|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Viviane first meets Jack Griffith, he is digging a hole in his yard that he believes will lead him to what?
(a) The Hoover Dam
(c) The remains of King Tut
(d) The Arctic Ocean
2. What abnormality does Ava describe herself as having been born with in the narrative?
(a) Odd-colored eyes
(b) White hair
3. On what date is Ava Lavender born in the narrative?
(a) April 29, 1959
(b) September 12, 1955
(c) May 11, 1959
(d) March 1, 1944
4. What does Viviane say “Ava” means in Chapter 9?
5. Throughout the novel, Ava Lavender expresses her concerns and obsessions with what concept and its role in her life?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the baby mobile made of that hangs over the crib in Chapter 9?
2. How much does the Widow Marigold Pie weigh before she begins patronizing Emilienne’s bakery in Chapter 12?
3. How old is Ava Lavender when John Griffith undergoes a transformation and visits the bakery in his tattered bathrobe to speak to Emilienne in Chapter 10?
4. Who asks Viviane what she’s going to do now that Jack is marrying someone else in Chapter 8?
5. The narrator describes Viviane in Chapter 4 as instigating a neighborhood rivalry with the kids from what area?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Viviane not pursue her ambitions as a stewardess in Chapter 8?
2. What causes Viviane to become concerned for Ava’s safety in the beginning of Chapter 13?
3. How does the onset of World War II affect the Griffith home in Chapter 5?
4. How does the narrator describe the death of Gabe’s mother in Chapter 7? How old is Gabe at this time?
5. How would you describe the narrative style of The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender?
6. How is the character of John Griffith described in Chapter 5? How does John Griffith feel about Emilienne?
7. Where is Jack intending to attend school in Chapter 6? How does Jack feel about his prospects?
8. How does the dog Trouver find his way into the home on the hill at Pinnacle Lane? What does Trouver’s name mean?
9. What does Ava say she wishes and wonders about her mother when she was young in Chapter 4?
10. Where has Viviane begun working in Chapter 8? Why? Whom does the narrator describe Viviane first encountering at her job in the chapter?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)