|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country has Vietnam invaded and seized in Chapter 23?
2. What river does the narrator describe in the distance in Chapter 18?
3. The commandant tells the narrator in Chapter 19, "you are a communist only in name. In practice, you are" what?
4. Where is the narrator in the beginning of Chapter 23?
5. What do the narrator and his friends drink at the nightclub in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about Ms. Mori's family photos being set out in Chapter 13?
2. How is the commissar described when the narrator finally meets him in Chapter 19?
3. What is symbolized in the narrator's dream about the kapok tree in Chapter 13?
4. What conflict does the narrator recall with the General as he falls asleep in Chapter 17?
5. What is symbolized by the narrator's rucksack in the novel?
6. What information does the narrator relate to Man in his letter in Chapter 13?
7. What memory of his father's death does the narrator recall in Chapter 18?
8. What is the question that the commissar says the narrator must answer in Chapter 20?
9. How is the theme of betrayal explored in Chapter 18?
10. How is Abe's story related in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Claude? What is the narrator's relationship with this character? How did they first meet? How has their relationship grown?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the methods of torture used on the narrator during "reeducation." What are the effects of these methods? How is the narrator affected both mentally and physically? How is he led to recover?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the narrator's relationship with Ms. Mori. How does their relationship begin? How does it evolve? How does it end? How would you describe the narrator's feeling for Ms. Mori?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)