Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Castaneda studying at the University of California, Los Angeles?
2. What happens to the answer in #45 as it drinks?
3. Who does Castaneda see carrying a large knapsack?
4. Castaneda should focus on his _________ rather than on his fear.
5. What does he use for the spot where the porch turns from chartreuse to other colors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What area does Castaneda mark with his jacket?
2. Two years after accepting an apprentice, what does Matus prepare to do with Castaneda?
3. What does Castaneda do when he realizes the figure walking out of the house is not his mentor?
4. What has Matus decided Castaneda is ready to endure?
5. Why must the mixture previously collected and entrusted to Castaneda be used as soon as possible?
6. How does Datura enslave her followers, according to Castaneda?
7. What is the question Castaneda asks of the lizards as he was instructed not to ask anything personal the first time?
8. Why does Castaneda know more about Mescalito than Matus does?
9. What happens when Castaneda's guide and helper arranges a meeting between Castaneda and Matus?
10. Describe the details of Castaneda's final encounter with Mescalito.
Essay Topic 1
When Castaneda has to fight other spirits which mean him harm, we can see just how engaged he must be in his work.
Part 1: Why does Castaneda recognize the spirits he fights to be out to harm him?
Part 2: What might have happened if Castaneda did not try to fight back?
Part 3: What was the purpose of the fighting with those imitators? What does this teach Castaneda?
Essay Topic 2
The sewing of the lizards is a harsh scene in the book.
Part 1: Describe the sewing of the lizards and why this is done in the story.
Part 2: Wouldn't this harming of the animals be hurting nature and somehow not being grateful to it? Isn't this in direct opposition to the way Matus treats the rest of the gifts of nature?
Part 3: What was your reaction to the images of the lizards? Did you believe this to actually have happened?
Essay Topic 3
The lessons Castaneda learns during this story are many, both from the medicines he takes and the discussions with Matus.
Part 1: List at least three lessons Castaneda has learned from his work with Matus.
Part 2: How has Castaneda changed as a person since beginning the work with Matus?
Part 3: Do you think Castaneda is forever changed by his experiences? Why or why not?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)