|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Castaneda absentmindedly spread the paste?
2. What pulls loose as Castaneda wipes his nose and his face?
3. What has Castaneda become more familiar with at every meeting?
4. In what direction are the crows going to fly, according to what Castaneda's vision told him?
5. Matus dismisses Castaneda's idea that he has reached a ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Castaneda hide from after he consumes one more button after talking with Mescalito?
2. What convinces Matus that the weed likes Castaneda?
3. Describe the details of Castaneda's final encounter with Mescalito.
4. What does Castaneda do when he realizes the figure walking out of the house is not his mentor?
5. What happens as Castaneda sings his song to Mescalito during the peyote ceremony?
6. What do Matus and Castaneda do with the gray jelly while the second portion is prepared?
7. What does Castaneda recall after already spending 90 minutes looking for lizards?
8. What does Matus tell Castaneda the next day after Castaneda has fallen asleep during the smoking?
9. Why must Castaneda blink many times during his recollection of being a crow?
10. Why does Matus believe the Devil's Weed must like Castaneda very much?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of the 'man of knowledge' is one that Matus and Castaneda often repeat during this book's pages.
Part 1: Who or what is the 'man of knowledge?'
Part 2: Why is this 'man of knowledge' so important in the book?
Part 3: Is Castaneda striving to become a man of knowledge? Why or why not? Is Matus already a man of knowledge? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
To some, the actions in this story might seem to be based on superstition instead of on actual fact and truth.
Part 1: List at least three actions taken in this story that seem to be based on superstition.
Part 2: Do you think the warnings that go along with these actions are based on truth? Would something bad happen if the warnings were not heeded? Why or why not?
Part 3: Explain the reasons for using such warnings with a student in this plant medicine.
Essay Topic 3
The work with Mescalito is intense and in the end quite satisfying for Castaneda.
Part 1: Describe two of the experiences Castaneda has with Mescalito.
Part 2: Does Mescalito seem to be helping Castaneda in his questions and in his lessons? Why or why not?
Part 3: Is Mescalito a separate entity or is it something that is within Castaneda? How did you come to your answer?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)