|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bettelheim says it would be easy to refer to the parents of this area as _________________.
2. What animal is seen at the ogre's house and thought to be most valuable?
3. In traditional roles, the father acts as which of the following?
4. Many people believe that the reference is purely _________________.
5. The situation encourages to seek what from the father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hansel exhibit denial when going into the forest?
2. Why does Bettelheim say that fairy tales are meant to be told, not read?
3. What is the underlying moral of the story?
4. Why do some people object to fairy tales in relation to reality?
5. What is ironic about outlawing fairy tales and the attitudes of the Victorian age?
6. What did the birds know about the situation that the children did not?
7. What is the name and crux of the original tale regarding Jack and the Beanstalk?
8. What do the children gain from their ordeal with the witch?
9. Which parts of the mind are addressed? Who studied this concept?
10. Describe the realistic beginning of "Hansel and Gretel."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some parents are concerned that a child will become so intrigued with fairy tales that he will begin to believe in and dabble in the magic arts. Discuss the magic arts as they apply to fairy tales. What are magic arts? What might a child want to try? Is any one of the arts dangerous? How might it go against a family's structure or moral code? Have you ever dabbled in the magic arts? Explain. Which magic arts would be most commonly investigated by a curious child? What do you think would happen?
Essay Topic 2
There is a great deal of information provided regarding the Oedipus Complex. Discuss the indications of this psychological issue as it applies to girls, boys, and parents. Discuss the length of the phase and if a child ever "grows out" of it. Also compare and contrast the opinions of Freud, Jung and Bettelheim regarding the topic. State your opinion on the work and beliefs of each man.
Essay Topic 3
Bettelheim was a child psychologist that specialized in working with autistic children. Examine Bettelheim's career and involvement with autism. How would an autistic child view fairy tales differently than a non-autistic child? What parts of the fairy tale would have the greatest impact on the child?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)