|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maturin continue to write about Clarissa?
(a) That she reminds him of his sister.
(b) That she is no great beauty.
(c) That he cannot believe she killed someone.
(d) That she is hiding something.
2. What do Aubrey and the crew do every morning?
(a) Flood the ballast and pump out the seawater.
(b) Have an officer's meeting and an enlisted men's meeting.
(c) Check the cannonades.
(d) Look over the rigging carefully.
3. What does Aubrey discover about his land holdings?
(a) They have been realigned to the Duke's land borders.
(b) They are being taxed at a higher rate than the year before.
(c) They have dropped in value.
(d) They have several opportunities for clergy.
4. What do Maturin and Aubrey agree on about Clarissa?
(a) She is strikingly beautiful.
(b) She is rather quiet.
(c) She is rather coarse.
(d) She is no great beauty.
5. What does Aubrey note among the crew?
(b) Much merriment and amusement.
6. What does Aubrey anticipate when he goes back to England?
(a) Finding that his investments have soared.
(b) The birth of his first son.
(c) Learning if his father, who was critically ill, has died.
(d) Posting on a much larger vessel than the one he is currently on.
7. What does Martin accept from Maturin?
(a) A few pounds to tide him over until he finds a new position.
(b) A position of shipboard chaplain.
(c) Being dropped at a missionary settlement near Cape Horn.
(d) A position as clergy.
8. What vessel is closing on Surprise?
(a) The HMS Leopard.
(b) The HMS Shamrock.
(c) The HMS Éclair.
(d) The HMS Java.
9. Who insults Maturin one evening?
10. What port do they depart at the opening of the story?
(a) Port au Prince.
(c) Port Jackson.
11. What does Aubrey realize?
(a) That he has found the source of the crew's apparent high morale.
(b) The dead crew member just signed on at the last port.
(c) That the contraband whiskey must have come aboard at the last port call.
(d) That the ship must not have been thoroughly checked for rats at the last port.
12. What is closed?
(b) Norfolk Island.
(c) Easter Island.
(d) The eastern African shore.
13. What helps Aubrey get a good night's sleep?
(b) A couple shots of the contraband whiskey.
(c) The brisk salt air.
(d) Re-reading a letter from his wife.
14. What does Aubrey do before breakfast?
(a) Has Oakes given 20 lashes and Clarrisa Harville given 3 lashes.
(b) Climbs to the monkey's nest.
(c) Has Oakes lashed.
(d) Goes swimming.
15. Who starts visiting Maturin?
Short Answer Questions
1. What island does Maturin hope to visit?
2. What is the approximate date at the opening of the novel?
3. In what does Maturin become involved?
4. What does Aubrey decide about Oakes and Clarissa?
5. What does Maturin start having about Clarissa?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)