|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What poet made the statement about men dying for what they miss in poetry?
(a) Walt Whitman.
(b) Robert Frost.
(c) William Butler Yeats.
(d) William Carlos Williams.
2. Where in Florida did Lynch's father die?
(a) The Keys.
(b) The Panhandle.
(c) The Gulf Coast.
3. What did Lynch have a drink of every night?
(d) Irish whiskey.
4. Approximately how much do cremated human remains weigh?
(a) Six to ten pounds.
(b) Twelve to fifteen pounds.
(c) Four to seven pounds.
(d) Ten to twelve pounds.
5. What style poem did Nugent write?
(d) Free verse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was St. Stephen the patron saint of?
2. To what did Nugent's poem refer?
3. At what time did Mil Hornsby's wife call to announce his death?
4. What did Lynch say was God's greatest gift?
5. What ethnic food did Robertson and his wife enjoy in celebration of the poem's publication?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Lynch lament about the modern homes Americans live in?
2. Why did the undertakers at the conference seem intent of developing new language to explain what they did for a living?
3. Why did Lynch enjoy not having access to indoor plumbing when he first visited his cousins in Ireland?
4. How did Lynch feel about the prospect of his loved ones feeling guilt at his funeral?
5. What were the different ways in which loved ones reacted to being asked to collect the ashes of the deceased?
6. Why do most people never pay attention to the figure Lynch called "The Big One"?
7. Why did Lynch say some cultural groups (immigrant Irish, Diaspora Jews, African-Americans) actually"enjoy" funerals?
8. Why did the Lynch brothers take care of their father's body rather than allow a local undertaker to do the job?
9. Why was Henry Nugent unable to get relief from his heartbreak following his divorce?
10. How does Lynch view the work done by his colleague Wesley Rice with the young, murdered girl?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)