Part 1, Chapter 1 | Part 1, Chapter 2
• Captain Gault shoots one of three boys who were trying to burn down his house.
• Heloise Gault decides that the family, including their daughter Lucy, must flee.
• Lucy opposes this decision and runs away, injuring herself in the process.
• Captain Gault discovers his daughter's clothes on the beach, and assumes that she has drowned.
• Lucy's parents, convinced that their daughter is dead and unable to remain, leave Ireland without a means to be contacted.
Part 1, Chapter 3 | Part 1, Chapter 4
• Henry finds Lucy, who is barely alive, at an abandoned cottage.
• A telegram is sent, but Lucy's parents are not at this address and have traveled on.
• Lucy's parents travel through Europe with no clear destination in mind.
Part 1, Chapter 5 | Part 1, Chapter 6
• Aloysius Sullivan, the solicitor, embarks on an unsuccessful quest to contact Lucy's parents.
• Lucy's parents begin a quiet life in Montemarmoreo, Italy.
Part 1, Chapter 7 | Part 1, Chapter 8
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)