|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator bring to Ms. Mori's house in Chapter 13?
(a) Chinese takeout and sodas.
(b) Scotch and bread.
(c) Wine and cigars.
(d) Vodka and cigarettes.
2. What does the commandant drink during his meeting with the narrator in Chapter 19?
(c) Red wine.
(d) Rice wine.
3. For what crime was the navigator reeducated?
(a) Kililng a republic spy.
(b) Trying to assassinate the president.
(c) Trying to escape the country by boat.
(d) Killing a communist spy.
4. The narrator says in Chapter 19, "What my time in the cave taught me is that the ultimate life-and-death struggle is" what?
(b) "Already over."
(c) "With ourselves."
(d) "On its way."
5. Who does the commandant refer to as "our greatest revolutionary poet" in Chapter 19?
(a) Van Cao.
(b) To Huu.
(c) Nguyen Khuyen.
(d) Tran Te Xuong.
6. When did Ho Chi Minh die?
7. Where do the narrator and Bon change planes on their trip to Thailand in Chapter 17?
8. What item are the members of the narrator's team given to wear over their hearts in Chapter 18?
(a) A picture of the Virgin Mary.
(b) A metal shield.
(c) A picture of Jesus Christ.
(d) A picture of Chairman Mao.
9. What word from Chapter 19 means having an obstinately uncooperative attitute or discipline?
10. Where does the narrator carry his copy of Asian Communism and the Oriental Mode of Destruction in Chapter 18?
(a) The false bottom of his rucksack.
(b) His jacket pocket.
(c) His pants pocket.
(d) His wallet.
11. What is the proper response to the coded question "Can you take us to our uncle's funeral" for the ferryman in Chapter 23?
(a) "Your uncle was a great man."
(b) "Where is your uncle's funeral?"
(c) "Your uncle was for the communists."
(d) "The funeral is far away."
12. When did Chairman Mao die?
13. How many marines accompany the narrator and Bon across the border in Chapter 18?
14. What is the first number that Lana performs at the club in Chapter 14?
(a) "Black Bird."
(c) "I'd Love You to Want Me."
15. During what years was Ho Chi Minh president of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam?
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator begins Chapter 14 saying, "Sometimes the work of a subversive is purposeful, but sometimes, I confess, it is" what?
2. What color beret does the General wear in Chapter 13?
3. How did the narrator's father die?
4. During what years was Ho Chi Minh prime minister of Vietnam?
5. Who is the commissar revealed to be in Chapter 19?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)