|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Heloise not want Everard to make her do?
2. What do people believe happened to the Gaults?
3. When do the Gaults leave?
4. Where was the porter shot?
5. How many children are in Lucy's class?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think will happen to Everard and Heloise Gault?
2. What type of education does Canon Crosbie want for Lucy, and why can she not get it? What do you think would be best for Lucy?
3. What is the financial and emotional state of Lucy's parents? Where have they gone?
4. What does Lucy look like now?
5. How does Horahan conduct himself as a soldier?
6. What forces the Gaults to leave Italy? Where do they go?
7. How do the Gaults spend their time in Italy?
8. How does Lucy see her future and present circumstances?
9. What is Horahan afraid of?
10. How is Lucy treated when she returns to school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that documents the 'normal' experience of someone who joins the military. Be sure to address:
1) Common reasons for those who join the military, and the realism of these expectations.
2) The day-to-day experience of a person in the military.
3) Pros and cons of being a soldier.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay documenting the challenges and difficulties faced by the elderly in modern society. Be sure to address:
1) Financial, physical, and emotional challenges faced by the elderly.
2) The possible effects of a growing aging population on modern societies.
3) How life expectancies and quality of life has changed throughout history.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that serves as a fictional biography of Horahan, the man who as a boy was shot by Captain Gault. Feel free to take artistic license through creative writing to fill in any gaps left by the narrative of the novel.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)