|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bettelheim states that the forest represents what in the story?
2. What number is significant in fairy tales?
3. In one version, what happens to Red and the grandmother?
4. What activity causes the Queen to die?
5. What is the first fairy tale mentioned in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bettelheim say that fairy tales are meant to be told, not read?
2. Describe the realistic beginning of "Hansel and Gretel."
3. What is the basis of each version of Little Red Riding Hood? What is the main difference?
4. The number three may represent what family relationships?
5. What is different about the existence of the targeted parent in the boy's story?
6. Why is the mother seen as the villain in the story even though both parents have agreed on a solution?
7. What is ironic about outlawing fairy tales and the attitudes of the Victorian age?
8. What did the birds know about the situation that the children did not?
9. Why do some cultures insist on outlawing fairy tales?
10. Why do some people object to fairy tales in relation to reality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bettelheim was a child psychologist that specialized in working with autistic children. Examine Bettelheim's career and involvement with autism. How would an autistic child view fairy tales differently than a non-autistic child? What parts of the fairy tale would have the greatest impact on the child?
Essay Topic 2
Bettelheim addresses the "Pleasure Principle Versus Reality Principle." Discuss this principle and its purpose. One tale referred to in the text is the story of the Ant and the Grasshopper. Explain Bettelheim's insights regarding the principle to this particular fable. Also relate the author's thoughts on the principle in relation to The Three Little Pigs. Compare and contrast the two stories and how the principle applies to each. Which is most effective?
Essay Topic 3
The history of the Brothers Grimm is somewhat controversial. Write a biography on each brother and his input regarding the collections of fairy tales. Explore the use of plagiarism, copyright infringement, and misrepresentation. Include the contributions of the brothers and how their collections affected their personal and professional lives.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)