|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Everard and Heloise are listening to a band play music from what opera?
2. What does Ralph have with Lucy?
3. What book does Canon Crosbie give Lucy?
4. What does Lucy bring in for tea?
5. What did Aloysius Sullivan's mother say you could find in a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ralph's visit with Lucy. What do they talk about?
2. How does Lucy feel about leaving? What does she do?
3. How are the events at Lahardane perceived by others?
4. How is Horahan regarded by others in the Camp? How does he feel?
5. How does Heloise feel in this chapter?
6. What responses does Mr. Sullivan receive to his inquiries?
7. What memories haunt Everard Gault?
8. What is the financial and emotional state of Lucy's parents? Where have they gone?
9. Who is the new army recruit? Why has he joined the military?
10. What forces the Gaults to leave Italy? Where do they go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research and write an essay that serves as an introductory guide to the grieving process that would be useful to those who have recently experienced a loss.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay documenting the historical changes in science and technology that can be seen in The Story of Lucy Gault by William Trevor. Be sure to include:
1) Major scientific innovations that are mentioned in the novel, and some that are not mentioned.
2) What you feel is the most important innovation during this time, and why.
3) How Lucy reacts to the changing world around her, and how typical this reaction is.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay documenting the history of influenza, its effect upon the human race, how medical science has aided our fight against the flu, and the continued dangers posed by influenza epidemics.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)