Short Essay Questions Key
1. Why does Carlos Castaneda want to work with Don Juan Matus?
Castaneda is gathering information on medicinal plants as a part of his studies in anthropology at the University of California, Los Angeles.
2. What happens when Castaneda's guide and helper arranges a meeting between Castaneda and Matus?
Matus avoids the question Castaneda wants to ask immediately as well as during several visits over the course of a year.
3. What has Matus decided Castaneda is ready to endure?
Matus decides Castaneda is ready to endure a long and arduous apprenticeship like the one Matus endured under his benefactor.
4. What is the name that Matus gives to his own teacher and what does it mean?
Matus calls his former teacher a diablero, which means he is a shape-shifter.
5. Though Castaneda and Matus are not able to work together all the time, what does this provide to Castaneda?
Even though Castaneda and Matus work together sporadically, this allows Castaneda the ability to maintain scientific detachment.
This section contains 2,040 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)