|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how long does the narrator say he lived in the north in Vietnam in Chapter 19?
(a) 9 years.
(b) 6 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 12 years.
2. What word from Chapter 23 means seemingly absurd or self-contradictory?
3. What does the commandant drink during his meeting with the narrator in Chapter 19?
(b) Red wine.
(c) Rice wine.
4. What kind of gun does the commissar place in the narrator's hand in Chapter 22?
(a) A Smith & Wesson 317.
(b) A Tokarev.
(c) A Skoda 28.
(d) An M32.
5. What does the commandant say the narrator is as opposed to a prisoner in Chapter 19?
(a) A patient.
(b) A follower.
(c) A visitor.
(d) A guard.
6. Whom does the narrator cite in having said "men will die for bits of ribbon pinned to their chests" in Chapter 13?
(a) Napoleon Bonaparte.
(b) Karl Marx.
(c) Chairman Mao.
(d) Rudyard Kipling.
7. Whose gold-painted bust sits in the commissar's office?
(a) Chairman Mao's.
(b) Nguyen Cao Ky's.
(c) Ho Chi Minh's.
(d) Ngo Dinh Diem's.
8. How did the narrator's father die?
(a) He drowned.
(b) He was stabbed.
(c) He was in a car accident.
(d) He was shot.
9. Where do the narrator and Bon go to see Lana sing in Chapter 14?
(a) The Four Seasons.
(b) The Club Paltry.
(c) The Roosevelt Hotel.
(d) The Bar Cerullo.
10. What does the navigator say the odds are for successful escape in Chapter 23?
11. What does the narrator describe marriage as in Chapter 15?
12. The narrator says in Chapter 19, "What my time in the cave taught me is that the ultimate life-and-death struggle is" what?
(b) "On its way."
(c) "With ourselves."
(d) "Already over."
13. What does the narrator put on after killing Sonny in Chapter 16?
(a) A black hood and scarf.
(b) A red wig and glasses.
(c) A woman's dress.
(d) A blond wig and sunglasses.
14. Where is the narrator in the beginning of Chapter 23?
(a) The navigator's house.
(b) The prison cell.
(c) Bon's office.
(d) The General's office.
15. Who greets the narrator and Bon when they arrive in Bangkok in Chapter 17?
(a) The General.
(d) The Auteur.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the narrator when he swore a blood oath as blood brothers with Bon?
2. What book does the commissar give to the narrator in Chapter 23?
3. The commandant tells the narrator in Chapter 19, "you are a communist only in name. In practice, you are" what?
4. What does the narrator describe the doctor, commandant, and the commissar wearing in Chapter 22?
5. What television show does the narrator watch with Lana in Chapter 16?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)