|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The moral of the story, particularly in the first version, is ________________.
2. Where is Jack sent with the family cow?
3. Separation may also cause what kind of emotions in a child?
4. The situation encourages to seek what from the father?
5. Many parents who are considered to be ________ dislike fairy tales.
Short Essay Questions
1. Which parts of the mind are addressed? Who studied this concept?
2. What is the basis of each version of Little Red Riding Hood? What is the main difference?
3. Why does Bettelheim say that fairy tales are meant to be told, not read?
4. Why do some people object to fairy tales in relation to reality?
5. What is the moral involved with the children eating the gingerbread house?
6. How does Hansel exhibit denial when going into the forest?
7. How does Bettelheim separate the Oedipus Complex between boys and girls?
8. What is ironic about outlawing fairy tales and the attitudes of the Victorian age?
9. The number three may represent what family relationships?
10. Others object to the immersion in a world of fantasy. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Benevolence is one recurring subject in the text. The author discussed how many characters and fairy tales lead a child to believe that there is always a benevolent force that will come to his aid. Additionally, it is through strength, fortitude and perhaps the intervention of a benevolent force that allows the hero to prevail and for the characters live happily ever after. Discuss benevolence. What could be seen as a benevolent force in your life? What are the moral and religious connotations involved in the presence of a benevolent force? How might it affect a child without a spiritual or religious upbringing? Would it be as effective? Does the presence of a benevolent force in the story bring hope or unrealistic expectations?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the purpose and use of fairy tales in these areas of development in a child's life such as intellect, family relationships, social interaction, skill sets, fantasizing, autonomy, and maturity. Write a 250-word essay on each item and give examples and references to the stories used in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the origins of fairy tales as presented in the book. When was the majority of the tales created? Where? By whom were the stories written? Was there one culture responsible for most or all of them? Explain. How can the origin be proven? Also explore the use of oral tradition in storytelling in various cultures and eras.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)