|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Grumman speculate that the troops waited until daylight to set the forest on fire?
2. What does the Dust tell Dr. Malone that she must do before she leaves to go on her journey?
3. What causes Lyra to be worried about Will's hand other than the fact that it is continuing to bleed?
4. What does Dr. Malone say that the police officer was from that came to see about Lyra?
5. What does Lee show the warehouseman that allows them to regain the use of Lee's balloon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Mrs. Coulter and her characteristics as they are known. What does it say about Mrs. Coulter that she reacts the way she does about Lyra and the fact that Lyra is her daughter?
Essay Topic 2
Why was Dr. Malone chosen to destroy the machine? Why did she choose to do what the "cave" told her despite the fact that it could get her into large amounts of trouble? Does this contradict what is known about her character, considering she was willing to turn down Sir Charles? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Lord Asreil is often talked about in the story but not very often seen. What is the reason that Lord Asreil doesn't make an appearance in the story? Does this increase his believability in the story?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)