|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Stray Thoughts on Roethke and Teaching.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hugo maintains that once the poet has a certain amount of _____, one can forget it in the act of writing.
(a) Accumulated technique.
(b) Formal training.
(c) Raw talent.
2. Where does Hugo work with Buzz Green?
(a) The postal service.
(b) The Boeing Company.
(c) State Farm.
(d) Lockheed Martin.
3. Hugo teaches that what type of words soften the impact of language?
(c) Words that start with vowels.
(d) Foreign words.
4. Hugo thinks it is easier to write when you can ignore relative values and go with the _____ of words.
(b) Finer points.
(c) Overall concept.
(d) Flow and thrust.
5. The surrounding country in one assumption is _____.
(a) Filled with oil wells.
(b) On fire all the time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of voice does Hugo say that Roethke used in class?
2. Which poet tells Hugo that he has a hard time breaking Roethke's hold on him?
3. What does Hugo say endures most in a poet's work?
4. Hugo says that Roethke only wanted _____ in his class because you can teach them.
5. One of Hugo's assumptions states that the name of the triggering town must appear _____.
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)