|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives Castaneda the strength to run back to the group and to embrace them on his last night?
2. Whatever the song Castaneda has learned is for the _____________ to clarify.
3. What do the two men eat in preparation for their ceremony?
4. What has Castaneda become more familiar with at every meeting?
5. What is the name for the four day peyote ceremony that Castaneda does with Matus' help?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens to Castaneda on the first night of his peyote ceremony.
2. What do Matus and Castaneda do with the gray jelly while the second portion is prepared?
3. What does Castaneda hide from after he consumes one more button after talking with Mescalito?
4. What does Matus have to say about the smoke mixture that Castaneda is preparing on his own now?
5. Where does Castaneda wake up during his last night of smoking the mixture?
6. Why must Castaneda blink many times during his recollection of being a crow?
7. What happens as Castaneda sings his song to Mescalito during the peyote ceremony?
8. What does Matus diagnose as Castaneda continues to feel shallow states of non-ordinary reality?
9. Describe how Castaneda feels after smoking the mixture in Matus' pipe.
10. What does Castaneda do when he realizes the figure walking out of the house is not his mentor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between Matus and Castaneda is the guiding force in the story, each helping the other learn and grow in their understanding of themselves.
Part 1: Describe the relationship between Matus and Castaneda at the beginning of this book, before their work together begins.
Part 2: Compare and contrast the relationship between Matus and Castaneda from the beginning of the book to the end of the book. What changes?
Part 3: Why do you think Matus took Castaneda on as a student? What reasons might he have had outside of what he shared?
Essay Topic 2
One of the things many readers question about the book Castaneda writes is its validity. After all, the reader is not there to see whether these events actually took place.
Part 1: Cite some details in the story that might make a reader question the truthfulness of this story.
Part 2: Cite some details in the story that might make a reader more convinced the events actually took place.
Part 3: Does it matter if the events in the story actually happened? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The lessons Castaneda learns during this story are many, both from the medicines he takes and the discussions with Matus.
Part 1: List at least three lessons Castaneda has learned from his work with Matus.
Part 2: How has Castaneda changed as a person since beginning the work with Matus?
Part 3: Do you think Castaneda is forever changed by his experiences? Why or why not?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)