Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Castaneda studying at the University of California, Los Angeles?
2. What happens to the answer in #45 as it drinks?
3. Who does Castaneda see carrying a large knapsack?
4. Castaneda should focus on his _________ rather than on his fear.
5. What does he use for the spot where the porch turns from chartreuse to other colors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What area does Castaneda mark with his jacket?
2. Two years after accepting an apprentice, what does Matus prepare to do with Castaneda?
3. What does Castaneda do when he realizes the figure walking out of the house is not his mentor?
4. What has Matus decided Castaneda is ready to endure?
5. Why must the mixture previously collected and entrusted to Castaneda be used as soon as possible?
6. How does Datura enslave her followers, according to Castaneda?
7. What is the question Castaneda asks of the lizards as he was instructed not to ask anything personal the first time?
8. Why does Castaneda know more about Mescalito than Matus does?
9. What happens when Castaneda's guide and helper arranges a meeting between Castaneda and Matus?
10. Describe the details of Castaneda's final encounter with Mescalito.
There are three main guides that seem to help Castaneda during the course of the story such as protectors, benefactors, and allies.
Part 1: Define each of the following terms: protectors, benefactors, and allies.
Part 2: What do each of these guides have to teach to Castaneda?
Part 3: Which of the guides do you think would help you the most? Why did you choose the guide you did?
In the world around them, Matus and Castaneda become aware of signs and signals that tell them whether or not they are on the right path.
Part 1: Cite three examples of signs Matus and Castaneda see in the world around them. What do they mean?
Part 2: Why do you think Matus trusts nature so much to tell him what he needs to know?
Part 3: In what ways do people today look to nature to help them make decisions about their lives?
Sometimes the experiences Castaneda has during this story are seemingly times when he goes mad or loses control of his senses.
Part 1: Describe the scene in which Castaneda is playing with the black dog.
Part 2: Do you think this black dog is real? Why or why not?
Part 3: What are some other explanations for the presence of the black dog in this scene?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)