|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A child is unable to understand _________________.
2. Fairy tales help children to integrate various aspects of _________________.
3. Fairy tales also teach that one will be rewarded if one does not attempt to avoid what?
4. What is the negative aspect related to the character(s)?
5. What famous character has been studied by psychologists and psychiatrists?
Short Essay Questions
1. Fairy tales encourage the belief that there is always something waiting at the end of the story. What is it? Why is it given?
2. What example is used regarding the differentiation between fantasy and reality?
3. Explain the difference of fairy tales in various cultures. Are they all considered to be fairy tales?
4. Why were these things used? What did they teach to children?
5. Why are fairy tales important to the development of a child's mind?
6. What did Dr. Sigmund Freud think about the purpose behind the story of Oedpius?
7. How does a child learn to deal with problems through fairy tales?
8. How does a child view the wolf in Little Red Riding Hood?
9. What use do fairy tales have in the life of a child?
10. What is the general rule of continuity in a fairy tale? Why is it important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fairy tales are notorious for their happy endings where the evil are punished and the virtuous are rewarded. Why is it necessary for there to be a "happily ever after?" What exactly is "happily ever after?" Is it a realistic or fanciful concept? Why do other fanciful stories purposely have tragic endings? How does the happy ending affect a child's personality? How do the endings typically infiltrate the child's dream life? What might happen if a story did not have a happy ending? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Study Charles Perrault's version of "Little Red Cap" with the version of "Little Red Riding Hood" made most popular by the Brothers Grimm. Examine how the cultural differences and societal values changed the basic impact of the story. Also examine the two different endings. How does each impact a child on a psychological level? Which is the most beneficial for a child's development? Cite references from psychological journals to back up your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the origins of fairy tales as presented in the book. When was the majority of the tales created? Where? By whom were the stories written? Was there one culture responsible for most or all of them? Explain. How can the origin be proven? Also explore the use of oral tradition in storytelling in various cultures and eras.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)