|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry’s first word, “Trouver” mean in French?
(a) To find
(b) To kill
(c) To fear
(d) To love
2. What is the occupation of Emilienne Roux’s father?
(a) He is a phrenologist
(b) He is a wheat farmer
(c) He is a baker
(d) He is a bank accountant
3. What is Jack and Emilienne’s favorite spot that they go to after the movies in Chapter 5?
(a) Salmon Bay
(b) The Hideout Café
(c) The school parking lot
(d) The town reservoir
4. On what date is Ava Lavender born in the narrative?
(a) March 1, 1944
(b) May 11, 1959
(c) September 12, 1955
(d) April 29, 1959
5. What does Viviane do when Jack visits her at work to say “I’ll never forget you,” in Chapter 8?
(a) She vomits
(b) She shoots him
(c) She quits her job
(d) She slaps him
Short Answer Questions
1. When Wilhelmina first meets Emilienne in Chapter 3, she tells her, “Rumor has it you’re the neighborhood” what?
2. When does Gabe enlist in the military in Chapter 7?
3. What is the baby mobile made of that hangs over the crib in Chapter 9?
4. What creatures does the narrator describe Fatima Ines de Dores keeping as pets in Chapter 2?
5. From what narrative perspective is The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender related?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Jack intending to attend school in Chapter 6? How does Jack feel about his prospects?
2. When does Chapter 9 begin? How is Viviane’s condition described in the beginning of the chapter?
3. How does the narrator describe the death of Gabe’s mother in Chapter 7? How old is Gabe at this time?
4. How does the community of Pinnacle Lane respond to the death of Connor Lavender in Chapter 3?
5. Why does Viviane not pursue her ambitions as a stewardess in Chapter 8?
6. Where are Jack and Viviane in the beginning of Chapter 6? How old are they in the beginning of the chapter?
7. Where did Emilienne’s family move when she was eight, according to the narrator in Chapter 1? Why?
8. How does Ava describe Emilienne as a mother in Chapter 4? How is her relationship with Viviane described?
9. What does Ava say she wishes and wonders about her mother when she was young in Chapter 4?
10. How does Ava describe her birth in the novel’s Prologue? When and where was Ava born?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)