|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much would the laundry bill have come to for the work Milo did for Lynch?
2. How did Jessica Mitford refer to undertakers' work on human bodies?
3. In what month did the Michigan undertakers conduct their conference?
4. What ancient human ancestor did Lynch say first buried the dead?
(b) Homo Sapien.
5. On what holy day did Lynch land in Ireland when Nora became sick?
(a) Easter Sunday.
(b) Maundy Thursday.
(c) Good Friday.
(d) Ash Wednesday.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the last act that Lynch did to Milo's body?
2. How did Milo die?
3. Out of a thousand people in a room, how many would be expected to die by the end of the year according to Lynch's analogy in Chapter 1?
4. What poem did Thomas Lynch recite his fall from a fire escape in college?
5. What time did Lynch leave the office to return home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of music did Lynch want at his funeral?
2. Describe Matthew Sweeney's personality.
3. Why did the Lynch brothers take care of their father's body rather than allow a local undertaker to do the job?
4. How does Lynch view the current state of debate over abortion?
5. Why did Lynch say some cultural groups (immigrant Irish, Diaspora Jews, African-Americans) actually"enjoy" funerals?
6. How did Lynch handle being a father while serving as an undertaker and seeing dead children?
7. How did the funeral processions through town change when the Oak Grove bridge collapsed?
8. How did the modern amenities (toilet, television, etc.) change life in the old Irish cottage?
9. According to Lynch, why do people find it important to have bodies to bury?
10. What lesson did Lynch want to teach Sweeney with his story of the man killed by the falling vehicle at the scrap metal yard?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)