|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Matus diagnose as being the problem with Castaneda?
2. What is the young man who Castaneda sees hurrying carrying in his arms?
3. What does Matus yell to Castaneda that makes him feel like this does not ring true for him?
4. What makes Castaneda feel uplifted and like he wants to weep?
5. Castaneda believes Matus is trying to create doubt in his mind about his ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Castaneda do when he realizes the figure walking out of the house is not his mentor?
2. What happens as Castaneda sings his song to Mescalito during the peyote ceremony?
3. Describe what happens to Castaneda on the first night of his peyote ceremony.
4. Why doesn't Matus need to smoke much anymore, though he still makes a new mixture each year?
5. Why must Castaneda blink many times during his recollection of being a crow?
6. What ingredient is missing from the recipe that Matus learned from his benefactor?
7. What does Castaneda see when he wakes up beside his plant?
8. What convinces Matus that the weed likes Castaneda?
9. What does Castaneda hide from after he consumes one more button after talking with Mescalito?
10. Why does Matus believe the Devil's Weed must like Castaneda very much?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of Matus in the story is part teacher, part benefactor, and part mystery. He knows much and teaches much, but says little and explains even less.
Part 1: Describe the character of Matus and what makes him a good teacher and medicine man, in your opinion.
Part 2: Why does Matus teach others the secrets he has learned from his benefactor?
Part 3: What do you think Matus gains from teaching others in this story?
Essay Topic 2
In the world around them, Matus and Castaneda become aware of signs and signals that tell them whether or not they are on the right path.
Part 1: Cite three examples of signs Matus and Castaneda see in the world around them. What do they mean?
Part 2: Why do you think Matus trusts nature so much to tell him what he needs to know?
Part 3: In what ways do people today look to nature to help them make decisions about their lives?
Essay Topic 3
The Jimson Weed is said to give its user feelings of power and of total domination over others, which can make men change in positive and in negative ways.
Part 1: How is power defined in relation to Jimson Weed? What kinds of power does the weed provide?
Part 2: Why is this feeling of power something that is harmful to those who utilize the weed?
Part 3: Why do you think this plant is used in order to teach students if it is also something which might corrupt them?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)