|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which colleague of Hugo's points out that "if you are not risking sentimentality, you are not close to your inner self"?
2. According to Hugo, Valery says that when words are used to convey information, they _____.
3. Hugo says that Roethke only wanted _____ in his class because you can teach them.
4. Hugo offers one way of getting off the triggering subject by suggesting that one use words for the sake of their _____.
5. According to Hugo, Roethke has _____ values.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the function of assumptions in the triggering town.
2. What does the hermit in one assumption do to fill his days?
3. According to Hugo, what happens to words in a news article?
4. How does Roethke read a poem, and what does Hugo say is the effect it has on students?
5. In Hugo's opinion, why do most students respect Roethke as a teacher?
6. What happens to Hugo when he lives in New York in one assumption?
7. What happens in the assumption where the outcast returns?
8. What are some of the ways Hugo suggests moving away from the initiating subject?
9. What are the two attitudes Hugo says a writer carries to the page?
10. In what way does Hugo feel that young poets find it difficult to free themselves from the initiating subject of a poem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Hugo describe the writing abilities of some scholars who have doctorates in English? What are the reasons he gives for his observations?
Essay Topic 2
What is Hugo's experience in the grassy field near Spinazzola? How does a psychoanalyst categorize his experience years later? What is the poem that he writes about Spinazzola about?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the movies the G.I.'s watch during the war. What are the reactions of the bombardiers versus the pilots to one movie? Why?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)