|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Many people believe that the reference is purely _________________.
2. The youngest sibling may be portrayed as what?
3. Which body part of the wolf's is not mentioned in either version of the story?
4. What is the first fairy tale mentioned in this section?
5. What is expected of the mother in this situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the basis of each version of Little Red Riding Hood? What is the main difference?
2. What is the name and crux of the original tale regarding Jack and the Beanstalk?
3. Why is the mother seen as the villain in the story even though both parents have agreed on a solution?
4. What did the birds know about the situation that the children did not?
5. Explain the opinions of psychoanalysts in regards to fairy tales and violence.
6. What is the underlying moral of the story?
7. What do the children gain from their ordeal with the witch?
8. How does Bettelheim separate the Oedipus Complex between boys and girls?
9. What is different about the existence of the targeted parent in the boy's story?
10. What is the moral involved with the children eating the gingerbread house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fairy tales are notorious for their happy endings where the evil are punished and the virtuous are rewarded. Why is it necessary for there to be a "happily ever after?" What exactly is "happily ever after?" Is it a realistic or fanciful concept? Why do other fanciful stories purposely have tragic endings? How does the happy ending affect a child's personality? How do the endings typically infiltrate the child's dream life? What might happen if a story did not have a happy ending? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The section "Fairy Tale Versus Myth" carries the subtitle "Optimism Versus Pessimism." What is discussed in this section? What two great philosophers weighed in on the topic? What is the difference between myths today and in that era? Explain how the men viewed myths. How did myth tie into wisdom in the eyes of a child? How is the concept of humanity explored? What is the general opinion of psychologists on this topic? How do their opinions. Compare to those belonging to the philosophers?
Essay Topic 3
The history of the Brothers Grimm is somewhat controversial. Write a biography on each brother and his input regarding the collections of fairy tales. Explore the use of plagiarism, copyright infringement, and misrepresentation. Include the contributions of the brothers and how their collections affected their personal and professional lives.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)