|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of plants do Matus and Castaneda begin to father in the canyons?
2. What does Matus prepare for Castaneda from the root extract?
3. The spot that makes Castaneda feel comfortable is called his ______________.
4. Anything can be a ______________, these are childish toys that are needed only when one lacks an ally.
5. Who is Castaneda meant to meet face to face as a result of this test?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Matus decided Castaneda is ready to endure?
2. What will a person gain if they take Datura's second portion at least twenty times?
3. What are the four 'heads' of Jimson Weed, or Devil's Weed?
4. Why does Carlos Castaneda want to work with Don Juan Matus?
5. Why does Matus grow angry with Castaneda after his experience?
6. Once someone knows Mescalito well, what does 'he' appear as?
7. Two years after accepting an apprentice, what does Matus prepare to do with Castaneda?
8. What is the advice Matus gives to Castaneda as he is being tested to see if he is worthy of Mescalito?
9. When Matus laughs at Castaneda's discomfort, what is the piece of advice he shares?
10. What are the differences between the male and the female Jimson Weed plants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To some, the actions in this story might seem to be based on superstition instead of on actual fact and truth.
Part 1: List at least three actions taken in this story that seem to be based on superstition.
Part 2: Do you think the warnings that go along with these actions are based on truth? Would something bad happen if the warnings were not heeded? Why or why not?
Part 3: Explain the reasons for using such warnings with a student in this plant medicine.
Essay Topic 2
Sometimes the experiences Castaneda has during this story are seemingly times when he goes mad or loses control of his senses.
Part 1: Describe the scene in which Castaneda is playing with the black dog.
Part 2: Do you think this black dog is real? Why or why not?
Part 3: What are some other explanations for the presence of the black dog in this scene?
Essay Topic 3
The role of Matus in the story is part teacher, part benefactor, and part mystery. He knows much and teaches much, but says little and explains even less.
Part 1: Describe the character of Matus and what makes him a good teacher and medicine man, in your opinion.
Part 2: Why does Matus teach others the secrets he has learned from his benefactor?
Part 3: What do you think Matus gains from teaching others in this story?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)