|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator describe John Griffith’s vehicle in Chapter 6?
(a) 1951 Chevrolet Pickup
(b) 1971 Chevrolet Impala
(c) 1950 Buick Sedanette
(d) 1932 Ford Coupe
2. The yearly celebrations for Fatima Ines de Dores’s birthday at Pinnacle Lane fall on what holiday?
(a) Summer Solstice
(b) Winter Solstice
3. How old is Wilhelmina when she first appears in Pinnacle Lane in Chapter 3?
4. How does Emilienne’s husband die in the novel?
(a) He is shot in the back
(b) He falls from a cliff
(c) He has a heart attack
(d) He is hanged
5. What is the date of the journal entry that concludes Chapter 13?
(a) March 1, 1944
(b) March 1, 1904
(c) September 12, 1955
(d) April 29, 1959
6. The narrator describes Viviane in Chapter 4 as instigating a neighborhood rivalry with the kids from what area?
(b) Phinney Ridge
(c) Oak Park
(d) The Bronx
7. Where has Viviane taken a job in the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) A shoe store
(b) Her mother’s bakery
(c) A soda fountain
(d) A bank
8. How old is Ava Lavender when John Griffith undergoes a transformation and visits the bakery in his tattered bathrobe to speak to Emilienne in Chapter 10?
9. How does the narrator describe John Griffith’s feelings for Emilienne Lavender in the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) He loves her like a father
(b) He wishes to be her
(c) He lusts for her
(d) He regards her as a sister
10. What is the name of the Coopers’ daughter and Ava’s best friend in childhood?
11. Who is Emilienne’s schoolmate that constantly flirts with Jack Griffith in Chapter 5?
(a) Constance Quakenbush
(b) Sarah Callahoo
(c) Viviane Lavender
(d) Beatrix Griffith
12. Whom has Jack become engaged to in Chapter 8?
(a) Beatrix Griffith
(b) Laura Lovelorn
(c) Sarah Callahoo
(d) Constance Quakenbush
13. The narrator says of Viviane in Chapter 4, “As a toddler, she could easily whip up a batch of” what desserts?
(a) Petit fours
(d) Black and white cookies
14. It is January of what year when the narrator describes a new movie theater opening in West Seattle in Chapter 5?
15. What does Viviane say “Ava” means in Chapter 9?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Emilienne’s full name in the novel?
2. In what year does the Cooper family move next-door to the Lavenders in Chapter 10?
3. Why is Jack Griffith deemed unfit for combat in the military in Chapter 6?
4. When does Gabe enlist in the military in Chapter 7?
5. In the novel’s Prologue, the narrator states, “to many, I was myth incarnate, the embodiment of a most superb legend, a fairy tale. Some considered me a monster, a mutation. To my great misfortune, I was once mistaken for” what?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)