|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does he use for the spot where the porch turns from chartreuse to other colors?
2. There are millions of paths and one must follow only the one that has a __________.
3. What does Castaneda fall asleep by when he begins to sense the energies of the porch?
4. How has Castaneda has kept track of his experiences with Matus?
5. Matus grows angry when Castaneda can not realize the dog is really ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the appearance of the two lizards that Matus shows to Castaneda.
2. Though Castaneda and Matus are not able to work together all the time, what does this provide to Castaneda?
3. What question does Matus initially refuse to answer, saying that it is inappropriate for ordinary conversations?
4. Two years after accepting an apprentice, what does Matus prepare to do with Castaneda?
5. What has Matus decided Castaneda is ready to endure?
6. Once someone knows Mescalito well, what does 'he' appear as?
7. What will a person gain if they take Datura's second portion at least twenty times?
8. Which spot is the spot that Castaneda feels most comfortable and happy?
9. What does Castaneda do with the dog he sees while he is taking the mescalitos?
10. What area does Castaneda mark with his jacket?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Castaneda is in the role of the student in this story, he is also in the role of the researcher.
Part 1: Does Castaneda's need to collect information for his project get in the way of his work with Matus? How?
Part 2: Do you think Castaneda is biased in his work with Matus? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might Castaneda have better balanced his roles as a student and researcher in order to get more out of each role?
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between Matus and Castaneda is the guiding force in the story, each helping the other learn and grow in their understanding of themselves.
Part 1: Describe the relationship between Matus and Castaneda at the beginning of this book, before their work together begins.
Part 2: Compare and contrast the relationship between Matus and Castaneda from the beginning of the book to the end of the book. What changes?
Part 3: Why do you think Matus took Castaneda on as a student? What reasons might he have had outside of what he shared?
Essay Topic 3
The Jimson Weed is said to give its user feelings of power and of total domination over others, which can make men change in positive and in negative ways.
Part 1: How is power defined in relation to Jimson Weed? What kinds of power does the weed provide?
Part 2: Why is this feeling of power something that is harmful to those who utilize the weed?
Part 3: Why do you think this plant is used in order to teach students if it is also something which might corrupt them?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)