|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Matus says that since _______ tests Castaneda all the time, it is only fair to test her again too.
2. What gives Castaneda the strength to run back to the group and to embrace them on his last night?
3. What would have happened to Castaneda had he moved from his beneficial spot on the porch?
4. The worlds of ______ and men overlap, but a crack opens and closes between them.
5. What makes Castaneda feel uplifted and like he wants to weep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Matus need to smoke much anymore, though he still makes a new mixture each year?
2. What does Castaneda see when he wakes up beside his plant?
3. Why does Matus believe the Devil's Weed must like Castaneda very much?
4. What convinces Matus that the weed likes Castaneda?
5. What happens as Castaneda sings his song to Mescalito during the peyote ceremony?
6. Why must the mixture previously collected and entrusted to Castaneda be used as soon as possible?
7. What are some things Matus tells Castaneda he can do to get his soul back?
8. Describe the details of Castaneda's final encounter with Mescalito.
9. Describe how Castaneda feels after smoking the mixture in Matus' pipe.
10. Where does Castaneda wake up during his last night of smoking the mixture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A skeptic might have troubles believing the events which take place in this book, according to Castaneda's notes.
Part 1: Describe one peyote experience of Castaneda's.
Part 2: Do you think these events Castaneda documented actually happened? Why or why not?
Part 3: In what ways do you think Castaneda could have made his descriptions more convincing? Or is what he wrote enough?
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between Matus and Castaneda is the guiding force in the story, each helping the other learn and grow in their understanding of themselves.
Part 1: Describe the relationship between Matus and Castaneda at the beginning of this book, before their work together begins.
Part 2: Compare and contrast the relationship between Matus and Castaneda from the beginning of the book to the end of the book. What changes?
Part 3: Why do you think Matus took Castaneda on as a student? What reasons might he have had outside of what he shared?
Essay Topic 3
At many points of the story, Matus does not give Castaneda answers to his questions, leading to confusion and often frustration in Castaneda.
Part 1: List at least two questions that Castaneda asks of Matus but does not get an answer for.
Part 2: Why do you think Matus chooses not to answer some of Castaneda's questions, but does choose to answer others?
Part 3: Do you think Castaneda would learn more if Matus told him everything up front? Why or why not?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)