|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. O'Reilly do when he sees Lucy?
2. How does Aloysius Sullivan's neuralgic affliction manifest itself?
3. Where do Everard and Heloise order coffee?
4. What does Horahan pray for?
5. What book does Canon Crosbie give Lucy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ralph's visit with Lucy. What do they talk about?
2. How has Lucy changed in this chapter? How is she doing?
3. How is Horahan regarded by others in the Camp? How does he feel?
4. How is Ralph's accidental visit to Lahardane regarded by others in the community?
5. How are the events at Lahardane perceived by others?
6. What is Horahan afraid of?
7. Who is the railway porter? How was he injured?
8. Why could Lucy not walk back to the house? How did she feel while stranded in the woods?
9. How is Lucy found? What condition is she in?
10. What forces the Gaults to leave Italy? Where do they go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on tragedies. Be sure to address:
1) What makes a film, play, or novel a 'tragedy.'
2) Different styles of tragedies, including some well-known examples.
3) What tragedies can teach us, and the messages that they generally convey to audiences.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay documenting a trade of your choice. Be sure to address:
1) Education and experience required for this profession.
2) Pros and cons of this trade, and how it has changed over time.
3) The demand for this skill in today's marketplace.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay documenting the lasting and failed romance between Lucy and Ralph. Be sure to address:
1) Symbolism visible in their relationship.
2) Barriers and stumbling blocks to Lucy and Ralph being together.
3) Lessons that can be learned from Lucy and Ralph's example.
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)