|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Approximately how many of his townspeople did Lynch bury each year?
2. How long had Lynch's parents been married?
(a) 52 years.
(b) 47 years.
(c) 50 years.
(d) 43 years.
3. What did Lynch's mother convince her husband to get their son Dan?
(a) A trampoline.
(b) A bicycle.
(c) A BB gun.
(d) A swimming pool.
4. To what state was Stephanie's family heading when the accident occurred?
5. How old were the twins who drowned in the river?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state did Nugent teach in college when he met his wife?
2. What French writer did Lynch quote at the beginning of Chapter 3?
3. At what time did Mil Hornsby's wife call to announce his death?
4. How many years had Nugent's first marriage lasted?
5. What time did Lynch leave the office to return home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Henry Nugent unable to get relief from his heartbreak following his divorce?
2. What did Lynch consider the mark of a good faith leader?
3. How did Lynch convey the sensuality of the preparation and eating of the artichoke?
4. Why did the undertakers at the conference seem intent of developing new language to explain what they did for a living?
5. Why did the priest insist on a simple funeral and burial service and why was Lynch unimpressed?
6. According to Lynch, why do people find it important to have bodies to bury?
7. If the dead don't care, why did Lynch get up in the middle of the night to tend to the newly deceased?
8. How did Lynch describe the difference between chance and coincidence?
9. Why did Nugent have several relationships following his divorce and did they help him find love?
10. What are the dangers of viewing the dead as an "embarrassment?"
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)