|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Ava Lavender when John Griffith undergoes a transformation and visits the bakery in his tattered bathrobe to speak to Emilienne in Chapter 10?
2. Fatima Ines de Dores is said to be of what descent in Chapter 2?
3. What is the name of the ship that Emilienne’s family boards for the United States in Chapter 1?
(a) The SS Titanic
(b) The SS France
(c) The SS Portugal
(d) The SS Manhatine
4. In the novel’s Prologue, the narrator states, “to many, I was myth incarnate, the embodiment of a most superb legend, a fairy tale. Some considered me a monster, a mutation. To my great misfortune, I was once mistaken for” what?
(a) An angel
(b) A goddess
(c) A woman
(d) A bird
5. When Wilhelmina first meets Emilienne in Chapter 3, she tells her, “Rumor has it you’re the neighborhood” what?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Wilhelmina when she first appears in Pinnacle Lane in Chapter 3?
2. Throughout the novel, Ava Lavender expresses her concerns and obsessions with what concept and its role in her life?
3. What is the name of the man that Emilienne marries and moves to Seattle with in Chapter 2?
4. What does Ava say “etoile de mer” translates to from French in Chapter 11?
5. It is January of what year when the narrator describes a new movie theater opening in West Seattle in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where has Viviane begun working in Chapter 8? Why? Whom does the narrator describe Viviane first encountering at her job in the chapter?
2. How does Ava describe Emilienne as a mother in Chapter 4? How is her relationship with Viviane described?
3. On what holiday does Chapter 7 begin? How does the narrator describe the relationship between Jack and Viviane at this point?
4. How does Ava describe her birth in the novel’s Prologue? When and where was Ava born?
5. How would you describe the narrative style of The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender?
6. Where did Emilienne’s family move when she was eight, according to the narrator in Chapter 1? Why?
7. How is the character of John Griffith described in Chapter 5? How does John Griffith feel about Emilienne?
8. How does the onset of World War II affect the Griffith home in Chapter 5?
9. Where is Jack intending to attend school in Chapter 6? How does Jack feel about his prospects?
10. What occurrences does the narrator describe happening to Viviane when she is seven years old in Chapter 4?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)