|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was abandoned while the boys were running away?
2. What does Heloise do outside the church?
3. Where do the Gaults settle?
4. What are the Captain's only assets?
5. How many fishermen from Kilauran are lost at sea?
Short Essay Questions
1. What memories haunt Everard Gault?
2. How does Horahan conduct himself as a soldier?
3. Describe Ralph's visit with Lucy. What do they talk about?
4. What do you think will happen to Everard and Heloise Gault?
5. How does the porter, and later house painter, feel about what he did when he was injured?
6. What is Horahan afraid of?
7. Who is the railway porter? How was he injured?
8. How is Ralph's accidental visit to Lahardane regarded by others in the community?
9. What does Lucy look like now?
10. How do the Gaults spend their time in Italy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the Second World War. Be sure to address:
1) Causes of the war.
2) How the war was fought and won by Allied powers.
3) The lasting effect of World War Two on world history.
Essay Topic 2
Write a personal essay on chance, and the sometimes critical role it can play in how our lives are shaped. Be sure to use the example of Lucy Gault as a reference point in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay documenting the lasting and failed romance between Lucy and Ralph. Be sure to address:
1) Symbolism visible in their relationship.
2) Barriers and stumbling blocks to Lucy and Ralph being together.
3) Lessons that can be learned from Lucy and Ralph's example.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)