|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The downside of that personality may equate which of the following to a child?
2. A person with no experience in fairy tales may not understand the difference between which two objects?
3. Both philosophers believed that myth equaled what?
4. What fairy tale character was the writer's favorite?
5. Which two philosophers are referred to in "Fairy Tale Versus Myth?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Why have some parents and educators outlawed fairy tales?
2. When do fairy tales truly begin to make sense to a child?
3. How is a supreme being or other force worked into fairy tales?
4. When does the oedipal period begin to appear in a child's life?
5. What use do fairy tales have in the life of a child?
6. Who is Louis MacNeice and what does he say about fairy tales?
7. What has often been done to remove violence from fairy tales? What is the result?
8. Fairy tales encourage the belief that there is always something waiting at the end of the story. What is it? Why is it given?
9. What did Dr. Sigmund Freud think about the purpose behind the story of Oedpius?
10. Why are fairy tales important to the development of a child's mind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a great deal of information provided regarding the Oedipus Complex. Discuss the indications of this psychological issue as it applies to girls, boys, and parents. Discuss the length of the phase and if a child ever "grows out" of it. Also compare and contrast the opinions of Freud, Jung and Bettelheim regarding the topic. State your opinion on the work and beliefs of each man.
Essay Topic 2
Bettelheim was a child psychologist that specialized in working with autistic children. Examine Bettelheim's career and involvement with autism. How would an autistic child view fairy tales differently than a non-autistic child? What parts of the fairy tale would have the greatest impact on the child?
Essay Topic 3
Although some cultures find little if any difference between myths, fables, fairy tales, and religious parables, the author points out the differences. Compare and contrast these types of stories and how they affect various cultures.
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)