|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Castaneda circle in order to determine its position?
2. Matus urges Castaneda to learn more about ________ power before smoking again.
3. Matus says that since _______ tests Castaneda all the time, it is only fair to test her again too.
4. Castaneda is having troubles letting go of shallow states of non-ordinary ____________.
5. When Castaneda realizes it is time to land, he floats down like a ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Castaneda wake up during his last night of smoking the mixture?
2. Why must Castaneda blink many times during his recollection of being a crow?
3. What are some things Matus tells Castaneda he can do to get his soul back?
4. What does Castaneda see when he wakes up beside his plant?
5. What ingredient is missing from the recipe that Matus learned from his benefactor?
6. What does Matus have to say about the smoke mixture that Castaneda is preparing on his own now?
7. Describe what happens to Castaneda on the first night of his peyote ceremony.
8. What does Matus diagnose as Castaneda continues to feel shallow states of non-ordinary reality?
9. What do Matus and Castaneda do with the gray jelly while the second portion is prepared?
10. What does Castaneda recall after already spending 90 minutes looking for lizards?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between Matus and Castaneda is the guiding force in the story, each helping the other learn and grow in their understanding of themselves.
Part 1: Describe the relationship between Matus and Castaneda at the beginning of this book, before their work together begins.
Part 2: Compare and contrast the relationship between Matus and Castaneda from the beginning of the book to the end of the book. What changes?
Part 3: Why do you think Matus took Castaneda on as a student? What reasons might he have had outside of what he shared?
Essay Topic 2
The Jimson Weed is said to give its user feelings of power and of total domination over others, which can make men change in positive and in negative ways.
Part 1: How is power defined in relation to Jimson Weed? What kinds of power does the weed provide?
Part 2: Why is this feeling of power something that is harmful to those who utilize the weed?
Part 3: Why do you think this plant is used in order to teach students if it is also something which might corrupt them?
Essay Topic 3
There are three main guides that seem to help Castaneda during the course of the story such as protectors, benefactors, and allies.
Part 1: Define each of the following terms: protectors, benefactors, and allies.
Part 2: What do each of these guides have to teach to Castaneda?
Part 3: Which of the guides do you think would help you the most? Why did you choose the guide you did?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)