|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Viviane apply for a position as a stewardess in Chapter 8?
(a) American Airlines
(b) United Airlines
(c) Air France
(d) Southwest Airlines
2. Fatima Ines de Dores is said to be of what descent in Chapter 2?
3. The narrator describes Viviane in Chapter 4 as instigating a neighborhood rivalry with the kids from what area?
(a) Phinney Ridge
(b) Oak Park
(d) The Bronx
4. What is the name of Ava Lavender’s twin brother in the novel?
(a) John Lavender
(b) Henry Lavender
(c) Gabe Lavender
(d) Jack Lavender
5. What herbs bundled together does Wilhelmina give to Emilienne to use in a cleansing ritual in Chapter 3?
(a) Cinnamon and allspice
(b) Sage and hyssop
(c) Mint and birch
(d) Pennyroyal and foxglove
6. In what year do Ava and Henry turn fifteen in Chapter 12?
7. Who is Emilienne’s schoolmate that constantly flirts with Jack Griffith in Chapter 5?
(a) Sarah Callahoo
(b) Beatrix Griffith
(c) Constance Quakenbush
(d) Viviane Lavender
8. The narrator says of Viviane in Chapter 4, “As a toddler, she could easily whip up a batch of” what desserts?
(b) Petit fours
(d) Black and white cookies
9. What word from Chapter 4 refers to a person not suited in behavior or attitude to his social environment?
10. What abnormality does Ava describe herself as having been born with in the narrative?
(b) Odd-colored eyes
(c) White hair
11. When Viviane first meets Jack Griffith, he is digging a hole in his yard that he believes will lead him to what?
(a) The remains of King Tut
(b) The Arctic Ocean
(c) The Hoover Dam
12. How does Emilienne’s husband die in the novel?
(a) He falls from a cliff
(b) He has a heart attack
(c) He is hanged
(d) He is shot in the back
13. What does Henry’s first word, “Trouver” mean in French?
(a) To fear
(b) To love
(c) To find
(d) To kill
14. How does the narrator describe John Griffith’s vehicle in Chapter 6?
(a) 1951 Chevrolet Pickup
(b) 1932 Ford Coupe
(c) 1950 Buick Sedanette
(d) 1971 Chevrolet Impala
15. How old is Emilienne when her family immigrates to the United States?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Viviane do when Jack visits her at work to say “I’ll never forget you,” in Chapter 8?
2. How many times does the narrator say Emilienne Roux fell in love before her nineteenth birthday in Chapter 1?
3. What is Mrs. Cooper’s first name in the novel?
4. How old is Ava Lavender when John Griffith undergoes a transformation and visits the bakery in his tattered bathrobe to speak to Emilienne in Chapter 10?
5. Who visits Viviane and brings gifts for her children when they are two years old, saying to Viviane, “You shouldn’t have to do this alone”?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)