|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the end, how many buttons of peyote do the men consume individually?
2. What happens to the answer in #45 as it drinks?
3. Matus announces that he has _________ in order to find out Castaneda's intentions.
4. What color does Castaneda see after he takes the advice of Matus?
5. What is repulsing and frightening to him in one of the places he has marked?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Carlos Castaneda want to work with Don Juan Matus?
2. What ingredient is missing from the recipe that Matus learned from his benefactor?
3. What does Matus not like about Jimson Weed, the next plant that Castaneda and he explore together?
4. What are the differences between the male and the female Jimson Weed plants?
5. What does Matus diagnose as Castaneda continues to feel shallow states of non-ordinary reality?
6. What is the name that Matus gives to his own teacher and what does it mean?
7. How does Datura enslave her followers, according to Castaneda?
8. After a year of sidestepping questions from Castaneda about Peyote, what does Matus account?
9. Why does Matus laugh at Castaneda as he tries to meet with his ally again?
10. What does Matus have to say about the smoke mixture that Castaneda is preparing on his own now?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the things many readers question about the book Castaneda writes is its validity. After all, the reader is not there to see whether these events actually took place.
Part 1: Cite some details in the story that might make a reader question the truthfulness of this story.
Part 2: Cite some details in the story that might make a reader more convinced the events actually took place.
Part 3: Does it matter if the events in the story actually happened? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
A skeptic might have troubles believing the events which take place in this book, according to Castaneda's notes.
Part 1: Describe one peyote experience of Castaneda's.
Part 2: Do you think these events Castaneda documented actually happened? Why or why not?
Part 3: In what ways do you think Castaneda could have made his descriptions more convincing? Or is what he wrote enough?
Essay Topic 3
At many points of the story, Matus does not give Castaneda answers to his questions, leading to confusion and often frustration in Castaneda.
Part 1: List at least two questions that Castaneda asks of Matus but does not get an answer for.
Part 2: Why do you think Matus chooses not to answer some of Castaneda's questions, but does choose to answer others?
Part 3: Do you think Castaneda would learn more if Matus told him everything up front? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,064 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)