|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous character has been studied by psychologists and psychiatrists?
2. At what age do fairy tales begin to have real meaning for a child?
3. What poet is referred to regarding the previous statement?
4. What do the Norse refer to as their version of fairy tales?
5. Historically speaking, a child's mind was formed by all but which one of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Historically speaking, what things most often formed a child's intellect?
2. What are the two developmental crises referred to by the author?
3. What is the difference between an adult that has no experience with fairy tales and a child who does?
4. Why have some parents and educators outlawed fairy tales?
5. Why were these things used? What did they teach to children?
6. What has often been done to remove violence from fairy tales? What is the result?
7. What use do fairy tales have in the life of a child?
8. What story does Bettelheim refer to regarding the introduction of duality?
9. Fairy tales encourage the belief that there is always something waiting at the end of the story. What is it? Why is it given?
10. How does a child learn to deal with problems through fairy tales?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the purpose and use of fairy tales in these areas of development in a child's life such as intellect, family relationships, social interaction, skill sets, fantasizing, autonomy, and maturity. Write a 250-word essay on each item and give examples and references to the stories used in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Bettelheim addresses the "Pleasure Principle Versus Reality Principle." Discuss this principle and its purpose. One tale referred to in the text is the story of the Ant and the Grasshopper. Explain Bettelheim's insights regarding the principle to this particular fable. Also relate the author's thoughts on the principle in relation to The Three Little Pigs. Compare and contrast the two stories and how the principle applies to each. Which is most effective?
Essay Topic 3
There is a great deal of information provided regarding the Oedipus Complex. Discuss the indications of this psychological issue as it applies to girls, boys, and parents. Discuss the length of the phase and if a child ever "grows out" of it. Also compare and contrast the opinions of Freud, Jung and Bettelheim regarding the topic. State your opinion on the work and beliefs of each man.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)