|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word in the book refers to a woman professionally trained to assist a woman in childbirth?
2. During what years was Ho Chi Minh president of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam?
3. What word from Chapter 19 means having an obstinately uncooperative attitute or discipline?
4. What kind of gun does the narrator take to kill Sonny with in Chapter 16?
5. During what years was Ho Chi Minh prime minister of Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Lana and Bon discuss at the night club in Chapter 14? How does this conversation impact the narrator?
2. What is the question that the commissar says the narrator must answer in Chapter 20?
3. Why does Bon insist on returning to Vietnam for the General in Chapter 13?
4. What is symbolized by the narrator's rucksack in the novel?
5. What is significant about the newspaper article "Move On, War Over"?
6. How does the admiral compare the plight of the troops to Jesus in Chapter 17?
7. How is the commissar described when the narrator finally meets him in Chapter 19?
8. How is Abe's story related in Chapter 13?
9. What symbolism is revealed when Man waves at the narrator at the end of his reeducation?
10. How is the theme of betrayal explored in Chapter 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the General respond when he discovers the courtship between the narrator and Lana? How does the narrator feel about the General's response? How does Madame feel about the situation?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of duality in The Sympathizer. How does the author establish this theme in the first lines of the novel? How does the theme of duality evolve throughout the story? What symbolism relates to this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the assassination of the crapulent major. What leads the General to order his murder? Who assists the narrator in committing the execution? Why? How does the narrator feel about this action?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)