|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The guards tell K. that they are hired to stand guard of him in his apartment how many hours a day in “The Arrest”?
2. When did World War I begin?
(a) January 16, 1912
(b) July 28, 1914
(c) June 30, 1915
(d) September 2, 1911
3. Where does Fraülein Bürstner say Frau Grubach’s nephew is sleeping in “A Conversation with Frau Grubach”?
(a) In the living room
(b) In the adjoining bedroom
(c) In the basement
(d) In the kitchen
4. What character is described in “A Conversation with Frau Grubach” as a girl “who worked serving in a wine-bar during the night and well into the morning, and during the daytime only received visitors from her bed”?
(c) Fraülein Bürstner
(d) Frau Grubach
5. The woman who moves in with Fraülein Bürstner holds what profession?
(a) She is a teacher
(b) She is a lawyer
(c) She is a secretary
(d) She is a banker
Short Answer Questions
1. The Deputy Manager invites K. to a party where on the same day as K.’s hearing in the beginning of “The First Hearing”?
2. Where does K. see Kaminer on his way to the courtroom in “The First Hearing”?
3. The Usher tells K. as they pass through the waiting room of the Court Offices in “In the Empty Conference Hall – The Student – The Offices,” “Most of the defendants are very” what?
4. Whose claim that his fiancée is waiting for him outside turns out to be a lie in “The Thrasher”?
5. The defendant that K. speaks to in the Court Offices in “In the Empty Conference Hall – The Student – The Offices” says he made several applications for evidence to be produced in his case when?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Josef K.’s central plight in “The Arrest”? How does he go about achieving his goal?
2. Where do Franz and Willem take K. in “The Arrest”? Why?
3. Describe the setting of The Trial. How does the author establish the setting in “The Arrest”?
4. How would you characterize K.’s behavior toward Fraülein Bürstner in “A Conversation with Frau Grubach”?
5. What noise does K. hear as he prepares to exit the office at the bank in “The Thrasher”?
6. Why is K. incapable of handling his trial in the same ways that he handles his work at the bank?
7. What information has K. learned about his coming hearing in the opening of “The First Hearing”? How did he gain this information?
8. What relationship to the legal system does Fraülein Bürstner say she has in “A Conversation with Frau Grubach”?
9. How is the weather described on the day K. goes to find the courthouse in “The First Hearing”? How is K.’s demeanor?
10. What does Franz say when he grovels to K. for help in “The Thrasher”?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)