|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occupation does the railway porter pursue next?
2. What is carved on the trees?
3. How old is Lucy at the beginning of the story?
4. What does Henry notice at Paddy Lindon's house?
5. How many pages are there in Vanity Fair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the new army recruit? Why has he joined the military?
2. What are Everard and Heloise doing in this chapter?
3. How is Lucy found? What condition is she in?
4. What does Lucy look like now?
5. How does Horahan conduct himself as a soldier?
6. How is Horahan regarded by others in the Camp? How does he feel?
7. How is Lucy treated when she returns to school?
8. Why could Lucy not walk back to the house? How did she feel while stranded in the woods?
9. What is the financial and emotional state of Lucy's parents? Where have they gone?
10. How has Lucy changed in this chapter? How is she doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a short essay that serves as a how-to guide for surviving in the wilderness. The guide can be specialized to fit one specific survival situation (such as deserts or forested areas), or cover the basics to fit a wide range of contexts.
Essay Topic 2
Write a personal essay on chance, and the sometimes critical role it can play in how our lives are shaped. Be sure to use the example of Lucy Gault as a reference point in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that serves as a fictional biography of Horahan, the man who as a boy was shot by Captain Gault. Feel free to take artistic license through creative writing to fill in any gaps left by the narrative of the novel.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)