|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of gun does the commissar place in the narrator's hand in Chapter 22?
(a) A Smith & Wesson 317.
(b) A Skoda 28.
(c) A Tokarev.
(d) An M32.
2. Where does Lana say she'd like to live if not in Los Angeles in Chapter 14?
(a) New York.
(c) San Francisco.
3. How many "apostles" does the admiral say they have in the camp in Chapter 17?
4. Where does the commandant describe being held prisoner in Chapter 19?
(c) Guantanimo Bay.
5. What word from Chapter 16 refers to the treatment of light and shade in painting?
6. What word from Chapter 19 means having an obstinately uncooperative attitute or discipline?
7. What does Bon give to the narrator from the General in the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) A bottle of gin.
(b) A bottle of wine.
(c) An envelope of cash.
(d) A bottle of scotch.
8. Where did the narrator, Bon, and Man swear their blood oath?
(a) In an elm grove.
(b) In a tamarind grove.
(c) In a rice paddy.
(d) In a salich grove.
9. What does the navigator say the odds are for successful escape in Chapter 23?
10. Where does the narrator carry his copy of Asian Communism and the Oriental Mode of Destruction in Chapter 18?
(a) The false bottom of his rucksack.
(b) His pants pocket.
(c) His jacket pocket.
(d) His wallet.
11. Who leads the narrator's group on their journey across the border in Chapter 18?
(a) A Hmong farmer and a Lao scout.
(b) A Vietnamese refugee and a Japanese scout.
(c) A Cambodian farmer and a Russian scout.
(d) A Lao farmer and a Hmong scout.
12. Who does the commandant refer to as "our greatest revolutionary poet" in Chapter 19?
(a) To Huu.
(b) Tran Te Xuong.
(c) Nguyen Khuyen.
(d) Van Cao.
13. For how long does the narrator say he lived in the north in Vietnam in Chapter 19?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 9 years.
(c) 12 years.
(d) 6 years.
14. How many sons does the navigator have?
15. Where does the grizzled captain say he lost contact with his family in Chapter 13?
(a) Can Tho.
(b) Ha Noi.
(c) Hai Phong.
(d) Da Nang.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Ho Chi Minh die?
2. What word in the book refers to a woman professionally trained to assist a woman in childbirth?
3. At what time does the narrator arrive at Sonny's apartment to kill him in Chapter 16?
4. What country has Vietnam invaded and seized in Chapter 23?
5. What is contained on the jar on the commandant's desk?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)