|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of Italy does the narrator say the Italian Businessman is from in “In the Cathedral”?
(a) Western Italy
(b) Southern Italy
(c) Northern Italy
(d) Eastern Italy
2. By what mode of transportation does K. travel to Titorelli’s home in “The Lawyer – The Factory-Owner – The Painter”?
3. At what time does K. arrive at his office when he is to show the Italian Businessman around the city in “In the Cathedral”?
4. What word from “The Lawyer – The Factory-Owner – The Painter” means patently evident or certain; unquestionable?
5. At what time does the priest begin ascending the pulpit presumably to give a sermon in “In the Cathedral”?
6. Who is the man who is sitting in the corner of Herr Huld’s room in “His Uncle – Leni”?
(a) The Examining Magistrate
(b) The Superior Court Judge
(c) The Priest
(d) The Chief Clerk
7. The Manufacturer tells K. in “The Lawyer – The Factory-Owner – The Painter” that he heard about K.’s trial from Titorelli. What is Titorelli’s profession?
(a) He is a painter
(b) He is a court usher
(c) He is a judge
(d) He is a lawyer
8. Whose picture does K. show to Herr Huld’s maid when she asks about his lover in “His Uncle – Leni”?
(a) Dr. Huld’s
9. Herr Block tells K. in “Block, the Corn Merchant – The Dismissal of the Lawyer” that the defendants tend toward superstition. “One of these superstitions, for example, is that many claim they can see the outcome of the trial in the defendant’s face, especially in the marking of” what?
(a) The nose
(b) The ears
(c) The eyes
(d) The lips
10. Titorelli describes one of the tenement children as having hidden where in his apartment the previous night in “The Lawyer – The Factory-Owner – The Painter”?
(a) In his attic
(b) Under his bed
(c) In his closet
(d) In his wash bin
11. What word from “In the Cathedral” refers to an official of a church charged with tending to the care of the edifice and its contents, ringing the bell, and sometimes with burying the dead?
12. How many times is the knife twisted round after K. is stabbed in “The End”?
(b) Three times
(d) Four times
13. What word, used by Herr Huld’s maid in “His Uncle – Leni,” means refusing to agree or compromise; inflexible?
14. Of K., the narrator says in “The Lawyer – The Factory-Owner – The Painter,” “For once the court was going to find itself confronted by a defendant who knew how to” what?
(a) Fight back
(b) Get revenge
(c) Stand up for his rights
(d) Run from the authorities
15. What physical defect does Herr Huld’s maid demonstrate for K. in “His Uncle – Leni”?
(a) Her fingers are webbed
(b) She has a third eye
(c) She has six fingers on her right hand
(d) She has a club foot
Short Answer Questions
1. Titorelli tells K. in “The Lawyer – The Factory-Owner – The Painter” that the painting in his apartment is of Justice combined with whom?
2. At what time does the Italian Businessman suggest meeting K. at the cathedral in “In the Cathedral”?
3. The judge who Herr Huld spoke to about Block said of Block in “Block, the Corn Merchant – The Dismissal of the Lawyer,” “Block’s just cunning. He’s gathered a lot of experience and knows how to” what?
4. What word from “In the Cathedral” refers to mental or emotional stability or composure?
5. What is K. carrying with him when he goes to the cathedral in “In the Cathedral”?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)