|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would be held on St Cecilia's day?
2. What is being manufactured in Enniseala?
3. What did the army offer Horahan when his period of service ended?
4. Which of the following trades did a Gault go into?
5. What does the old man have in his house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lucy make during the wintertime? What is its significance?
2. Where does Lucy go? How does she feel about being there?
3. How has Lucy's life and the world around her changed?
4. What happens to Heloise in this chapter?
5. How do Lucy and Everard react when they are reunited?
6. Why does Lucy not write to Ralph?
7. How are Everard and Lucy getting along?
8. What has happened in history since the previous chapter? How has Ralph fared as a soldier?
9. What do the nuns admire about Lucy? How does Lucy feel about her life?
10. What trade is Henry teaching himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a personal essay on chance, and the sometimes critical role it can play in how our lives are shaped. Be sure to use the example of Lucy Gault as a reference point in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay documenting the varying roles religion can play in the lives of individuals. Be sure to address:
1) How religion can serve in a support role for those in need.
2) The role of religious doctrine in the morality, lifestyle choices, and overall lives of individuals.
3) The role of religious institutions throughout history and across the world in politics, charity, foreign aid, and so on.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that documents one person's (fictional or real) experience with a physical impairment, such as blindness, mobility issues, and so on. Be sure to address:
1) Difficulties that this person faces every day.
2) Social stigmas associated with the impairment.
3) Quality of life issues.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)