|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens if the blind lizard does not return to Castaneda?
2. How many buttons does Mescalito tell Castaneda to consume after Castaneda calls the name Mescalito has given him?
3. Two days after Castaneda's lizard ceremony, what does he report to Matus?
4. After seeing flashes of ________, Castaneda sees a fast barrage of images.
5. The worlds of ______ and men overlap, but a crack opens and closes between them.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Castaneda recall after already spending 90 minutes looking for lizards?
2. Why must Castaneda blink many times during his recollection of being a crow?
3. When he is called with "Hey boy!" why doesn't Castaneda come into Matus' house?
4. What do Matus and Castaneda do with the gray jelly while the second portion is prepared?
5. What does Matus have to say about the smoke mixture that Castaneda is preparing on his own now?
6. Describe what happens to Castaneda on the first night of his peyote ceremony.
7. What does Castaneda do when he realizes the figure walking out of the house is not his mentor?
8. Why does Matus believe the Devil's Weed must like Castaneda very much?
9. What are some things Matus tells Castaneda he can do to get his soul back?
10. What convinces Matus that the weed likes Castaneda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A skeptic might have troubles believing the events which take place in this book, according to Castaneda's notes.
Part 1: Describe one peyote experience of Castaneda's.
Part 2: Do you think these events Castaneda documented actually happened? Why or why not?
Part 3: In what ways do you think Castaneda could have made his descriptions more convincing? Or is what he wrote enough?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of having good intentions is something that factors into each session Matus and Castaneda share.
Part 1: Compare the intentions for Matus and Castaneda for at least two sessions they share.
Part 2: Why is it important to have a strong intention for the work the two men are sharing?
Part 3: What do you think might have happened if Castaneda did not have a strong intention for the work he does?
Essay Topic 3
There are three main guides that seem to help Castaneda during the course of the story such as protectors, benefactors, and allies.
Part 1: Define each of the following terms: protectors, benefactors, and allies.
Part 2: What do each of these guides have to teach to Castaneda?
Part 3: Which of the guides do you think would help you the most? Why did you choose the guide you did?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)