|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What film of the Auteur's is described in Chapter 8 as being "about the failure of the American Dream"?
2. What was the narrator's father's profession?
3. How old is Ms. Mori when the narrator begins his affair with her?
4. What is one of the nicknames for the Congressman that the narrator describes in Chapter 7?
5. What does the narrator say his mother called him in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the narrator's main duties on the set of The Hamlet?
2. How is the theme of duality explored in Chapter 4?
3. What is the narrator's relationship to the General?
4. Who is Sofia Mori? How does the narrator meet this character?
5. Who is the Congressman and how is his character first introduced?
6. How does the narrator become injured in Chapter 11?
7. How would you describe the narrator's relationship with the Auteur?
8. What does the narrator fear when he is called in to speak with the General at the opening of the store in Chapter 5? Why?
9. What information does the narrator learn from Man in Chapter 4? How does he receive this information?
10. What does the narrator say about the crapulent major's death in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Claude? What is the narrator's relationship with this character? How did they first meet? How has their relationship grown?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the methods of torture used on the narrator during "reeducation." What are the effects of these methods? How is the narrator affected both mentally and physically? How is he led to recover?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the methods used for communication between the narrator and Man. How do they send letters to one another and what is used for invisible ink? How does the narrator record documents and photos to send to Man?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)