|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first item offered to Jack in exchange for the cow?
2. Many parents who are considered to be ________ dislike fairy tales.
3. Name one fairy tale in which this number is present.
4. What food is related to this particular fairy tale?
5. In the story who is the wolf's basic enemy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the children gain from their ordeal with the witch?
2. Others object to the immersion in a world of fantasy. Why?
3. Why is the mother seen as the villain in the story even though both parents have agreed on a solution?
4. Why does Bettelheim say that fairy tales are meant to be told, not read?
5. The number three may represent what family relationships?
6. What is different about the existence of the targeted parent in the boy's story?
7. What is the main difference in Perrault's version?
8. What is the result of this change? How do the children view their mother?
9. Why do some people object to fairy tales in relation to reality?
10. What did the birds know about the situation that the children did not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bettelheim was a child psychologist that specialized in working with autistic children. Examine Bettelheim's career and involvement with autism. How would an autistic child view fairy tales differently than a non-autistic child? What parts of the fairy tale would have the greatest impact on the child?
Essay Topic 2
Some parents are concerned that a child will become so intrigued with fairy tales that he will begin to believe in and dabble in the magic arts. Discuss the magic arts as they apply to fairy tales. What are magic arts? What might a child want to try? Is any one of the arts dangerous? How might it go against a family's structure or moral code? Have you ever dabbled in the magic arts? Explain. Which magic arts would be most commonly investigated by a curious child? What do you think would happen?
Essay Topic 3
The section "Fairy Tale Versus Myth" carries the subtitle "Optimism Versus Pessimism." What is discussed in this section? What two great philosophers weighed in on the topic? What is the difference between myths today and in that era? Explain how the men viewed myths. How did myth tie into wisdom in the eyes of a child? How is the concept of humanity explored? What is the general opinion of psychologists on this topic? How do their opinions. Compare to those belonging to the philosophers?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)