|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which state did the accident occur?
2. What was the name of the woman whose body smelled bad because of her last meal?
3. How many siblings did Lynch have?
4. From what surgery did Mr. Lynch have a scar?
(c) Heart bypass.
5. In what Irish town were Lynch and Don Paterson discussing Thomas Crapper?
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides funeral homes, what business did Lynch say persisted in using the family name in the business name?
2. To what did Nugent's poem refer?
3. In what year did Tommy Lynch die?
4. In what era did Gladstone live?
5. For approximately how long had Lynch been an undertaker when Chapter 2 opened?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Lynch's view of the notion that the corpse is just an empty shell?
2. In what fundamental ways did the flush toilet change human civilization?
3. How does society generally view cemeteries, according to Lynch?
4. How did the modern amenities (toilet, television, etc.) change life in the old Irish cottage?
5. What did Lynch mean by "the poor cousin of fear is rage?"
6. Why did Lynch enjoy not having access to indoor plumbing when he first visited his cousins in Ireland?
7. What did Lynch lament about the modern homes Americans live in?
8. Why was Lynch's father fond of quoting Gladstone?
9. Why did the Lynch brothers take care of their father's body rather than allow a local undertaker to do the job?
10. Why did the undertakers at the conference seem intent of developing new language to explain what they did for a living?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)