|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Paul suddenly understand at the opening of Chapter 3?
(a) Why JFK is assassinated.
(b) Why his girlfriend will not marry him.
(c) Why his wife leaves him.
(d) Why Ngo Diem hates Buddhists.
2. Why do the Ngos see Oswald as useful?
(a) Because he is unstable.
(b) Because he is apolitical.
(c) Because he is a communist.
(d) Because he is a super patriot.
3. About what does Kim talk to Paul while having lunch?
(a) His family's royal history, his present poverty, his service to the exiled Mme. Nhu.
(b) That the third Ngo brother escaped to the United States.
(c) That Kim is a dead man.
(d) That communists are the ones who killed the Ngo brothers.
4. What have people advised Luong when he asks about Lê Thu?
(a) To follow the opium money.
(b) To get a hold of one of the surviving Ngos.
(c) To forget the name.
(d) To look for an open lotus.
5. What does Paul do under his assumed name?
(a) Draws out both American and CHF money.
(b) Eliminates two potential turncoats.
(c) Goes to Amsterdam to await further news.
(d) Hides out at a third class hotel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is mentioned as part of the French culture at the time?
2. Who is Nsango?
3. According to the conversation between the two men, why will the U.S. Marines have to come to the rescue?
4. Who is Molly?
5. Where does Webster have Molly investigated?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Paul's visit with the Ngo Truong toc.
2. What does David Patchen think about Foley?
3. Who does Paul go to meet in Léopoldville and describe the person.
4. Who does Luong send Paul to talk to and why does he recommend Paul talking to this person?
5. What does the letter from David say?
6. Whose corpse does Paul go to see and what is he told there?
7. Describe Paul Christopher's section chief, Barney Wolkowicz.
8. How does Paul avoid going to jail in Vietnam?
9. Give a brief description of Paul Christopher.
10. What is Paul Christopher thinking about as he boards a plane in Bangkok?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)