Part 1, Chapters 1-2 (pages 3-29)
• Delaney Mossbacher accidentally hits Candidó, an illegal Mexican immigrant, with his Acura on his way to the recycling center.
• Delaney searches for Candidó and finds him lying in the brush, his face and hand injured, holding a bag of tortillas.
• Delaney attempts to communicate with Candidó but cannot because he does not speak Spanish, and gives him a twenty dollar bill instead.
• Candidó has been badly injured and walks back to the campsite to sleep.
• Candidó's wife, América, who is expecting their first child, returns to the campsite as well and finds Candidó there.
• América cooks a meal bought with the twenty dollars and feeds it to Candidó, who is not well until the end of the second day.
• The accident has left Candidó's left arm useless, and he worries that it will affect his chances of working.
This section contains 2,216 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)