|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Everard, what are he and Heloise playing at?
2. Why does the porter change his occupation?
3. Who wept when Horahan joined the military?
4. Where should Lucy stay now?
5. What does Horahan not dare to do in the chapel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Lucy treated when she returns to school?
2. What forces the Gaults to leave Italy? Where do they go?
3. How does Horahan conduct himself as a soldier?
4. How is Captain Gault affected by his injuries?
5. How do the Gaults spend their time in Italy?
6. What is the financial and emotional state of Lucy's parents? Where have they gone?
7. Who is the new army recruit? Why has he joined the military?
8. What was Ralph's childhood like?
9. What responses does Mr. Sullivan receive to his inquiries?
10. What memories haunt Everard Gault?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a personal essay on chance, and the sometimes critical role it can play in how our lives are shaped. Be sure to use the example of Lucy Gault as a reference point in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on tragedies. Be sure to address:
1) What makes a film, play, or novel a 'tragedy.'
2) Different styles of tragedies, including some well-known examples.
3) What tragedies can teach us, and the messages that they generally convey to audiences.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on parenting, documenting the roles and responsibilities of parents and children. Be sure to address how parenting has changed over time, and how the experience of today's parents is different from those of previous centuries.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)