|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do undertakers massage the body?
(a) To restore color to the skin.
(b) To relax the muscles.
(c) To ensure the even distribution of embalming fluid.
(d) To remove any bruises.
2. Out of a thousand people in a room, how many would be expected to die by the end of the year according to Lynch's analogy in Chapter 1?
3. Approximately how many of his townspeople were cremated each year?
(a) Four to five dozen.
(b) Two to three dozen.
(c) One to two dozen.
(d) Five dozen.
4. How much of his gross earnings were profit?
(a) Ten percent.
(b) Five percent.
(c) Seven percent.
(d) Twelve percent.
5. How long had Lynch's parents been married?
(a) 47 years.
(b) 50 years.
(c) 43 years.
(d) 52 years.
6. For approximately how long had Lynch been an undertaker when Chapter 2 opened?
(a) 30 years.
(b) 25 years.
(c) 15 years.
(d) 20 years.
7. How many years did Henry Nugent's second marriage last?
(a) 15 years.
(b) 21 years.
(c) 17 years.
(d) 19 years.
8. How old were the twins who drowned in the river?
9. At what time did Mil Hornsby's wife call to announce his death?
(a) 5 a.m.
(b) 2 a.m.
(c) 4 a.m.
(d) 3 a.m.
10. What was the name of the woman whose body smelled bad because of her last meal?
11. Approximately how many of his townspeople did Lynch bury each year?
12. What did Lynch suggest could be the introductory price of a grave site at the golfatorium?
13. What concept did the Second Vatican Council eliminate?
14. How did Milo die?
(a) Unspecified illness.
(b) Car accident.
(d) Heart failure.
15. When did embalming become common?
(a) The Civil War.
(b) The War of Independence.
(c) World War I.
(d) World War II.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what holy day did Lynch land in Ireland when Nora became sick?
2. What poet made the statement about men dying for what they miss in poetry?
3. To what state was Stephanie's family heading when the accident occurred?
4. To what state did the Nugents move after marrying?
5. What Friday night TV show did Lynch mention when discussing his generation's approach to death?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)