|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Both philosophers believed that myth equaled what?
2. At what age do fairy tales begin to have real meaning for a child?
3. An adult may see the relationship between the wolf and the grandmother as _________________.
4. Some parents and teachers have not allowed children access to fairy tales because they are _________________.
5. What does the fisherman find in his net?
Short Essay Questions
1. What example is used regarding the differentiation between fantasy and reality?
2. What are the two developmental crises referred to by the author?
3. When does the oedipal period begin to appear in a child's life?
4. How is a supreme being or other force worked into fairy tales?
5. What type of character is often seen as the representation of good versus evil?
6. Fairy tales encourage the belief that there is always something waiting at the end of the story. What is it? Why is it given?
7. Bruno Bettelheim quotes Charles Dickens on fairy tales. What does Dickens say?
8. Who is Louis MacNeice and what does he say about fairy tales?
9. Why are fairy tales important to the development of a child's mind?
10. Why were these things used? What did they teach to children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The history of the Brothers Grimm is somewhat controversial. Write a biography on each brother and his input regarding the collections of fairy tales. Explore the use of plagiarism, copyright infringement, and misrepresentation. Include the contributions of the brothers and how their collections affected their personal and professional lives.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the origins of fairy tales as presented in the book. When was the majority of the tales created? Where? By whom were the stories written? Was there one culture responsible for most or all of them? Explain. How can the origin be proven? Also explore the use of oral tradition in storytelling in various cultures and eras.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the purpose and use of fairy tales in these areas of development in a child's life such as intellect, family relationships, social interaction, skill sets, fantasizing, autonomy, and maturity. Write a 250-word essay on each item and give examples and references to the stories used in the book.
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)