|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Castaneda realize he has forgotten after spending 90 minutes searching for the lizards?
2. Mescalito has given a clear lesson that there is only one path and one world of ____________.
3. Matus says that since _______ tests Castaneda all the time, it is only fair to test her again too.
4. ___________ at wake up time convinces Matus that the weed likes Castaneda.
5. What is the name for the four day peyote ceremony that Castaneda does with Matus' help?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Castaneda wake up during his last night of smoking the mixture?
2. What does Matus tell Castaneda the next day after Castaneda has fallen asleep during the smoking?
3. Why does Matus believe the Devil's Weed must like Castaneda very much?
4. What does Matus have to say about the smoke mixture that Castaneda is preparing on his own now?
5. What do Matus and Castaneda do with the gray jelly while the second portion is prepared?
6. Describe the details of Castaneda's final encounter with Mescalito.
7. What does Matus diagnose as Castaneda continues to feel shallow states of non-ordinary reality?
8. What does Castaneda recall after already spending 90 minutes looking for lizards?
9. What does Matus urge Castaneda to do before smoking again?
10. Why must the mixture previously collected and entrusted to Castaneda be used as soon as possible?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a lot of ritual and ceremony in this book, often to encourage the spirits of the plants to work with Castaneda or with Matus.
Part 1: Define the idea of ritual and of ceremony as it is seen in this book.
Part 2: Why is it important that the men attach a ritual or a ceremony to the work they do?
Part 3: What might happen without the addition of ritual or of ceremony? Does it not matter if these aspects are included or not?
Essay Topic 2
The role of Matus in the story is part teacher, part benefactor, and part mystery. He knows much and teaches much, but says little and explains even less.
Part 1: Describe the character of Matus and what makes him a good teacher and medicine man, in your opinion.
Part 2: Why does Matus teach others the secrets he has learned from his benefactor?
Part 3: What do you think Matus gains from teaching others in this story?
Essay Topic 3
The work with Mescalito is intense and in the end quite satisfying for Castaneda.
Part 1: Describe two of the experiences Castaneda has with Mescalito.
Part 2: Does Mescalito seem to be helping Castaneda in his questions and in his lessons? Why or why not?
Part 3: Is Mescalito a separate entity or is it something that is within Castaneda? How did you come to your answer?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)