|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bettelheim believes that the moral in the early version is ________.
2. In one version, what happens to Red and the grandmother?
3. Others believe that telling and supporting fairy tales may encourage a child to do what?
4. According to this section of the text, some cultures have done what to fairy tales?
5. What item is give to the Queen at the end of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the moral involved with the children eating the gingerbread house?
2. How does Bettelheim separate the Oedipus Complex between boys and girls?
3. Why do some people object to fairy tales in relation to reality?
4. The number three may represent what family relationships?
5. Describe the realistic beginning of "Hansel and Gretel."
6. What did the birds know about the situation that the children did not?
7. Why does Bettelheim say that fairy tales are meant to be told, not read?
8. Why is the mother seen as the villain in the story even though both parents have agreed on a solution?
9. What is the reason that the number three is significant in fairy tales?
10. What do the children gain from their ordeal with the witch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a great deal of information provided regarding the Oedipus Complex. Discuss the indications of this psychological issue as it applies to girls, boys, and parents. Discuss the length of the phase and if a child ever "grows out" of it. Also compare and contrast the opinions of Freud, Jung and Bettelheim regarding the topic. State your opinion on the work and beliefs of each man.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one fairy tale from the book and modernize it according to the previous method. You may add in elements rather than subtracting them, as long as they reflect modern society and are appropriate for a child. Explain and change and its intended effect.
Essay Topic 3
The history of the Brothers Grimm is somewhat controversial. Write a biography on each brother and his input regarding the collections of fairy tales. Explore the use of plagiarism, copyright infringement, and misrepresentation. Include the contributions of the brothers and how their collections affected their personal and professional lives.
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)