|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the young witch, Juta Kamainen, comes to Serafina what does she say about Stanislaus Grumman?
2. What does Sir Charles say that he can come up with easily to prove the alethiometer is his?
3. What does Will begin looking for when he goes back to his empty house?
4. What is one of the ways the Tartar that Lee hires to drive him to the observatory able to make his way through the dense fog without getting lost?
5. What does Lyra explain that the Church people in her world believe Dust to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in which Will returns from his father's body to go wake Lyra.
2. In chapter four, what does Lyra suddenly begin considering after she sees the initials SP carved into a stone on the corner of Catte Street?
3. What do Lyra and Will say to each other in chapter thirteen about the way that the children behaved in Cittagazze attacking the cat and them?
4. In chapter ten, what are Lee's feelings as they are safely in the air?
5. Describe the scene where the witches attempt to heal Will's hand in chapter thirteen.
6. What is wrong with Will when he first wakes up in chapter eleven?
7. What does Lyra apologize to Will for in chapter seven when she returns from her narrow escape with the pale man posing as a police officer?
8. Describe the scene in chapter eight when Lyra watches Tullio run out of the building?
9. What does Grumman explain had surprised him when he first stepped into Lee's world?
10. What does Grumman explain might be the problem with trying to protect Lyra with the subtle knife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the situation that the children of Cittagazze. Is it understandable that they have grouped up the way that they have? Is their behavior understandable?
Essay Topic 2
What is significant about the cat to Will? Does it seem that the cat served a deeper purpose in the story? Why did it continue to reappear in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the reason that Lee was given the option of going with Grumman's daemon while she was attacking the zeppelins. What was it that it gave Lee to be allowed this?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)