|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator describe the doctor, commandant, and the commissar wearing in Chapter 22?
2. How much older is the narrator than Lana?
3. What river does the narrator describe in the distance in Chapter 18?
4. What phrase does the narrator describe as Ho Chi Minh's "empty suit" in Chapter 23?
5. Where is the narrator in the beginning of Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. What memory of his father's death does the narrator recall in Chapter 18?
2. What is significant about the newspaper article "Move On, War Over"?
3. How has the narrator's past year in the prison been described in Chapter 19?
4. What effects has the torture had on the narrator in the beginning of Chapter 22?
5. What is symbolized in the narrator's dream about the kapok tree in Chapter 13?
6. What is revealed in the jar on the commandant's desk? What does it symbolize?
7. What does the narrator confess to Sonny before killing him? Why?
8. What is significant about Ms. Mori's family photos being set out in Chapter 13?
9. What is the answer to the question that the narrator must answer to the commmissar in the end of the novel?
10. What symbolism is revealed when Man waves at the narrator at the end of his reeducation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the narrative and language styles of The Sympathizer. What is the framing device that is used to set up the story? From whose point of view is the story related? How would the novel differ if told from a different narrative style?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the assassination of the crapulent major. What leads the General to order his murder? Who assists the narrator in committing the execution? Why? How does the narrator feel about this action?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the events surrounding the Fall of Saigon. When did the Fall of Saigon occur? For how many years was the Vietnam War fought? How does the author depict these events in The Sympathizer?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)