|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is repulsing and frightening to him in one of the places he has marked?
2. What is the final ingredient in the smoke mixture Castaneda and Matus are making?
3. What are sensitive and destroy themselves if they do not like new hands?
4. There are millions of paths and one must follow only the one that has a __________.
5. Castaneda should focus on his _________ rather than on his fear.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Castaneda see when he wakes up beside his plant?
2. What is the test Matus has for Castaneda in order to determine if he dares to meet Mescalito?
3. What are some things Matus tells Castaneda he can do to get his soul back?
4. Why does Carlos Castaneda want to work with Don Juan Matus?
5. What does Matus not like about Jimson Weed, the next plant that Castaneda and he explore together?
6. Describe what happens to Castaneda on the first night of his peyote ceremony.
7. Why must the mixture previously collected and entrusted to Castaneda be used as soon as possible?
8. What will happen if Castaneda does not receive his first 7 mescalitos from someone other than Matus?
9. What are some of the qualities of the rules that were given to Castaneda in his experiences?
10. What is the question Castaneda asks of the lizards as he was instructed not to ask anything personal the first time?
Essay Topic 1
Sometimes the experiences Castaneda has during this story are seemingly times when he goes mad or loses control of his senses.
Part 1: Describe the scene in which Castaneda is playing with the black dog.
Part 2: Do you think this black dog is real? Why or why not?
Part 3: What are some other explanations for the presence of the black dog in this scene?
Essay Topic 2
In the world around them, Matus and Castaneda become aware of signs and signals that tell them whether or not they are on the right path.
Part 1: Cite three examples of signs Matus and Castaneda see in the world around them. What do they mean?
Part 2: Why do you think Matus trusts nature so much to tell him what he needs to know?
Part 3: In what ways do people today look to nature to help them make decisions about their lives?
Essay Topic 3
At many points of the story, Matus does not give Castaneda answers to his questions, leading to confusion and often frustration in Castaneda.
Part 1: List at least two questions that Castaneda asks of Matus but does not get an answer for.
Part 2: Why do you think Matus chooses not to answer some of Castaneda's questions, but does choose to answer others?
Part 3: Do you think Castaneda would learn more if Matus told him everything up front? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,099 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)