|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. An adult may take a childhood fairy tale and turn it into what?
2. What types of issues are most often addressed in fairy tales?
3. Who believed that fairy tales led the listener to look for a higher sense of self?
4. A person's dreams are typically formed on what level?
5. Which two philosophers are referred to in "Fairy Tale Versus Myth?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Others object to the immersion in a world of fantasy. Why?
2. Why is the mother seen as the villain in the story even though both parents have agreed on a solution?
3. Explain the opinions of psychoanalysts in regards to fairy tales and violence.
4. From what culture did Cinderella originate? What is the most likely reference to the culture?
5. What example is used regarding the differentiation between fantasy and reality?
6. What did Dr. Sigmund Freud think about the purpose behind the story of Oedpius?
7. How does a child learn to deal with problems through fairy tales?
8. What do the children gain from their ordeal with the witch?
9. What story does Bettelheim refer to regarding the introduction of duality?
10. What is the basis of each version of Little Red Riding Hood? What is the main difference?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bettelheim addresses the "Pleasure Principle Versus Reality Principle." Discuss this principle and its purpose. One tale referred to in the text is the story of the Ant and the Grasshopper. Explain Bettelheim's insights regarding the principle to this particular fable. Also relate the author's thoughts on the principle in relation to The Three Little Pigs. Compare and contrast the two stories and how the principle applies to each. Which is most effective?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the process of altering and simplifying fairy tales. Who decided the standard by which the fairy tales should be changed? What were the moral and psychological requirements?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the origins of fairy tales as presented in the book. When was the majority of the tales created? Where? By whom were the stories written? Was there one culture responsible for most or all of them? Explain. How can the origin be proven? Also explore the use of oral tradition in storytelling in various cultures and eras.
This section contains 1,907 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)