|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through In Defense of Creative-Writing Classes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What aspect of Reothke's teaching does Hugo find to be evidence of his cruelty?
(a) His finals.
(b) His critiques.
(c) His tardiness.
(d) His slothful explanations.
2. Yeats, Hopkins, Auden, Thomas, Kunitz, and Bogan are described by Hugo as having _____ as determined by Roethke when he read their work aloud.
(a) Uncommon grace.
(b) Distinct use of slang.
(c) An artist's ability to paint with words.
(d) Good ears.
3. Hugo states that people take their identities from their _____.
(b) Art work.
4. People who hated the town left long ago and are wealthy in ____ in one assumption.
(d) South Africa.
5. The surrounding country in one assumption is _____.
(c) On fire all the time.
(d) Filled with oil wells.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hugo states that formal verse can help a young poet locate things to say, and can also _____ him to say things he wouldn't say.
2. What instrument does Lou McGarrity play?
3. The hermit in one of Hugo's assumptions eats mostly _____.
4. Hugo says that if one is a private poet, then one's vocabulary is limited to one's _____.
5. Hugo thinks it is easier to write when you can ignore relative values and go with the _____ of words.
This section contains 213 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)