|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the journal entry dated that concludes Chapter 15?
(a) April 29, 1959
(b) March 1, 1944
(c) May 11, 1959
(d) September 12, 1955
2. What does Ava say Marigold Pie did after awakening from her drugged state in Chapter 26?
(a) She became a baker
(b) She became a nurse
(c) She became a dietitian
(d) She joined a circus
3. Whose truck does Ava see pulling away from her driveway as she nears her house in Chapter 20?
(a) Laura Lovelorn’s
(d) William Peyton’s
4. In the diary entry that concludes Chapter 18, Nathaniel describes receiving a letter from whom relieving him of his duties at the church?
(a) Pastor Smith
(b) Pastor Graves
(c) Pastor Williams
(d) Pastor Griffith
5. What word from Chapter 27 refers to the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning?
6. Ava sneaks out of her house at night to go where with Cardigan and Rowe in Chapter 15?
(a) The town reservoir
(b) The movie theater
(c) The Solstice festival
(d) On a fishing boat in the bay
7. Whom does Henry tell his mother is hurt in the conclusion of Chapter 22?
8. What does Gabe have the idea to model his wings from in Chapter 14?
(a) A butterfly
(b) An airplane
(c) A moth
(d) A bat
9. What month is it as Ava climbs to the roof of her house in Chapter 26?
10. Who have kept the bakery going during Ava’s recovery in Chapter 25?
(a) Viviane and Emilienne
(b) Wilhelmina and Penelope
(c) Beatrix and Penelope
(d) Fatima and Margaux
11. The narrator says in Chapter 19 that in “ancient Gaul the midsummer celebration was called” what?
(a) The Feast of Epona
(b) Gathering Day
(c) All Couples’ Day
12. In Chapter 18, Gabe begins taking work in other neighborhoods and asks out a waitress from what location?
(a) Little Rock, Arkansas
(b) Bremen, Maine
(c) Oxford, Mississippi
(d) New York, New York
13. The Lavender family’s home on Pinnacle Lane is described as being painted the color of what, in Chapter 27?
(a) California poppies
(b) Faded violets
(c) Faded periwinkles
14. What does Viviane see in the backyard where Jack had been searching for King Tut’s tomb when Viviane met him, in Chapter 22?
(a) A swimming pool
(b) A swing set
(c) A butterfly
(d) A crow
15. Where is the giant bonfire held every year at the Solstice Festival at Pinnacle Lane?
(a) The cemetery gates
(b) The school parking lot
(c) The town reservoir
(d) The church parking lot
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose apparition appears and leads Ava out of her house when she’s ill with fever in Chapter 17?
2. Who says in Emilienne’s dream in the beginning of Chapter 26, “We’ve been waiting for you. None of us can remember how to play bezique”?
3. What flower is said to be “the symbol for unrequited love” in Chapter 16?
4. What does Viviane recall Jack giving her as a gift before leaving for college in Chapter 14?
5. What “mule-headed” Shakespearean character is described in Chapter 19 as “stumbling from tents of sheer turquoise and white”?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)