|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lynch's father see in every bruise on his children?
(a) Brittle-bone disease.
(c) Muscular dystrophy.
2. How did Milo die?
(a) Heart failure.
(b) Car accident.
(c) Unspecified illness.
3. What was St. Stephen the patron saint of?
(d) Hopeless causes.
4. What kind of church did Milo belong to?
5. In what Irish town were Lynch and Don Paterson discussing Thomas Crapper?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the surname on the stone that hit Stephanie?
2. Where in Florida did Lynch's father die?
3. What kind of food made Lynch and Patterson sick in Ireland?
4. Where did Milo die?
5. How many years of marriage did Nugent's poem refer to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lynch describe the difference between chance and coincidence?
2. How does society generally view cemeteries, according to Lynch?
3. When and why did the regular practice of embalming begin?
4. If the dead don't care, why did Lynch get up in the middle of the night to tend to the newly deceased?
5. How did Lynch convey the sensuality of the preparation and eating of the artichoke?
6. What were the different ways in which loved ones reacted to being asked to collect the ashes of the deceased?
7. How did Lynch try to maintain some of the old traditions after he fixed up the Irish cottage when Nora passed away?
8. How did the modern amenities (toilet, television, etc.) change life in the old Irish cottage?
9. What was Lynch's view of the notion that the corpse is just an empty shell?
10. What did Lynch lament about the modern homes Americans live in?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)