|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is K.’s first name in the novel?
2. One of the guards being thrashed in “The Thrasher” says that he and his partner had prospects of being promoted to what position before getting into trouble?
(a) Jury Members
(b) Examining Magistrates
(c) Court Ushers
3. The next room to K.’s in “The Arrest” has been taken by “a typist, who went off to work very early and came back late.” What is this character’s name?
(a) Frau Block
(b) The Usher's Wife
(c) Fraülein Montag
(d) Fräulein Bürstner
4. When K. leaves Fräulein Bürstner’s room at the end of “A Conversation with Frau Grubach,” he thinks “for a while about the way he had behaved; he was” what?
(a) Satisfied with it
(b) Worried sick about it
(c) Deeply troubled by it
(d) Uncomfortable but serene
5. Where does Frau Grubach say Fraülein Bürstner has gone in the evening when K. returns home in “A Conversation with Frau Grubach”?
(a) To her lover’s house
(b) To church
(c) To the theatre
(d) To a jazz bar
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does K. recall having said “that the court was attracted by guilt” in “The First Hearing”?
2. What season is described in the opening of “A Conversation with Frau Grubach”?
3. The defendant that K. speaks to in the Court Offices in “In the Empty Conference Hall – The Student – The Offices” says he made several applications for evidence to be produced in his case when?
4. Of the proceedings against him, K. tells the Examining Magistrate, “[L]et us say I do recognize them, out of” what?
5. What word from “In the Empty Conference Hall – The Student – The Offices” means to break away from constituted authority?
Short Essay Questions
1. What excuse does Willem give K. for his previous behavior in “The Thrasher”?
2. Where do Franz and Willem take K. in “The Arrest”? Why?
3. How are the people in the courtroom situated in “The First Hearing”? How is this arrangement symbolic?
4. What do women represent to Josef K. in The Trial? How is this seen in “A Conversation with Frau Grubach”?
5. How is K.’s behavior toward Fraülein Bürstner in “A Conversation with Frau Grubach” relative to his actions as a whole in the novel?
6. How is the atmosphere of the setting described in “In the Empty Conference Hall – The Student – The Offices”?
7. What noise does K. hear as he prepares to exit the office at the bank in “The Thrasher”?
8. What does K. find at the address for the courtroom in “The First Hearing”?
9. Who is Fraülein Bürstner? How is her character described in “A Conversation with Frau Grubach”?
10. How is the character of Franz introduced in “The Arrest”? What is Franz’s assessment of K.?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)