|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Ho Chi Minh die?
2. Where did the narrator, Bon, and Man swear their blood oath?
3. What does the commandant drink during his meeting with the narrator in Chapter 19?
4. How did the narrator's father die?
5. What color beret does the General wear in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are the narrator and Bon sent after leaving the prison in the end of the novel?
2. What do Lana and Bon discuss at the night club in Chapter 14? How does this conversation impact the narrator?
3. What is symbolized in the narrator's dream about the kapok tree in Chapter 13?
4. Where does Claude take the narrator and Bon once they arrive in Thailand in Chapter 17?
5. What is significant about the newspaper article "Move On, War Over"?
6. What is revealed about the narrator's father's death in Chapter 22?
7. What is the answer to the question that the narrator must answer to the commmissar in the end of the novel?
8. How is the commissar described when the narrator finally meets him in Chapter 19?
9. What memory of his father's death does the narrator recall in Chapter 18?
10. What is the narrator's central internal conflict in the beginning of Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Bon insist on returning to Vietnam to fight for the General? Why does the narrator try to convince him otherwise? What ultimately leads to the narrator's decision to accompany Sonny to Vietnam?
Essay Topic 2
How does the General respond when he discovers the courtship between the narrator and Lana? How does the narrator feel about the General's response? How does Madame feel about the situation?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the friendship between Bon, Man, and the narrator. When did they meet? What event brought them close together? For how long have they been friends? How has their friendship evolved?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)