|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The spot that makes Castaneda feel comfortable is called his ______________.
2. These drug experiences help Castaneda learn more about states of ______________.
3. Who does Castaneda see carrying a large knapsack?
4. What are sensitive and destroy themselves if they do not like new hands?
5. Who is not to participate in the cutting or in the digging of the plants?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which spot is the spot that Castaneda feels most comfortable and happy?
2. Why is Matus not on his porch as usual on November 23rd, causing Castaneda to worry?
3. Describe the appearance of the two lizards that Matus shows to Castaneda.
4. Why does Castaneda know more about Mescalito than Matus does?
5. What area does Castaneda mark with his jacket?
6. What is the test Matus has for Castaneda in order to determine if he dares to meet Mescalito?
7. What does Castaneda focus on the Indians' pre-contact use of, as illustrated by his experiences in this book?
8. What is the advice Matus gives to Castaneda as he is being tested to see if he is worthy of Mescalito?
9. Two years after accepting an apprentice, what does Matus prepare to do with Castaneda?
10. What does Matus claim is proof that the Jimson Weed likes Castaneda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Castaneda has to fight other spirits which mean him harm, we can see just how engaged he must be in his work.
Part 1: Why does Castaneda recognize the spirits he fights to be out to harm him?
Part 2: What might have happened if Castaneda did not try to fight back?
Part 3: What was the purpose of the fighting with those imitators? What does this teach Castaneda?
Essay Topic 2
There is a lot of ritual and ceremony in this book, often to encourage the spirits of the plants to work with Castaneda or with Matus.
Part 1: Define the idea of ritual and of ceremony as it is seen in this book.
Part 2: Why is it important that the men attach a ritual or a ceremony to the work they do?
Part 3: What might happen without the addition of ritual or of ceremony? Does it not matter if these aspects are included or not?
Essay Topic 3
To some, the actions in this story might seem to be based on superstition instead of on actual fact and truth.
Part 1: List at least three actions taken in this story that seem to be based on superstition.
Part 2: Do you think the warnings that go along with these actions are based on truth? Would something bad happen if the warnings were not heeded? Why or why not?
Part 3: Explain the reasons for using such warnings with a student in this plant medicine.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)