Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Websters respond to Paul's resignation?
2. What do David and Paul think can be used to find the truth in any situation?
3. What is mentioned as part of the French culture at the time?
4. Who does Paul contact in Vietnam?
5. Who can predict and use others' mistakes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Truong toc and which Truong toc does Paul talk with and what transpires?
2. What does Paul learn during his visit to Yu Lung?
3. What does Paul tell Molly about his investigation into JFK's murder?
4. What does Paul tell Ho he wants to know and why he wants to know it?
5. Give a brief description of Paul Christopher.
6. What happens to Luong's killers?
7. What does David Patchen think about Foley?
8. Who does Luong send Paul to talk to and why does he recommend Paul talking to this person?
9. What does Paul do in response to the letter from David?
10. Briefly describe the discussion during the dinner with Christopher, the Websters, Foley and Peggy McKinney.
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 1, when the group that includes Foley and Peggy McKinney learn of the deaths of the Ngo brothers, Peggy tries to lead a college cheer over their deaths. No one will join in, and Sybille Webster weeps over all of the corpses that politics creates. Undeterred, Peggy McKinney insists on a difference between petty Asiatic dictators and presidents of the greatest nation on earth. Discuss the following:
1. Sybille Webster might be considered the "conscience" of the novel. How do you think she serves as a moral barometer? Give specific examples. How do you think she lives with the fact that her husband is part of an organization that will do many illegal and immoral acts to promote a political goal?
2. Debate Peggy McKinney's belief that there is a difference between petty Asiatic dictators and presidents of the greatest nation on earth.
3. Do politics create corpses or do humans create corpses? Is there a difference? Discuss fully.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 6, when Paul mentions that the two presidents (Kennedy and Ngo Diem) die within 21 days of one another, the Truong toc doubts the sorrows are similar. Americans live in another world. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think the Truong toc means when he says Americans live in a different world? How are the two countries different politically as revealed in the text? Explain fully with examples from the text and your own experience.
2. Do you think Americans are more or less likely to grieve for a fallen leader than those in a small Indonesian country such as Vietnam? Explain fully with examples from the text and your own experience.
3. Does the Turong toc seem condescending to Paul? Why or why not? Discuss fully with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 8, the readers are introduced to Yu Lung. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly describe and analyze the character Yu Lung. Is he a protagonist or antagonist? He is presented as well-rounded or flat? What is his purpose in relation to the plot? Is he likeable? How would the plot be impacted if he did not exist?
2. Discuss the topic of horoscopy as presented by Yu Lung. Do his statements seem sincere? Do you think horoscopy is a valid means of making decisions? Why or why not?
3. Ngo Diem and Ngo Nhu make decisions about the future based upon their horoscopy readings. Did they make their deaths a self-fulfilling prophecy? Knowing they were predicted to die in their readings, why do you think they do not try to prevent their deaths? Do they desire martyrdom? How would that help their cause?
This section contains 1,515 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)