|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What vessel is closing on Surprise?
(a) The HMS Java.
(b) The HMS Shamrock.
(c) The HMS Éclair.
(d) The HMS Leopard.
2. Who performs the marriage ceremony between Oakes and Clarissa?
(a) The first mate who happens to also be a preacher.
(c) Reverend Nathaniel Martin.
3. What is causing contention among the ship's officers?
(b) How the prize money is being divided.
(c) One of them has accused another of cheating at cards.
(d) One of them has accused another of cheating at dice.
4. In what does Maturin become involved?
(a) A dispute of honor.
(b) An epidemic.
(c) A study of the local flora and fauna.
(d) A dispute about medical treatment.
5. What does Aubrey think about life at sea compared to that on land?
(a) Being at sea he is his own boss.
(b) It is more complicated.
(c) It is simpler.
(d) It is more exciting.
6. Who is Clarissa Oakes?
(a) The wife of Maturin's cousin.
(b) Aubrey's sister-in-law.
(c) The daughter of the Egyptian consulate.
(d) A stowaway.
7. Who insults Maturin one evening?
8. What does Maturin hope to do some day?
(a) Visit both places his patients have been.
(b) Find a native wife at one of the tropical islands.
(c) Have a large enough vessel to sail around the world.
(d) Study the fauna at the Galapagos.
9. What does Aubrey encounter in their first port of call?
(a) A gun runner's ring.
(b) Political difficulties.
(c) A revolt by a penal colony.
(d) A rum runner's ring.
10. What positions do Davidge and West hold on the Surprise?
(a) 1st and 3rd mates.
(b) 3rd mate and steward.
(c) 2nd and 3rd mates.
(d) 2nd mate and steward.
11. How does Aubrey find the Surprise?
(a) In total disarray.
(b) In fair order.
(c) Everything but the crew quarters was acceptable.
(d) In excellent order.
12. Where is the Surprise ordered?
(a) To some islands off Cape Horn.
(b) To the West Indies.
(c) To the Mediterrean.
(d) To Moahu.
13. What angers Aubrey about Padeen Coleman?
(a) That he is aboard the vessel.
(b) That he brought liquor on board the ship.
(c) That he challenges Aubrey on a matter of seamanship.
(d) That he chose to stay at their last port.
14. To whom does Aubrey give his word that there are no stowaways on board?
(a) The sheriff.
(b) The governor.
(c) The navy admiral stationed in Port Jackson.
(d) The military police.
15. What do Aubrey and the scout seem to have?
(a) A barely-concealed animosity.
(b) A good friendship.
(c) A private understanding.
(d) Similar ways of doing things.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is pursuing the Surprise?
2. What do Maturin and Aubrey agree on about Clarissa?
3. What does Maturin start having about Clarissa?
4. What does Aubrey note among the crew?
5. What does Aubrey realize?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)