|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The behavioral traits that are exhibited by Henry Lavender in the novel suggest that he might suffer from what condition?
(a) Chronic asthma
(c) Paranoid schizophrenia
(d) Autism spectrum disorder
2. What is Mrs. Cooper’s first name in the novel?
3. How old is Jack Griffith when “more than two thousand soldiers launch the U.S. into World War II” in Chapter 5?
4. What university is Jack Griffith planning to attend in Chapter 6?
(a) Whitman College
(b) Brown University
(c) Rutgers University
(d) Harvard College
5. The narrator describes Gabe’s mother as having told him she was of what descent in Chapter 7?
6. What creatures does the narrator describe Fatima Ines de Dores keeping as pets in Chapter 2?
7. In what year does the Cooper family move next-door to the Lavenders in Chapter 10?
8. How does the narrator describe John Griffith’s vehicle in Chapter 6?
(a) 1932 Ford Coupe
(b) 1951 Chevrolet Pickup
(c) 1950 Buick Sedanette
(d) 1971 Chevrolet Impala
9. How much does the Widow Marigold Pie weigh before she begins patronizing Emilienne’s bakery in Chapter 12?
(a) 95 lbs
(b) 75 lbs
(c) 100 lbs
(d) 85 lbs
10. Viviane Lavender is described in the novel as having an acute sense of what?
11. What is the name of Marigold Pie’s nephew that is sent to care for her after she’s become obese in Chapter 12?
(a) William Peyton
(b) Rene Roux
(c) Barnaby Callahoo
(d) Nathaniel Sorrows
12. What is the name of John Griffith’s wife in the novel?
13. What is the occupation of Emilienne Roux’s father?
(a) He is a baker
(b) He is a phrenologist
(c) He is a bank accountant
(d) He is a wheat farmer
14. What is the name of the Coopers’ daughter and Ava’s best friend in childhood?
15. What does Ava say “etoile de mer” translates to from French in Chapter 11?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Ava Lavender’s twin brother in the novel?
2. The yearly celebrations for Fatima Ines de Dores’s birthday at Pinnacle Lane fall on what holiday?
3. It is January of what year when the narrator describes a new movie theater opening in West Seattle in Chapter 5?
4. What is the name of the man that Emilienne marries and moves to Seattle with in Chapter 2?
5. How old is Emilienne when her family immigrates to the United States?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)