|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days has it taken for Castaneda to come back during his last experience with the smoke?
2. What happens if the blind lizard does not return to Castaneda?
3. Two days after Castaneda's lizard ceremony, what does he report to Matus?
4. Matus tells Castaneda not to ____ and to do what he says.
5. Castaneda is profoundly distressed for hours, a common occurrence among those who lack _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Matus urge Castaneda to do before smoking again?
2. What does Matus provide for Castaneda as they read themselves to test Devil's Weed again?
3. What does Castaneda do when he realizes the figure walking out of the house is not his mentor?
4. What do Matus and Castaneda do with the gray jelly while the second portion is prepared?
5. Where does Castaneda wake up during his last night of smoking the mixture?
6. When he is called with "Hey boy!" why doesn't Castaneda come into Matus' house?
7. What does Castaneda see when he wakes up beside his plant?
8. What happens as Castaneda sings his song to Mescalito during the peyote ceremony?
9. Why must the mixture previously collected and entrusted to Castaneda be used as soon as possible?
10. Why doesn't Matus need to smoke much anymore, though he still makes a new mixture each year?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To some, the actions in this story might seem to be based on superstition instead of on actual fact and truth.
Part 1: List at least three actions taken in this story that seem to be based on superstition.
Part 2: Do you think the warnings that go along with these actions are based on truth? Would something bad happen if the warnings were not heeded? Why or why not?
Part 3: Explain the reasons for using such warnings with a student in this plant medicine.
Essay Topic 2
The knowledge Castaneda gains is certainly stunning when one looks at the final summary of Castaneda's experiences.
Part 1: What are three of the points Castaneda makes in the final section of the book?
Part 2: Does this knowledge come from the plants directly or from Castaneda's subconscious? Why do you answer the way you do?
Part 3: Do you think Castaneda would have learned more if he has studied with Matus more frequently? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
While Castaneda is in the role of the student in this story, he is also in the role of the researcher.
Part 1: Does Castaneda's need to collect information for his project get in the way of his work with Matus? How?
Part 2: Do you think Castaneda is biased in his work with Matus? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might Castaneda have better balanced his roles as a student and researcher in order to get more out of each role?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)