|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ___________ is used to acquire wisdom and to learn how to live right.
2. What happens to the answer in #45 as it drinks?
3. How many Indians are sitting on the porch when Castaneda arrives to meet with Matus?
4. What does Castaneda fall asleep by when he begins to sense the energies of the porch?
5. There are millions of paths and one must follow only the one that has a __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the name that Matus gives to his own teacher and what does it mean?
2. What question does Matus initially refuse to answer, saying that it is inappropriate for ordinary conversations?
3. What will a person gain if they take Datura's second portion at least twenty times?
4. What area does Castaneda mark with his shoe?
5. Though Castaneda and Matus are not able to work together all the time, what does this provide to Castaneda?
6. What does Castaneda do with the dog he sees while he is taking the mescalitos?
7. What is the test Matus has for Castaneda in order to determine if he dares to meet Mescalito?
8. Two years after accepting an apprentice, what does Matus prepare to do with Castaneda?
9. What does Castaneda focus on the Indians' pre-contact use of, as illustrated by his experiences in this book?
10. Why is Matus not on his porch as usual on November 23rd, causing Castaneda to worry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are three main guides that seem to help Castaneda during the course of the story such as protectors, benefactors, and allies.
Part 1: Define each of the following terms: protectors, benefactors, and allies.
Part 2: What do each of these guides have to teach to Castaneda?
Part 3: Which of the guides do you think would help you the most? Why did you choose the guide you did?
Essay Topic 2
In the world around them, Matus and Castaneda become aware of signs and signals that tell them whether or not they are on the right path.
Part 1: Cite three examples of signs Matus and Castaneda see in the world around them. What do they mean?
Part 2: Why do you think Matus trusts nature so much to tell him what he needs to know?
Part 3: In what ways do people today look to nature to help them make decisions about their lives?
Essay Topic 3
When Castaneda has to fight other spirits which mean him harm, we can see just how engaged he must be in his work.
Part 1: Why does Castaneda recognize the spirits he fights to be out to harm him?
Part 2: What might have happened if Castaneda did not try to fight back?
Part 3: What was the purpose of the fighting with those imitators? What does this teach Castaneda?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)