|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some parents and teachers have not allowed children access to fairy tales because they are _________________.
2. What is it called when a person looks for the best in everything?
3. At what age does this period begin?
4. One or more of the main characters is related to which food?
5. What is the negative aspect related to the character(s)?
Short Essay Questions
1. When do fairy tales truly begin to make sense to a child?
2. How does a child learn to deal with problems through fairy tales?
3. What is the general rule of continuity in a fairy tale? Why is it important?
4. Why were these things used? What did they teach to children?
5. Explain the difference of fairy tales in various cultures. Are they all considered to be fairy tales?
6. What type of character is often seen as the representation of good versus evil?
7. How does a child view the wolf in Little Red Riding Hood?
8. What has often been done to remove violence from fairy tales? What is the result?
9. What is the difference between an adult that has no experience with fairy tales and a child who does?
10. Historically speaking, what things most often formed a child's intellect?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Study Charles Perrault's version of "Little Red Cap" with the version of "Little Red Riding Hood" made most popular by the Brothers Grimm. Examine how the cultural differences and societal values changed the basic impact of the story. Also examine the two different endings. How does each impact a child on a psychological level? Which is the most beneficial for a child's development? Cite references from psychological journals to back up your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Although some cultures find little if any difference between myths, fables, fairy tales, and religious parables, the author points out the differences. Compare and contrast these types of stories and how they affect various cultures.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one fairy tale from the book and modernize it according to the previous method. You may add in elements rather than subtracting them, as long as they reflect modern society and are appropriate for a child. Explain and change and its intended effect.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)