|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Aubrey react to his discovery?
2. Who insults Maturin one evening?
3. What does the Ã‰clair want with the Surprise?
(a) To bring a new commander and take Aubrey to his new ship assignment.
(b) To deliver mail and new orders.
(c) To deliver several new crew members.
(d) To search for stowaways.
4. How does Aubrey find the Surprise?
(a) Everything but the crew quarters was acceptable.
(b) In total disarray.
(c) In fair order.
(d) In excellent order.
5. Who performs the marriage ceremony between Oakes and Clarissa?
(b) Reverend Nathaniel Martin.
(c) The first mate who happens to also be a preacher.
6. What does Aubrey realize?
(a) The dead crew member just signed on at the last port.
(b) That the ship must not have been thoroughly checked for rats at the last port.
(c) That he has found the source of the crew's apparent high morale.
(d) That the contraband whiskey must have come aboard at the last port call.
7. What do Maturin and Aubrey agree on about Clarissa?
(a) She is rather coarse.
(b) She is strikingly beautiful.
(c) She is rather quiet.
(d) She is no great beauty.
8. Where is the Surprise ordered?
(a) To the West Indies.
(b) To some islands off Cape Horn.
(c) To the Mediterrean.
(d) To Moahu.
9. What will happen if Oakes marries Clarissa?
(a) He will have to leave her at the first port call where there are English.
(b) There will be professional repercussions for Oakes.
(c) He will be a bigamist.
(d) He will have to resign his commission.
10. What is causing contention among the ship's officers?
(a) One of them has accused another of cheating at dice.
(b) One of them has accused another of cheating at cards.
(d) How the prize money is being divided.
11. What does Aubrey inspect with Tom?
(a) The cable tiers.
(b) The rigging.
(c) The galley.
(d) The ropes.
12. What is closed?
(a) Easter Island.
(c) The eastern African shore.
(d) Norfolk Island.
13. What does Aubrey anticipate when he goes back to England?
(a) Posting on a much larger vessel than the one he is currently on.
(b) Learning if his father, who was critically ill, has died.
(c) Finding that his investments have soared.
(d) The birth of his first son.
14. To whom does Aubrey give his word that there are no stowaways on board?
(a) The sheriff.
(b) The navy admiral stationed in Port Jackson.
(c) The military police.
(d) The governor.
15. What angers Aubrey about Padeen Coleman?
(a) That he brought liquor on board the ship.
(b) That he chose to stay at their last port.
(c) That he challenges Aubrey on a matter of seamanship.
(d) That he is aboard the vessel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why had Padeen been at a penal colony?
2. What positions do Davidge and West hold on the Surprise?
3. What is Maturin's position on board?
4. What is Aubrey intending to do?
5. What vessel are Aubrey and Maturin sailing?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)