|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Only by ___________ can Castaneda appreciate smoke's importance as an ally to him.
(b) His apprenticeship.
(d) A secret dance.
2. Crows see one another as _____ rather than seeing each other as black.
3. What would have happened to Castaneda had he moved from his beneficial spot on the porch?
(a) His soul would have been taken away for good.
(b) Matus isn't sure.
(c) He would have won the battle.
4. Where does Castaneda awaken when he consumes the last of the smoke mixture?
(a) On a rock in the middle of the desert.
(b) In bed.
(c) Irrigation ditch.
5. ___________ at wake up time convinces Matus that the weed likes Castaneda.
(c) Good weather.
(d) Bad weather.
6. What does Matus diagnose as being the problem with Castaneda?
(a) There is no problem.
(c) Loss of soul.
(d) Loss of ally.
7. Matus dismisses Castaneda's idea that he has reached a ____________.
(b) Dangerous threshold.
(c) Boiling point.
(d) New level of consciousness.
8. What do the two men eat in preparation for their ceremony?
9. The worlds of ______ and men overlap, but a crack opens and closes between them.
10. What happens if the blind lizard does not return to Castaneda?
(a) He has to kill Matus.
(b) He must find a new ally
(c) He lacks a guide and must stop forever.
11. What does Matus order Castaneda to do once he slumps to the floor, unable to breathe?
(b) Plead mercy.
12. What does Castaneda do when he walks out into the field of peyote on the last night of the ceremony?
(a) Runs into the water.
(b) Hides by a cactus.
(c) Sings to the plants.
(d) Promises to help the lizards.
13. Castaneda remembers a vision of ___________ tossing him in the air.
14. What secretes digestive acids that want to dissolve Castaneda?
(a) Sea kelp.
(c) A lizard.
(d) A snake.
15. During which cycle of collecting ingredients for the smoking mixture is Castaneda the only one involved in the process?
Short Answer Questions
1. Castaneda must learn to ___________ like a crow, which is difficult, but not painful.
2. Castaneda must remember the order in which he stacks the _____ as this will have to be repeated going forward.
3. What pulls loose as Castaneda wipes his nose and his face?
4. What does Castaneda circle in order to determine its position?
5. It is clear Mescalito approves of Castaneda because he appears to Castaneda __________ times.
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)