|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the villain in the first story?
2. These stories will often force the child to face what kind of crises?
3. It was predicted that Oedipus would kill who?
4. What story does the little girl relate to her mother?
5. The fisherman is called upon to use ______ to get out of a bad situation.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of being able to divide the stepmother's personality into two separate entities?
2. What is the difference between an adult that has no experience with fairy tales and a child who does?
3. What is the general rule of continuity in a fairy tale? Why is it important?
4. How is a supreme being or other force worked into fairy tales?
5. Why were these things used? What did they teach to children?
6. What are the two developmental crises referred to by the author?
7. How does a child view the wolf in Little Red Riding Hood?
8. Historically speaking, what things most often formed a child's intellect?
9. What has often been done to remove violence from fairy tales? What is the result?
10. Fairy tales encourage the belief that there is always something waiting at the end of the story. What is it? Why is it given?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the origins of fairy tales as presented in the book. When was the majority of the tales created? Where? By whom were the stories written? Was there one culture responsible for most or all of them? Explain. How can the origin be proven? Also explore the use of oral tradition in storytelling in various cultures and eras.
Essay Topic 2
Study Charles Perrault's version of "Little Red Cap" with the version of "Little Red Riding Hood" made most popular by the Brothers Grimm. Examine how the cultural differences and societal values changed the basic impact of the story. Also examine the two different endings. How does each impact a child on a psychological level? Which is the most beneficial for a child's development? Cite references from psychological journals to back up your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Bettelheim was a child psychologist that specialized in working with autistic children. Examine Bettelheim's career and involvement with autism. How would an autistic child view fairy tales differently than a non-autistic child? What parts of the fairy tale would have the greatest impact on the child?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)