|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Marigold Pie’s sister that comes to visit her once she’s become obese in Chapter 12?
(a) Beatrix Griffith
(b) Laura Lovelorn
(c) Constance Quakenbush
(d) Iris Sorrows
2. Who works diligently on converting the spare bedroom into a nursery at the house on Pinnacle Lane in Chapter 9?
3. Who shoots and kills Rene Roux in Chapter 1?
(a) John Griffith
(b) Mrs. Barnaby Callahoo
(c) William Peyton
(d) Beatrix Griffith
4. When Wilhelmina first meets Emilienne in Chapter 3, she tells her, “Rumor has it you’re the neighborhood” what?
5. What is Emilienne’s full name in the novel?
(a) Emilienne Beatrix Roux
(b) Emilienne Margaux Roux
(c) Emilienne Viviane Lavender
(d) Emilienne Adou Solange Roux
6. Where is Jack Griffith going to move to attend college in Chapter 6?
(a) Walla Walla, Washington
(b) Seattle, Washington
(c) New Brunswick, New Jersey
(d) Spokane, Washington
7. What is the name of Ava Lavender’s twin brother in the novel?
(a) Gabe Lavender
(b) Henry Lavender
(c) Jack Lavender
(d) John Lavender
8. When Viviane first meets Jack Griffith, he is digging a hole in his yard that he believes will lead him to what?
(a) The remains of King Tut
(b) The Hoover Dam
(c) The Arctic Ocean
9. How many times does the narrator say Emilienne Roux fell in love before her nineteenth birthday in Chapter 1?
10. What is the occupation of Emilienne Roux’s father?
(a) He is a baker
(b) He is a wheat farmer
(c) He is a bank accountant
(d) He is a phrenologist
11. What does Wilhelmina leave in the place of the loaf of bread she takes from the bakery when she first visits in Chapter 3?
(a) A potato
(b) A cedar basket
(c) A shell bracelet
(d) A cup of coffee
12. How old is Wilhelmina when she first appears in Pinnacle Lane in Chapter 3?
13. The narrator describes Viviane in Chapter 4 as instigating a neighborhood rivalry with the kids from what area?
(a) The Bronx
(b) Oak Park
(c) Phinney Ridge
14. How old is Emilienne when her family immigrates to the United States?
15. How old is Viviane when she finds the white dress that resembles a child-size wedding gown in a closet in the house in Chapter 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator says in Chapter 4, “The neighborhood boys teased Jack mercilessly until learning that Viviane Lavender could” do what?
2. How did Gabe’s mother support herself and her son, according to the narrator in Chapter 7?
3. In the community of Pinnacle Lane, Emilienne is perceived by her neighbors to be what during her first year there?
4. What is the name of the man that Emilienne marries and moves to Seattle with in Chapter 2?
5. What year is it when Emilienne’s family immigrates to the United States?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)