|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hugo put in the silo in one of his poems?
2. What is the divorce rate in the town in one assumption?
3. Yeats is noted by Hugo as saying that, "as a writer, your most important arguments are with _____".
4. Yeats, Hopkins, Auden, Thomas, Kunitz, and Bogan are described by Hugo as having _____ as determined by Roethke when he read their work aloud.
5. Where do the grocer's children live in one assumption?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is anybody insane in the triggering town?
2. What are the two attitudes Hugo says a writer carries to the page?
3. What is Buzz Green's description of Lou Garrity's trombone playing and how does it relate to Hugo's idea of writing poetry?
4. In Hugo's opinion, why do most students respect Roethke as a teacher?
5. What does the hermit in one assumption do to fill his days?
6. How does Hugo describe looking at the world of the imagination?
7. Why does Hugo suggest that the triggering town be unfamiliar?
8. Why does Hugo say to "think small" when writing a poem?
9. Describe Hugo's advice on hard work when writing poetry.
10. What are some of the ways Hugo suggests moving away from the initiating subject?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the movies the G.I.'s watch during the war. What are the reactions of the bombardiers versus the pilots to one movie? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What does Hugo say about communication in writing? What happens if language only exists to convey information? What is the role of "the reader" in a poet's mind when he is writing poetry?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Hugo say that Roethke is a dangerous teacher? How has his teaching influenced the author? How has his teaching influenced David Wagoner?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)