|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many months has it been since the Summer Solstice when Ava is brought home from the hospital in Chapter 25?
2. Whose truck does Ava see pulling away from her driveway as she nears her house in Chapter 20?
(b) William Peyton’s
(c) Laura Lovelorn’s
3. What is Henry doing when Viviane encounters him in Jack’s home in Chapter 22?
(a) Taking a bath
(b) Sculpting a model
(c) Screaming and crying
(d) Drawing a map
4. What breed of dog is Trouver said to be in Chapter 14?
(a) Great Dane
(b) Saint Bernard
(c) German Shepherd
(d) Great Pyrenees
5. In Emilienne’s dream in the beginning of Chapter 26, she is transported back to what location?
(d) New York
6. Who is Ava Lavender’s father in The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender?
(a) William Peyton
(b) Connor Lavender
(c) Jack Griffith
(d) Barnaby Callahoo
7. Who is the strange man sitting on Ava’s bed when she awakens in the night at the end of Chapter 25?
(a) Nathaniel Sorrows
(c) John Griffith
8. Emilienne says in her dream in Chapter 26 that you cannot play bezique with how many players?
9. Who packs up her suitcases and leaves her husband in Chapter 24?
(b) Laura Griffith
(c) Beatrix Griffith
10. What does Ava say Marigold Pie willed to her when she died, in Chapter 26?
(a) Her house
(b) Nathaniel’s journal
(c) Her car
(d) All of her belongings
11. According to the narrator in Chapter 26, “No one had occupied the third floor of our house since the days of” whom?
(a) William Peyton
(b) Beatrix Griffith
(d) Fatima Ines
12. When Jack solicits Viviane for them to try again, she cannot keep whose image from creeping into her mind in Chapter 22?
13. What do Ava and Cardigan use to concoct a harness to hold down Ava’s wings in Chapter 15?
(a) A roll of duct tape
(b) A leather belt
(c) A leather bridle
(d) A dog leash
14. What is Henry’s response when Viviane asks him in the truck in Chapter 22, “Are you okay?”
(a) I need to go home
(b) There’s water in the tower and leaves on the ground
(c) We need to go save Ava
(d) There’s a bee in the bush and a cat on the wall
15. What impairment does Rowe Cooper suffer from in the novel?
(a) He is asthmatic
(b) He stutters
(c) He is epileptic
(d) He is deaf
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks Ava on the rooftop in Chapter 26, “It is all right, now? Yes?”
2. What does Gabe have the idea to model his wings from in Chapter 14?
3. Who sends daily letters to Ava while she remains recuperating at home in Chapter 25?
4. In the diary entry that concludes Chapter 18, Nathaniel describes receiving a letter from whom relieving him of his duties at the church?
5. What term from Chapter 19 refers to the dancing spirits of rain and fertility in the mythology of the Hopis?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)