|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hugo says that if one is a private poet, then one's vocabulary is limited to one's _____.
2. Hugo states that all art that has endured has an element of _____.
3. Hugo teaches that words love the _____ of people's minds.
4. Hugo teaches that one way of getting into the world of the imagination is to focus on the play rather than the _____ of words.
5. Where do people sit a lot in one assumption?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the ways Hugo suggests moving away from the initiating subject?
2. According to Hugo, what happens to words in a news article?
3. Why does Hugo say to "think small" when writing a poem?
4. Why are people suspicious of Hugo in the assumption about couples?
5. In the poem "At Stillit's Mouth", what does Hugo say about his own sense of the dramatic?
6. Why does Hugo suggest that the triggering town be unfamiliar?
7. Describe the function of assumptions in the triggering town.
8. According to Hugo, what can happen to facts when writing a poem?
9. What does Hugo say is Roethke's strength as a teacher?
10. What is Hugo's impression of Roethke's demeanor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Hugo's thoughts on having a stance in writing a poem? What examples does he give regarding stance and how does the presence or absence of a stance determine the poem's effectiveness?
Essay Topic 2
What are the advantages pointed out by Hugo of making up the rules as the poet goes along? What should making up rules do for the poet?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the movies the G.I.'s watch during the war. What are the reactions of the bombardiers versus the pilots to one movie? Why?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)