|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The day after the sorcery, one must return to the ________ and ask the two participating lizards to come out again.
2. What is the other name given to a person who is considered to be a medicine man?
3. What are sensitive and destroy themselves if they do not like new hands?
4. What does Castaneda think Matus is doing to him after the test?
5. This new ally can distort men by giving them a taste of ___________ too soon without fortifying their hearts.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Castaneda know more about Mescalito than Matus does?
2. What is the question Castaneda asks of the lizards as he was instructed not to ask anything personal the first time?
3. What does Matus not like about Jimson Weed, the next plant that Castaneda and he explore together?
4. What is the test Matus has for Castaneda in order to determine if he dares to meet Mescalito?
5. What has Matus decided Castaneda is ready to endure?
6. Why does Matus declare all is well the next evening after Castaneda has taken the buttons?
7. What question does Matus initially refuse to answer, saying that it is inappropriate for ordinary conversations?
8. Why do people keep Mescalito in a bag fastened around their arm or neck?
9. Why is Matus not on his porch as usual on November 23rd, causing Castaneda to worry?
10. After a year of sidestepping questions from Castaneda about Peyote, what does Matus account?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To some, the actions in this story might seem to be based on superstition instead of on actual fact and truth.
Part 1: List at least three actions taken in this story that seem to be based on superstition.
Part 2: Do you think the warnings that go along with these actions are based on truth? Would something bad happen if the warnings were not heeded? Why or why not?
Part 3: Explain the reasons for using such warnings with a student in this plant medicine.
Essay Topic 2
Sometimes the experiences Castaneda has during this story are seemingly times when he goes mad or loses control of his senses.
Part 1: Describe the scene in which Castaneda is playing with the black dog.
Part 2: Do you think this black dog is real? Why or why not?
Part 3: What are some other explanations for the presence of the black dog in this scene?
Essay Topic 3
In the world around them, Matus and Castaneda become aware of signs and signals that tell them whether or not they are on the right path.
Part 1: Cite three examples of signs Matus and Castaneda see in the world around them. What do they mean?
Part 2: Why do you think Matus trusts nature so much to tell him what he needs to know?
Part 3: In what ways do people today look to nature to help them make decisions about their lives?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)