|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous doctor is well known for his studies on that particular character?
2. At what age does this period begin?
3. What fairy tale character was the writer's favorite?
4. What is the first story referred to by the Brothers Grimm?
5. What phase of a child's development is addressed by the author?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the difference of fairy tales in various cultures. Are they all considered to be fairy tales?
2. What are the two developmental crises referred to by the author?
3. Why are fairy tales important to the development of a child's mind?
4. What story does Bettelheim refer to regarding the introduction of duality?
5. How does Dickens' statement relate to the conflict of allowing children to experience fairy tales?
6. Why have some parents and educators outlawed fairy tales?
7. What type of character is often seen as the representation of good versus evil?
8. When does the oedipal period begin to appear in a child's life?
9. How does a child view the wolf in Little Red Riding Hood?
10. What is the purpose of being able to divide the stepmother's personality into two separate entities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the process of altering and simplifying fairy tales. Who decided the standard by which the fairy tales should be changed? What were the moral and psychological requirements?
Essay Topic 2
Bettelheim addresses the "Pleasure Principle Versus Reality Principle." Discuss this principle and its purpose. One tale referred to in the text is the story of the Ant and the Grasshopper. Explain Bettelheim's insights regarding the principle to this particular fable. Also relate the author's thoughts on the principle in relation to The Three Little Pigs. Compare and contrast the two stories and how the principle applies to each. Which is most effective?
Essay Topic 3
The history of the Brothers Grimm is somewhat controversial. Write a biography on each brother and his input regarding the collections of fairy tales. Explore the use of plagiarism, copyright infringement, and misrepresentation. Include the contributions of the brothers and how their collections affected their personal and professional lives.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)