|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the year that Matus says he was born in?
2. Anything can be a ______________, these are childish toys that are needed only when one lacks an ally.
3. What is NOT one of the things that Castaneda experiences by the sixth cycle?
4. In what state does Matus reside, as Castaneda arrives there on August 4, 1961?
5. These drug experiences help Castaneda learn more about states of ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What area does Castaneda mark with his shoe?
2. Why does Castaneda know more about Mescalito than Matus does?
3. What will happen if Castaneda does not receive his first 7 mescalitos from someone other than Matus?
4. What is the test Matus has for Castaneda in order to determine if he dares to meet Mescalito?
5. Two years after accepting an apprentice, what does Matus prepare to do with Castaneda?
6. Describe the appearance of the two lizards that Matus shows to Castaneda.
7. Where are Castaneda and the six Indians driving to when he arrives at Matus' home on August 4, 1961?
8. What happens when Castaneda's guide and helper arranges a meeting between Castaneda and Matus?
9. What will a person gain if they take Datura's second portion at least twenty times?
10. What has Matus decided Castaneda is ready to endure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The sewing of the lizards is a harsh scene in the book.
Part 1: Describe the sewing of the lizards and why this is done in the story.
Part 2: Wouldn't this harming of the animals be hurting nature and somehow not being grateful to it? Isn't this in direct opposition to the way Matus treats the rest of the gifts of nature?
Part 3: What was your reaction to the images of the lizards? Did you believe this to actually have happened?
Essay Topic 2
In the world around them, Matus and Castaneda become aware of signs and signals that tell them whether or not they are on the right path.
Part 1: Cite three examples of signs Matus and Castaneda see in the world around them. What do they mean?
Part 2: Why do you think Matus trusts nature so much to tell him what he needs to know?
Part 3: In what ways do people today look to nature to help them make decisions about their lives?
Essay Topic 3
The Jimson Weed is said to give its user feelings of power and of total domination over others, which can make men change in positive and in negative ways.
Part 1: How is power defined in relation to Jimson Weed? What kinds of power does the weed provide?
Part 2: Why is this feeling of power something that is harmful to those who utilize the weed?
Part 3: Why do you think this plant is used in order to teach students if it is also something which might corrupt them?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)