|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What secretes digestive acids that want to dissolve Castaneda?
2. What is the name for the four day peyote ceremony that Castaneda does with Matus' help?
3. What can Castaneda do in order to fight the person who took away his soul?
4. Who has stolen Castaneda's soul?
5. It is clear Mescalito approves of Castaneda because he appears to Castaneda __________ times.
Short Essay Questions
1. When he is called with "Hey boy!" why doesn't Castaneda come into Matus' house?
2. What does Castaneda hide from after he consumes one more button after talking with Mescalito?
3. What does Matus have to say about the smoke mixture that Castaneda is preparing on his own now?
4. What do Matus and Castaneda do with the gray jelly while the second portion is prepared?
5. What does Matus diagnose as Castaneda continues to feel shallow states of non-ordinary reality?
6. Why must Castaneda blink many times during his recollection of being a crow?
7. What does Castaneda do when he realizes the figure walking out of the house is not his mentor?
8. What does Matus urge Castaneda to do before smoking again?
9. What ingredient is missing from the recipe that Matus learned from his benefactor?
10. Describe the details of Castaneda's final encounter with Mescalito.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The sewing of the lizards is a harsh scene in the book.
Part 1: Describe the sewing of the lizards and why this is done in the story.
Part 2: Wouldn't this harming of the animals be hurting nature and somehow not being grateful to it? Isn't this in direct opposition to the way Matus treats the rest of the gifts of nature?
Part 3: What was your reaction to the images of the lizards? Did you believe this to actually have happened?
Essay Topic 2
The work with Mescalito is intense and in the end quite satisfying for Castaneda.
Part 1: Describe two of the experiences Castaneda has with Mescalito.
Part 2: Does Mescalito seem to be helping Castaneda in his questions and in his lessons? Why or why not?
Part 3: Is Mescalito a separate entity or is it something that is within Castaneda? How did you come to your answer?
Essay Topic 3
At many points of the story, Matus does not give Castaneda answers to his questions, leading to confusion and often frustration in Castaneda.
Part 1: List at least two questions that Castaneda asks of Matus but does not get an answer for.
Part 2: Why do you think Matus chooses not to answer some of Castaneda's questions, but does choose to answer others?
Part 3: Do you think Castaneda would learn more if Matus told him everything up front? Why or why not?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)