|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bon give to the narrator from the General in the beginning of Chapter 17?
2. What drinks does the narrator buy for Lana at the club in Chapter 14?
3. Who greets the narrator and Bon when they arrive in Bangkok in Chapter 17?
4. What is the proper response to the coded question "Can you take us to our uncle's funeral" for the ferryman in Chapter 23?
5. What does the narrator put on after killing Sonny in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the commissar described when the narrator finally meets him in Chapter 19?
2. Where are the narrator and Bon sent after leaving the prison in the end of the novel?
3. What information does the narrator relate to Man in his letter in Chapter 13?
4. What does Man reveal about his sympathies to the narrator in Chapter 22?
5. How is the theme of betrayal explored in Chapter 18?
6. What is the narrator's central internal conflict in the beginning of Chapter 16?
7. What is the commandant questioning the narrator about in the beginning of Chapter 19?
8. What is significant about the newspaper article "Move On, War Over"?
9. What does the narrator confess to Sonny before killing him? Why?
10. What do Lana and Bon discuss at the night club in Chapter 14? How does this conversation impact the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Man's decision to free the narrator in the end of the novel. What leads Man to this decision? Why does Man not flee with the narrator? Who does flee with the narrator?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the narrative and language styles of The Sympathizer. What is the framing device that is used to set up the story? From whose point of view is the story related? How would the novel differ if told from a different narrative style?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the events surrounding the Fall of Saigon. When did the Fall of Saigon occur? For how many years was the Vietnam War fought? How does the author depict these events in The Sympathizer?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)