|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age do fairy tales begin to have real meaning for a child?
2. When faced with ambivalence, a child must learn to understand which emotion is the most:
3. What famous character has been studied by psychologists and psychiatrists?
4. One or more of the main characters is related to which food?
5. Fairy tales most often deal with what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Historically speaking, what things most often formed a child's intellect?
2. What are the two developmental crises referred to by the author?
3. When do fairy tales truly begin to make sense to a child?
4. How is a supreme being or other force worked into fairy tales?
5. Fairy tales encourage the belief that there is always something waiting at the end of the story. What is it? Why is it given?
6. Why are fairy tales important to the development of a child's mind?
7. What example is used regarding the differentiation between fantasy and reality?
8. When does the oedipal period begin to appear in a child's life?
9. Why have some parents and educators outlawed fairy tales?
10. Why were these things used? What did they teach to children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a beloved fairy tale from your childhood. Dissect the story in the same vein as the stories are analyzed in the book. Examine the various aspects, including metaphors, influences, oedipal references, moral values, psychological implications, and duplicity. Explain each area. Does the dissection change your views on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Research and find an ancient myth of your choice. Convert the myth into a modern day fairy tale. Use Tolkien's outline for creating a successful story as well as Bettelheim's additions to the outline. What are the biggest changes that will need to be made? Which are the easiest? Which are the most difficult? How did the story change?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the process of altering and simplifying fairy tales. Who decided the standard by which the fairy tales should be changed? What were the moral and psychological requirements?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)