|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the Gault family originally from?
2. How many fishermen from Kilauran are lost at sea?
3. What is the name of the Gault house in Ireland?
4. What does Canon Crosby ask about?
5. What is the date on the letter that Lucy sends to Ralph?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Everard reflect on his marriage to Heloise?
2. How do the Gaults spend their time in Italy?
3. Describe Everard's journey back to Lahardane.
4. How does Lucy feel now about waiting for her father's return? How does Everard feel?
5. What memories haunt Everard Gault?
6. What forces the Gaults to leave Italy? Where do they go?
7. Who is the main subject of this chapter? Where is he, and what is he doing?
8. What has happened in history since the previous chapter? How has Ralph fared as a soldier?
9. How does Horahan interpret the return of the Captain? How does he feel?
10. What does Ralph buy? Why does he do it?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that serves as a fictional biography of Horahan, the man who as a boy was shot by Captain Gault. Feel free to take artistic license through creative writing to fill in any gaps left by the narrative of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write a personal essay on chance, and the sometimes critical role it can play in how our lives are shaped. Be sure to use the example of Lucy Gault as a reference point in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay documenting the historical changes in science and technology that can be seen in The Story of Lucy Gault by William Trevor. Be sure to include:
1) Major scientific innovations that are mentioned in the novel, and some that are not mentioned.
2) What you feel is the most important innovation during this time, and why.
3) How Lucy reacts to the changing world around her, and how typical this reaction is.
This section contains 1,584 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)