|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Serafina say she can feel from the spectral forms?
2. What does Will ask Mrs. Cooper to do for him?
3. What does Lyra check on to make sure it isn't broken after she is struck by the car?
4. What does Will see briefly on Sir Charles after Lyra has spit in his face?
5. What do Will and Lyra find the children of Cittagazze are fighting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Will think of when he sees Sir Charles' house in chapter seven?
2. In chapter nine, what does Lyra say about the cat's reaction to Mrs. Coulter's monkey daemon?
3. What do the men at the observatory tell Lee that Stanislaus Grumman was studying and focused on in chapter six?
4. How does the old man explain to Will to use the knife to cut through to another world?
5. In chapter seven when Lyra looses her temper, describe her reaction to Sir Charles.
6. What is Will's initial response when he first enters the new world after following the cat in chapter one?
7. What is significant about Pantalaimon's actions when Will is first learning to use the knife in chapter eight?
8. Why does Mrs. Coulter say that the Specters obey her?
9. In the second chapter what does Mrs. Coulter say about Lyra being her daughter?
10. Describe Will's father as he is detailed in chapter one, "The Cat and the Hornbeam Trees".
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between the children of Cittagazze and Lyra and Will? Will and Lyra are the same age as those children but didn't join in the actions. What is the reason that they resisted the same behaviors?
Essay Topic 2
Why was Dr. Malone chosen to destroy the machine? Why did she choose to do what the "cave" told her despite the fact that it could get her into large amounts of trouble? Does this contradict what is known about her character, considering she was willing to turn down Sir Charles? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What do the letters from Will's father represent to Will. What purpose do these letters serve to Will? Is it the letters that helped to drive Will's mother insane?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)