purpose. One tale referred to in the text is the story of the Ant and the Grasshopper. Explain Bettelheim's insights regarding the principle to this particular fable. Also relate the author's thoughts on the principle in relation to The Three Little Pigs. Compare and contrast the two stories and how the principle applies to each. Which is most effective?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)