Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Religious parables gave the child a view of all of the following except for which one?
2. An adult may see the relationship between the wolf and the grandmother as _________________.
3. What famous doctor is well known for his studies on that particular character?
4. Regardless of the content of the story, what two cultures call all such stories fairy tales?
5. What types of issues are most often addressed in fairy tales?
Short Essay Questions
1. Many people find the role of the seven dwarfs peculiar. What does the presence of the dwarfs represent?
2. From what culture did Cinderella originate? What is the most likely reference to the culture?
3. What examples are given by Bettelheim in regards to oral fixation and the two stories?
4. When does the oedipal period begin to appear in a child's life?
5. What is the first attempt made on Snow White's life?
6. What is the reason that the number three is significant in fairy tales?
7. What is the difference between an adult that has no experience with fairy tales and a child who does?
8. The number three may represent what family relationships?
9. Why does Bettelheim say that fairy tales are meant to be told, not read?
10. When do fairy tales truly begin to make sense to a child?
Essay Topic 1
Choose a beloved fairy tale from your childhood. Dissect the story in the same vein as the stories are analyzed in the book. Examine the various aspects, including metaphors, influences, oedipal references, moral values, psychological implications, and duplicity. Explain each area. Does the dissection change your views on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Bettelheim addresses the "Pleasure Principle Versus Reality Principle." Discuss this principle and its purpose. One tale referred to in the text is the story of the Ant and the Grasshopper. Explain Bettelheim's insights regarding the principle to this particular fable. Also relate the author's thoughts on the principle in relation to The Three Little Pigs. Compare and contrast the two stories and how the principle applies to each. Which is most effective?
Essay Topic 3
The history of the Brothers Grimm is somewhat controversial. Write a biography on each brother and his input regarding the collections of fairy tales. Explore the use of plagiarism, copyright infringement, and misrepresentation. Include the contributions of the brothers and how their collections affected their personal and professional lives.
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)