|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it called when a person looks for the worst in everything?
2. Stories may also help children deal with what kind of family situation?
3. As a general rule, characters in fairy tales tend to be:
4. The downside of that personality may equate which of the following to a child?
5. In ancient times, stories were often fashioned from tales regarding _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. When do fairy tales truly begin to make sense to a child?
2. What type of character is often seen as the representation of good versus evil?
3. What is the purpose of being able to divide the stepmother's personality into two separate entities?
4. What example is used regarding the differentiation between fantasy and reality?
5. Why are fairy tales important to the development of a child's mind?
6. What did Dr. Sigmund Freud think about the purpose behind the story of Oedpius?
7. What has often been done to remove violence from fairy tales? What is the result?
8. Fairy tales encourage the belief that there is always something waiting at the end of the story. What is it? Why is it given?
9. How does a child learn to deal with problems through fairy tales?
10. When does the oedipal period begin to appear in a child's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The history of the Brothers Grimm is somewhat controversial. Write a biography on each brother and his input regarding the collections of fairy tales. Explore the use of plagiarism, copyright infringement, and misrepresentation. Include the contributions of the brothers and how their collections affected their personal and professional lives.
Essay Topic 2
Bettelheim was a child psychologist that specialized in working with autistic children. Examine Bettelheim's career and involvement with autism. How would an autistic child view fairy tales differently than a non-autistic child? What parts of the fairy tale would have the greatest impact on the child?
Essay Topic 3
There is a great deal of information provided regarding the Oedipus Complex. Discuss the indications of this psychological issue as it applies to girls, boys, and parents. Discuss the length of the phase and if a child ever "grows out" of it. Also compare and contrast the opinions of Freud, Jung and Bettelheim regarding the topic. State your opinion on the work and beliefs of each man.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)