|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Matus begins teaching Castaneda about Datura's ________ where real learning begins.
2. Matus grows angry when Castaneda can not realize the dog is really ________.
3. What is made of equal portions of Datura seeds and the weevils that live off of them?
4. If 'he' does not find Castaneda __________, their friendship would be lost.
5. The opinions of those willing to talk about Mescalito are worth ________, according to Matus.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Carlos Castaneda want to work with Don Juan Matus?
2. Why must the mixture previously collected and entrusted to Castaneda be used as soon as possible?
3. Describe the details of Castaneda's final encounter with Mescalito.
4. What are the differences between the male and the female Jimson Weed plants?
5. Why does Matus believe the Devil's Weed must like Castaneda very much?
6. What does Matus diagnose as Castaneda continues to feel shallow states of non-ordinary reality?
7. What does Castaneda hide from after he consumes one more button after talking with Mescalito?
8. What are some things Matus tells Castaneda he can do to get his soul back?
9. Two years after accepting an apprentice, what does Matus prepare to do with Castaneda?
10. What will a person gain if they take Datura's second portion at least twenty times?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between Matus and Castaneda is the guiding force in the story, each helping the other learn and grow in their understanding of themselves.
Part 1: Describe the relationship between Matus and Castaneda at the beginning of this book, before their work together begins.
Part 2: Compare and contrast the relationship between Matus and Castaneda from the beginning of the book to the end of the book. What changes?
Part 3: Why do you think Matus took Castaneda on as a student? What reasons might he have had outside of what he shared?
Essay Topic 2
In the story, Castaneda is slowly led to the answers he is looking for, through the careful instruction by Matus. At times, the lessons are quite difficult and at other times, they can seem like common sense.
Part 1: Describe the process in which Castaneda has to collect the ingredients to make his own smoke.
Part 2: Why is it important for Castaneda to learn this long and drawn out process?
Part 3: Why do you think the process of learning about smoke mixture creation is so long and detailed?
Essay Topic 3
There is a lot of ritual and ceremony in this book, often to encourage the spirits of the plants to work with Castaneda or with Matus.
Part 1: Define the idea of ritual and of ceremony as it is seen in this book.
Part 2: Why is it important that the men attach a ritual or a ceremony to the work they do?
Part 3: What might happen without the addition of ritual or of ceremony? Does it not matter if these aspects are included or not?
This section contains 2,043 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)