|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As K. resists against the two strangers who take him away from his apartment in “The End,” he envisions what creatures tearing their own legs off?
2. Herr Block tells K. in “Block, the Corn Merchant – The Dismissal of the Lawyer” that the defendants tend toward superstition. “One of these superstitions, for example, is that many claim they can see the outcome of the trial in the defendant’s face, especially in the marking of” what?
(a) The nose
(b) The eyes
(c) The lips
(d) The ears
3. Herr Block tells K. in “Block, the Corn Merchant – The Dismissal of the Lawyer” that waiting is not pointless. “The only thing that is pointless is” what?
(a) Entering a plea of guilty
(b) Entering a plea of innocence
(c) Hiring a lawyer
(d) Acting on your own initiative
4. Herr Block says in “Block, the Corn Merchant – The Dismissal of the Lawyer,” “I will remind you of the old axiom: ‘For a suspect, movement is better than staying still, for someone who is still can always, without realizing it, be in the scales and be weighed with’” what?
(a) His innocence
(c) His sins
(d) His truth
5. Where does Uncle Karl know Huld from?
(a) The lecture circuit
(c) The military
6. Where is K. stabbed with the knife in “The End”?
(a) In the throat
(b) In the abdomen
(c) In the heart
(d) In the head
7. The narrator says in “The Lawyer – The Factory-Owner – The Painter” that when K. visits Herr Huld, Huld’s maid always makes a point of doing what?
(a) Bringing Huld’s medicine
(b) Massaging Huld’s shoulders
(c) Bringing Huld’s tea
(d) Bringing Huld’s dinner
8. How is Erna related to K.’s Uncle Karl?
(a) Erna is Karl’s daughter
(b) Erna is Karl’s cousin
(c) Erna is Karl’s mother
(d) Erna is Karl’s niece
9. Titorelli describes one of the tenement children as having hidden where in his apartment the previous night in “The Lawyer – The Factory-Owner – The Painter”?
(a) In his closet
(b) Under his bed
(c) In his attic
(d) In his wash bin
10. How is the cathedral square described when K. arrives in “In the Cathedral”?
(a) Crowded with tourists
(b) Completely deserted
(c) Crowded with animals
(d) Crowded with children
11. Describing Block, Herr Huld says in “Block, the Corn Merchant – The Dismissal of the Lawyer,” “True, as a person he’s unpleasant, has no manners and is grubby, but as far as his trial’s concerned, he’s” what?
12. What is K.’s head placed on by the strange guards in “The End”?
(a) A stone
(b) A guillotine
(c) A tree stump
(d) A silk pillow
13. K. asks the two men who appear at his apartment in the beginning of “The End” at which what are they engaged?
(a) Mechanic shop
(b) Painter's studio
14. What word from “The Lawyer – The Factory-Owner – The Painter” means patently evident or certain; unquestionable?
15. What word from “In the Cathedral” refers to mental or emotional stability or composure?
Short Answer Questions
1. By what method of transportation does K. get to the cathedral in “In the Cathedral”?
2. What is Herr Block’s first name?
3. What physical defect does Herr Huld’s maid demonstrate for K. in “His Uncle – Leni”?
4. Describing his early submissions in his trial, Herr Block tells K. that much of it was written in what language in “Block, the Corn Merchant – The Dismissal of the Lawyer”?
5. When he arrives at the cathedral square, K. remembers “that even as a small child it had struck him that the curtains of the houses in the narrow square were nearly always all” what, in “In the Cathedral”?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)