|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By tradition, how are Gault gravestones laid out?
2. When does Lucy visit her mother's grave?
3. How old is Everard in this chapter?
4. What caves has Lucy never been to?
5. What hobby does Lucy take up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Everard's journey back to Lahardane.
2. What do the nuns admire about Lucy? How does Lucy feel about her life?
3. How do characters age in this chapter?
4. What does Ralph buy? Why does he do it?
5. What happens to Heloise in this chapter?
6. How has Lucy's life and the world around her changed?
7. What has happened in history since the previous chapter? How has Ralph fared as a soldier?
8. Describe Horahan's visit with the Gaults.
9. Why does Lucy not write to Ralph?
10. What is Ralph doing now? Is he writing to Lucy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay documenting the history of influenza, its effect upon the human race, how medical science has aided our fight against the flu, and the continued dangers posed by influenza epidemics.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on tragedies. Be sure to address:
1) What makes a film, play, or novel a 'tragedy.'
2) Different styles of tragedies, including some well-known examples.
3) What tragedies can teach us, and the messages that they generally convey to audiences.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that serves as a fictional biography of Horahan, the man who as a boy was shot by Captain Gault. Feel free to take artistic license through creative writing to fill in any gaps left by the narrative of the novel.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)