|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is carved on the trees?
2. What is the date on the letter that Lucy sends to Ralph?
(a) August 12th, 1934.
(b) August 22nd, 1935.
(c) August 1st, 1930.
(d) August 5th, 1936.
3. What is Mr. Ryall's occupation?
(a) Bank agent.
(d) Insurance salesman.
4. In what month does the porter experience a cold day?
5. What are there rumors of in Europe?
(b) Communist influence.
(d) Natural disaster.
6. Why does the porter change his occupation?
(a) To make more money.
(b) To become busier.
(c) To leave his current town.
(d) He injures his back shoveling coal and has no choice.
7. How old is Lucy at the beginning of the story?
8. What does Heloise long for?
(a) A new life.
9. What color is the woodwork in the kitchen?
(b) Dark brown.
10. Where is Ralph going to stay?
(b) In Ireland.
(c) With the Ryalls.
(d) In a studio apartment in the city.
11. How does Henry greet Ralph?
(a) He salutes.
(b) He jumps up and shouts.
(c) He lights a cigarette and says nothing.
(d) He waves.
12. How does Henry react to the news that Ralph is returning for a visit?
(a) He says nothing.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He is very excited.
(d) He is depressed and moody.
13. What did Aloysius Sullivan's mother say you could find in a child?
(b) The Devil.
(c) Innocence when there seems to be none.
(d) Strength of the highest order.
14. Who declares himself for peace, and then for war?
(a) Amerigo Dumini.
(b) Cesare Battisti.
(c) Rachele Guidi.
(d) Benito Mussolini.
15. How does Heloise feel?
Short Answer Questions
1. What will Lucy have from now on because of her injuries?
2. What is repeated in Horahan's sleep?
3. What is extended due to the situation in Europe?
4. What do people believe happened to the Gaults?
5. In what month was the English afternoon that Everard remembers?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)