|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Matus knows Castaneda's good _______________ and tests him.
2. What is the final ingredient in the smoke mixture Castaneda and Matus are making?
3. What is the figurine of the man carded from a female Datura root, holding an agave thorn like a spear?
4. What does Castaneda gain from not being able to study with Matus for longer period of time?
5. Where do Matus and Castaneda go in order to hunt for honguitos?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do people keep Mescalito in a bag fastened around their arm or neck?
2. Why does Matus grow angry with Castaneda after his experience?
3. What does Castaneda begin to experience by the sixth cycle of taking dry buttons?
4. Why does Castaneda know more about Mescalito than Matus does?
5. What is the name that Matus gives to his own teacher and what does it mean?
6. What does Matus not like about Jimson Weed, the next plant that Castaneda and he explore together?
7. Why does Matus declare all is well the next evening after Castaneda has taken the buttons?
8. What has Matus decided Castaneda is ready to endure?
9. What area does Castaneda mark with his jacket?
10. Though Castaneda and Matus are not able to work together all the time, what does this provide to Castaneda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sometimes the experiences Castaneda has during this story are seemingly times when he goes mad or loses control of his senses.
Part 1: Describe the scene in which Castaneda is playing with the black dog.
Part 2: Do you think this black dog is real? Why or why not?
Part 3: What are some other explanations for the presence of the black dog in this scene?
Essay Topic 2
There are three main guides that seem to help Castaneda during the course of the story such as protectors, benefactors, and allies.
Part 1: Define each of the following terms: protectors, benefactors, and allies.
Part 2: What do each of these guides have to teach to Castaneda?
Part 3: Which of the guides do you think would help you the most? Why did you choose the guide you did?
Essay Topic 3
The Jimson Weed is said to give its user feelings of power and of total domination over others, which can make men change in positive and in negative ways.
Part 1: How is power defined in relation to Jimson Weed? What kinds of power does the weed provide?
Part 2: Why is this feeling of power something that is harmful to those who utilize the weed?
Part 3: Why do you think this plant is used in order to teach students if it is also something which might corrupt them?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)