|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years had Nugent's first marriage lasted?
2. How many years of marriage did Nugent's poem refer to?
3. Why do undertakers massage the body?
(a) To ensure the even distribution of embalming fluid.
(b) To remove any bruises.
(c) To relax the muscles.
(d) To restore color to the skin.
4. What did Lynch suggest could be the introductory price of a grave site at the golfatorium?
5. For approximately how long had Lynch been an undertaker when Chapter 2 opened?
(a) 15 years.
(b) 25 years.
(c) 30 years.
(d) 20 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Children under twelve accounted for approximately what percentage of deaths in 1900?
2. In what year was Lynch's Michigan house built?
3. To what state was Stephanie's family heading when the accident occurred?
4. Where did Nugent meet his next wife?
5. What kind of service did the Irish priest who married Lynch say he wanted?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lynch view the work done by his colleague Wesley Rice with the young, murdered girl?
2. What did Lynch mean when he stated that "one hand washes the other" in Chapter 1?
3. What is the essential difference between burying the old and burying infants?
4. Did Lynch profess to a certain fascination with dead bodies?
5. Why do most people never pay attention to the figure Lynch called "The Big One"?
6. What are the unique problems faced by undertakers trying to "advertise" their services?
7. Why did the undertakers at the conference seem intent of developing new language to explain what they did for a living?
8. How did Lynch's mother and father differ in their reactions to the normal "threats" of childhood?
9. How did Lynch try to maintain some of the old traditions after he fixed up the Irish cottage when Nora passed away?
10. According to Lynch, why do people find it important to have bodies to bury?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)