|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What style poem did Nugent write?
(a) Free verse.
2. For how long was Lynch on the island?
(a) Eight days.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Ten days.
(d) One week.
3. How many years of marriage did Nugent's poem refer to?
4. What kind of church did Milo belong to?
5. How many years did Henry Nugent's second marriage last?
(a) 15 years.
(b) 19 years.
(c) 17 years.
(d) 21 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what state did the Nugents move after marrying?
2. What immigrant group did Lynch say has a fondness for funeral services?
3. In what town's hospital was Nora treated?
4. Approximately how many of his townspeople were cremated each year?
5. Besides funeral homes, what business did Lynch say persisted in using the family name in the business name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lynch handle being a father while serving as an undertaker and seeing dead children?
2. Why do most people never pay attention to the figure Lynch called "The Big One"?
3. Why was Lynch's father fond of quoting Gladstone?
4. What are the dangers of viewing the dead as an "embarrassment?"
5. What did Lynch mean when he stated that "one hand washes the other" in Chapter 1?
6. In what fundamental ways did the flush toilet change human civilization?
7. How did Lynch feel about constantly taking Nugent's phone calls following the divorce?
8. How was Lynch helped by stopping his drinking?
9. What was Nora's reaction to her impending death?
10. What was Lynch's view of the notion that the corpse is just an empty shell?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)