|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Jessica Mitford refer to undertakers' work on human bodies?
2. In what Irish town were Lynch and Don Paterson discussing Thomas Crapper?
3. How many words did Roberton's poem contain?
4. How much of his gross earnings were profit?
(a) Twelve percent.
(b) Five percent.
(c) Ten percent.
(d) Seven percent.
5. In what month did the Michigan undertakers conduct their conference?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do undertakers massage the body?
2. What immigrant group did Lynch say has a fondness for funeral services?
3. How many golf courses opened in Milford in the course of a year?
4. What did Lynch say was God's greatest gift?
5. What ancient human ancestor did Lynch say first buried the dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of all the choices offered by Lynch to explain Stephanie's death, which one seemed to be the one he would choose?
2. What did Lynch mean by "the poor cousin of fear is rage?"
3. What was Nora's reaction to her impending death?
4. In what fundamental ways did the flush toilet change human civilization?
5. What were the different ways in which loved ones reacted to being asked to collect the ashes of the deceased?
6. What did Lynch mean when he stated that "one hand washes the other" in Chapter 1?
7. Why was Lynch's father fond of quoting Gladstone?
8. How did Lynch convey the sensuality of the preparation and eating of the artichoke?
9. Why did the undertakers at the conference seem intent of developing new language to explain what they did for a living?
10. Why was Henry Nugent unable to get relief from his heartbreak following his divorce?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)