|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Castaneda is profoundly distressed for hours, a common occurrence among those who lack _____________.
2. Castaneda's vision tells him to return where to think about his plan to escape?
3. Castaneda must learn to ___________ like a crow, which is difficult, but not painful.
4. Where does Castaneda awaken when he consumes the last of the smoke mixture?
5. What happens if the blind lizard does not return to Castaneda?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Castaneda hide from after he consumes one more button after talking with Mescalito?
2. What ingredient is missing from the recipe that Matus learned from his benefactor?
3. Why doesn't Matus need to smoke much anymore, though he still makes a new mixture each year?
4. What does Castaneda see when he wakes up beside his plant?
5. Describe what happens to Castaneda on the first night of his peyote ceremony.
6. Why does Matus believe the Devil's Weed must like Castaneda very much?
7. Describe how Castaneda feels after smoking the mixture in Matus' pipe.
8. What happens as Castaneda sings his song to Mescalito during the peyote ceremony?
9. What does Castaneda do when he realizes the figure walking out of the house is not his mentor?
10. What does Castaneda recall after already spending 90 minutes looking for lizards?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A skeptic might have troubles believing the events which take place in this book, according to Castaneda's notes.
Part 1: Describe one peyote experience of Castaneda's.
Part 2: Do you think these events Castaneda documented actually happened? Why or why not?
Part 3: In what ways do you think Castaneda could have made his descriptions more convincing? Or is what he wrote enough?
Essay Topic 2
In the world around them, Matus and Castaneda become aware of signs and signals that tell them whether or not they are on the right path.
Part 1: Cite three examples of signs Matus and Castaneda see in the world around them. What do they mean?
Part 2: Why do you think Matus trusts nature so much to tell him what he needs to know?
Part 3: In what ways do people today look to nature to help them make decisions about their lives?
Essay Topic 3
At many points of the story, Matus does not give Castaneda answers to his questions, leading to confusion and often frustration in Castaneda.
Part 1: List at least two questions that Castaneda asks of Matus but does not get an answer for.
Part 2: Why do you think Matus chooses not to answer some of Castaneda's questions, but does choose to answer others?
Part 3: Do you think Castaneda would learn more if Matus told him everything up front? Why or why not?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)