|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bon threaten the shoplifters with in Chapter 15?
2. What is played over the loudspeakers to torture the narrator in Chapter 22?
3. What does the narrator describe the doctor, commandant, and the commissar wearing in Chapter 22?
4. How much older is the narrator than Lana?
5. When did Chairman Mao die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolized by the narrator's rucksack in the novel?
2. How has the narrative style changed in Chapter 21? Why?
3. What is the narrator's central internal conflict in the beginning of Chapter 16?
4. What symbolism is revealed when Man waves at the narrator at the end of his reeducation?
5. What is symbolized in the narrator's dream about the kapok tree in Chapter 13?
6. What do Lana and Bon discuss at the night club in Chapter 14? How does this conversation impact the narrator?
7. Why does Bon insist on returning to Vietnam for the General in Chapter 13?
8. How is the commissar described when the narrator finally meets him in Chapter 19?
9. Where are the narrator and Bon sent after leaving the prison in the end of the novel?
10. How is the theme of betrayal explored in Chapter 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of misrepresentation or lack of representation of Vietnamese in Vietnam War films produced in the West. How is this theme developed through the script of The Hamlet?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrator's relationship with the General. For how long has he worked for the General? What kind of relationship do they have? How does the narrator feel about Madame?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Claude? What is the narrator's relationship with this character? How did they first meet? How has their relationship grown?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)