|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Ralph going to stay?
2. What building did Horahan once paint the windows of?
3. What is the date on the letter that Lucy sends to Ralph?
4. What were the men who the recruit asked for directions doing?
5. Who has arrived?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Ralph's feelings towards Lucy? Do you think they would always stay that way?
2. How does Lucy see her future and present circumstances?
3. How is Lucy referred to in this chapter?
4. Who is the new army recruit? Why has he joined the military?
5. What is Ralph doing now? Is he writing to Lucy?
6. What attracted Everard to military life?
7. How do characters age in this chapter?
8. What trade is Henry teaching himself?
9. What type of education does Canon Crosbie want for Lucy, and why can she not get it? What do you think would be best for Lucy?
10. How does Ralph feel about his life and marriage?
Essay Topic 1
Research and write an essay that serves as a travel guide for someone traveling to Italy. Be sure to include:
1) Common destinations and sites in Italy.
2) Preparations required for an extended vacation in Italy, including some Italian phrases.
3) Customs and experiences unique to Italy.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay documenting the historical changes in science and technology that can be seen in The Story of Lucy Gault by William Trevor. Be sure to include:
1) Major scientific innovations that are mentioned in the novel, and some that are not mentioned.
2) What you feel is the most important innovation during this time, and why.
3) How Lucy reacts to the changing world around her, and how typical this reaction is.
Essay Topic 3
Write a personal essay on chance, and the sometimes critical role it can play in how our lives are shaped. Be sure to use the example of Lucy Gault as a reference point in your essay.
This section contains 1,728 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)