|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Matus grows angry when Castaneda can not realize the dog is really ________.
2. Matus carefully repeats this phrase four times: _________ will make you see and understand things about which no human being could possibly enlighten you.
3. What are honguitos, the things Matus and Castaneda have to travel five days in order to find?
4. Jimson Weed and Mushrooms are used to acquire __________.
5. Matus knows Castaneda's good _______________ and tests him.
Short Essay Questions
1. What will happen if Castaneda does not receive his first 7 mescalitos from someone other than Matus?
2. What does Matus claim is proof that the Jimson Weed likes Castaneda?
3. Why does Carlos Castaneda want to work with Don Juan Matus?
4. What is the advice Matus gives to Castaneda as he is being tested to see if he is worthy of Mescalito?
5. Why do people keep Mescalito in a bag fastened around their arm or neck?
6. What are the four 'heads' of Jimson Weed, or Devil's Weed?
7. When Matus laughs at Castaneda's discomfort, what is the piece of advice he shares?
8. Why is Matus not on his porch as usual on November 23rd, causing Castaneda to worry?
9. Where are Castaneda and the six Indians driving to when he arrives at Matus' home on August 4, 1961?
10. What area does Castaneda mark with his jacket?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The knowledge Castaneda gains is certainly stunning when one looks at the final summary of Castaneda's experiences.
Part 1: What are three of the points Castaneda makes in the final section of the book?
Part 2: Does this knowledge come from the plants directly or from Castaneda's subconscious? Why do you answer the way you do?
Part 3: Do you think Castaneda would have learned more if he has studied with Matus more frequently? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There is a lot of ritual and ceremony in this book, often to encourage the spirits of the plants to work with Castaneda or with Matus.
Part 1: Define the idea of ritual and of ceremony as it is seen in this book.
Part 2: Why is it important that the men attach a ritual or a ceremony to the work they do?
Part 3: What might happen without the addition of ritual or of ceremony? Does it not matter if these aspects are included or not?
Essay Topic 3
At many points of the story, Matus does not give Castaneda answers to his questions, leading to confusion and often frustration in Castaneda.
Part 1: List at least two questions that Castaneda asks of Matus but does not get an answer for.
Part 2: Why do you think Matus chooses not to answer some of Castaneda's questions, but does choose to answer others?
Part 3: Do you think Castaneda would learn more if Matus told him everything up front? Why or why not?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)