|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Castaneda do when he walks out into the field of peyote on the last night of the ceremony?
(a) Runs into the water.
(b) Promises to help the lizards.
(c) Sings to the plants.
(d) Hides by a cactus.
2. Castaneda's vision tells him to return where to think about his plan to escape?
3. Matus remarks that Castaneda falls asleep too soon to ____________.
(a) Follow instructions.
(b) Be able to go on.
(c) Be serious about his intentions.
(d) Do any real work.
4. Whatever the song Castaneda has learned is for the _____________ to clarify.
5. Where is Castaneda hiding when Matus hands him his clothes?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Matus yell to Castaneda that makes him feel like this does not ring true for him?
2. What happens if the blind lizard does not return to Castaneda?
3. What is the name for the four day peyote ceremony that Castaneda does with Matus' help?
4. How many days has it taken for Castaneda to come back during his last experience with the smoke?
5. Matus says that the smoke is ______ that the smoker must be strong.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Matus diagnose as Castaneda continues to feel shallow states of non-ordinary reality?
2. Why does Matus believe the Devil's Weed must like Castaneda very much?
3. What do Matus and Castaneda do with the gray jelly while the second portion is prepared?
4. Describe how Castaneda feels after smoking the mixture in Matus' pipe.
5. What does Matus tell Castaneda the next day after Castaneda has fallen asleep during the smoking?
6. Why must the mixture previously collected and entrusted to Castaneda be used as soon as possible?
7. What does Matus urge Castaneda to do before smoking again?
8. What ingredient is missing from the recipe that Matus learned from his benefactor?
9. What does Matus provide for Castaneda as they read themselves to test Devil's Weed again?
10. Describe the details of Castaneda's final encounter with Mescalito.
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)