|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The fisherman is called upon to use ______ to get out of a bad situation.
2. The downside of that personality may equate which of the following to a child?
3. An adult may see the relationship between the wolf and the grandmother as _________________.
4. Historically speaking, a child's mind was formed by all but which one of the following?
5. It is common for very different personalities to be present in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is a supreme being or other force worked into fairy tales?
2. Why are fairy tales important to the development of a child's mind?
3. How does a child learn to deal with problems through fairy tales?
4. When do fairy tales truly begin to make sense to a child?
5. What example is used regarding the differentiation between fantasy and reality?
6. What type of character is often seen as the representation of good versus evil?
7. Why have some parents and educators outlawed fairy tales?
8. What use do fairy tales have in the life of a child?
9. Fairy tales encourage the belief that there is always something waiting at the end of the story. What is it? Why is it given?
10. What is the purpose of being able to divide the stepmother's personality into two separate entities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fairy tales are notorious for their happy endings where the evil are punished and the virtuous are rewarded. Why is it necessary for there to be a "happily ever after?" What exactly is "happily ever after?" Is it a realistic or fanciful concept? Why do other fanciful stories purposely have tragic endings? How does the happy ending affect a child's personality? How do the endings typically infiltrate the child's dream life? What might happen if a story did not have a happy ending? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The history of the Brothers Grimm is somewhat controversial. Write a biography on each brother and his input regarding the collections of fairy tales. Explore the use of plagiarism, copyright infringement, and misrepresentation. Include the contributions of the brothers and how their collections affected their personal and professional lives.
Essay Topic 3
Some cultures have chosen to outlaw fairy tales. Give a list of which cultures are most well known for this practice. Who outlawed the stories? Is it legal? Could it happen in the United States? Explain. Under what circumstances and authority were the stories banned? Which was the most famous one banned or changed according to this school of thought? How did parents and educators react? How would you react?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)