Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has refused to read Paul's information?
2. Whose methods do Paul's match?
3. What does Wolkowicz agree to mail for Paul?
4. What is secondary in Paul's investigation?
5. Who is Alvaro Urpi?
Essay Topic 1
Intelligence work, at least as far as this novel is concerned, can be dangerous business. Discuss one of the following:
1. What are some of the dangers of intelligence work specified or implied in THE TEARS OF AUTUMN? Illustrate with specific examples from the text.
2. Do you think intelligence work in the "real" world is more or less dangerous than that which is stated or implied in THE TEARS OF AUTUMN? Explain fully. (This may require some research).
3. Why do you think those characters in THE TEARS OF AUTUMN who choose intelligence work do so? Discuss and compare the motives for intelligence work by Paul, Tom Webster, David Patchen, Nsango, Luong, Trevor Hitchcock, and Klimenko. Each of these may have different reasons. Discuss fully with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 5, before Paul heads for Vietnam, he buys Molly a new ring. By the end of the book, Molly is wearing five rings that Paul has bought her. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the times Paul has bought Molly a ring and what each time might symbolize. Do you think each ring symbolizes the same thing or does Paul buy each ring for a different reason each time?
2. Trace and analyze the relationship between Molly and Paul. How is the relationship similar to that of his marriage? How is it different? Does Paul see this relationship as serious even though he tells Sybille he does not think he and Molly will marry? Can a relationship that does not involve marriage be as binding as that of a marriage? As serious? As fulfilling?
3. Paul suggests at the end of the novel that Molly has taught him to feel again. What are the reasons that Paul stops feeling? How does Molly teach Paul to feel again? Do you think they will eventually marry? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
John F. Kennedy is the President of the United States at the opening of THE TEARS OF AUTUMN. Discuss one of the following:
1. Research the Kennedy's administration's policy in Vietnam and discuss how this policy affected the Ngo family. How accurate is McCarry's portrayal of the Kennedy administration's involvement in Vietnam? Do the historical records of the administration's policy to Vietnam differ compared to the novel? How?
2. After researching the Kennedy's administration's policy towards Vietnam, discuss whether you think some Vietnamese would be hostile to Kennedy even to the point of assassination. After your research, does McCarry's book seem more realistic or less? Explain.
3. Do you think JFK could be considered a character in the novel? Explain your answer with specific examples from the text. Would you label him as a protagonist or antagonist? How does Kennedy as a character affect the plot of THE TEARS OF AUTUMN?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)