|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Castaneda must remember the order in which he stacks the _____ as this will have to be repeated going forward.
2. How many buttons does Mescalito tell Castaneda to consume after Castaneda calls the name Mescalito has given him?
3. The worlds of ______ and men overlap, but a crack opens and closes between them.
4. What does Castaneda realize he has forgotten after spending 90 minutes searching for the lizards?
5. Matus does not want a description of Castaneda's experience because he has not traveled anywhere or ______________.
Essay Topic 1
In the world around them, Matus and Castaneda become aware of signs and signals that tell them whether or not they are on the right path.
Part 1: Cite three examples of signs Matus and Castaneda see in the world around them. What do they mean?
Part 2: Why do you think Matus trusts nature so much to tell him what he needs to know?
Part 3: In what ways do people today look to nature to help them make decisions about their lives?
Essay Topic 2
There is a lot of ritual and ceremony in this book, often to encourage the spirits of the plants to work with Castaneda or with Matus.
Part 1: Define the idea of ritual and of ceremony as it is seen in this book.
Part 2: Why is it important that the men attach a ritual or a ceremony to the work they do?
Part 3: What might happen without the addition of ritual or of ceremony? Does it not matter if these aspects are included or not?
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between Matus and Castaneda is the guiding force in the story, each helping the other learn and grow in their understanding of themselves.
Part 1: Describe the relationship between Matus and Castaneda at the beginning of this book, before their work together begins.
Part 2: Compare and contrast the relationship between Matus and Castaneda from the beginning of the book to the end of the book. What changes?
Part 3: Why do you think Matus took Castaneda on as a student? What reasons might he have had outside of what he shared?
This section contains 1,740 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)