|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bridget enjoy?
2. What does Ralph have with Lucy?
3. What does Mr. O'Reilly do when he sees Lucy?
4. What are the Captain's only assets?
5. Who wept when Horahan joined the military?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Heloise feel?
2. How is Ralph's accidental visit to Lahardane regarded by others in the community?
3. What type of education does Canon Crosbie want for Lucy, and why can she not get it? What do you think would be best for Lucy?
4. Why could Lucy not walk back to the house? How did she feel while stranded in the woods?
5. How does Heloise feel in this chapter?
6. How is Captain Gault affected by his injuries?
7. What responses does Mr. Sullivan receive to his inquiries?
8. How do the Gaults spend their time in Italy?
9. What was Ralph's childhood like?
10. How is Lucy treated when she returns to school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that documents the 'normal' experience of someone who joins the military. Be sure to address:
1) Common reasons for those who join the military, and the realism of these expectations.
2) The day-to-day experience of a person in the military.
3) Pros and cons of being a soldier.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay documenting the challenges and difficulties faced by the elderly in modern society. Be sure to address:
1) Financial, physical, and emotional challenges faced by the elderly.
2) The possible effects of a growing aging population on modern societies.
3) How life expectancies and quality of life has changed throughout history.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that documents the history of the Irish Civil War of 1922-1923. Be sure to address:
1) Major parties and individuals of the conflict.
2) Historical context and causes of the conflict.
3) How the war was resolved, and its lasting effect on Irish history and politics until the present day.
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)