|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal is seen at the ogre's house and thought to be most valuable?
2. What is the original title of Jack and the Beanstalk?
3. The father may be portrayed as what?
4. Bettelheim says it would be easy to refer to the parents of this area as _________________.
5. What number is significant in fairy tales?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the realistic beginning of "Hansel and Gretel."
2. How does Bettelheim separate the Oedipus Complex between boys and girls?
3. Why is the mother seen as the villain in the story even though both parents have agreed on a solution?
4. The number three may represent what family relationships?
5. How does Hansel exhibit denial when going into the forest?
6. What is the main difference in Perrault's version?
7. Why does Bettelheim say that fairy tales are meant to be told, not read?
8. What do the children gain from their ordeal with the witch?
9. What is the result of this change? How do the children view their mother?
10. What is different about the existence of the targeted parent in the boy's story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bettelheim addresses the "Pleasure Principle Versus Reality Principle." Discuss this principle and its purpose. One tale referred to in the text is the story of the Ant and the Grasshopper. Explain Bettelheim's insights regarding the principle to this particular fable. Also relate the author's thoughts on the principle in relation to The Three Little Pigs. Compare and contrast the two stories and how the principle applies to each. Which is most effective?
Essay Topic 2
Some parents are concerned that a child will become so intrigued with fairy tales that he will begin to believe in and dabble in the magic arts. Discuss the magic arts as they apply to fairy tales. What are magic arts? What might a child want to try? Is any one of the arts dangerous? How might it go against a family's structure or moral code? Have you ever dabbled in the magic arts? Explain. Which magic arts would be most commonly investigated by a curious child? What do you think would happen?
Essay Topic 3
There is a great deal of information provided regarding the Oedipus Complex. Discuss the indications of this psychological issue as it applies to girls, boys, and parents. Discuss the length of the phase and if a child ever "grows out" of it. Also compare and contrast the opinions of Freud, Jung and Bettelheim regarding the topic. State your opinion on the work and beliefs of each man.
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)