|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through In Defense of Creative-Writing Classes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Hugo, poets can go into the world of the imagination, and not feel so threatened that they _____.
(a) Become impotent.
(b) Become arrogant.
(c) Use profanity.
(d) Burn their rough drafts.
2. Whose "albatross" does Hugo mention when speaking of the poetry student's ability to fly?
3. Hugo suggests that if one wants to change what is on the page, try using the same words and play with the _____.
4. What does Hugo say seldom happens to writers who don't work at it?
(b) Getting published.
(c) Lucky accidents.
(d) Proper recognition.
5. Hugo feels that true integrity is often willfully equated with _____.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hugo put in the silo in one of his poems?
2. Hugo teaches that what type of words soften the impact of language?
3. Which punctuation mark is strictly banned by Hugo?
4. Hugo prefers the _____ tone he employs to a lot of qualifiers when giving poets rules to write by.
5. A suggestion Hugo makes is to end more than half the lines and more than two-thirds of the sentences on _____.
This section contains 214 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)