|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The lizards are never wrong, so Castaneda must have been thinking about ___________ when asking his questions.
2. What is Castaneda to eat along with the other men who are there?
3. Matus announces that he has _________ in order to find out Castaneda's intentions.
4. What does Matus prepare for Castaneda from the root extract?
5. The opinions of those willing to talk about Mescalito are worth ________, according to Matus.
Short Essay Questions
1. What will happen if Castaneda does not receive his first 7 mescalitos from someone other than Matus?
2. Describe the appearance of the two lizards that Matus shows to Castaneda.
3. What does Matus not like about Jimson Weed, the next plant that Castaneda and he explore together?
4. Though Castaneda and Matus are not able to work together all the time, what does this provide to Castaneda?
5. What is the advice Matus gives to Castaneda as he is being tested to see if he is worthy of Mescalito?
6. What does Castaneda begin to experience by the sixth cycle of taking dry buttons?
7. What is the question Castaneda asks of the lizards as he was instructed not to ask anything personal the first time?
8. What is the test Matus has for Castaneda in order to determine if he dares to meet Mescalito?
9. Why does Carlos Castaneda want to work with Don Juan Matus?
10. What does Matus claim is proof that the Jimson Weed likes Castaneda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Castaneda is in the role of the student in this story, he is also in the role of the researcher.
Part 1: Does Castaneda's need to collect information for his project get in the way of his work with Matus? How?
Part 2: Do you think Castaneda is biased in his work with Matus? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might Castaneda have better balanced his roles as a student and researcher in order to get more out of each role?
Essay Topic 2
The sewing of the lizards is a harsh scene in the book.
Part 1: Describe the sewing of the lizards and why this is done in the story.
Part 2: Wouldn't this harming of the animals be hurting nature and somehow not being grateful to it? Isn't this in direct opposition to the way Matus treats the rest of the gifts of nature?
Part 3: What was your reaction to the images of the lizards? Did you believe this to actually have happened?
Essay Topic 3
Sometimes the experiences Castaneda has during this story are seemingly times when he goes mad or loses control of his senses.
Part 1: Describe the scene in which Castaneda is playing with the black dog.
Part 2: Do you think this black dog is real? Why or why not?
Part 3: What are some other explanations for the presence of the black dog in this scene?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)