|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator describe marriage as in Chapter 15?
2. What does the commandant say the narrator is as opposed to a prisoner in Chapter 19?
3. What is the usual ration that the narrator receives in prison in Chapter 19?
4. During what years was Ho Chi Minh prime minister of Vietnam?
5. Where do the narrator and Bon change planes on their trip to Thailand in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Claude take the narrator and Bon once they arrive in Thailand in Chapter 17?
2. What information does the narrator relate to Man in his letter in Chapter 13?
3. Why does Bon insist on returning to Vietnam for the General in Chapter 13?
4. What is significant about Ms. Mori's family photos being set out in Chapter 13?
5. How is the commissar described when the narrator finally meets him in Chapter 19?
6. What is the answer to the question that the narrator must answer to the commmissar in the end of the novel?
7. What is symbolized in the narrator's dream about the kapok tree in Chapter 13?
8. What is revealed about the narrator's father's death in Chapter 22?
9. What is symbolized by the narrator's rucksack in the novel?
10. How has the narrative style changed in Chapter 21? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Man's decision to free the narrator in the end of the novel. What leads Man to this decision? Why does Man not flee with the narrator? Who does flee with the narrator?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Lana in the novel. How old is Lana? Where does the narrator know Lana from? What risks does the narrator take in courting Lana?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the narrator and Bon's capture in Thailand. What mission are they on when they are captured? Who captures them? Where are they taken after capture?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)