|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Castaneda's teacher for the duration of the book?
(a) Don Juan Luis.
(b) Don Juan Martinez.
(c) Don Juan Carlos.
(d) Don Juan Matus.
2. The opinions of those willing to talk about Mescalito are worth ________, according to Matus.
3. What does Castaneda think Matus is doing to him after the test?
(a) Teasing him.
(b) Putting a spell on him.
(c) Humoring him.
(d) Hurting him.
4. What is the other name Matus uses for 'teacher' in the story?
(c) Holy man.
5. Where does Carlos Castaneda first meet his teacher for the story?
(a) Border bus stop.
(b) Convenience mart.
(c) Drum circle.
6. What has happened to Matus that has caused him to not be on his porch one day?
(a) Upset stomach.
(d) Dislocated ankle.
7. In what state does Matus reside, as Castaneda arrives there on August 4, 1961?
(c) New Mexico.
8. Matus grows angry when Castaneda can not realize the dog is really ________.
(d) An enemy.
9. Matus carefully repeats this phrase four times: _________ will make you see and understand things about which no human being could possibly enlighten you.
(a) A plant.
(c) An ally.
(d) A star.
10. What is the name of the spot that makes Castaneda feel frightened?
(c) The Wrong Place.
(d) The enemy.
11. What does Matus hold up in Castaneda's face which causes him to become nauseous at the sight?
(a) Two blackbirds.
(b) A mirror.
(c) Two lizards.
(d) Two rats.
12. Matus says he has chosen Castaneda for a long and ____________ apprenticeship.
13. What is repulsing and frightening to him in one of the places he has marked?
(a) A dead spider.
(b) A dead rat.
(c) A force.
(d) A sound.
14. ___________ is used to acquire wisdom and to learn how to live right.
(c) Jimson Weed.
15. What is Castaneda to eat along with the other men who are there?
(c) Dried fruit and meat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Breaking or losing a pipe will mean ___________ for the person who causes harm.
2. Who caused Matus the trauma as she tried to kill him?
3. What does Matus prepare for Castaneda from the root extract?
4. What is the year that Matus says he was born in?
5. What is Castaneda able to do which makes him feel quite pleased with himself?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)