|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Wilhelmina first meets Emilienne in Chapter 3, she tells her, “Rumor has it you’re the neighborhood” what?
2. What is the name of the ship that Emilienne’s family boards for the United States in Chapter 1?
(a) The SS Portugal
(b) The SS France
(c) The SS Titanic
(d) The SS Manhatine
3. How does the narrator describe John Griffith’s vehicle in Chapter 6?
(a) 1971 Chevrolet Impala
(b) 1932 Ford Coupe
(c) 1950 Buick Sedanette
(d) 1951 Chevrolet Pickup
4. What is Wilhelmina’s last name?
5. How old is Gabe when he lies about his age to enlist in the military?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of John Griffith’s wife in the novel?
2. What is the baby mobile made of that hangs over the crib in Chapter 9?
3. What does Henry come screaming to his mother, causing her great alarm, in the beginning of Chapter 13?
4. What does Viviane do when Jack visits her at work to say “I’ll never forget you,” in Chapter 8?
5. What is Mrs. Cooper’s first name in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who brings gifts to Ava and Henry when they are two? What happens to this character?
2. How is the relationship between Fatima Ines de Dores and her brother described in Chapter 2?
3. Where has Viviane begun working in Chapter 8? Why? Whom does the narrator describe Viviane first encountering at her job in the chapter?
4. What was known by the community regarding the parentage of Viviane’s children, according to the narrator in Chapter 10?
5. What does Wilhelmina do the first two times she comes to Emilienne’s bakery in Chapter 3?
6. How is the character of Wilhelmina Dovewolf described in Chapter 3? How old is Wilhelmina when she arrives at Pinnacle Lane?
7. What does Ava say she wishes and wonders about her mother when she was young in Chapter 4?
8. How does Ava describe Emilienne as a mother in Chapter 4? How is her relationship with Viviane described?
9. How does the narrator describe the death of Gabe’s mother in Chapter 7? How old is Gabe at this time?
10. What causes Viviane to become concerned for Ava’s safety in the beginning of Chapter 13?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)