|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has the other patient which Maturin is examining been?
(a) Easter Island.
(b) Machu Pichu.
(c) San Francisco.
2. What port do they depart at the opening of the story?
(a) Port Jackson.
(b) Port au Prince.
3. What does Surprise cross at the opening to Chapter 3?
(a) The Indian Ocean.
(b) The equator.
(c) The Mediterrean Sea.
(d) The Glassy Sea.
4. In what is the crew of the Surprise to intervene?
(a) The French blockade of the Straights of Gibraltar.
(b) Some illegal rum and spice running.
(c) A minor civil war.
(d) Some slave trading.
5. What island does Maturin hope to visit?
6. Who owns the vessel?
(b) The English naval department.
(c) The Dutch government.
7. What vessel is closing on Surprise?
(a) The HMS Leopard.
(b) The HMS Java.
(c) The HMS Shamrock.
(d) The HMS Éclair.
8. What does Martin accept from Maturin?
(a) A position of shipboard chaplain.
(b) A few pounds to tide him over until he finds a new position.
(c) Being dropped at a missionary settlement near Cape Horn.
(d) A position as clergy.
9. What angers Aubrey about Padeen Coleman?
(a) That he chose to stay at their last port.
(b) That he is aboard the vessel.
(c) That he brought liquor on board the ship.
(d) That he challenges Aubrey on a matter of seamanship.
10. Where is Aubrey's vessel headed now?
(b) The West Indies.
(d) The coast of France.
11. What does Aubrey host as the Surprise heads for its new assignment?
(a) A sword fighting contest.
(b) Dinner for the officers aboard the vessel that delivers the new orders.
(c) A wedding dinner.
(d) A rig climbing contest.
12. What helps Aubrey get a good night's sleep?
(a) A couple shots of the contraband whiskey.
(b) The brisk salt air.
(d) Re-reading a letter from his wife.
13. What does Aubrey think about life at sea compared to that on land?
(a) It is more complicated.
(b) It is more exciting.
(c) It is simpler.
(d) Being at sea he is his own boss.
14. Who is pursuing the Surprise?
(a) An American privateer.
(b) A French man-of-war.
(c) A British cutter.
(d) An American man-of-war.
15. What does Aubrey anticipate when he goes back to England?
(a) The birth of his first son.
(b) Learning if his father, who was critically ill, has died.
(c) Finding that his investments have soared.
(d) Posting on a much larger vessel than the one he is currently on.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Ã‰clair want with the Surprise?
2. What is threatening British interests in the area where they are headed?
3. Where is Clarissa Oakes?
4. Who insults Maturin one evening?
5. What does Aubrey encounter in their first port of call?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)