|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the narrator's father's profession?
2. The narrator describes working his first assignment under whose supervision at the National Interrogation Center in Saigon?
3. Where does the narrator describe finally seeing the Auteur's film in Chapter 10?
4. What fictional spy character does the narrator describe sleeping peacefully on a bed of nails in Chapter 5?
5. For how many years does the narrator say he lived in the villa with the General when the Fall of Saigon occurred in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe "breaking" the Watchman in Chapter 11?
2. Where are the Vietnamese refugees taken after arriving in America in Chapter 4?
3. How is the theme of duality explored in Chapter 4?
4. How is the theme of sympathy explored in Chapter 12?
5. How would you describe the narrator's relationship with the Auteur?
6. How does the narrator become involved in the production of the film The Hamlet?
7. What does the narrator fear when he is called in to speak with the General at the opening of the store in Chapter 5? Why?
8. Who is the Congressman and how is his character first introduced?
9. How does the narrator become injured in Chapter 11?
10. How would you describe the narrator and protagonist of The Sympathizer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the events surrounding the Fall of Saigon. When did the Fall of Saigon occur? For how many years was the Vietnam War fought? How does the author depict these events in The Sympathizer?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the narrative and language styles of The Sympathizer. What is the framing device that is used to set up the story? From whose point of view is the story related? How would the novel differ if told from a different narrative style?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Lana in the novel. How old is Lana? Where does the narrator know Lana from? What risks does the narrator take in courting Lana?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)