|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator in Chapter 26, “No one had occupied the third floor of our house since the days of” whom?
(a) Fatima Ines
(b) William Peyton
(c) Beatrix Griffith
2. Of Viviane, the narrator says in the beginning of Chapter 22, “She thought it unfair that her life should be both irrelevant and” what?
3. What is the date of the journal entry that concludes Chapter 16?
(a) April 29, 1959
(b) May 15, 1959
(c) September 12, 1955
(d) May 11, 1959
4. What is the name of Jack Griffith’s maid in Chapter 22?
5. What does Ava describe hanging over the mantle in Marigold Pie’s home in Chapter 23?
(a) A picture of the ocean
(b) A needlepoint kitten
(c) A stuffed deer head
(d) A portrait of a nun
6. When Viviane suffers from particularly bad bouts of insomnia, she drinks tea made from the crushed leaves of what flowers, according to the narrator in Chapter 16?
(a) California poppies
(c) Ghost orchids
7. Whom does Viviane encounter in the hospital waiting room when she steps out for some air in Chapter 24?
8. Who is Ava Lavender’s father in The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender?
(a) Barnaby Callahoo
(b) William Peyton
(c) Connor Lavender
(d) Jack Griffith
9. Who is the first person to discover Ava’s injured body in Chapter 24?
(a) Marigold Pie
10. In Chapter 18, Gabe begins taking work in other neighborhoods and asks out a waitress from what location?
(a) Bremen, Maine
(b) Little Rock, Arkansas
(c) New York, New York
(d) Oxford, Mississippi
11. How old is Rowe Cooper said to be in the beginning of Chapter 15?
12. Who discovers that Emilienne has passed away in Chapter 26?
13. Emilienne says in her dream in Chapter 26 that you cannot play bezique with how many players?
14. Who is the strange man sitting on Ava’s bed when she awakens in the night at the end of Chapter 25?
(a) John Griffith
(d) Nathaniel Sorrows
15. What does Ava say Marigold Pie did after awakening from her drugged state in Chapter 26?
(a) She became a baker
(b) She joined a circus
(c) She became a dietitian
(d) She became a nurse
Short Answer Questions
1. Who packs up her suitcases and leaves her husband in Chapter 24?
2. Whose address does Emilienne give to the police when she calls in Chapter 23?
3. What breed of dog is Trouver said to be in Chapter 14?
4. What color is Trouver the dog described as in Chapter 14?
5. The narrator says in Chapter 19 that in “ancient Gaul the midsummer celebration was called” what?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)