|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Castaneda's teacher for the duration of the book?
2. Where does Carlos Castaneda first meet his teacher for the story?
3. What is shockingly difficult to awaken to as Castaneda finds out?
4. Visions must be ___________ to rather than viewed, says Matus laughing at Castaneda's experience.
5. Jimson Weed and Mushrooms are used to acquire __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Once someone knows Mescalito well, what does 'he' appear as?
2. What does Castaneda focus on the Indians' pre-contact use of, as illustrated by his experiences in this book?
3. Why does Carlos Castaneda want to work with Don Juan Matus?
4. What is the test Matus has for Castaneda in order to determine if he dares to meet Mescalito?
5. What does Castaneda do with the dog he sees while he is taking the mescalitos?
6. What will happen if Castaneda does not receive his first 7 mescalitos from someone other than Matus?
7. What area does Castaneda mark with his jacket?
8. What question does Matus initially refuse to answer, saying that it is inappropriate for ordinary conversations?
9. Where are Castaneda and the six Indians driving to when he arrives at Matus' home on August 4, 1961?
10. What is the advice Matus gives to Castaneda as he is being tested to see if he is worthy of Mescalito?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are three main guides that seem to help Castaneda during the course of the story such as protectors, benefactors, and allies.
Part 1: Define each of the following terms: protectors, benefactors, and allies.
Part 2: What do each of these guides have to teach to Castaneda?
Part 3: Which of the guides do you think would help you the most? Why did you choose the guide you did?
Essay Topic 2
The role of Matus in the story is part teacher, part benefactor, and part mystery. He knows much and teaches much, but says little and explains even less.
Part 1: Describe the character of Matus and what makes him a good teacher and medicine man, in your opinion.
Part 2: Why does Matus teach others the secrets he has learned from his benefactor?
Part 3: What do you think Matus gains from teaching others in this story?
Essay Topic 3
The Jimson Weed is said to give its user feelings of power and of total domination over others, which can make men change in positive and in negative ways.
Part 1: How is power defined in relation to Jimson Weed? What kinds of power does the weed provide?
Part 2: Why is this feeling of power something that is harmful to those who utilize the weed?
Part 3: Why do you think this plant is used in order to teach students if it is also something which might corrupt them?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)