|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Castaneda studying at the University of California, Los Angeles?
2. The day after the sorcery, one must return to the ________ and ask the two participating lizards to come out again.
3. What is the other name Matus uses for 'teacher' in the story?
4. What are sensitive and destroy themselves if they do not like new hands?
5. Castaneda should focus on his _________ rather than on his fear.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Carlos Castaneda want to work with Don Juan Matus?
2. After a year of sidestepping questions from Castaneda about Peyote, what does Matus account?
3. What area does Castaneda mark with his jacket?
4. Though Castaneda and Matus are not able to work together all the time, what does this provide to Castaneda?
5. Why is Matus not on his porch as usual on November 23rd, causing Castaneda to worry?
6. Why does Matus declare all is well the next evening after Castaneda has taken the buttons?
7. What question does Matus initially refuse to answer, saying that it is inappropriate for ordinary conversations?
8. Describe the appearance of the two lizards that Matus shows to Castaneda.
9. What does Matus claim is proof that the Jimson Weed likes Castaneda?
10. What does Castaneda do with the dog he sees while he is taking the mescalitos?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Castaneda has to fight other spirits which mean him harm, we can see just how engaged he must be in his work.
Part 1: Why does Castaneda recognize the spirits he fights to be out to harm him?
Part 2: What might have happened if Castaneda did not try to fight back?
Part 3: What was the purpose of the fighting with those imitators? What does this teach Castaneda?
Essay Topic 2
The Jimson Weed is said to give its user feelings of power and of total domination over others, which can make men change in positive and in negative ways.
Part 1: How is power defined in relation to Jimson Weed? What kinds of power does the weed provide?
Part 2: Why is this feeling of power something that is harmful to those who utilize the weed?
Part 3: Why do you think this plant is used in order to teach students if it is also something which might corrupt them?
Essay Topic 3
The sewing of the lizards is a harsh scene in the book.
Part 1: Describe the sewing of the lizards and why this is done in the story.
Part 2: Wouldn't this harming of the animals be hurting nature and somehow not being grateful to it? Isn't this in direct opposition to the way Matus treats the rest of the gifts of nature?
Part 3: What was your reaction to the images of the lizards? Did you believe this to actually have happened?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)