|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lynch's father see in every bruise on his children?
(b) Brittle-bone disease.
(c) Muscular dystrophy.
2. On what holy day did Lynch land in Ireland when Nora became sick?
(a) Easter Sunday.
(b) Good Friday.
(c) Ash Wednesday.
(d) Maundy Thursday.
3. What style poem did Nugent write?
(d) Free verse.
4. In what town's hospital was Nora treated?
5. Why do undertakers massage the body?
(a) To relax the muscles.
(b) To restore color to the skin.
(c) To remove any bruises.
(d) To ensure the even distribution of embalming fluid.
Short Answer Questions
1. For approximately how long had Lynch been an undertaker when Chapter 2 opened?
2. What food was Robertson's poem about?
3. What Christian writer did Lynch's mother frequently read?
4. How old were the twins who drowned in the river?
5. In which state did the accident occur?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lynch convey the sensuality of the preparation and eating of the artichoke?
2. Why did the Lynch brothers take care of their father's body rather than allow a local undertaker to do the job?
3. Did Lynch profess to a certain fascination with dead bodies?
4. Why was Lynch's father fond of quoting Gladstone?
5. Why do most people never pay attention to the figure Lynch called "The Big One"?
6. What did Lynch lament about the modern homes Americans live in?
7. How does Lynch view the work done by his colleague Wesley Rice with the young, murdered girl?
8. In what fundamental ways did the flush toilet change human civilization?
9. According to Lynch, why do people find it important to have bodies to bury?
10. Why did Lynch enjoy not having access to indoor plumbing when he first visited his cousins in Ireland?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)