|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lynch's mother convince her husband to get their son Dan?
(a) A bicycle.
(b) A BB gun.
(c) A trampoline.
(d) A swimming pool.
2. How many hours did the undertaker work on the murdered girl?
3. What Asian city did Lynch mention as a place where funeral pyres are frequent?
4. In what year was Lynch's Michigan house built?
5. What disease did Lynch's father have outbreaks of?
(b) Multiple sclerosis.
(c) Rheumatoid arthritis.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years had Nugent's first marriage lasted?
2. From what surgery did Mr. Lynch have a scar?
3. What kind of food did Lynch say many neighbors brought over after his divorce?
4. Which Lynch brother was sucker-punched in a bar fight?
5. What kind of service did the Irish priest who married Lynch say he wanted?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Lynch say some cultural groups (immigrant Irish, Diaspora Jews, African-Americans) actually"enjoy" funerals?
2. What did Lynch lament about the modern homes Americans live in?
3. What are the dangers of viewing the dead as an "embarrassment?"
4. How did Lynch describe the difference between chance and coincidence?
5. What are the unique problems faced by undertakers trying to "advertise" their services?
6. What is the essential difference between burying the old and burying infants?
7. Why was Lynch's father fond of quoting Gladstone?
8. What was Nora's reaction to her impending death?
9. How did Lynch try to maintain some of the old traditions after he fixed up the Irish cottage when Nora passed away?
10. In what fundamental ways did the flush toilet change human civilization?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)