|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month of 1923 does the conflict in Ireland end?
2. What does the recruit ask for directions to?
3. What are there rumors of in Europe?
4. What part of the farming has Lucy taken up?
5. What building did Horahan once paint the windows of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the financial and emotional state of Lucy's parents? Where have they gone?
2. What was Ralph's childhood like?
3. What are Ralph's feelings towards Lucy? Do you think they would always stay that way?
4. What does Lucy look like now?
5. How is Lucy found? What condition is she in?
6. Who is the railway porter? How was he injured?
7. How has Lucy changed in this chapter? How is she doing?
8. How does Horahan conduct himself as a soldier?
9. Who is the new army recruit? Why has he joined the military?
10. Describe Ralph's visit with Lucy. What do they talk about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that documents the 'normal' experience of someone who joins the military. Be sure to address:
1) Common reasons for those who join the military, and the realism of these expectations.
2) The day-to-day experience of a person in the military.
3) Pros and cons of being a soldier.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay documenting the varying roles religion can play in the lives of individuals. Be sure to address:
1) How religion can serve in a support role for those in need.
2) The role of religious doctrine in the morality, lifestyle choices, and overall lives of individuals.
3) The role of religious institutions throughout history and across the world in politics, charity, foreign aid, and so on.
Essay Topic 3
Research and write an essay that serves as an introductory guide to the grieving process that would be useful to those who have recently experienced a loss.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)