|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The smoke, says Matus, deals in ________ while the weed flatters and makes one feel good.
2. What kind of animal has Castaneda's head turned into?
3. What does Castaneda do when he finally sees the real Matus before him?
4. What does Castaneda realize he has forgotten after spending 90 minutes searching for the lizards?
5. What pulls loose as Castaneda wipes his nose and his face?
Short Essay Questions
1. What convinces Matus that the weed likes Castaneda?
2. Where does Castaneda wake up during his last night of smoking the mixture?
3. What does Matus tell Castaneda the next day after Castaneda has fallen asleep during the smoking?
4. Why does Matus laugh at Castaneda as he tries to meet with his ally again?
5. What does Matus urge Castaneda to do before smoking again?
6. Describe what happens to Castaneda on the first night of his peyote ceremony.
7. What does Castaneda do when he realizes the figure walking out of the house is not his mentor?
8. What does Matus provide for Castaneda as they read themselves to test Devil's Weed again?
9. Why does Matus believe the Devil's Weed must like Castaneda very much?
10. Describe how Castaneda feels after smoking the mixture in Matus' pipe.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of the 'man of knowledge' is one that Matus and Castaneda often repeat during this book's pages.
Part 1: Who or what is the 'man of knowledge?'
Part 2: Why is this 'man of knowledge' so important in the book?
Part 3: Is Castaneda striving to become a man of knowledge? Why or why not? Is Matus already a man of knowledge? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There are three main guides that seem to help Castaneda during the course of the story such as protectors, benefactors, and allies.
Part 1: Define each of the following terms: protectors, benefactors, and allies.
Part 2: What do each of these guides have to teach to Castaneda?
Part 3: Which of the guides do you think would help you the most? Why did you choose the guide you did?
Essay Topic 3
The work with Mescalito is intense and in the end quite satisfying for Castaneda.
Part 1: Describe two of the experiences Castaneda has with Mescalito.
Part 2: Does Mescalito seem to be helping Castaneda in his questions and in his lessons? Why or why not?
Part 3: Is Mescalito a separate entity or is it something that is within Castaneda? How did you come to your answer?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)