|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the ways the Tartar that Lee hires to drive him to the observatory able to make his way through the dense fog without getting lost?
2. What does Will do with the green leather writing case before going back to his world?
3. What does Lyra suggest they do in order to get the alethiometer back?
4. What does Lyra show Dr. Malone in an attempt to get Dr. Malone to agree to let her use the cave?
5. What does Dr. Lanselius say is the reason that the zombies are fearless?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Grumman explain had surprised him when he first stepped into Lee's world?
2. What do Lyra and Will say to each other in chapter thirteen about the way that the children behaved in Cittagazze attacking the cat and them?
3. Describe the scene in chapter eight when Lyra watches Tullio run out of the building?
4. What is Will's initial response when he first enters the new world after following the cat in chapter one?
5. What do the letters that John sent his wife, Will's mother, reveal?
6. Grumman explains to Lee why it is the Specters only attack adults. What is this explanation he gives in chapter fourteen?
7. What is Will's response to the children that are attacking the cat?
8. What is significant about Pantalaimon's actions when Will is first learning to use the knife in chapter eight?
9. How does Thorold explain Lord Asriel's plan?
10. Why is Will angry when Lyra begins reading the alethiometer about his life and his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The old man who teaches Will to use the knife commits suicide. What is the reason that the man killed himself? Why could he not have gone through a window to another world? Given what is known, what was his frame of mind that caused him to feel that death was the only option left to him?
Essay Topic 2
What do the letters from Will's father represent to Will. What purpose do these letters serve to Will? Is it the letters that helped to drive Will's mother insane?
Essay Topic 3
Look at Will's responsibilities with his mother. Is it possible that Will is more adult than child? Explain. Is it wrong that Will be the one that should take care of his mother?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)