Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Castaneda studying at the University of California, Los Angeles?
2. What happens to the answer in #45 as it drinks?
3. Who does Castaneda see carrying a large knapsack?
4. Castaneda should focus on his _________ rather than on his fear.
5. What does he use for the spot where the porch turns from chartreuse to other colors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What area does Castaneda mark with his jacket?
2. Two years after accepting an apprentice, what does Matus prepare to do with Castaneda?
3. What does Castaneda do when he realizes the figure walking out of the house is not his mentor?
4. What has Matus decided Castaneda is ready to endure?
5. Why must the mixture previously collected and entrusted to Castaneda be used as soon as possible?
6. How does Datura enslave her followers, according to Castaneda?
7. What is the question Castaneda asks of the lizards as he was instructed not to ask anything personal the first time?
8. Why does Castaneda know more about Mescalito than Matus does?
9. What happens when Castaneda's guide and helper arranges a meeting between Castaneda and Matus?
10. Describe the details of Castaneda's final encounter with Mescalito.
To some, the actions in this story might seem to be based on superstition instead of on actual fact and truth.
Part 1: List at least three actions taken in this story that seem to be based on superstition.
Part 2: Do you think the warnings that go along with these actions are based on truth? Would something bad happen if the warnings were not heeded? Why or why not?
Part 3: Explain the reasons for using such warnings with a student in this plant medicine.
The idea of having good intentions is something that factors into each session Matus and Castaneda share.
Part 1: Compare the intentions for Matus and Castaneda for at least two sessions they share.
Part 2: Why is it important to have a strong intention for the work the two men are sharing?
Part 3: What do you think might have happened if Castaneda did not have a strong intention for the work he does?
At many points of the story, Matus does not give Castaneda answers to his questions, leading to confusion and often frustration in Castaneda.
Part 1: List at least two questions that Castaneda asks of Matus but does not get an answer for.
Part 2: Why do you think Matus chooses not to answer some of Castaneda's questions, but does choose to answer others?
Part 3: Do you think Castaneda would learn more if Matus told him everything up front? Why or why not?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)