|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What herbs bundled together does Wilhelmina give to Emilienne to use in a cleansing ritual in Chapter 3?
(a) Mint and birch
(b) Sage and hyssop
(c) Cinnamon and allspice
(d) Pennyroyal and foxglove
2. What is the baby mobile made of that hangs over the crib in Chapter 9?
(a) Dried flowers
(b) Glass beads
3. What kind of animal does Pierette transform herself into at the age of fifteen?
(a) A dog
(b) A chicken
(c) A canary
(d) A cat
4. Who is described in Chapter 13 as Cardigan’s “latest acquisition”?
(a) Jeremiah Flannery
(b) Laura Lovelorn
(c) Nathaniel Sorrows
(d) William Peyton
5. Who works diligently on converting the spare bedroom into a nursery at the house on Pinnacle Lane in Chapter 9?
6. What term from the novel refers to the railed rooftop platform frequently found on 19th century North American coastal houses?
(b) Widow’s walk
7. In the novel’s Prologue, the narrator states, “to many, I was myth incarnate, the embodiment of a most superb legend, a fairy tale. Some considered me a monster, a mutation. To my great misfortune, I was once mistaken for” what?
(a) An angel
(b) A bird
(c) A goddess
(d) A woman
8. What is the Latin word for “feather” that Henry uses to refer to Ava in the novel?
9. Jack suggests to Emilienne in the conclusion of Chapter 5 that perhaps his father would not hate him so much if what were the case?
(a) If he weren’t blind
(b) If he married Emilienne
(c) If he weren’t dating Emilienne
(d) If he were going to attend college
10. What does Gabe work on building constantly in his work shed during Ava’s childhood in Chapter 10?
(a) A bassinet
(b) Life-size wings
(c) A houseboat
(d) A motorized airplane
11. How did Gabe’s mother support herself and her son, according to the narrator in Chapter 7?
(a) She was a librarian
(b) She sold flowers in a shop
(c) She prostituted herself
(d) She worked in a café
12. What is the name of Marigold Pie’s sister that comes to visit her once she’s become obese in Chapter 12?
(a) Iris Sorrows
(b) Beatrix Griffith
(c) Laura Lovelorn
(d) Constance Quakenbush
13. Where has Viviane taken a job in the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) A bank
(b) A shoe store
(c) Her mother’s bakery
(d) A soda fountain
14. Who is Emilienne’s schoolmate that constantly flirts with Jack Griffith in Chapter 5?
(a) Sarah Callahoo
(b) Viviane Lavender
(c) Beatrix Griffith
(d) Constance Quakenbush
15. How much does the Widow Marigold Pie weigh before she begins patronizing Emilienne’s bakery in Chapter 12?
(a) 100 lbs
(b) 85 lbs
(c) 75 lbs
(d) 95 lbs
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry come screaming to his mother, causing her great alarm, in the beginning of Chapter 13?
2. What is Wilhelmina’s last name?
3. What does Henry’s first word, “Trouver” mean in French?
4. It is January of what year when the narrator describes a new movie theater opening in West Seattle in Chapter 5?
5. How old is Ava Lavender when John Griffith undergoes a transformation and visits the bakery in his tattered bathrobe to speak to Emilienne in Chapter 10?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)