|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where in Florida did Lynch's father die?
(a) The Gulf Coast.
(c) The Keys.
(d) The Panhandle.
2. What town did Lynch explore while on his trip in Chapter 5?
(a) Santa Barbara.
(c) Los Angeles.
3. What Irish writer did Lynch admire?
4. How did Milo die?
(a) Unspecified illness.
(b) Heart failure.
(c) Car accident.
5. What was the name of the village Tommy and Nora Lynch lived in?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the surname on the stone that hit Stephanie?
2. To what did Nugent's poem refer?
3. What was the name of the woman whose body smelled bad because of her last meal?
4. What was St. Stephen the patron saint of?
5. In which state did the accident occur?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Lynch consider the mark of a good faith leader?
2. What were the different ways in which loved ones reacted to being asked to collect the ashes of the deceased?
3. How was Lynch helped by stopping his drinking?
4. Of all the choices offered by Lynch to explain Stephanie's death, which one seemed to be the one he would choose?
5. What was Lynch's view of the notion that the corpse is just an empty shell?
6. How did the modern amenities (toilet, television, etc.) change life in the old Irish cottage?
7. Why did Lynch say some cultural groups (immigrant Irish, Diaspora Jews, African-Americans) actually"enjoy" funerals?
8. When and why did the regular practice of embalming begin?
9. In what fundamental ways did the flush toilet change human civilization?
10. What did Lynch mean when he stated that "one hand washes the other" in Chapter 1?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)