|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fairy tale character was the writer's favorite?
2. A person with no experience in fairy tales may not understand the difference between which two objects?
3. What is the first story referred to by the Brothers Grimm?
4. Who speaks to the fisherman?
5. It was predicted that Oedipus would kill who?
Short Essay Questions
1. From what culture did Cinderella originate? What is the most likely reference to the culture?
2. Why does Bettelheim say that fairy tales are meant to be told, not read?
3. What is the personality of the step-mother and her issue with Snow White?
4. What do the children gain from their ordeal with the witch?
5. What is the opinion of the fantasies as they regard truth?
6. Historically speaking, what things most often formed a child's intellect?
7. Bruno Bettelheim quotes Charles Dickens on fairy tales. What does Dickens say?
8. Fairy tales encourage the belief that there is always something waiting at the end of the story. What is it? Why is it given?
9. How does a child view the wolf in Little Red Riding Hood?
10. Who is Louis MacNeice and what does he say about fairy tales?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The section "Fairy Tale Versus Myth" carries the subtitle "Optimism Versus Pessimism." What is discussed in this section? What two great philosophers weighed in on the topic? What is the difference between myths today and in that era? Explain how the men viewed myths. How did myth tie into wisdom in the eyes of a child? How is the concept of humanity explored? What is the general opinion of psychologists on this topic? How do their opinions. Compare to those belonging to the philosophers?
Essay Topic 2
The history of the Brothers Grimm is somewhat controversial. Write a biography on each brother and his input regarding the collections of fairy tales. Explore the use of plagiarism, copyright infringement, and misrepresentation. Include the contributions of the brothers and how their collections affected their personal and professional lives.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the process of altering and simplifying fairy tales. Who decided the standard by which the fairy tales should be changed? What were the moral and psychological requirements?
This section contains 1,871 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)