* Castaneda first meets Don Juan Matus in the summer of 1960.
* Castaneda starts an apprenticeship with Don Juan.
* The two work with the medicines such as peyote, Jimson weed, and mushrooms.
* The book is based on Castaneda's field notes.
Part 1: Chapter 1
* Matus realizes that Castaneda has good intentions.
* Matus dares Castaneda to meet Mescalito.
* Matus finds that Castaneda has the backbone to meet Mescalito face to face.
Part 1: Chapter 2
* Castaneda goes to Matus' home and joins 6 Indians on the porch.
* Castaneda chews on 6 mescalitos.
* Castaneda becomes violently ill.
* Castaneda plays with the dog, which is actually mescalito.
Part 1: Chapter 3
* Matus introduces Castaneda to Jimson Weed or devil's weed.
* Matus and Castaneda go out to collect and to prepare plants.
* Castaneda drinks a milky drink and becomes ill.
* La Catalina has tried to kill Matus, but only succeeds in dislocating his ankle.
* Castaneda must bond with the pipe in...
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)