|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first famous writer to be quoted in chapter one?
2. Disregarding a personality can be equivalent to discarding what?
3. At what age do fairy tales begin to have real meaning for a child?
4. What is the first fairy tale mentioned in this section?
5. What phase of a child's development is addressed by the author?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a child learn to deal with problems through fairy tales?
2. How does Dickens' statement relate to the conflict of allowing children to experience fairy tales?
3. How is a supreme being or other force worked into fairy tales?
4. What is the difference between an adult that has no experience with fairy tales and a child who does?
5. What has often been done to remove violence from fairy tales? What is the result?
6. What are the two developmental crises referred to by the author?
7. How does a child view the wolf in Little Red Riding Hood?
8. Why are fairy tales important to the development of a child's mind?
9. What type of character is often seen as the representation of good versus evil?
10. Historically speaking, what things most often formed a child's intellect?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the purpose and use of fairy tales in these areas of development in a child's life such as intellect, family relationships, social interaction, skill sets, fantasizing, autonomy, and maturity. Write a 250-word essay on each item and give examples and references to the stories used in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Many fairy tales have sexual connotations. This involves everything from the oedipal influence to the avoidance of temptation and compromising situations through to preparing a child for puberty and eventual adulthood. Write a 1000-word essay on the use of sexual connotations in fairy tales. What is considered to be helpful? What might be harmful? What might be considered to be inappropriate? Use examples.
Essay Topic 3
Some cultures have chosen to outlaw fairy tales. Give a list of which cultures are most well known for this practice. Who outlawed the stories? Is it legal? Could it happen in the United States? Explain. Under what circumstances and authority were the stories banned? Which was the most famous one banned or changed according to this school of thought? How did parents and educators react? How would you react?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)