|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The smoke, says Matus, deals in ________ while the weed flatters and makes one feel good.
(a) Noble power.
(c) Real truth.
2. Where does Castaneda awaken when he consumes the last of the smoke mixture?
(a) Irrigation ditch.
(c) In bed.
(d) On a rock in the middle of the desert.
3. Matus begins to talk about smoke as an ___________ during his third year with Castaneda.
4. To whom can Castaneda sing songs in order to keep himself company?
(a) No one.
5. What does Matus diagnose as being the problem with Castaneda?
(b) Loss of soul.
(c) There is no problem.
(d) Loss of ally.
6. What does Matus yell to Castaneda that makes him feel like this does not ring true for him?
(a) What are you doing?
(b) You are nothing.
(c) Hey you!
(d) Hey boy!
7. Why does Castaneda feel embarrassed on the second night of the peyote ceremony?
(a) He doesn't feel anything.
(b) He does not have a song.
(c) He can't move.
(d) He is violently ill.
8. What does Matus do in order to soothe Castaneda?
(a) Puts a wet washcloth on his forehead.
(b) Feeds him.
(c) Rubs his hand.
(d) Sings a Spanish lullaby.
9. The worlds of ______ and men overlap, but a crack opens and closes between them.
10. Matus says that those who experiment with smoke without a guide will ____________.
(a) Be punished.
(b) Be condemned to bad luck.
(c) Be tested harshly.
11. What secretes digestive acids that want to dissolve Castaneda?
(a) A snake.
(c) A lizard.
(d) Sea kelp.
12. What does Castaneda do when he finally sees the real Matus before him?
(c) Kisses his hand.
(d) Falls asleep.
13. Castaneda believes Matus is trying to create doubt in his mind about his ____________.
14. What makes Castaneda feel uplifted and like he wants to weep?
(a) Matus' words.
(b) The bird.
(c) The lizard's message.
(d) Singing at the ceremony.
15. Castaneda rates his night with the weed as truly _________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Matus says that people agree on birds flying because it is ________ behavior for them.
2. What kind of animal has Castaneda's head turned into?
3. Castaneda is having troubles letting go of shallow states of non-ordinary ____________.
4. Castaneda's vision tells him to return where to think about his plan to escape?
5. What happens if the blind lizard does not return to Castaneda?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)