|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Religious parables gave the child a view of all of the following except for which one?
2. An adult may see the relationship between the wolf and the grandmother as _________________.
3. What famous doctor is well known for his studies on that particular character?
4. Regardless of the content of the story, what two cultures call all such stories fairy tales?
5. What types of issues are most often addressed in fairy tales?
Short Essay Questions
1. Many people find the role of the seven dwarfs peculiar. What does the presence of the dwarfs represent?
2. From what culture did Cinderella originate? What is the most likely reference to the culture?
3. What examples are given by Bettelheim in regards to oral fixation and the two stories?
4. When does the oedipal period begin to appear in a child's life?
5. What is the first attempt made on Snow White's life?
6. What is the reason that the number three is significant in fairy tales?
7. What is the difference between an adult that has no experience with fairy tales and a child who does?
8. The number three may represent what family relationships?
9. Why does Bettelheim say that fairy tales are meant to be told, not read?
10. When do fairy tales truly begin to make sense to a child?
Essay Topic 1
Some parents are concerned that a child will become so intrigued with fairy tales that he will begin to believe in and dabble in the magic arts. Discuss the magic arts as they apply to fairy tales. What are magic arts? What might a child want to try? Is any one of the arts dangerous? How might it go against a family's structure or moral code? Have you ever dabbled in the magic arts? Explain. Which magic arts would be most commonly investigated by a curious child? What do you think would happen?
Essay Topic 2
Study Charles Perrault's version of "Little Red Cap" with the version of "Little Red Riding Hood" made most popular by the Brothers Grimm. Examine how the cultural differences and societal values changed the basic impact of the story. Also examine the two different endings. How does each impact a child on a psychological level? Which is the most beneficial for a child's development? Cite references from psychological journals to back up your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Although some cultures find little if any difference between myths, fables, fairy tales, and religious parables, the author points out the differences. Compare and contrast these types of stories and how they affect various cultures.
This section contains 1,853 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)